Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Jayop wrote:
    It's a bit funny listening to Dubs complaining about not getting a neutral venue.
    Go on Jayop. Sure you guys must get one game there once a year at this stage! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Stoner wrote: »
    Go on Jayop. Sure you guys must get one game there once a year at this stage! :)

Maybe on average over the last fifteen years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭RuMan

dirtyden wrote: »
    Semple is a GAA venue and it more importantly is a hurling venue. It may give Tipp a small advantage given familiarity but it was the obvious choice for these games given the 4 teams who are playing. I think this thing of a home draw is a moot point. Croke park is the obvious venue when Dublin footballers play because you get the biggest crowd and Semple for this game was the best venue.

It's a home draw for Tipp.
    I'd be favour of the footballers playing on the road a lot more , I see no need to give our footballers or Tipp hurlers extra advantages against weaker counties.

Given the increasing number of mismatches the GAA should be trying to help weaker counties where possible. This does hurling no good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭dirtyden

RuMan wrote: »
    Semple is a GAA venue and it more importantly is a hurling venue. It may give Tipp a small advantage given familiarity but it was the obvious choice for these games given the 4 teams who are playing. I think this thing of a home draw is a moot point. Croke park is the obvious venue when Dublin footballers play because you get the biggest crowd and Semple for this game was the best venue.

It's a home draw for Tipp.
    I'd be favour of the footballers playing on the road a lot more , I see no need to give our footballers or Tipp hurlers extra advantages against weaker counties.

Given the increasing number of mismatches the GAA should be trying to help weaker counties where possible. This does hurling no good.
    How does it do hurling no good? Bumper crowd in the home of hurling on a Saturday evening or a half empty Croker or Gaelic Grounds? I know which I would prefer. Dublin probably got the short end of the stick (for once) but is it really that big an advantage? A pitch is a pitch, the grass and goal size are pretty similar everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭RuMan

How does it do hurling no good? Bumper crowd in the home of hurling on a Saturday evening or a half empty Croker or Gaelic Grounds? I know which I would prefer. Dublin probably got the short end of the stick (for once) but is it really that big an advantage? A pitch is a pitch, the grass and goal size are pretty similar everywhere.

its supposed to be a neutral venue.
    If it was Waterford or Kilkenny I'd have no problem. If you're going to give one of the teams home advantage you may as well play it in Parnell Park.

My reading of it is the hurlers are being punished to compensate for the criticism that the footballers always get home advantage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Any Dublin GAA officials that agreed to play this game in Thurles without consulting with the hurling management and squad need their collective holes kicked.:mad:
    Can you imagine Tipp been TOLD,yes TOLD, that they were going to Nowlan Park next Saturday to play Kilkenny in a 'neutral venue'.
    I've posted already that the thing that angers me was Tipp refusing point blank to concede home advantage to Westmeath last Saturday in the interest of fairness.
    We now have a situation where Tipp, having lost to Cork in Thurles, are now rewarded with 2 home games against Westmeath and Dublin.
    Add to that a full-house next Sunday in Thurles for Cork/Clare.
    Tipp/Dublin should be in Portlaoise or Tullamore.
    Kilkenny/Waterford in Wexford Park.
    Forget the 'logistics' spread it around a bit. Why not play a game in Limerick.?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Dublin also travelled to Thurles to play Tipp, I think it was 3 years ago, it was a double header then with Limerick/Wexford.
    Croke Park is not Dublins home pitch (not the hurlers anyway) Parnell is.
    Thurles IS Tipps home pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

washman3 wrote: »
    Any Dublin GAA officials that agreed to play this game in Thurles without consulting with the hurling management and squad need their collective holes kicked.:mad:

Shanley is saying they agreed to nothing, it was imposed on them :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Can you imagine Tipp been TOLD,yes TOLD, that they were going to Nowlan Park next Saturday to play Kilkenny in a 'neutral venue'.
    I've posted already that the thing that angers me was Tipp refusing point blank to concede home advantage to Westmeath last Saturday in the interest of fairness.
    We now have a situation where Tipp, having lost to Cork in Thurles, are now rewarded with 2 home games against Westmeath and Dublin.
    Forget the 'logistics' spread it around a bit. Why not play a game in Limerick.?

Don't know what intitial DCB reaction was but Shanley is now kicking up over it. Getting it in neck obviously by people comparing it to footballers playing mostly in CP.

Which is fair enough other than fact that the hurlers are not the footballers and rarely get a home game. Even in league they seem to get bad end of stick every year including for play offs.

Anyway, a win was unlikely mo matter where it was so not going to get too annoyed. This might actually give them a bit of incentive to rise their game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

The matches were never going to be in Croker this Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭HurlingRanker

It didn't have to be a double header. Could have had Tipp v Dublin in Portlaoise and KK v Waterford in Semple.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭blue note

Judging by the fact that there are only a couple of dubs anywhere giving out about this I'm going to say that the county chairman is probably embarrassing his county by giving out about this considering the hypocrisy.

I'd be curious to know if you were to compare the number of championship matches dublin have played in dublin with the number they've played in the opposition's home county how the figures would look.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,065 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

blue note wrote: »
    Judging by the fact that there are only a couple of dubs anywhere giving out about this I'm going to say that the county chairman is probably embarrassing his county by giving out about this considering the hypocrisy.

I'd be curious to know if you were to compare the number of championship matches dublin have played in dublin with the number they've played in the opposition's home county how the figures would look.

I don't feel embarrassed at all. He makes a good point.

Also remember it's not Dublin that decide that we play all of our Leinster Championship games in CP. The Leinster Council (and the other counties) consistently vote to keep us there despite our wishes to actually have some games outside of the capital.

People like yourself are just using this as another reason to give the whole "Dublin-bias" row a its annual once over.

Now, where's Mayoaremagic with his two cents on the issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Majorly in favour of footballers obviously, but hurlers have played most of their games as far back as I can recall outside of Dublin. Indeed they have a better championship record in recent times in places like Tullamore than CP!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

You know we're talking about hurling here yeah?

Also remember it's not Dublin that decide that we play all of our Leinster Championship games in CP. The Leinster Council (and the other counties) consistently vote to keep us there despite our wishes to actually have some games outside of the capital.

People like yourself are just using this as another reason to give the whole "Dublin-bias" row a its annual once over.

I agree it is unfair, but in the case of the Dublin hurlers, they already get automatic home advantage for Leinster finals, AI semi finals and AI finals. No other team gets that. So on balance, where matches are played is unfair in favour of Dublin hurlers. Where it becomes particularly beneficial to you is when you have a team capable of winning an AI and get to play the final two matches of the year at home. That's an enormous advantage!

You'd be a fool to think that this isn't going to benefit Tipp on Saturday. But you'd be a major hypocrite to complain about it without also saying that you'd like Leinster finals, AI semi finals and AI finals played at neutral venues (so not Thurles if Dublin are in them) too.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,877 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

He is writing a post explaining how Dublin's financial and population advantage were responsible for Mayo being behind against Derry up until the last minute of normal time.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,877 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I agree it is unfair, but in the case of the Dublin hurlers, they already get automatic home advantage for Leinster finals, AI semi finals and AI finals. No other team gets that. So on balance, where matches are played is unfair in favour of Dublin hurlers. Where it becomes particularly beneficial to you is when you have a team capable of winning an AI and get to play the final two matches of the year at home. That's an enormous advantage!

You'd be a fool to think that this isn't going to benefit Tipp on Saturday. But you'd be a major hypocrite to complain about it without also saying that you'd like Leinster finals, AI semi finals and AI finals played at neutral venues (so not Thurles if Dublin are in them) too.

The only games that the Dublin hurlers would ever play in Croke Park are the Leinster finals, AI semi finals and AI finals, if they ever get to them. Their home games are in Parnell Park, so they don't have any home advantage. "Home" advantage comes from playing regularly in the same ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,971 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Has Bernard Brogan scored a championship point outside of Dublin yet?

Funnily enough I'd prefer if the game was on in Dublin this weekend.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Here's a list of Dublin Hurling games in the last 10 years where Dublin or their opponents had home advantage

Dublin vs Wexford (Dublin)
    Cork vs Dublin (Cork)
    Dublin vs Antrim (Dublin)
    Dublin vs Kilkenny (Dublin)
    Dublin vs Clare (Dublin)
    Antrim vs Dublin (Dublin)
    Dublin vs Offaly (Dublin)
    Kilkenny vs Dublin (Dublin)
    Tipperary vs Dublin (Dublin)
    Clare vs Dublin (Clare)
    Wexford vs Dublin (Wexford)
    Dublin vs Galway (Dublin)
    Dublin vs Cork (Dublin)
    Dublin vs Wexford (Wexford)
    Dublin vs Tipperary (Tipperary)
    Laois vs Dublin (Laois)
    Cork vs Dublin (Cork)
    Dublin vs Laois (Dublin)
    Dublin vs Tipp (Tipp)

So in a decade Dublin have had 16 home times and 8 away. Exactly twice as likely to get a home tie as an away one.

As I say, it's a big advantage playing at home. But no county benefits from it more than Dublin in hurling, so I think it's very hypocritical for your county board to give out about. Or our county board I should say since I play in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

People are obviously going to have a certain view on this given the privileged position the Dublin footballers find themselves in but the man has a point.

There's no way Kilkenny would have been playing in Thurles had they drawn Tipp. Dublin are seen as also rans and they've been treated accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

Here's a list of Dublin Hurling games in the last 10 years where Dublin or their opponents had home advantage

Cork vs Dublin (Cork)
    Dublin vs Clare (Dublin)
    Clare vs Dublin (Clare)
    Dublin vs Cork (Dublin)
    Laois vs Dublin (Laois)
    Cork vs Dublin (Cork)
    Dublin vs Laois (Dublin)
    Dublin vs Tipp (Tipp)

So in a decade Dublin have had 16 home times and 8 away. Exactly twice as likely to get a home tie as an away one.

As I say, it's a big advantage playing at home. But no county benefits from it more than Dublin in hurling, so I think it's very hypocritical for your county board to give out about. Or our county board I should say since I play in Dublin.
    Your list and conclusions are flawed.

Only two of the above games have been played in Parnell Park. Several have been Leinster finals and All-Ireland Semi finals which are played in Croke Park regardless. I'd also suggest Kilkenny have got a much bigger benefit from Croke Park than Dublin in the last 10 years.

I'd certainly prefer Dublin hurling play most counties in Parnell Park than Croke Park. Out of the 14 games Dublin played in Croke Park in the last 10 years, they only won 5 of them whereas they won both games in Parnell Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

What's latest on this? Hopefully dublin hold the line for an obvious neutral venture. Surely out of Portlaoise, Tullamore or even kilkenny they can accommodate the game. At this knockout stage you need to use every advantage and handing tipp one before the game even started is not one any team would be happy with

• Registered Users Posts: 18,758 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

blanch152 wrote: »
    The only games that the Dublin hurlers would ever play in Croke Park are the Leinster finals, AI semi finals and AI finals, if they ever get to them. Their home games are in Parnell Park, so they don't have any home advantage. "Home" advantage comes from playing regularly in the same ground.

Exactly and up until recently the Dublin hurlers had a five year unbeaten record in Parnell Park.

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/sport/205308/Superb-Limerickhurlers-end-Dublin-unbeaten-run.html

Even if the Dublin hurlers played in Croke Park you can hardly call it an advantage.

The tighter pitch of Parnell always suited the Dublin hurlers against the bigger teams.

The Dublin hurlers are actually at a disadvantage playing any 'home' games in croke park, thier record proves this.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,971 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Cork vs Dublin (Cork)
    Dublin vs Clare (Dublin)
    Clare vs Dublin (Clare)
    Dublin vs Cork (Dublin)
    Laois vs Dublin (Laois)
    Cork vs Dublin (Cork)
    Dublin vs Laois (Dublin)
    Dublin vs Tipp (Tipp)

This settles it.

Of all the teams that can complain about getting a raw deal from the GAA the Dubs aren't one.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    This settles it.

Of all the teams that can complain about getting a raw deal from the GAA the Dubs aren't one.

But comments above unsettle it.

I kinda want this stink to waft about for the week. Be much better for Dubs re access to have it in PortLousy in fairness. Is that too much of an advantage for us too.

Shame it's in Thurles. But it would be nice if this affront to our "also-ran" hurlers galvanises them somewhat.

This settles it.

No it doesn't. It shows some people are anti-Dublin regardless of code and will twist and omit data to suit their narrative. If it was any other county people would say they've gotten a raw deal.

One can only hope this galvanises the Dublin team and Cunningham can use it to his advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭dirtyden

Kavrocks wrote: »
    This settles it.

No it doesn't. It shows some people are anti-Dublin regardless of code and will twist and omit data to suit their narrative. If it was any other county people would say they've gotten a raw deal.

One can only hope this galvanises the Dublin team and Cunningham can use it to his advantage.
    Dublin play at home more than any other team in the country. The uproar is a little bit hard to take in this case. If you cant see that you are being quite blinkered.

Dublin play at home more than any other team in the country. The uproar is a little bit hard to take in this case. If you cant see that you are being quite blinkered.

Then don't take it. I mean coming into a Dublin forum to decry our "uproar" seems a bit silly to me.

• Advertisement

Nobody has proven the Dublin hurlers play at home more than any other team in the country. However, that is irrelevant here. The round 2 qualifiers were supposed to be played at neutral venues how is that the case for the Dublin and Tipperary match?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement