Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

In a GAA penalty shoot out do points count. In the Hurling 7's in 2018 (I think). It was level and both teams were down to their last penalty, first team missed and second team scored a point and won. Is this the case in these penalty shootouts.

Nope. Shots over the bar don't count. It either goes into the back of the net, or it doesn't. If it goes over the bar, it's a miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,769 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I recommend reading this book:
    'Dublin: The Chaos Years: How the Dubs Made a Mess of Things for So Long - and How They Turned It Around' by Neil Cotter.

Great for anyone who can remember the years 1996-2010 (It has me cursing reading it)
    Also good for anyone who would like to know what happened in that era, there is a lot of behind the scenes stuff in the book.
    Some former Dublin players do not come across well in it.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Read it myself. As you say, some of the players do not come out it at all well. Seems to have been a slightly nasty atmosphere in the camp with newer players not made feel particularly welcome. I was in same club as one of those who was at fault and I can certainly testify to an uncomfortable atmosphere on some of the teams. Took a lot of the enjoyment out of it I have to say.

Caffrey comes out well and by all accounts is a decent character who took a lot of misguided abuse for failings on the pitch which were not all or even mainly down to him. Lyons also. Both made errors which in hindsight might be said to have cost games but who hasn't.

Interesting read, but slightly depressing I have to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

That one's next on my list after I finish off Sean Kavanagh.

Patww79 wrote: »
    That one's next on my list after I finish off Sean Kavanagh.

Make sure and get a good head start :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

naughtb4 wrote:
    The Twitter Updates where giving the scores as 3-0 to 1-0 so you would assume so

Meath kicked 3 points (or maybe 2) and they didn't record them.

You are correct though they left the place holder in for points but didn't count them, Meath's first and last effort went over the bar

• Registered Users Posts: 12,165 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Dublin lost the O'Byrne Cup. Westmeath for Leinster and Sam.:D Seriously though, scrappy stuff and very hard to even compare what the league will throw up, never mind the championship. As for the new rules?:eek: Westmeath did look hungrier with more to prove.

First half wasn't bad. Second half was desperate stuff.

Westmeath better organised and took scores, but difficult to know how the ten players mauling anyone inside 40 tactic will work out against a team that has scoring forwards.

Must be a nightmare for ref to officiate over this sh1te.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,769 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Which sounds more catchy for the split?

North-Westmeath / South-Westmeath

OR

East Westmeath / West-Westmeath

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Which sounds more catchy for the split?

North-Westmeath / South-Westmeath

OR

East Westmeath / West-Westmeath
    North Westmeath is all hurling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,165 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Must be a nightmare for ref to officiate over this sh1te.

Lots of talk about refs, but what about players. They are playing and focusing on the game and in terms of the hand pass, every player receiving a hand pass has to concentrate on how many hand passes went before. Crazy stuff. In the first half we had Dublin play a line ball back down the pitch, I was screaming at the screen, Easy for us. A cluster**** in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

This new hand pass rule appears to favour the defending team. Forwards trying to get in close to goal are having to turn back or sideways to kick a pass.

New defence tactics on watching this match appear to be just get 3/4 players around the man with the ball and crowd him out.

A tweak to this new rule could be if the attacking team get into the 20m or 13m area, the new handpass rule is forgotten, so long as that team are still attacking.

Or maybe just get rid of it altogther tomorrow.

Not a bad first half, never looked like winning after 50 minutes.

Bugler kicked a couple of decent points , didn't waste much.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Very little threat from us inside, were hounded out of it more often than not. McHugh has gone the wrong side of big imo, lacked the mobility to win his own ball, Smith was lost inside and Byrne who has all the ability lbut acks the composure at times to make the right decision on the ball.

I do think that Sean McMahon could flourish with better players around him - would like to see him involved early stages of the league

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I was impressed that they even got through the semi, to be honest, I thought that a team with an extra game on them would have done better than a team that got a bye into the semi (still no idea why we got a bye).

I'd say those in the stands must have been bored to tears for the first twenty minutes or so, what with the score line so low.

First 20 minutes despite the terrible shooting on both sides was actually the best part! It was open and pacy and a lot of good foot passing.

Second half just degenerated into appalling mess. Not taking away from Westmeath. By far the better team and Egan shot the lights out when he got going. Any team including Dublin would more than likely take advantage of new rules to close out a game when even 2/3 points ahead which is a defendable lead now, shamefully.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

So there's a vote tonight to stop teams from designating Croke Park as a teams home venue, as it's meant to be neutral, which is fair enough in my opinion, I don't think that Dublin will have a problem with playing elsewhere. It's a bit s***e that more people won't be able to go, but it was a bit ridiculous that we got two games in Croke Park and no one else did.

So, with Croke Park ruled out, is it just Parnell Park then? I assume after the whole "Newbridge or nowhere" thing, the GAA won't soon try something so silly again, but is there even enough room in Parnell Park for all the season ticket holders?

This is, of course, if the vote goes through, but I can't imagine it won't

Parnell just about hold all Dublin county board pass holders and season tickets. However, when we played Cats last year which was sell out, Kilkenny season ticket holders who all seem to be stand tickets got first dibs and a lot of Dublin PP stand holders had to take terrace tickets.

So if Dublin have home football against a county like Mayo or Tyrone with a big pass holding then that will be interesting. Didn't seem to be a problem in Omagh last year all the same but would definitely be if it was Mayo.

But, yes I can see the point in Dublin not have two games in Croker in 8's.

He has a nice touch alright, hint of a Gerry Hargin tackle, then again that lad Sean Gerorge had that too, didn't work for him.

Form this competition I thought the following had good games Gavin, Bugler, McMahon, Byrne, McDaid

Agree on McHugh, I had to do a double take on him last night

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

CatInABox wrote: »
    So there's a vote tonight to stop teams from designating Croke Park as a teams home venue, as it's meant to be neutral, which is fair enough in my opinion, I don't think that Dublin will have a problem with playing elsewhere. It's a bit s***e that more people won't be able to go, but it was a bit ridiculous that we got two games in Croke Park and no one else did.

So, with Croke Park ruled out, is it just Parnell Park then? I assume after the whole "Newbridge or nowhere" thing, the GAA won't soon try something so silly again, but is there even enough room in Parnell Park for all the season ticket holders?

This is, of course, if the vote goes through, but I can't imagine it won't

I think the thing was drafted badly you know.

I've no problem with Dublin playing their 'home game' in Croke Park, Parnell Park just is't sufficient. But they shouldn't then get the supposedly 'Neutral' game at same venue.

My take on it is it should be

Leinster Champions (Dublin) get:
    (1) a home tie against Round 4 winner (Croke Park).
    (2) an away tie against Round 4 winner
    (3) neutral venue v other provincial winner.

The issue this year was that 1&3 were both at Croke park. Not Dublin's fault by any means. They'd clearly play anyone anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭muddle84

For Parnell park would it not be first come first serve basis with the stand tickets or was the Kilkenny tickets actually specified as stand and PP as terrace?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

I think the thing was drafted badly you know.

I've no problem with Dublin playing their 'home game' in Croke Park, Parnell Park just is't sufficient. But they shouldn't then get the supposedly 'Neutral' game at same venue.

The issue this year was that 1&3 were both at Croke park. Not Dublin's fault by any means. They'd clearly play anyone anywhere.
    The misconception people have is that it was supposed to be a neutral venue. The CCCC never stated it would be a neutral venue, they stated the games would be held in Croke Park. The media took it to be a neutral venue and ran with it.

It would definitely make it fairer on the team playing Dublin if they did make it a neutral venue and held it somewhere like Semple Stadium. It would also be novel in Semple and there is always a buzz around there before and after matches.

muddle84 wrote: »
    For Parnell park would it not be first come first serve basis with the stand tickets or was the Kilkenny tickets actually specified as stand and PP as terrace?

Not sure how it was worked but Kilkenny definitely got lions share of stand and many PP stand pass holders lost out, but were able to get terrace tickets. Still a good few turned away although am assuming that no PP or season tickets were in that category as Dublin hurlers would not have anywhere near same amount of hurling season tickets as for football and not all PP pass holders would go to see the hurlers.

Funnily enough, opposite was applied when Waterford played in Ennis where their stand season ticket holders were at end of queue. Dublin were certainly treated well for the Omagh game and in fact I had a spare PP ticket that I gave to friend in Tyrone as brother was not going.

Definitely going to be a problem and perhaps Dublin using CP as home ground but not for "neutral" game would be best solution if catering for crowd is an issue as it surely will be. First world problems, as they say!

Lord above. Send us down to Nowlan Park or Portlaoise for the neutral game and have done with it. Or the new Stade de Frank to visit our money. That would be a deadly day out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Kavrocks wrote: »
    The misconception people have is that it was supposed to be a neutral venue. The CCCC never stated it would be a neutral venue, they stated the games would be held in Croke Park. The media took it to be a neutral venue and ran with it.

It would definitely make it fairer on the team playing Dublin if they did make it a neutral venue and held it somewhere like Semple Stadium. It would also be novel in Semple and there is always a buzz around there before and after matches.

The original motion said Croke Park
    Afaik it was a Roscommon motion as some counties rarely get the opportunity to play up there

Problem was, Dublin already play all their games there

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    The original motion said Croke Park
    Afaik it was a Roscommon motion as some counties rarely get the opportunity to play up there

Problem was, Dublin already play all their games there

Problem is as you identify that some counties want to play in CP even if there are three men and a dog in attendance. which is fair enough, but not of Dublin's doing.

Personally, and primarily as hurling person, I much prefer Parnell as our home venue regardless of the crowd. Not really a problem for hurlers admittedly but with league football games averaging over 20,000 then there is a point.

Either that or we spend all our money building a new stadium instead of ordering home deliveries of pizza and smoothies for the under 8 development squads :)

Kavrocks wrote: »

'Big' games down the country are the part of the Super 8's I want to see alot more of, The Dubs in Omagh last year, Kerry in Clones, Tyrone in Ballybofey - class.

Croke Park has almost become a bit tired and has become routine, the magic starts to go when it gets over exposed. In an ideal world the AI series would only have Croke Park or 1 x super 8 game (Dublin home game) and then the Semi Finals and Finals.

Depressing playing qualifier games and quarter final games in a half full Croker.

Well said Nidgey. Unfortunately, the bean counters in HQ care more about keeping the Croker Park corporate boxes/premium seats full and happy, than they do about a piddling little thing like atmosphere, or the overall experience of the average punter.

So anyhoo, what way are people heading up to the stony grey soil on Sunday?

After spending 17.5 years of my life stuck in Virginia bottlenecks on previous trips up thar, am gonna give the Wee County a go. Is there much of a difference in going up via Ardee & Carrickmacross, or stay on the M1 longer & go via Hackballscross (what a GREAT name) & Castleblaney?

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Well said Nidgey. Unfortunately, the bean counters in HQ care more about keeping the Croker Park corporate boxes/premium seats full and happy, than they do about a piddling little thing like atmosphere, or the overall experience of the average punter.

After spending 17.5 years of my life stuck in Virginia bottlenecks on previous trips up thar, am gonna give the Wee County a go. Is there much of a difference in going up via Ardee & Carrickmacross, or stay on the M1 longer & go via Hackballscross (what a GREAT name) & Castleblaney?

I'd stick to the M3 / N3 and scoot across via Lavey.

If you are convinced on going a different route then there's no real difference between Ardee / Blaney. If I've to go to Leterkenny I try stay on the M1 as long as possible and make the time up there, the other roads are toxic.

But you'll do Blanch - Virginia in 30 / 40 mins so would definitely be sticking to that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,890 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

ProudDUB wrote: »

Is there a clause in the long-term Croke Park box tickets that requires quarter-finals in Croke Park?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement