Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I think Meath and Kildare have good managers, particularly Meath. I'd expect them to be better, he has his team now, hearing less about the best players in Meath not playing intercounty and more about a bit of a solid hard working team.

Some of the Meath fans would discuss this with you too, you could argue that some players went missing when the going got tough, not exactly a Meath characteristic.
    I always liked Meath teams, hated losing to them but wanted them to go on and win afterwards **
    Wouldn't have said the same about other teams. know that largely they hate the Dubs, but there was a little bit of respect there too

A bit like Donegal you'd possibly expect them to be better, being further down the road with the management team this year, lads know what's expected.

That lad is a huge loss to Kildare alright, that can suck the energy out of things. He was only one man though, they needed another couple of lads there too, it was becoming a bit predictable when he played.

*** Apart from Downs first 90s win, in 93 I think.
    Correction 91

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Stoner wrote: »
    That lad is a huge loss to Kildare alright, that can suck the energy out of things. He was only one man though, they needed another couple of lads there too, it was becoming a bit predictable when he played.

No doubt that they needed more players to stand up, but I don't think that the opposition were getting on top of him to be honest. Kildare were five points up against Kerry when he was sent off, and to be honest, they looked the better team too.

Meath are still an enigma for me, a county with all the necessary resources to excel, but went off the rails and stayed off for quite some time. Good to see that they're getting better, and yes, the folks in Meath have become quite realistic about their team, always good to chat to them, hard to find a Meath person without a wealth of knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Second that about Meath.

Hatred between two is over-stated. Some assholes on both sides but also a lot of respect. Ferocious battles, but it was all in your face. Would like to see them back as a force.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I think Meath and Kildare have good managers, particularly Meath. I'd expect them to be better, he has his team now, hearing less about the best players in Meath not playing intercounty and more about a bit of a solid hard working team.

Some of the Meath fans would discuss this with you too, you could argue that some players went missing when the going got tough, not exactly a Meath characteristic.
    I always liked Meath teams, hated losing to them but wanted them to go on and win afterwards **
    Wouldn't have said the same about other teams. know that largely they hate the Dubs, but there was a little bit of respect there too

A bit like Donegal you'd possibly expect them to be better, being further down the road with the management team this year, lads know what's expected.

1991, 93 was Derry I think.

It's more of a blow to Kildare too that he won't play, rather than being injured or something. Didn't they lose a few others that way too?

O'Neill always seems a bit of a spoofer to me but can't argue with what they did last year really though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

It's more of a blow to Kildare too that he won't play, rather than being injured or something. Didn't they lose a few others that way too?

He's doing a masters, and came out and said his head wasn't right because of everything going on. That actually increased my respect for the guy, has to be hard to say no when your county come calling. I'm of the opinion that people need to sort themselves out first before committing to anything like that, so fair play to him.

• Advertisement

Correct it was 91. Maybe I was still a bit sore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

CatInABox wrote: »
    No doubt that they needed more players to stand up, but I don't think that the opposition were getting on top of him to be honest. Kildare were five points up against Kerry when he was sent off, and to be honest, they looked the better team too.

Daniel Flynn was suspended for the Kerry game. He was sent off against Galway. It was Neil Flynn who was rather harshly sent off against Kerry.

Daniel Flynn is missed but his club-mate Paul Cribbin is arguably a bigger loss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

He's doing a masters, and came out and said his head wasn't right because of everything going on. That actually increased my respect for the guy, has to be hard to say no when your county come calling. I'm of the opinion that people need to sort themselves out first before committing to anything like that, so fair play to him.

I wouldn't disagree with his decision at all, I just think it's more of a mental blow to a panel when their top player says no, for whatever reason, rather than something like an injury.

CatInABox wrote:

I should have approached that in a different way.

One top player is not enough as the championship develops. Take Monaghan and McManus, good as he is, teams will stop or largly contain him later on in the year, they'll double up and squeeze his influence as the game develops.

Daniel Flynn was suspended for the Kerry game. He was sent off against Galway. It was Neil Flynn who was rather harshly sent off against Kerry.

Daniel Flynn is missed but his club-mate Paul Cribbin is arguably a bigger loss.

Thanks for the correction. Doesn't help the fact that I've been going around saying that to loads of people for the last year :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Correction 91

You've started your fawning over the Auld Enemies early this year.

You've started your fawning over the Auld Enemies early this year.

I'm just happy you are posting again !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭Gael85

Stephen Cluxton will become the first player to play 100 Championship games on Sunday.

Player County Year Games Starts Subs Goals Points Total Clean Sheets Conceded

Cluxton, Stephen Dublin 2001 2 2 0 0 0 0 1 -1
    2002 6 6 0 0 0 0 3 -4
    2003 4 4 0 0 0 0 3 -1
    2004 5 5 0 0 0 0 4 -1
    2005 6 6 0 0 0 0 2 -6
    2006 5 5 0 0 0 0 4 -1
    2007 6 6 0 0 0 0 4 -2
    2008 4 4 0 0 0 0 2 -4
    2009 4 4 0 0 0 0 3 -1
    2010 7 7 0 0 5 5 4 -7
    2011 6 6 0 0 12 12 3 -3
    2012 5 5 0 0 9 9 3 -2
    2013 6 6 0 0 16 16 3 -5
    2014 5 5 0 0 5 5 2 -5
    2015 7 7 0 0 1 1 4 -4
    2016 7 7 0 0 0 0 3 -6
    2017 6 6 0 0 0 0 4 -2
    2018 7 7 0 0 0 0 3 -6
    2019 1 1 0 0 0 0 1 0
    99 99 0 0 48 48 56 -61

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Nice piece on the Setanta hurling club from Ballymun

https://twitter.com/AIGIreland/status/1135894692829323264?s=09

• Registered Users Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭C__MC

I'm not sure about meath being back. I seen them against donegal in league final and they looked ordinary enough. Then offaly had them at their mercy but tried to protect a league and meath picked them off. I wont comment on the carlow game as they are in disarray. I fully expect Laois to rattle them Sunday and yes maybe even beat them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

C__MC wrote: »
    I'm not sure about meath being back. I seen them against donegal in league final and they looked ordinary enough. Then offaly had them at their mercy but tried to protect a league and meath picked them off. I wont comment on the carlow game as they are in disarray. I fully expect Laois to rattle them Sunday and yes maybe even beat them.

And I for one, will be there cheering heartily that they do.

#NeverForget91

Mannion's red card was rescinded.
    Hearing 2 of 5: Paul Mannion (Dublin)

Defending Party: Paul Mannion | Dublin

Competition: Leinster GAA Football Senior Championship

Fixture: Dublin v Louth

Venue: Portlaoise

Date: 25th May 2019

An Lár Choiste Cheannais na gComortaisí (Central Competitions Control Committee) took Disciplinary Action against Paul Mannion, alleging a breach of Riail 7.2 Category III T.O. 2019, that is to say “Behaving in a way which is dangerous to an opponent”.

Paul Mannion requested a Hearing which took place on the 6th June 2019. An Lár Choiste Éisteachta Éisteachta (Central Hearings Committee) found the alleged infraction not proven.

Therefore, no penalty was imposed, and the Committee ordered the players record to be amended accordingly.

See here.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Was inevitable #justice

• Registered Users Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Mannion's red card was rescinded.

See here.

Jayus, I didn't know they put those up on the site.

Love the terminology of some of them 'contributing to a melee' pure GAA.

Is there actually a proper distinction between a melee/fracas/hschmozzle/handbag stuff/fisticuffs?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

I assume DCB are appealing Barrett's red against Carlow?

Hard to tell in either real time or video, but question over whether it was his or Keaney's hurl, and whether it was careless rather than intentional.

Probably nor over rule Keenan if he reports it as a deliberate use of stick towards the noggin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Glad that Mannion's ban is overturned. Can understand why the referee gave the card from the collision in real time, but it's clear from the replays that it wasn't a Red card challenge.

Anyone read an article today with Coolio calling on Connolly to return to the Dublin panel. Bizzare if it has any truth to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Glad that Mannion's ban is overturned. Can understand why the referee gave the card from the collision in real time, but it's clear from the replays that it wasn't a Red card challenge.

Anyone read an article today with Coolio calling on Connolly to return to the Dublin panel. Bizzare if it has any truth to it.

I think we can forget about Connelly this year

Dermo is dunzo for 2019. Time we all just accepted it & move on & ignore all these clickbait journos & pundits who are only looking for attention.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Dermo is dunzo for 2019. Time we all just accepted it & move on & ignore all these clickbait journos & pundits who are only looking for attention.

I wonder will he ever write a book about why he left the panel?
    Or will he have to wait until Jim Gavin is no longer on the face of this earth?!

There never seems to be any discontented lads going to the papers or writing books,
    Like the time Kevin Cassidy had that falling out with Jim McGuinness.

I don't know how Jim Gavin manages to run such a tight ship.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,890 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

ProudDUB wrote: »

Someone told me according to his Instagram, he was in Italy last week.

blanch152 wrote: »
    Someone told me according to his Instagram, he was in Italy last week.

Juventus signed him? :D

Yep. At a wedding.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

• Advertisement

STB. wrote: »

Those Coolio tickets are much cheaper than a stand ticket for this weekend's matches! :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement