Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Well, that was deadly excitement. Gotta love a penalty shootout. Couldn't handle that in September though. I'd have a stroke.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Meath were at about two thirds of their starters I'd say. Some of their better known names seemed to play well. In fairness to them they missed a pile of wides and dropped a lot short judging by the commentary.

Sounded like a fairly open game despite the new rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,769 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Meath were at about two thirds of their starters I'd say. Some of their better known names seemed to play well. In fairness to them they missed a pile of wides and dropped a lot short judging by the commentary.

Meath missed a lot of scoreable chances plus they were given a point that was flagged wide by one umpire in the first half. I thought it was wide as well!
    Dublin had a lot of possession but were afraid to shoot a lot of the time which was annoying when they were in great positions to score.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

How'd the new rules go, for anyone that was there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

Slattsy wrote: »
    How'd the new rules go, for anyone that was there?

Twice while attacking Meath fell foul of the hand pass rule, other than that personally I didn’t see any other problem with the new rules. Wether we won or lost tonight you had to admire how that young team played, confident & patient on the ball & stood up to the physicality. McDaid MOTM for me. Slightly disappointed with Reddin & Mullaly though. Under no pressure Reddin didn’t have to kick the ball away & then to take the black. Can’t say Mullaly did anything wrong, just for me he didn’t stand out enough for a lad who is on the senior panel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

New rules were ok. Dublin had some big lads inside in the square but I don't think we got any offensive marks.

Meath got one, Newman I think.

It was a competitive game. Dublin got little change from the breaking ball kicked into the forwards. However some of the lads, Gavin in particular were very strong on the run broke numerous tackles.

Badly opened up for the first meath goal, Reilly had an immediate impact, but fluffed a good chance at the end for Meath

umpire cost a point per half with very funny calls.

I thought the game was perfect for Reddin but he looked off today,.
    McDaid and Ryan Basquel had decent games.

At the end it got a bit hectic, Dublin had 2 or 3 wides then meath had about 4. That's when meath broke the handpass rule twice.

Hazley came on, huge man looked like Captain America had a big impact, won a mark, Gavin stepped it up a bit too and covers the ground much faster than you'd think looking at him.

Thought Sean McMahon and C Smith were good at the back. O'Connor didn't have a good day imo.

The starting forward line didn't look fantastic either.

Over all some of the lads were strong runners, good few high challenges in the game.

Side note, Meath manager spent a lot of time on the pitch abusing people in the second half, didn't look good. One of the mentors kept him away from people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Noticed the dodgy points, fairly sure one that was marked wide in second half and was clearly over from where I was watching.

Noticed the Meath manager go on the pitch once first half. I think Meath where lucky not to get a reds at one or two stages of the game (fairly sure there was a dodgy tackle in first half and from what I could see it might have went to the face). Ref turned a blind eye to literally questionable events in front of his eyes.

All played great, not good with names but number 7 and 8 stood out to me, 8 has great pace with the ball.

Good night for both teams in fairness, very easily could have been Meath taking home the win.

TallGlass wrote:
    All played great, not good with names but number 7 and 8 stood out to me, 8 has great pace with the ball.

8 was Gavin

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Stoner wrote: »
    8 was Gavin

Any relation to The Great One?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Sonny678

EICVD wrote: »
    I’d be very disappointed with that if I was a Meath fan. Couldn’t beat that very inexperienced Dublin team with defensive tactics & physicality. Ref was awful in the first half & the usual Meath tactic of hitting bad wides looks like it’ll never go away.

Dublin inexperienced team defeated Meath inexperienced team on penos.

Meath also played an experimental, inexperienced team. Meath had 6 players starting who have never played a league or championship match for Meath before eg Ronan Ryan, Niall Kane, Barry Dardis, Niall Hickey, Danny Quinn and Darragh Campion. While Marcus Brennan, James Conlon and Gavin Mcoy came on as subs. None of those 3 have played league or championship match for Meath before. Thats 9 Meath players that played v Dublin were Meath debutants really. It was very inexperienced Meath team also. 9 players who never played for Meath seniors in championship or league before played v the Dubs team last night.

• Advertisement

Fann Linn wrote:
    Any relation to The Great One?

Don't know sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Son of Galway's Fergal Gavin apparently.

Consensus seems to be from interviews with players and managers who have seen the new rules is virtual unanimous opposition to the hand pass rule. Listening to the game that seemed to be view of commentators and the RTE clip of Meath being pulled up for extra hand pass looked ridiculous. At very least I would say that is one change that will be binned.

Sin bin seems to have been used effectively last night in that it clearly represents a meaningful penalty on teams compared to black card. Might be an improvement.

Kick outs and sidelines changes seem to be rather pointless and certainly not contribution to free flowing football. Offensive mark, only recall one from commentary last night, has been compared to Aussie Rules. And that should be all you need to know about that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Gael85

Patww79 wrote: »
    Son of Galway's Fergal Gavin apparently.

Correct

Stoner wrote: »
    Side note, Meath manager spent a lot of time on the pitch abusing people in the second half, didn't look good. One of the mentors kept him away from people.

What was the story with him invading the pitch all the time?
    The ref did nothing to stop him.
    There were plenty of times McEntee was virtually in the middle of the pitch at times.

What was the story with him invading the pitch all the time? The ref did nothing to stop him. There were plenty of times McEntee was virtually in the middle of the pitch at times.

No idea, gave the linesman loads too

Hurlers beaten by a point.

Umpire waved a cast iron Dublin score wide. Where do they get these wasters?

All the rest of us have to pay in to see the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Sonny678 wrote: »
    Dublin inexperienced team defeated Meath inexperienced team on penos.

Meath also played an experimental, inexperienced team. Meath had 6 players starting who have never played a league or championship match for Meath before eg Ronan Ryan, Niall Kane, Barry Dardis, Niall Hickey, Danny Quinn and Darragh Campion. While Marcus Brennan, James Conlon and Gavin Mcoy came on as subs. None of those 3 have played league or championship match for Meath before. Thats 9 Meath players that played v Dublin were Meath debutants really. It was very inexperienced Meath team also. 9 players who never played for Meath seniors in championship or league before played v the Dubs team last night.

Welcome back!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Hurlers beaten by a point.

Umpire waved a cast iron Dublin score wide. Where do they get these wasters?

All the rest of us have to pay in to see the game.

Was there a goal disallowed also?

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Was there a goal disallowed also?

Yes.

• Advertisement

Bonniedog wrote:
    Kick outs and sidelines changes seem to be rather pointless and certainly not contribution to free flowing football. Offensive mark, only recall one from commentary last night, has been compared to Aussie Rules. And that should be all you need to know about that!

I don't like the offensive mark in Aussie rules, once lads start playing for the mark, it's becomes very stop start imo, they go out to win in and have no idea about anything else going on in the game, the winning of the ball and delivery of a decent pass from a half forward to someone inside is a great skill. These passes that Flynn made in his hay day and the gooch made for years are celebrated part of the game.

The offensive mark is one of the things that for me at least makes Aussie Rules almost unwatchable. Obviously not the committee men!

Do we really want to see teams pinging the ball into a 6' 6" forward who catches it and then we have a minute's delay before he tries to kick it over the bar.

The offensive mark is one of the things that for me at least makes Aussie Rules almost unwatchable. Obviously not the committee men!

Do we really want to see teams pinging the ball into a 6' 6" forward who catches it and then we have a minute's delay before he tries to kick it over the bar.

Agreed, that is what makes it odd. Makes it almost like a mini time-out.
    Ruins the flow.

Was good comeback by hurlers today which shows there is fight in them anyway. Good to have a bit of an edge as well! Hetherton is turning out to be a bit of a find and I wouldn't have thought so having watched him with Vinnies.

I'd say Kenny has fair idea of the nucleus of a team at this stage. Indeed, it could be argued that the team today was weakest he has put out so far with some of the better and more experienced lads out.

So, good reason to be optimistic for the league. Unlike last year there is no danger of them going down and will be assured a play off place and possible promotion. Don't think Kenny is the sort of chap who does 3/4 year plans so expect them to give Leinster a right cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Well, that was deadly excitement. Gotta love a penalty shootout. Couldn't handle that in September though. I'd have a stroke.

In a GAA penalty shoot out do points count. In the Hurling 7's in 2018 (I think). It was level and both teams were down to their last penalty, first team missed and second team scored a point and won. Is this the case in these penalty shootouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

In a GAA penalty shoot out do points count. In the Hurling 7's in 2018 (I think). It was level and both teams were down to their last penalty, first team missed and second team scored a point and won. Is this the case in these penalty shootouts.

The Twitter Updates where giving the scores as 3-0 to 1-0 so you would assume so

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

I think it was clarified over the tannoy in the Mayo V Leitrim game that it was goals only, but I heard this second hand so I could be mistaken.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

DDC1990 wrote: »
    I think it was clarified over the tannoy in the Mayo V Leitrim game that it was goals only, but I heard this second hand so I could be mistaken.

I got the impression that is was goals only, and I'd ignore the format from the twitter updates. Those guys use an app, and I'd imagine that the app hasn't been updated for a penalty shootout yet, so they just reset the score to 0-0 and then keep track of the goals.

Points would be interesting!

"Welcome back to Omagh where Donegal and Tyrone are level at 0-79 to 0-79 in the sudden death shoot out."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

DDC1990 wrote: »

Goals only counted in the penalty shoot outs in the FBD league.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement