Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

No line up announced yet. Are we running late today?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

Any truth that Dermo was spotted with the group this week?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Slattsy wrote: »
    No line up announced yet. Are we running late today?

I'm bringing my boots, and retro 1995 jersey and only having two pints in Gills.

Just in case they are short …..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

• Registered Users Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I would say Dublin should beat the -14 if they get a good start.
    Will be in early for the first match - tough one to call.
    It will be interesting to see if Meath launch many high balls to Newman against Laois. Could be a tactic to use if they play Dublin.
    Even Galway got a goal like that with Comer I remember.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement

I'm already in Fairview Park, eating a Cornetto as we speak. Pondering that most existential of lifes questions....who to cheer for in the first match?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Bonniedog wrote:
    I'm bringing my boots, and retro 1995 jersey and only having two pints in Gills.

Mine turned Pink in the wash, say no more.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Full car for me into Croker today - shipping herself off to the Cusack as I couldn't guarantee her safety on The Hill :D, told her to trim her horns

ProudDUB wrote: »
    I'm already in Fairview Park, eating a Cornetto as we speak. Pondering that most existential of lifes questions....who to cheer for in the first match?

Don't do it you will puke that cornetto up later if you do the unthinkable

Stoner wrote: »
    Mine turned Pink in the wash, say no more.

You can wear it at the Pride march :)

• Advertisement

Don't do it you will puke that cornetto up later if you do the unthinkable

Only thing gonna make me puke today are the man buns ( yes, plural buns) that I am looking at right now. On the pitch. In Croke Park. In front of me. Humanity is fcuked !

Comrade Stoner, we have a golden rule in our house. On January 1st, all red Xmas pj's, socks, t-shirts etc etc get tossed in the bin, to prevent those kind of accidents from happening. Everyone in my family is also banned from marrying anyone from Cork and Tyrone (or even saying hello to anyone from Carlow) to prevent them ever happening in the future. You're welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

Very little coverage on RTE for the football today. Radio and TV on the hurling.

Very little coverage on RTE for the football today. Radio and TV on the hurling.

Is it on TV at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

Is it on TV at all?

The newpaper says that it is on The Sunday Game later on. No Streams, no Virgin Media, no Sky, just not shown on TV live anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

The newpaper says that it is on The Sunday Game later on. No Streams, no Virgin Media, no Sky, just not shown on TV live anywhere.

It's not Munster hurling so RTÉ won't want to know.

Though in fairness, it probably won't be much to watch.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

A good result for us, some good play, some stuff to work on, some game time for the subs. A bit of everything really.

Looking forward to Meath now, they cleared Laois easier than I thought that they would.

CatInABox wrote:
    Looking forward to Meath now, they cleared Laois easier than I thought that they would.

That equally a non event.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Stoner wrote: »
    That equally a non event.

Yeah, but my wife is from Meath, so......

I'm willing to sleep on the couch for a few nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,165 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Listened to it on KFM. They were salivating at half time and acting like funeral directors by the 60th minute. A 15 point win all the same despite the partly biased commentary I had.

Heard Costello was sublime. Does more than Rock frees aside, lot more to his game. Will Rock get back in?

• Advertisement

I got be honest I was annoyed with Dublin's attitude.
    They were very sloppy in the first half in particular.
    Losing the ball, poor passes, shots for points - falling short into the keepers hands.
    Careless wides.
    I thought if Kildare finished those goal chances what would have happened?
    It was argued to me that Dublin would have upped it.

All Dublin did was just kept Kildare working, just waiting for them to wilt while the points were picked off.

I suppose Costello will get MOM.
    But was a weird game despite not looking like the overall team did much at all, they did well on the scoreboard.
    I think Mannion got 5 from play but you would hardly call it a lung busting performance.
    But there he was gliding over points almost effortlessly.

It was odd at one stage there was not as much spread of scores of what there usually is for a Dublin team.
    Costello, Kilkenny Mannion were the main threats.

Jack Flash was unusually quiet.
    Fenton was quiet even though he got two scores.
    MDM seemed to run into traffic a lot.

I dunnno it feels wierd saying it, a 15 point win, and I am not too happy.
    I am starting to sound like those Kerry supporters who I used to hate, when they were winning most of the time.
    Is it intentional that Dublin are not playing with the 'zip' and ruthlessness - that they played with against Tyrone in last years AI?
    Or are they minding themselves and just letting other teams tire themselves out?

Slattsy wrote: »
    Heard Costello was sublime. Does more than Rock frees aside, lot more to his game. Will Rock get back in?

I don't think he will unless Scully/Howard is dropped and they reshuffle the front six.
    Costello was very busy all over the place, it reminded me of how he played at minor for the footballers/hurlers.
    Wanted the ball all the time took fellas on.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,165 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Losing the ball, poor passes, shots for points - falling short into the keepers hands.
    Careless wides.

All Dublin did was just kept Kildare working, just waiting for them to wilt while the points were picked off.

But was a weird game despite not looking like the overall team did much at all, they did well on the scoreboard.
    I think Mannion got 5 from play but you would hardly call it a lung busting performance.

It was odd at one stage there was not as much spread of scores of what there usually is for a Dublin team.

I am starting to sound like those Kerry supporters who I used to hate, when they were winning most of the time.
    Is it intentional that Dublin are not playing with the 'zip' and ruthlessness - that they played with against Tyrone in last years AI?
    Or are they minding themselves and just letting other teams tire themselves out?

Yeah I understand what your saying. I had my headphones on listening to the KFM commentary that was very different to what was happening on the pitch. I feel it was just second gear stuff and Kildare throwing the Kitchen sink at it. Not very worried myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Careless wides.

Not like me to be contrary but i thought we were very good.;)

Kildare are fit and well organised so i'd be expecting them to have some successes, especially when they're fresh in the first half. What i'd focus on was our workrate on and off the ball though.

Straight from the whistle you had waves of Dublin players sprinting up field when we had the ball. At times we completely overran them. We never relented and 26 scores against a good defence tells a story. Without the ball it was the same. We hunted them down and turned them over numerous times and we were really quick to get into shape when we lost it. We were relentless.

Only caveat being there were a few low percentage shots attempted....not used to seeing it and i'm sure Gavin wasn't impressed. Made for better football though and at least i wasn't bored out of tits watching Dublin go side to side probing for an opening.

Thought most interesting aspect of the game - and bears similarities with last year - is that they completely dominated Kildare for last half but were content to work the ball to players who were pointing from good distance, rather than create goal chances.

Which tells us two things. They are preparing for teams who will try and close them down, which is everyone really, but also keeping the powder dry for later.

Louth was aberration. Few chaps needing to make a mark, and the team needing to put the sh1ts up anyone thinking they were ripe for the taking after the league. And let's face it, as proven yesterday, louth are one of worst teams in the country.

I think kildare were set up to shoot on sight. Got some nice points but difficult to maintain.

Kilkenny was less pivotal today too, which was refreshing, looked more like he was playing as a half forward rather than from 6 to 10

Mannion didn't put in the shift tracking back either, he was taking on more shots than usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

You'll win the leinster final by a minimum of 10 points and that's if Meath are at 100%. It will be the first leinster final in all my 40 years I won't attend as a meath supporter. I'll be attending the hurling final instead.

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    You'll win the leinster final by a minimum of 10 points and that's if Meath are at 100%. It will be the first leinster final in all my 40 years I won't attend as a meath supporter. I'll be attending the hurling final instead.

What if they gave Meath a 10 point start would you go then? ;)

Seriously though the provincials are dead.
    They first blow to it was the backdoor - took away the real cup knockout feel.
    One loss and your team was gone there was a bit of tension before the backdoor system.
    No matter who you were playing, there was always the chance a team could knock another out on the day.

Now they have the super 8's it is just a gradual move towards a league system to get the auld lads with bellies to pass it at congress, bit by bit.

But with the GAA the wheel has to move very slowly, and cannot change too fast, because it would never pass 'at congress'

• Advertisement

I've yet to see TSG, but from speaking to one or two lads at the game, they said Kildare had 3/4 gilt edged goal chances, and Cluxton made some top class saves, while we didn't have that many goal chances.... that should be the other way around!!

I thought Rory O'Carroll might have got more minutes also, might have been good for him to get more time. But what do I know!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement