Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Soulsun

Gael85 wrote: »
    Anyway getting back to Dublin. Was out at St Vincents v Olivier Plunketts on Sunday and interesting to see Diarmuid Connolly playing at centre half back. Didn't look out of place and got on a lot of ball. Good to see him back playing.

Is he likely to be called up to the county panel?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,165 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Soulsun wrote: »

This should be good.:D

giphy.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I'd imagine he wants to play and Gavin wants him to play, buy there's absolutely zero chance of either climbing down to actually enable him to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

I'd imagine he wants to play and Gavin wants him to play, buy there's absolutely zero chance of either climbing down to actually enable him to play.

Climb down from what? Did he not just opt out of the panel over media scrutiny?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I'd say that's part of it and he'd definitely have to be sickened at what happened to him after the Carlow game and suspension only to see players from more media favourable counties get away with the same thing later that year. That said, there's obviously tension there between him and Gavin stemming from lack of use once he was back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭Gael85

No but great to see him and Rory O'Carroll back playing with their clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭PressRun

I heard through the grapevine myself that there was more to it than that, but it's all rumour tbh.

I think the return of Rory O'Carroll might be more likely? He's a terrific footballer. Would be interested to see how he looks after the time away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭Gael85

PressRun wrote: »
    I heard through the grapevine myself that there was more to it than that, but it's all rumour tbh.

I think the return of Rory O'Carroll might be more likely? He's a terrific footballer. Would be interested to see how he looks after the time away.

Can't see see ROC been involved this year. Only back playing ball, played first game in 4 years last week.

I'd say that's part of it and he'd definitely have to be sickened at what happened to him after the Carlow game and suspension only to see players from more media favourable counties get away with the same thing later that year. That said, there's obviously tension there between him and Gavin stemming from lack of use once he was back.

Ah Im not convinced by that tbh. The team had made a final without him. Tyrone was his first game back and its fair enough he wouldnt start. Then they crush tyrone. How could he start him the next day in those circumstances? If there is something to it then Im not convinced that that is it.
    Who done the same thing later in the year? I dont remember that.

Oh like a fallout between them? Would make more sense alright. I was never fully convinced of the media thing, connolly strikes me as a guy who couldnt care less what they have to say.

Re o'carroll. He is a long time out. Hard to see a return this year if he is planning on it. How old is he?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,761 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Bonniedog wrote: »
    The depiction of sports people - or any people in any walk of life for that matter - who just fall short at the highest level as "losers2 and "chokers" really irritates me.

Said it before and I'll say it again: the only real losers and chokers are those who can't be bothered trying because they have themselves beaten before they even start. such people are often the first to slag off those who lose big events.

I don't particularly like Mayo, but one thing you certainly cannot fault them for is their resilience. An admirable characteristic in any person or collection of persons.

I used to admire Mayo like you but the more I thought about it the more they shot themselves in the foot.
    Because Mayo never have enough forwards to finish the job.
    Put it this way since the 2010's if you put Mayo and Galway together you would have a great team.
    Mostly Mayo backs, mostly Galway forwards.

That is thier major problem, and despite this 'resilience' they do not seem to have the ability to close the big game when it really matters more often than not.
    How many chances do they want?
    This is Mayo's first league title since 2001.
    The Mayo mentality reminds me of a slightly better version than the Dublin team of the late 90s early/mid 2000's.
    Very brittle and could be got at.
    I could be completely wrong and this could be Mayo's year. But I really doubt it.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

I used to admire Mayo like you but the more I thought about it the more they shot themselves in the foot.
    Put it this way since the 2010's if you put Mayo and Galway together you would have a great team.

That is thier major problem, and despite this 'resilience' they do not seem to have the ability to close the big game when it really matters more often than not.
    The Mayo mentality reminds me of a slightly better version than the Dublin team of the late 90s early/mid 2000's.
    I could be completely wrong and this could be Mayo's year. But I really doubt it.

Define shooting themselves in the foot though. Beig barely beaten by a team with every advantage going, including vast differences in pick and funding and costantly playing at home?
    Im not sure an objective observer would take your view to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

One post in the Mayo thread since they won their first bit of silverware in donkeys on Sunday, and the guts of 10 in the Dublin thread today alone.... #obsessed

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Squareball wrote: »
    I firmly believe that Dublin will struggle this year, I don’t think Leinster will be the cakewalk everyone says it will be. After that anything can happen, we are not the same animal we were the last couple of years. Our bench does not offer the strength it used to. Jim Gavin is showing loyalty to Brogan, Flynn and McManamon and while I admire the loyalty, he would have been more ruthless in times gone by. Some of the current panel have been at it for a long time now and I’m not sure the younger lads are ready to carry flag. There also appears to be niggling injuries that are worryingly not clearing up.
    Having said all that, watch them surprise me and go out and win the whole thing again and confirm what most of us already know, that they are the greatest team of all time!!!!!

It will be interesting to see how they react to the massive expectation on one hand and the understandable hope they fail on the other.

Personally I don't think they will fall short due to lack of desire. But like all great teams there will come a day when they come up short.

Would like them to win the fifth, but to be honest, I would not be surprised if they do not. Nor as disappointed as I would have been had they been beaten in any of the previous years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Slattsy wrote: »
    One post in the Mayo thread since they won their first bit of silverware in donkeys on Sunday, and the guts of 10 in the Dublin thread today alone.... #obsessed

:confused:

More like 150 posts in that thread since Sunday.

And one Mayo poster here who is making us all look bad :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Will stop the "split Dublin" ****e talk if it doesn't happen. Never to be mentioned again!

Slattsy wrote: »

The topics of connolly/gavin and ocarroll are interesting. As was the point about things being remembered generally when a team loses. Im a gaa fan man. Hadnt really taken much notice as regards what threads they were on.

Not really on playing the man and not the topic either tbh. Isnt that against the rules on here anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Donald Trump is more of true GAA fan man than you FFS.

G'way off and sell Crazy some place else. We're all stocked up here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Hard to see anyone getting back into a top level team so soon, if at all, after returning from long absence.

If he hurls as well, he might make a difference to Crokes chances of winning Dublin.

One of things that always stuck in my craw was Gilroy stopping Rory playing in under 21 Leinster hurling final which Dublin won. He might well have made the difference in the narrow defeat by Galway in the semi final. A mean thing to do, and then your man turns up as manager of the county seniors :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

PressRun wrote:

Heard that as well from well connected GAA people in two other counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Define shooting themselves in the foot though. Beig barely beaten by a team with every advantage going, including vast differences in pick and funding and costantly playing at home?
    Im not sure an objective observer would take your view to be honest.

Good man. Never takes you long to turn the conversation in the direction you want.

corny wrote: »
    Good man. Never takes you long to turn the conversation in the direction you want.

That isnt the truth man. It is just relevant to the context of the claim that mayo shoot themselves in the foot, which was the point raised - by someone else. The point is simply, they arent really shooting themselves in the foot when they are very much outsiders. If it was said about mayo v galway for example then id agree.
    But keep playing the man if that makes you happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Gizza shout when he's gone lads.

Gizza shout when he's gone lads.

It will be after the first Mayo loss, that is the magic part he disappears then!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

It will be after the first Mayo loss, that is the magic part he disappears then!

Ah, I get you. Explains the name then so.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

That isnt the truth man. It is just relevant to the context of the claim that mayo shoot themselves in the foot, which was the point raised - by someone else. The point is simply, they arent really shooting themselves in the foot when they are very much outsiders. If it was said about mayo v galway for example then id agree.
    But keep playing the man if that makes you happy.

No logic to that. Not that i agree with the OP but they are shooting themselves if they have good chances to win and mess it up. It wouldn't matter if the universe was against them...if they have a chance to win and blow it then they're shooting themselves in the foot.

What i said was true though. It doesn't matter whats being discussed you find a way to transition to what you want to talk about. Generally you'll throw out the barb (like i quoted) and hope someone bites. If someone does bite you'll go round and round for days talking about Dublin. Its amusing and irritating in equal measure.

corny wrote: »
    No logic to that. Not that i agree with the OP but they are shooting themselves if they have good chances to win and mess it up. It wouldn't matter if the universe was against them...if they have a chance to win and blow it then they're shooting themselves in the foot.

What i said was true though. It doesn't matter whats being discussed you find a way to transition to what you want to talk about. Generally you'll throw out the barb (like i quoted) and hope someone bites. If someone does bite you'll go round and round for days talking about Dublin. Its amusing and irritating in equal measure.

I would contend that the quality of the opposition comes into it. You arent really shooting yourself in the foot if the other, more fancied team eventually manages to drive on and wins the game as expected. Especially when how they do that is by running a very strong bench and pulling away. Like what can they the current team, really do about that?

You might argue the game with the own goals but they were freakish deflections from shots at goal. The ball could go anywhere.
    The vaughan one maybe, but that is one instance and one individual. Hardly what is being claimed.

Actually I dont want to talk about that, mainly because people cant have an adult conversation about it. I stated it because I wanted to illustrate how this idea that mayo were simply shooting themselves in the foot was not really a proper representation of the situation.
    In fairness i dont think anybody contends that dublin have advantages so I dont see how it is a barb. It is just the reality of the gaa at present. In reality, the barb was in fact the point made out of the blue about mayo shooting themselves in the foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,890 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Have to agree with you.

Whether it is David Clarke sending a kickout over the sideline, or Cillian O'Connor missing a late free, Mayo have a habit of kicking it away when the pressure is on.

Was surprised to see them come through on Sunday, but as they said every other year since 2010, it's only the League.

• Advertisement

I would contend that the quality of the opposition comes into it. You arent really shooting yourself in the foot if the other, more fancied team eventually manages to drive on and wins the game as expected. Especially when how they do that is by running a very strong bench and pulling away. Like what can they the current team, really do about that?

You might argue the game with the own goals but they were freakish deflections from shots at goal. The ball could go anywhere.
    The vaughan one maybe, but that is one instance and one individual. Hardly what is being claimed.

Actually I dont want to talk about that, mainly because people cant have an adult conversation about it. I stated it because I wanted to illustrate how this idea that mayo were simply shooting themselves in the foot was not really a proper representation of the situation.
    In fairness i dont think anybody contends that dublin have advantages so I dont see how it is a barb. It is just the reality of the gaa at present. In reality, the barb was in fact the point made out of the blue about mayo shooting themselves in the foot.

Well in 2012 there was no strong favorite between Donegal v Mayo and Mayo got caught cold almost straight away by a simple tactic of the long ball to a fella who lives for them.
    Leaving him one on one.
    (I was at the game as Dublin were playing in the minor match.)

If that was not Mayo shooting themselves in the foot I don't know what is.
    Plus Donegal had to travel a longer distance to Croke Park and Mayo could not even make that advantage tell :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement