Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

blanch152 wrote: »
    Have to agree with you.

Whether it is David Clarke sending a kickout over the sideline, or Cillian O'Connor missing a late free, Mayo have a habit of kicking it away when the pressure is on.

Was surprised to see them come through on Sunday, but as they said every other year since 2010, it's only the League.

Of course it is only the league. Means little. It is nice to win it, and as the likes of yourself has been saying since 2012, its still a national title, but the real positive is the development of our younger players into genuine weapons.

Re your examples of shooting ourselves in the foot. Dean rock missed a huge amount of frees in the 2016 final, and again he started terribly in 2017. The only real difference between his misses and your examples, is that his team happened to win thr game.

If you said mayo shot themselves in the foot v galway, id agree.

Well in 2012 there was no strong favorite between Donegal v Mayo and Mayo got caught cold almost straight away by a simple tactic of the long ball to a fella who lives for them.
    Leaving him one on one.
    (I was at the game as Dublin were playing in the minor match.)

If that was not Mayo shooting themselves in the foot I don't know what is.
    Plus Donegal had to travel a longer distance to Croke Park and Mayo could not even make that advantage tell :D

Donegal were strong favourites in the bookies for the game, so your opening gambit isnt accurate. Mayo were not expected to be near the final.
    The opening goal, well 2012 was a little before double marking was really a thing and mayo didnt play a packed defence. Also the actual goal was an unbelievable finish. It is easy to say now that he should have been doubled up on, but at the time nobody was doing that.

Also for the record, Im not the person who wants to talk about mayo on the dublin thread. Im simply responding to points directed at me about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

I would contend that the quality of the opposition comes into it. You arent really shooting yourself in the foot if the other, more fancied team eventually manages to drive on and wins the game as expected. Especially when how they do that is by running a very strong bench and pulling away. Like what can they the current team, really do about that?

You might argue the game with the own goals but they were freakish deflections from shots at goal. The ball could go anywhere.
    The vaughan one maybe, but that is one instance and one individual. Hardly what is being claimed.

Actually I dont want to talk about that, mainly because people cant have an adult conversation about it. I stated it because I wanted to illustrate how this idea that mayo were simply shooting themselves in the foot was not really a proper representation of the situation.
    In fairness i dont think anybody contends that dublin have advantages so I dont see how it is a barb. It is just the reality of the gaa at present. In reality, the barb was in fact the point made out of the blue about mayo shooting themselves in the foot.

The Tyrone quarter final in 2016 more typifies Mayo than any game with Dublin. The better team but they absolutely fell over the line by virtue of the fact Tyrone had even less composure in the final minutes. Thats what they're missing.... the confidence and composure that comes with winning. A small thing thats worth a lot in tight games.

It remains to be seen if the League victory changes things for them. It might.

corny wrote: »
    The Tyrone quarter final in 2016 more typifies Mayo than any game with Dublin. The better team but they absolutely fell over the line by virtue of the fact Tyrone had even less composure in the final minutes. Thats what they're missing.... the confidence and composure that comes with winning. A small thing thats worth a lot in tight games.

It remains to be seen if the League victory changes things for them. It might.

Tyrone are good at coming up with ways to frustrate teams, as dublin found out only a few weeks ago. That isnt something exclusive to mayo.
    Again, going into that game mayo were playing poorly and had scraped through the back door - many pundits tipped tyrone to actually win it. It was a really tight affair throughout and mayo scraped through by a point, so i dont get how we were so much the better team at any stage.
    It is funny how people remember things after the fact.

I agree with some of what you say though, to get the first win, you need a bit of luck. For example 2011 - mcmanamans 12-odd step goal. They were being squeezed out of the game before that lucky break. Dublin were clearly nervy on the brink of breaking their duck.
    Even donegal in 12, when they were ruthless with everyone all the way through, stuttered and actually let mayo back into the game somewhat.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Tyrone are good at coming up with ways to frustrate teams, as dublin found out only a few weeks ago. That isnt something exclusive to mayo.
    Again, going into that game mayo were playing poorly and had scraped through the back door - many pundits tipped tyrone to actually win it. It was a really tight affair throughout and mayo scraped through by a point, so i dont get how we were so much the better team at any stage.
    It is funny how people remember things after the fact.

I agree with some of what you say though, to get the first win, you need a bit of luck. For example 2011 - mcmanamans 12-odd step goal. They were being squeezed out of the game before that lucky break. Dublin were clearly nervy on the brink of breaking their duck.
    Even donegal in 12, when they were ruthless with everyone all the way through, stuttered and actually let mayo back into the game somewhat.

Very true about Tyrone a few weeks ago but they should have played a chunk of the game with 14 men.

It seems Mayo, Kerry and Tyrone went for the league this year, fair dues to them.

IMO Gavin has brought the team back later than normal with the Super 8s in mind. In previous years he'd put more emphasis on the league but maybe he saw something in last year's preparation that made him change it up this year.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,190 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

JRant wrote: »
    It seems Mayo, Kerry and Tyrone went for the league this year, fair dues to them.

IMO Gavin has brought the team back later than normal with the Super 8s in mind. In previous years he'd put more emphasis on the league but maybe he saw something in last year's preparation that made him change it up this year.

I don't particularly think it was a case of Dublin stepping off the gas really. I would be surprised if Gavin would allow that.

The League is based on very fine margins.
    One fine margin may have been Gavin's attitude towards the forward mark. He didn't seem to change much in terms of defending or utilising it. And that would seem like Gavin to me, why focus time and effort on something that wouldn't be in for the Championship.

It certainly played a part in the Monaghan game. I believe Tyrone also made good use of it as well.

A win against Monaghan and I'm fairly sure we'd be looking at Dublin having regained the league imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

PARlance wrote: »
    I don't particularly think it was a case of Dublin stepping off the gas really. I would be surprised if Gavin would allow that.

One fine margin may have been Gavin's attitude towards the forward mark. He didn't seem to change much in terms of defending or utilising it. And that would seem like Gavin to me, why focus time and effort on something that wouldn't be in for the Championship.

It certainly played a part in the Monaghan game. I believe Tyrone also made good use of it as well.

A win against Monaghan and I'm fairly sure we'd be looking at Dublin having regained the league imo.

That would be my thinking too, only I thought he was going to get caught out by a push to have it in this year that didn't materialise as I thought.

It has allowed teams to see for themselves that the full back line is there for the taking though which is a worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Good point about the mark. The only game I recall Dublin making a good deal of use of it was against Galway when they got a few scores from marks.

That was mostly near the end of the match when Galway were tiring and defence was coughing up easier possession to inside line which was happy to knock them over rather than go for the jugular as normally be the case. In some Dublin games, there were very few marks and Monaghan did indeed make good use of it.

From watching the league final I get the impression that neither Mayo nor Kerry bought into it either. Which again is indication of top teams focus on the Summer.

I would be more concerned that Dublin are on a downward trajectory just through the natural course of events. More likely to be caught this year than in two previous years. Will make for a momentous championship I feel, despite the gloom mongers!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,190 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I think Kerry did at the start and certainly against us in Tralee. Tommy Walsh was being targeted a lot in that game.

But they do tend to play the big man inside a lot anyway against us. I think they were looking for it in the final as well, but poor deliveries and Barrett doing a good job on him frustrated them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

PARlance wrote: »

Fair point on the 'Mark', being honest I nearly forgot all about it :)

Some of the teams made good use of it alright with ourselves almost completely ignoring it.

I still think we looked very heavy legged for the first few games. Maybe it's more wishful thinking on my behalf and we are slowing down a bit but I think we'll see a fresher approach come the summer.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Parnell Passes open for renewal

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Tonight's games are on yer telly boxes...well, sort of....

https://twitter.com/DubGAAOfficial/status/1116038638410895360?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Billy Mays wrote: »
    Parnell Passes open for renewal

Done and dusted €284 winging it's way to Parnell Park - now to send the kids out begging to get the mortgage payment together for Friday :) #prioritiesintherightplace

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Done and dusted €284 winging it's way to Parnell Park - now to send the kids out begging to get the mortgage payment together for Friday :) #prioritiesintherightplace

You could always send the wife ou.................. no - best not go there :pac:

DoctaDee wrote: »

Houses come and go. Banks come and go. Mortgages come and go. Wives come and go. Kids....well, they fcuk off to Thailand in their so called 'gap' year & turn up 5 years later, broke, dodgy Russian boyfriend in tow, thinking they know it all.

But being on the Hill when the Dubs do the five in a row for the first time...you'll never get to experience that again. Best money you'll spend all year.

Seligehgit really, really, really wants to thank this post. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Houses come and go. Banks come and go. Mortgages come and go. Wives come and go. Kids....well, they fcuk off to Thailand in their so called 'gap' year & turn up 5 years later, broke, dodgy Russian boyfriend in tow, thinking they know it all.

But being on the Hill when the Dubs do the five in a row for the first time...you'll never get to experience that again. Best money you'll spend all year.

I was all set to thank that post while LOL until you concocted that second paragraph.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭KevinK

Anyone have the teams in Kilmacud Ballymount match?

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Squareball

Surprised at the lack of chat about the club championships on here........

Anyone see the TG4 coverage on Saturday. I thought it was first class, just a shame the result of the 2nd game was what it was.

Didn't see any of them, even on telly. Surprised that Raheny only drew. that was game they really needed to win in all likelihood or will miss the play offs again.

You have to feel for Ballymun. Despite the wealth of current and recent Dublin players, they have very unDublin/Gavin habit of losing games on the sideline. That's going by other accounts I've seen and heard.

ROC seems to be back with a bang. Wonder is it too late for him to come onto the Summer panel? And if so at whose expense. Philly perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

I would fancy Raheny to beat Plunkett's. That's an interesting group.

Na Fianna looked brilliant against Syls. I would fancy them to beat Kickhams in the final game in that group.

Group 2 and 3 look the easiest to predict. Lucan and Ballyboden; Vincent's and Castleknock.

Croke's v Lucan
    Vincent's v Raheny
    Ballyboden v Na Fianna
    St Jude's v Castleknock

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

Anyone head out to Parnell Park last night for the minors LFC opener against Meath? Was a good competitive game. Winning of the game was bringing on a ‘new’ full forward for the second half. Luke Swan from Castleknock I think. Every time the ball went in to him he looked dangerous & the Meath full back who had a good first half couldn’t get near him. He probably should have had a penalty as well as getting the final goal to seal it. Other players who stood out for me was the #6 & the #14 with his frees.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,761 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

D9Male wrote: »
    I would fancy Raheny to beat Plunkett's. That's an interesting group.

That was my first thought when I saw the group. I think Raheny have the players they just lack the belief. A Raheny clubman was telling me that thier lack of depth is the problem. But I don't buy that.
    With the former Dublin minors from the 2011-ish era and Fenton plus Howard they should be "the best of the rest" overall at the very least imo.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Past30Now

EICVD wrote: »
    Anyone head out to Parnell Park last night for the minors LFC opener against Meath? Was a good competitive game. Winning of the game was bringing on a ‘new’ full forward for the second half. Luke Swan from Castleknock I think. Every time the ball went in to him he looked dangerous & the Meath full back who had a good first half couldn’t get near him. He probably should have had a penalty as well as getting the final goal to seal it. Other players who stood out for me was the #6 & the #14 with his frees.

He was brilliant last year in both codes for Dublin, despite being U16 last year. Works very hard. I'd imagine he'd start the next day out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

That was my first thought when I saw the group. I think Raheny have the players they just lack the belief. A Raheny clubman was telling me that thier lack of depth is the problem. But I don't buy that.
    With the former Dublin minors from the 2011-ish era and Fenton plus Howard they should be "the best of the rest" overall at the very least imo.

Raheny looked far removed from a top team last night. They scored 1-3 in the last 50 mins against a Judes team shorn of the majority of their defence. They looked poorly coached and poorly conditioned. They lacked leadership on the pitch and showed no creativity.
    Despite the fact that he scored two goals, Brian Howard's performance was embarassing. He looked more interested in causing a row than playing football. If the officials had treated him like other players on the pitch he would not have finished the game. He pulled two players down off the ball, hand tripped another and was the third man in to an incident going high on a Jude's player in the process. He could learn a lot from Kev Mac's approach to the game last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭conor05

Lads just a quick one for the Dublin v Wexford hurling match in Parnell Park.

Went online there to get the pre match price for myself and my 4 year old.

All stand tickets seem to be gone so the option is Church terrace or golf side terrace.

Which of these terraces would have best view of Match and for a child??

Thanks in advance

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Not great options for a small child. Church side maybe slightly better sheltered from normal winds.

Get in early and you might get a spot for the child on the wall on golf club side.

Unless that has become another victim of H & S!

Church end. It's very well covered & sheltered. You can sit the young fella on top of one of the crowd barrier thingys & he'll have a grand view of the pitch. Pick a spot in one of the corners. If you go in behind the goal, you are v close to the pitch & the nets are just an arms length away. It can really block the view when you're up that close to them. Chance your arm when you arrive & ask if they'll let you into the stand, as you've a chisler with you. They may very well do. Stewards are much sounder there than in Croker.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭conor05

Thanks lads fair play il go to church end and chance arm first with the wee man in the stand.

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

Past30Now wrote: »
    He was brilliant last year in both codes for Dublin, despite being U16 last year. Works very hard. I'd imagine he'd start the next day out.

Can’t say I knew much about any of this panel until I read up on it the day after. I see he’s named at full forward for the hurlers so that might explain the half game the other night

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement