Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Twas a no brainer really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Paul Flynn has retired from inter county football.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭MFPM

Paul Flynn has retired from inter county football.

Just heard that - odd timing. Can only be injury related or else Gavin has indicated he won't get game time in the summer. Thought he had a few decent performances when he came on in the league.

edit: I see it's related to a back injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

The word legend doesn't do him justice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Easily one of the best pound for pound players that ever played football.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

By far my favourite player to ever don the blue.

Absolutely magnificent. A joy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

He was part of some of the great days. One point in the 2015 final when it was still in the balance comes to mind. Sent a waterfall of rain down from the netting behind the goals!

And another day when some gorilla tried to stop him bringing the cup over to the little girl who used to sit in the lower Cusack.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭muddle84

Happy retirement Paul Flynn, a fantastic footballer that i always hated to see on the pitch against us, but loved watching against other teams!!!

Rory O'Carroll back to sort out Seamus Darby

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

For some reason, my main memory of Flynn is in one of the few losing games we had in the Championship recently.

In the first 25 minutes against Donegal in the 2014 semi-final, he shot 4 brilliant points from distance and it seemed we would make fools of Donegal's massed defence by picking them off from the edge of the 45.

What a fool I was in hindsight, but Flynn did his part clinically.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

I see Paul Flynn retires with 6 All-Irelands, I was wondering who else is on 6, this is what I came up with:

Michael Darragh MacAuley
    Stephen Cluxton
    Bernard Brogan
    Michael Fitzsimons
    James McCarthy
    Phily McMahon
    Kevin McManamon
    Cian O'Sullivan

Anyone else?

Also, are all of those still on the current Dublin panel?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭Gael85

mystic86 wrote: »
    I see Paul Flynn retires with 6 All-Irelands, I was wondering who else is on 6, this is what I came up with:

Michael Darragh MacAuley
    Stephen Cluxton
    Bernard Brogan
    Michael Fitzsimons
    James McCarthy
    Phily McMahon
    Kevin McManamon
    Cian O'Sullivan

Anyone else?

Eoghan O'Gara

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

@Gael85

Of that 2011 team who had come through Gavin with junior and U21 AI wins

U21

Junior AI

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Michael Darragh MacAuley
    Stephen Cluxton
    Bernard Brogan
    Michael Fitzsimons
    James McCarthy
    Phily McMahon
    Kevin McManamon
    Cian O'Sullivan

Anyone else?

Was Darren Daly on the panel in 2011?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Was Paddy Andrews on the 2011 panel? Seems to have been around an age.

As for Flynn, definitely in the shake-up for one of the greatest wing-forwards of all-time. More understated (and less of a fanfare) compared to Connolly but I say he was the first name on the team-sheet. Incredible engine and well able to take a score.

I would perhaps rank only Michael Donnellan higher, and certainly would have him ahead of Galvin and Dooher from my lifetime. And this coming from someone with no affiliation at all with Dublin.

Understated is a good description. Same as Bastick, did a pile of work, and did his job efficiently,

I wonder might he have stayed on longer if he hadn't his current job?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,761 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Michael Darragh MacAuley
    Stephen Cluxton
    Bernard Brogan
    Michael Fitzsimons
    James McCarthy
    Phily McMahon
    Kevin McManamon
    Cian O'Sullivan

Anyone else?

This wikipedia article lists players who have 'played in finals' it might be some sort of help.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_All-Ireland_Senior_Football_Championship_winning_players

Strangely there is no list of all-ireland football medal winners, but there is only a list of the hurling equivalent.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_All-Ireland_Senior_Hurling_Championship_medal_winners

The football list must have been hacked by a Mayo person?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

corny wrote:
    Was Darren Daly on the panel in 2011?

No

He was one of the lads Gavin brought in. I could wrong but I think he's a 2013 draft

He's a player like Bastic, O'Gara, Fitzsimmons, Cooper and Flynn that won a junior AI Gavin

I think it was 6 with 4 making the 2011 panel and Cooper and Daly coming into the backs in 2013.

That's a serious amount of players from a junior AI team (ignoring the Kerry set up)

Darren Daly and Paddy Andrews were dropped after league final in 2011.

Stoner wrote: »
    @Gael85

Of that 2011 team who had come through Gavin with junior and U21 AI wins

U21

Junior AI

Of 2011 team Rory O'Carroll and James McCarthy had u21 AI medals from 2010.
    Bastick,Fitzsimons and O'Gara won Junior AI in 08.

• Advertisement

No

He was one of the lads Gavin brought in. I could wrong but I think he's a 2013 draft

He's a player like Bastic, O'Gara, Fitzsimmons, Cooper and Flynn that won a junior AI Gavin

I think it was 6 with 4 making the 2011 panel and Cooper and Daly coming into the backs in 2013.

That's a serious amount of players from a junior AI team (ignoring the Kerry set up)

Flynn didn't win Junior AI. He was playing senior that year.

It is pity Dublin haven't entered junior championship for about 6/7 now.

Gael85 wrote:
    Flynn didn't win Junior AI. He was playing senior that year.

I thought he did. I thought there was another from the U21 team too,

Had a look at that Junior team (you are bang on as usual) Darren Homan, a serious footballer, possibly the best partnership with Whelan that senior team had. Always wondered why he stopped playing senior football due to injury yet went all the way later on with the Juniors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Understated is a good description. Same as Bastick, did a pile of work, and did his job efficiently,

I wonder might he have stayed on longer if he hadn't his current job?

Nothing to suggest work commitments was his reason for dropping off the team. Cited injury as the reason in his personal statement.

Phenomenal player, Huge work rate and was well able to step up and kick big scores when it mattered.

Had a look at that Junior team (you are bang on as usual) Darren Homan, a serious footballer, possibly the best partnership with Whelan that senior team had. Always wondered why he stopped playing senior football due to injury yet went all the way later on with the Juniors.

That thought crossed my mind too.

Having read The Chaos Years, I wonder had it to do not only with the injury - which was bad granted - but also with some of the other issues highlighted in the book.

Darren was a great bit of stuff and did not get the sort of back up he ought to have when Armagh targeted him. It was great to see him getting some sort of an All Ireland for his troubles.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,761 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Homan was a very underrated footballer. Did Coman Goggins play for Roscommon in that 2008 junior final against Dublin or am I imagining it?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Gael85 wrote: »
    Darren Daly and Paddy Andrews were dropped after league final in 2011.

Incorrectomundo.

DD got an AI medal in 2011.

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/fingalindependent/news/allireland-medal-for-daly-27814391.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Just got a reminder about renewing Parnell Pass, which I did in early April - have any of you guys received your 2019/20 ones yet? Ta

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Not yet. Mates haven't got them either

No sign of mine either. Maybe they post them all out in bulk, in one go, when renewals have closed, instead of posting them out in drips and drabs? Renewals don't close for another 2 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭donkey balls

A few of us got an E mail today reminding us that the renewal date closes on Monday 13th May, Even though we all ready renewed I assume it was just a generic mail sent to all members.

Could you imagine forgetting to renew the pass :eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement