Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Donald Trumped

Very sad news to hear of the passing of former Dublin footballer Anton O'Toole this morning. He was 68. A fantastically gifted footballer and a multiple All-Ireland, Leinster, 2 time League winner and an 3 time All-Star winner, he was a towering figure for the Dubs during that period in the 70's and 80's, where that rivalry between themselves and Kerry will live long in the memory for so many GAA fans throughout the country.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2019/0517/1050036-dublin-great-anton-otoole-passes-away-aged-68/

May he rest in peace

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Squareball

Silky skills and an unorthodox running style, one of the cogs of the 70’s and a guiding light for the young forwards in 1983. Bringing Anton back in 1983 was that bollix Heffo’s equivalent to his bringing in big Jimbo Keaveney to the 70’s team!! Met him a few times in the 80’s, pure gent!!! One of Con Houlihan’s favourites too……That says it all for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

One of my earliest memories of watching Anton soloing the ball against Galway in 74. Such a classy player. I would like to pass on my condolences to all Dublin supporters. A great player on a great team.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭kerrysoul

A true Gaa legend. May he rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

First big match I was ever at was 1974 semi final against Cork. One of the things I remember about that was Anton scoring a goal. I could hardly tell you who scored the goals in the final last year. Great player and probably even more so than Mullins the key factor in winning in 1983.

Ar Dheis Dé, is araile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

The phrase 'legendary Dub' gets bandied about far too often, but that's what he was.

RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,165 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

I never saw Anton in the flesh. My father was a Soccer man so I had to wait until I was in my late teens to start going to Dublin games on my own circa 1988. But I do have one memory. Back in 2013 when Heffo passed away, I was sitting in a cafe in Spain, with an old and battle hardened Dublin supporter. His phone rang and it was Anton O'Toole on the other end wanting to chat about Heffo's passing. Now they are together somewhere.

Brilliant piece by Roy Curtis on Anton on indo web page.

I don't have the link but you can get it by googling their names. Free registration.

They really were a special bunch of men, and I love pointing out the Doc and Keaveney to my daughter when we bump into them in the Bridge or elsewhere on match days, and they are all down to earth sound chaps who clearly see themselves as still part of the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Exiled1

If I remember correctly, it was Anto got a very late winning goal in a low scoring and high hitting Leinster final against Meath in 1977. He had a brilliant footballing brain, covered huge ground and had an excellent left peg. I hated the Dubs at the time but Anto was an exception to that for how he played the game. RIP

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Brilliant piece by Roy Curtis on Anton on indo web page.

I don't have the link but you can get it by googling their names. Free registration.

They really were a special bunch of men, and I love pointing out the Doc and Keaveney to my daughter when we bump into them in the Bridge or elsewhere on match days, and they are all down to earth sound chaps who clearly see themselves as still part of the whole thing.

You really need to join the Twitterati B-Dawg. ;)

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/and-a-single-tear-rolled-down-that-lovely-generous-face-roy-curtis-remembers-his-great-friend-anton-otoole-38121592.html

• Advertisement

ProudDUB wrote: »

B Dawg managed to get himself barred from the Twitter machine.

True story :D

B Dawg managed to get himself barred from the Twitter machine.

True story :D

Oh I don't doubt it for a second.

Why not just re-register under a different name/email address/IP address?

I mean, you don't think anyone here actually believes I'm a Dub, do ya? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Oh I don't doubt it for a second.

Why not just re-register under a different name/email address/IP address?

I mean, you don't think anyone here actually believes I'm a Dub, do ya? ;)

Well you're not bloody proud anyway!

Not much to be proud of really, when you're a one legged (don't ask) squinty eyed, alpaca farmer from Belmullet. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Whats the best way to parnell park. Coming from lucan. Drive or bus to town and another bus out?

Thanks

Would drive if it were me. Weekend bus schedules suck.

Kenny picks same starting line up as last week.

Doubt that will be how they line out, but need to up their aggression and intensity levels tomorrow compared to last 20 minutes against Kilkenny or season's over.

Does anyone know where I can get a ticket for today's game? The local Supervalu is sold out, is there any chance of me getting one at the stadium?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,761 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Does anyone know where I can get a ticket for today's game? The local Supervalu is sold out, is there any chance of me getting one at the stadium?

I doubt it was sold out a good while ago, you could chance it, at the ground.
    There might be a fella with a spare parnell pass/season ticket floating around, or someone with a spare ticket

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Tickets on sale out side ground from tickets.ie will be no problem

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Sean Moran with a late goal to salvage a draw against Wexford.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

Nearly left it behind us again. Was sick up until the goal.
    Should have won it but nearly lost it so will happily take the point.

Nearly left it behind us again. Was sick up until the goal.
    Should have won it but nearly lost it so will happily take the point.

To be honest I think Dublin were lucky to get the draw. Should of n last week though.

Nowhere near being contenders. Just don't have the players.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

To be honest I think Dublin were lucky to get the draw. Should of n last week though.

We were the way it turned out but we were much the better side until the first Wexford goal. Then the same failings surfaced and Wexford took over. It was strange how their forwards suddenly looked too hot handle having been utterly annihilated in the minutes up to that point.

Boland and Smyth played well. Our forwards weren't helped by Wexford being very defensive but still Rushe and Dillon don't look sharp at all. We really need them. Is Mark Schutte back playing?

Schutte has played some challenges but no sign of him being used yet. Probably not fully right.

Most worrying aspect is that they seem to just collapse in the third quarter of games. That's been a feature of early every game this year, including ones they've won and worryingly, including the two games against Carlow for whom Dublin will always have been the win they will have targeted.

Forwards are way too predictable, and lack any real goal scoring threat from play. Games at this level are on fine margins and are won either by goals or almost 100% accuracy from frees. Dublin have neither.

Schutte has played some challenges but no sign of him being used yet. Probably not fully right.

Most worrying aspect is that they seem to just collapse in the third quarter of games. That's been a feature of early every game this year, including ones they've won and worryingly, including the two games against Carlow for whom Dublin will always have been the win they will have targeted.

Forwards are way too predictable, and lack any real goal scoring threat from play. Games at this level are on fine margins and are won either by goals or almost 100% accuracy from frees. Dublin have neither.

Also they need to do loads of stickwork picking the ball up quickly rather than the foostering that ends up happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Would not claim to be anything resembling an expert but we seem as far away as ever from living with the big boys Wexford did not look much and we failed to beat them so many basic mistakes all over the pitch could not fault the effort but am disappointed with that resulted to day think we would have well beaten if the game was on anywhere else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

As a wexford man, i thought the draw was fair.
    When the forwards ran at dublin, dublin struggled.
    Dublin had some terrible wides.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement