Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

As a wexford man, i thought the draw was fair.
    When the forwards ran at dublin, dublin struggled.
    Dublin had some terrible wides.

This is true and Chin coming deeper really played a big part in that. However, we were really poor in letting that happen. All through the second half Fanning was having a nightmare trying to find Wexford players. We pushed up, forced him long and every ball dropped onto our ball winners in the half back line. We cleaned up and built our lead. Then inexplicably, and not unusually for Kenny, we switched to a two man inside line. Wexford built a couple of attacks from the back and grew into the game as a result. Foot should have been kept on the jugular.

Kenny gets a free pass from Dublin fans because of his exploits with Cuala but his penchant for tightening up when in front really doesn't suit this team. They're not confident in their ability to do that and they'd be much better served by horsing it for the 70.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Good points. Cuala's game plan worked against clubs teams, and Kenny was brilliant at exploiting a two man full forward line.

Two things radically different between that and inter county:

Firstly, Dublin do not have a forward of the calibre of O'Callaghan. Sorry to say it but it is true, We don't have a Chin who can grab a game by the scruff of the neck without being told what to do for every puck out.

Secondly, good inter county teams do not have weak individuals in their backs, which club sides do, relatively speaking at least.

Just so we know our place in the pecking order :-)

"Due to the Spice Girls concert taking place in Croke Park Stadium this Friday 24th May - the GAA Ticket Office on Dorset Street will close at 2pm on Friday afternoon. Pass holders wishing to purchase a ticket with their pass for Dublin v Louth must do so by 2pm on Friday."

• Registered Users Posts: 18,761 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Just so we know our place in the pecking order :-)

"Due to the Spice Girls concert taking place in Croke Park Stadium this Friday 24th May - the GAA Ticket Office on Dorset Street will close at 2pm on Friday afternoon. Pass holders wishing to purchase a ticket with their pass for Dublin v Louth must do so by 2pm on Friday."

Ah here.
    (I said-a) Whooo, do they think they are?
    Are..are..
    (Do they think they are?) oh, oh
    Are..are..
    (I said-a) Whooo, some kind of superstar/Brian Fenton?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

This is akin to watching yer man get bit in half by the shark in Jaws. Painful. And very, very hard to watch.

https://twitter.com/DubGAAOfficial/status/1131986886099185664?s=19

• Advertisement

ProudDUB wrote: »
    This is akin to watching yer man get bit in half by the shark in Jaws. Painful. And very, very hard to watch.

https://twitter.com/DubGAAOfficial/status/1131986886099185664?s=19

They should have given the crushed one to Mayo!

I always thought there were two/three 'sams' that did the rounds in schools and pubs to prevent wear and tear of the original real one?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭MFPM

D7aEVAiXoAE6Frz.jpg

Team for tonight...Not sure this will be the team to start...No Dean Rock? Costello to start. I wonder will O'Carroll get a run?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,890 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

https://www.dublingaa.ie/news/dublin-team-named-for-louth-leinster-sfc-clash

"Many of the current Dublin squad saw action against Louth in that clash in early June 2012 - Stephen Cluxton, Philly McMahon, Rory O'Carroll, Michael Fitzsimons, James McCarthy, Kevin McManamon and Bernard Brogan all started while Eoghan O'Gara and Jonny Cooper were introduced as subs"

Diarmuid Connolly played that day. So does that paragraph mean he is definitely not part of the current squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭donkey balls

They should have given the crushed one to Mayo!

I always thought there were two/three 'sams' that did the rounds in schools and pubs to prevent wear and tear of the original real one?

We had a company family day for employees and we got the SAM out for the day I asked one the lads organising it how much it cost to have the Sam there.
    He said around €250 that was for a few hours handy money sure there does be one at the Hogan stand and in the hand ball alley..
    Wonder how the GAA got their hands on it.

On the RTE website - just read this great article about a North Dublin v South Dublin u12 football game in 2005

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2019/0402/1040302-fenton-mccaffrey-kilkenny/

oOWjGwU.png

North Dublin won

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Well tis the time of year it gets busy around these here parts. Every Dublin player is scrutinised with a fine tooth comb, steps are meticulously counted, off the ball incidents are potentially career enders for opposition players, and refs are questioned for their pro Dublin bias.

Enjoy every moment, its glorious.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,165 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Mannion off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,919 ✭✭✭enricoh

Mannion off on a red - might give louth hope of keeping it respectable!

Business as usual for now. But Mayo beaten.:eek:

Anyone get a sighter of Mannions red?

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Business as usual for now. Mayo beaten.:eek:

Fixed that for you there. You're welcome.

Slattsy wrote: »
    Anyone get a sighter of Mannions red?

Only saw it live so gone in a flash.

Terrible, terrible atmosphere tonight. But job done as expected. Costello was on fire, but bigger challenges ahead.

Met a few Meath supporters who were still despondent after their game against Carlow. If we do the 5 in a row, I'll be happy to get it over with. Mayo losing tonight and Tyrone delivering a hammering, not sure what to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Twas a very different experience to Nowlan Pk a couple of years ago, the novelty has definetely waned tbh. Mannion was clumsy challenge rather than dirty - ironic that ref saw it as a red but only a few months back let Morgan away with a yellow for the challenge on Paddy Andrews, no great dispute in my eyes both were reds. Great to see O'Carroll back and the foot long chicken teriyaki filled a hole other than that it was a long day for very little entertainment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Farawayhome

14,000 or thereabouts at the double header in Portlaoise. Dublin's support base has fallen off a cliff. Is it a case of waiting until the All Ireland series?

14,000 or thereabouts at the double header in Portlaoise. Dublin's support base has fallen off a cliff. Is it a case of waiting until the All Ireland series?

I didn't go myself.
    The two games did not appeal to me one iota from an entertainment standpoint.
    It also seemed unimportant as well.
    Plus there was the fact it was in portlaoise, not worth the effort.
    It just proves that the Leinster football championship has 'fallen off a cliff'.
    I would be more interested in the Dublin hurlers at this time of year, these days.
    There was great entertainment in Parnell v Wexford the last match.
    What is the point of going to see Dublin v Louth?
    It is almost cruel on Louth, an unfair competition.
    Plus Carlow play defensively, so I thought the Meath game would not be getting me on the edge of my seat either.
    I am surprised there was even 14k at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Strabanimal

It's almost as if you didnt go to the games as you knew your province is the easiest to win by a country mile. This will not be your year. Beat you with a man down for 20mins when your strength is supposedly your bench.

Keep the pressure on you all game and you will crumble. The riddle has been solved. The budget not so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

It's almost as if you didnt go to the games as you knew your province is the easiest to win by a country mile. This will not be your year. Beat you with a man down for 20mins when your strength is supposedly your bench.

Keep the pressure on you all game and you will crumble. The riddle has been solved. The budget not so much.

If only Tyrone knew it was that easy last August.

Fann Linn wrote: »

Easy as in defeating you or easy as in how easy you have it to get to the finals?

Quite enjoyed that game in a neutral arena however....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Easy as in defeating you or easy as in how easy you have it to get to the finals?

Quite enjoyed that game in a neutral arena however....

Easy is right. Beat Tyrone twice last year plus also in the final. Now good night.

Easy is right. Beat Tyrone twice last year plus also in the final. Now good night.

Avoid all questioning thus supporting my hypothesis you can never be seen as the greatest team ever.

Who won last? Thank you. Good night

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭frankled

I remember my first pint.

frankled wrote: »
    I remember my first pint.

So you moved from H to alcohol? Congrats pal.

This is the guy that said Tyrone wouldn't be beaten last year. He hasn't posted since. Few jars in him last night and logs back in. Lol

Avoid all questioning thus supporting my hypothesis you can never be seen as the greatest team ever.

Who won last? Thank you. Good night

Remind us again how many games Kerry (who I am presuming you think are the greatest of all time) had to play to win to win their All Ireland's in the 70's & 80's. Was it 3 or 4?

Anyway lads, we should all hail our new imperial over lords after their glorious victory over us in the league. Haven't Mayo just shown how important your league form in 2018 is.

Oh no...wait a minute, I'll go with Monaghan instead...ah crap... they're in the feckin' qualifiers too...

• Advertisement

On the RTE website - just read this great article about a North Dublin v South Dublin u12 football game in 2005

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2019/0402/1040302-fenton-mccaffrey-kilkenny/

oOWjGwU.png

North Dublin won

Great find! I remember listening to Fenton on podcast with Whelan and almost certain that he didn't really get a look in with Dublin underage until 21s, and that he concentrated on swimming for a few years and only really began to stand out again when he became more physically mature.

Obviously he always had the raw talent and good job he stuck with it! Another master class last night. On which note, reminded me of how the 70s team used to eviscerate most teams in Leinster. Great to see so many goals. Could have been ten!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement