Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

Slattsy wrote: »
    Seemed to be a massive lack of support for the lads up top, they looked very isolated when they did get on the ball. Hard to pick anyone that played above average. Monaghan played it on their terms and went down very easily with contact, conned both refs!

Not a bad run out for them first time out all the same.

Went down easy, you're full of crap. Dublin were ill disciplined. Never left the tackle always went in for a little afters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

Sam Hain wrote: »
    Went down easy, you're full of crap. Dublin were ill disciplined. Never left the tackle always went in for a little afters.

McCarron certainly went down easy, after his knee to Smalls head & comes back for more (to drag Small back to his feet basically) he went down like he was shot from a slight push & that was only one example. Don’t try deny McCarron didn’t act like a pansy last weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

EICVD wrote: »
    McCarron certainly went down easy, after his knee to Smalls head & comes back for more (to drag Small back to his feet basically) he went down like he was shot from a slight push & that was only one example. Don’t try deny McCarron didn’t act like a pansy last weekend

Cheers, I wasn't arsed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Sam Hain wrote: »

Not withstanding ill-discipline in Monaghan ranks at times, it was clear from early on that Dublin's last line of defence was going to be the dirt. They got black carded twice for it, got away with it a few times more and had it been rugby would have been warned a red was coming.
    I think this is a feature of the Dublin game but it was rustily implemented on Sunday and is not always as blatant. The black arts, so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Slattsy wrote: »
    Cheers, I wasn't arsed :D

Misé freisin !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

EICVD wrote: »

If it were DC who done that,media frenzy. Everyone from the media too his fellow peers have got there wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Not withstanding ill-discipline in Monaghan ranks at times, it was clear from early on that Dublin's last line of defence was going to be the dirt. They got black carded twice for it, got away with it a few times more and had it been rugby would have been warned a red was coming.
    I think this is a feature of the Dublin game but it was rustily implemented on Sunday and is not always as blatant. The black arts, so to speak.

Kneeing people in the head when they are on their knees and gouging chaps, and then following that up by diving in the pretence that you had been hit in the face - as both McCarron and the Ros player did against Mayo - is not "black arts." It is just underhanded stuff that would have gotten you a kick in the arse if you did it when you were 12, and is not dealt with in any of the proposed changes or by most if any refs, and is clearly encouraged now even at underage.

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Kneeing people in the head when they are on their knees and gouging chaps, and then following that up by diving in the pretence that you had been hit in the face - as both McCarron and the Ros player did against Mayo - is not "black arts." It is just underhanded stuff that would have gotten you a kick in the arse if you did it when you were 12, and is not dealt with in any of the proposed changes or by most if any refs, and is clearly encouraged now even at underage.

Not for a minute do i deny the above. The fact is that Dublin ill discipline cost them and should have cost them more because it became routine in the first half to take players out, if they looked like breaking the last line or were breaking fast. I was there, it happened numerous times and it is a feature of Dublin's play, but usually they are better at masking it.
    Dublin's goal for instance, the defender had every oppurtunity to drag theman down but didn't, he let the player play football and beat him...would Johnny Cooper have done the same? He was hanging out of McManus from the moment he came on, clearly told to 'stop at all costs'. He is a dreadful advertisement/example for the underage footballers you talk about.

We are aware of the other stuff you mention, it isn't good and shouldn't be condoned but could you comment on the point made?

Fair enough. There are no angels out there and we wear tinted spectacles when it comes to our own no doubt.

For what's it worth I said elsewhere that Dublin's basically playing the ball backwards during the sin bins was borderline farcical. At same time, sin bin is a justifiable penalty for fouls worthy of black cards if preventing scores, so not sure where that leaves us!

What seems to be clear even from first league round is that the better teams will use the changes that have been retained - sin bin, offensive mark - in a way that will frustrate open play rather than encourage it. God only knows what tactics might have resulted from retaining the handpass rule!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭spurshero

Are Bernard brogan and o gara still on panel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭Justin10

spurshero wrote: »
    Are Bernard brogan and o gara still on panel

Yep

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

And so it begins..
    Brace yourselves, the faux outrage is here, and staying until August.

I assume you are referring to reaction to JG's comments?

Strangely enough I would have thought he would have been opposed to limiting the hand pass given the likely ultra defensive reaction to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

You forgot to mention the two black cards weren't even legitimate black card offences.

Don't you worry your pretty little head about us. It was our first game back. We'll have this all sorted long before the league is over (never mind the AI championship) & in plenty of time to be marching back the steps of the Lower Hogan to collect the silverware again. But we do thank you ever so kindly for your concern. Well done on your fine victory & best of luck for the upcoming year.

Now...Gawliv...let's be havin' ya !

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

He seemed to think the new rules needed to be given a chance, not so much that he agreed with them, but he seemed certain they did not have enough time to judge them.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,890 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Don't you worry your pretty little head about us. It was our first game back. We'll have this all sorted long before the league is over (never mind the AI championship) & in plenty of time to be marching back the steps of the Lower Hogan to collect the silverware again. But we do thank you ever so kindly for your concern. Well done on your fine victory & best of luck for the upcoming year.

Now...Gawliv...let's be havin' ya !

It was clear during the game that Dublin weren't that interested in the new rules, and hadn't been training for them. Minds on the Championship and all that.

Monaghan wouldn't have won the game without the new rules. The twenty minutes of the sin-bin and the marks made all the difference. As a result, the game told us nothing good or bad about the Championship.

blanch152 wrote: »
    As a result, the game told us nothing good or bad about the Championship.

Probably because it was the League. :rolleyes:

Doh !

In fairness, the All Ireland championship itself often doesn't provide a good indicator of where a county are really at in the All Ireland championship.

Yes Kildare losing to Carlow in the 1st round of Leinster, I'm looking at you. You wouldn't have felt good about betting the farm on them going on to make the Super 8's would you?

And don't even get me started on Mayo getting dumped out of Connaught year in, year out.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,769 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Doh !

In fairness, the All Ireland championship itself often doesn't provide a good indicator of where a county are really at in the All Ireland championship.

Yes Kildare losing to Carlow in the 1st round of Leinster, I'm looking at you. You wouldn't have felt good about betting the farm on them going on to make the Super 8's would you?

And don't even get me started on Mayo getting dumped out of Connaught year in, year out.

I think the league over a period of 3/4 games is a far better indicator of where a team is at then in the championship.
    How much do Dublin learn from playing in Leinster these days?

The obvious cavet is there are some teams who do not focus on the league at all and prefer to look at the championship. But in my view managers who do that are dinosaurs. The days of 'it's only the league' are long gone.

Granted new players are blooded, but it is where the competitive games are.
    For most neutrals the championship in football is half asleep until the 'Super 8s'

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement

Doh !

Very true. Monaghan went out of Ulster to Fermanagh in the first round last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

3 freebies for Hill tomorrow if anyone interested. Based in Dublin 1/17. Must collect. Or will be going myself so can meet around Fairview/Ballybough area of stadium tomorrow shortly before throw-in.

PM if interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Me too. I've three just got some cozy box tickets. Three stand tickets going, pm if needed . You just have to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Sell out for Tralee already. Kerry hopin' this is their year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Sell out for Tralee already. Kerry hopin' this is their year.

Sell out last time too IIRC - its a timeless fixture

Fair dues to the Dorset St PP peeps for allowing terrace PP's be swapped for stand tickets. They used to be ok with it, but haven't been so cooperative the past couple of years. Blamed the GAA for only giving them the precise allocation for each. Not so yesterday. Thank God. Couldn't face the Hill in February. Does that make me a snowflake/pansy/sunshine supporter? Too damm bad if it does ! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Lads would they let me enter via Hogan if I have a Cusack lower for tomorrow? Fairly touch and go so avoiding a sprint from the Jurys Inn to the opposite side after the England match finishes would be greatly appreciated.

Failing all that they'd hardly have screens showing the rugby in there? Not putting much faith in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Lads would they let me enter via Hogan if I have a Cusack lower for tomorrow? Fairly touch and go so avoiding a sprint from the Jurys Inn to the opposite side after the England match finishes would be greatly appreciated.

Failing all that they'd hardly have screens showing the rugby in there? Not putting much faith in it.

I don't think they'll have screens showing rugby with Laois and Louth followed by the girleens on.

Fair play. Might do that. Is Dorset Street office open before the match?

• Advertisement

I wouldn't be depending on it!

Why don't you have a pint in one of the pubs on the Cusack side instead of that kip :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement