Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Farawayhome

I didn't go myself.
    The two games did not appeal to me one itota from an entertainment standpoint.
    It also seemed unimportant as well.
    Plus there was the fact it was in portlaoise, not worth the effort.
    It just prooves that the Leinster football championship has 'fallen off a cliff'.
    I would be more interesting in the Dublin hurlers at this time of year, these days.
    There was great entertainment in Parnell v Wexford the last match.
    What is the point of going to see Dublin v Louth?
    It is almost cruel on Louth, an unfair competition.
    Plus Carlow play defensively, so I thought the Meath game would not be getting me on the edge of my seat either.
    I am surprised there was even 14k at it.

Full of excuses. Remember when Dublin couldn't play in Portlaoise? The away support would be too big for that ground to hold them all. Now 14k at a double header.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

It's almost as if you didnt go to the games as you knew your province is the easiest to win by a country mile. This will not be your year. Beat you with a man down for 20mins when your strength is supposedly your bench.

Keep the pressure on you all game and you will crumble. The riddle has been solved. The budget not so much.

The reasons I did not go were for the reasons I listed.
    Plus the Leinster Championship has been rendered meaningless since the backdoor was introduced.
    There is not even the slightest bit of tension in the games, a sending off, bounce of a ball and your team could be knocked out.
    Gone for the year in any game.
    Real cup competition, but those days are well gone, a fading memory.

Now we have the GAA doing this 'half assed' scenario with the super 8's rather than scrapping the O'Byrne cup etc - putting the provincials in January, putting the league in the summer making it round robin premier competition , problem solved.

If I was to guess, The current Super 8's are going to be the defacto division 1 teams anyway.

I also think you should be giving the next team talk for Longford/Kildare if they meet the Dubs.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Full of excuses. Remember when Dublin couldn't play in Portlaoise? The away support would be too big for that ground to hold them all. Now 14k at a double header.

How is it an excuse I am just telling you facts.
    I would travel up and down the country to see the Dubs during the league, that is my favourite time of the year. Comepetitive games, entertainment the lot.
    Even though the whether is terrible most of the time.
    The games mean something towards a bigger picture, and the system is fair.

The leinster football championship?
    Waste of money, waste of time, waste of petrol.
    It is not a fair structure really lopsided.
    What good did it do the Dublin lads, what good did it do the Louth lads?

If it was in the English FA Cup in soccer, the stronger team would play the reserves/youth players. A competition that has lost all meaning/glamour.
    I think it won't be long before that happens for Dublin in football. Imagine the furor then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Farawayhome

How is it an excuse I am just telling you facts.
    I would travel up and down the country to see the Dubs during the league, that is my favourite time of the year. Comepetitive games, entertainment the lot.
    Even though the whether is terrible most of the time.
    The games mean something towards a bigger picture, and the system is fair.

The leinster football championship?
    Waste of money, waste of time, waste of petrol.
    It is not a fair structure really lopsided.
    What good did it do the Dublin lads, what good did it do the Louth lads?

If it was in the English FA Cup in soccer, the stronger team would play the reserves/youth players. A competition that has lost all meaning/glamour.
    I think it won't be long before that happens for Dublin in football. Imagine the furor then?

There was full houses in Croke Park Dublin's Leoinster championship games a decade ago. What happened?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

There was full houses in Croke Park Dublin's Leoinster championship games a decade ago. What happened?

People have realised that no games matter in the GAA until late July any more, bar the odd qualifier game.

• Advertisement

Because the competitiveness went out of it completely.
    Meath and Kildare became a shambles and Dublin went the other way, to machine like level.

2007 was competitive against Laois (there was a rivalary from the previous years) 80k
    2008 Wexford was a novelty. 80k
    2009 Kildare gave it a bit of rattle
    2010 Meath shocked Dublin in the semis with thier five goals - so the attendance was under 50k v Louth
    2011 Wexford again vibrant team gave it a rattle attendance under 50k
    2012 Meath attendance under 70k
    2013 Meath attendance under 60k

Then Dublin started really steamrolling teams after that.

2014 Meath's last final appearance slightly over 60k
    Barring the 2017 final v Kildare where the attendance was over 60k the years between 2015 and 2018 were lucky to hit the 40k mark.

2017 was the last Leinster Final that mattered to me because Dublin got the seven in a row and made - 'The Ballad of Fourteen Men' - in need of updating.

Basically if Meath/Klldare are not reasonably strong the finals really struggle for attendances.
    Meath and Kildare are great sets of supporters who bring big numbers with them.
    That is even before you discuss the competitive angle.
    There is no fear of having a season ending defeat now because of the back door.
    The way the qualifiers are structured it suits the stronger teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

If last year marks the start of a trend and the Leinster hurling championship starts outdrawing the football on a regular basis then how long do you reckon it'll be before the politicking really kicks in about how money is distributed?

There was some talk at last year's Galway AGM about how much they are getting from Leinster (15% of the gate for the matches at Pearse Stadium for instance) but it got overshadowed by the other issues raised about Galways handling of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Strabanimal

Slattsy wrote: »
    This is the guy that said Tyrone wouldn't be beaten last year. He hasn't posted since. Few jars in him last night and logs back in. Lol

Barring that prediction I got every other prediction right including games Tyrone werent involved in. And fair play to you for winning it. Well deserved.

But look at my first post he was replying to. I was talking about this year and he replied talking about last year.

Funny you all say how easy the leinster championship is in your own thread but say the opposite in other threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭C__MC

It will be meath v Dublin this year, attendance should go up as the media are whispering that meath may be back due to promotion and there victory over Dublin last December.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Think a lot of Gaa fans are of a fairly casual nature only really get interested near the final if their county is still involved .I have no real problem with people just turning up on the the big day its their choice .I get so much enjoyment from this Dublin team that it means so much more to have been to all the games when we win the big one .Last night a crowd of about 14k was fairly low I think with four counties playing.Also with so much sport shown live on tv it has reared a lot of people to cheer their team from the bar stool . I do understand it can be pricey for a family to travel and that is understandable but I do think a lot of people use fairly weak reasons not to go but will claim to be big fans when it suits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Harsh enough red after seeing it on The Sunday Game there, he was the stronger man in the tackle, that was all. I'm sure it'll be appealed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

Harsh enough red after seeing it on The Sunday Game there, he was the stronger man in the tackle, that was all. I'm sure it'll be appealed.

Agree, thought it was the right decision in real time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Is it the same ref that allowed the assault on Paddy Andrews????

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Yep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

I'd say that genuine full houses even in Leinster Finals were rare enough at any time.

C__MC wrote: »
    It will be meath v Dublin this year, attendance should go up as the media are whispering that meath may be back due to promotion and there victory over Dublin last December.

In the O'Byrne Cup in January you mean?
    That was a draw and Meath lost on the penalty shoot out.
    Plus Dublin, played a third team and Meath took it very seriously.
    It was entertaining though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Big day for the hurlers in Carlow.

Anything less than an emphatic victory probably means the end of the season.

Bad weather as well so the -8 handicap might be a tad optimistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Bad weather? It's ****ing glorious!

Bad weather? It's ****ing glorious!

Forecast is for 30m an hour wind and rain by 3!

I know- it's Met Eireann :)

No rushie it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Half-time

Carlow 0-08 Dublin 2-10

Shane Barrett shown a straight red.

• Advertisement

Anyone who wants to listen to the Carlow v Dublin game

http://listen.kclr96fm.com/livestream/

Bret Hart wrote: »
    Half-time

Carlow 0-08 Dublin 2-10

Shane Barrett shown a straight red.

There's always something.

Really need to start well and stretch the lead. Any hint of a comeback and they'll be in trouble. Were hard to put away in Walsh and league games. Especially if they keep them in it with frees.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Keaney seems to be having a great game right when we needed players to stand up.

Full-time

Carlow 1-13(16) Dublin 2-22(28)

12 points so 6 points score difference.

Need to beat Galway and hope other results go their way. All sorts of permutations but if Wexford lose a game then they will at least get third spot for the play offs.

Hopefully the Cats don't rest up for that one!

Kildare in the semi-final next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Squareball

While I do expect Dublin to win Leinster again this year, I do think the next two matches will be harder than some people are suggesting. I think both Kildare and Meath have made strides in the last couple of years and will have nothing to lose.
    In any case, two good hard games in Leinster will help us as we prepare for the super 8’s and beyond.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I'd have Kildare a bit backwards from last year but Meath will be more challenging.

I'd have Kildare a bit backwards from last year but Meath will be more challenging.

I know it was only the O'Byrne Cup, but when Meath played Dublin they finally seemed to want to send some sort of message. They had a bit of determination in them.

Maybe, they have got over thier acceptance of defeat before they even step out on to the pitch?

Are they actually going to stand tall and give it a rattle?
    High ball to Newman seems like an obvious tactic to try (if Dublin and Meath are in the Leinster Final)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I thought that so much of what Kildare did well last year involved Daniel Flynn in some way, and he isn't in the panel this year. He seemed to be a fiery presence on the field, sometimes too fiery what with his penchant for cards, but they haven't looked as dangerous this year without him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement