Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Slattsy wrote:
    I've yet to see TSG, but from speaking to one or two lads at the game, they said Kildare had 3/4 gilt edged goal chances, and Cluxton made some top class saves, while we didn't have that many goal chances.... that should be the other way around!!

They had maybe one really well worked one

They'd a couple of those shots Emmet Bolton scored from years ago. Great when they go in but wasteful if not. Skidding along the ground.

I think they were set up to shoot on sight

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

What was the story with MDM?

He seemed utterly rudderless and the tunnel vision of old seemed to be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

What was the story with MDM?

He seemed utterly rudderless and the tunnel vision of old seemed to be back.
    I agree, it was as bad as I have seen him for a while.
    At his best he is a great link man interchanging passes, surging forward runs in open space. Brought straight from his basketball moves.

But he misplaced loads of passes and ran himself into traffic.
    He might played his way out of the team.
    I doubt he will start in the Leinster final.

I don't like to see all this sloppiness appearing in the team, a gradual erosion of previous standards. In my head it like a set up for a big fall.
    All those shots from Dublin players falling into the Kildare goalies hands (Mark Donnellan).
    What was that about?
    Sloppiness can be indicative of complacency/carelessness I don't like it.
    Neither will Jim Gavin I assume.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I agree, it was as bad as I have seen him for a while.
    At his best he is a great link man interchanging passes, surging forward runs in open space. Brought straight from his basketball moves.

But he misplaced loads of passes and ran himself into traffic.
    He might played his way out of the team.
    I doubt he will start in the Leinster final.

I don't like to see all this sloppiness appearing in the team, a gradual erosion of previous standards. In my head it like a set up for a big fall.
    All those shots from Dublin players falling into the Kildare goalies hands (Mark Donnellan).
    What was that about?
    Sloppiness can be indicative of complacency/carelessness I don't like it.
    Neither will Jim Gavin I assume.

Yeah he's had some great performances off the bench in recent times so I'm guessing he was given a start based on this. Unfortunately he didn't justify it and it will be back to an impact sub role I'd say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Farawayhome

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,701 ✭✭✭eire4

What if they gave Meath a 10 point start would you go then? ;)

Seriously though the provincials are dead.
    They first blow to it was the backdoor - took away the real cup knockout feel.
    One loss and your team was gone there was a bit of tension before the backdoor system.
    No matter who you were playing, there was always the chance a team could knock another out on the day.

Now they have the super 8's it is just a gradual move towards a league system to get the auld lads with bellies to pass it at congress, bit by bit.

But with the GAA the wheel has to move very slowly, and cannot change too fast, because it would never pass 'at congress'

No questions the provincials are dead and have been for some time. Sadly your all to right about the glacial like pace of change from the GAA in seeing this and making changes.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

At a pure guess, I'd imagine that the person with the highest media profile is usually the one that commands the highest income, so I'd guess Bernard Brogan then. He might not be near the first team anymore, but he's definitely the most media savvy/friendly of the current setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

What if they gave Meath a 10 point start would you go then? ;)

Seriously though the provincials are dead.
    They first blow to it was the backdoor - took away the real cup knockout feel.
    One loss and your team was gone there was a bit of tension before the backdoor system.
    No matter who you were playing, there was always the chance a team could knock another out on the day.

Now they have the super 8's it is just a gradual move towards a league system to get the auld lads with bellies to pass it at congress, bit by bit.

But with the GAA the wheel has to move very slowly, and cannot change too fast, because it would never pass 'at congress'
    If Meath had a 10 point lad Dublin would go to 5th gear from the start and have the match level by 20 minutes. Cruise to a 5 point lead by half time and when meath run out of gas around 50mins power to a 10+ win.

The provincials are not dead. Ulster and connaught very competitive over the years. Kerry and Dublin are the problem. 4 great provincials without them.

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    If Meath had a 10 point lad Dublin would go to 5th gear from the start and have the match level by 20 minutes. Cruise to a 5 point lead by half time and when meath run out of gas around 50mins power to a 10+ win.

The provincials are not dead. Ulster and connaught very competitive over the years. Kerry and Dublin are the problem. 4 great provincials without them.

Would it be as simple as putting Dublin, Galway, Mayo, Kerry and Cork in a new round robin 'province'.
    Then put the rest of Connacht in the remains of Munster or vice versa.

If Galway can go in Leinster in the hurling...?

I suppose the provincial councils would never allow it

• Advertisement

CatInABox wrote: »
    At a pure guess, I'd imagine that the person with the highest media profile is usually the one that commands the highest income, so I'd guess Bernard Brogan then. He might not be near the first team anymore, but he's definitely the most media savvy/friendly of the current setup.

Brogan would get the most, I'd say you're right. Others are getting a fair whack though. Do the Dublin players decide to split their appearances? I mean, they give everyone a chance to cash in?

Oh yeah. Big names from Kerry and Mayo get in on this action. Seems to be more widespread in Dublin which is understandable I suppose since a lot of the big business paying for this is there. These appearance fees, the free cars and the other perks make it very appealing to make and stay on the Dublin football panel.

Oh yeah. Big names from Kerry and Mayo get in on this action. Seems to be more widespread in Dublin which is understandable I suppose since a lot of the big business paying for this is there. These appearance fees, the free cars and the other perks make it very appealing to make and stay on the Dublin football panel.

What county do you support anyway?
    I kind of get a slight sense it might not be Dublin :D

You can blame this little fella for making of the GAA superstar

Still I dunno why he does not arrive in Croke Park by helicopter yesterday with all that money he has? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Damm straight. I seriously doubt if Cillian O'Connor does all those Eir ads for free.

Any money Dublin players receive for promo appearances goes into the one kitty for the year end team holiday. It's utter bull**** that they are all living the high live thanks to appearance fees, despite what the click bait merchants would have you believe.

What county do you support anyway?
    I kind of get a slight sense it might not be Dublin :D

You can blame this little fella for making of GAA superstars...

Do you not have any answer to my queries?

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Damm straight. I seriously doubt if Cillian O'Connor does all those Eir ads for free.

Any money Dublin players receive for promo appearances goes into the one kitty for the year end team holiday. It's utter bull**** that they are all living the high live thanks to appearance fees, despite what the click bait merchants would have you believe.

Very defensive. No one said there was anything wrong with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

While I appreciate that all threads should be open to anybody to criticise, commend or commiserate; do you really need to be in here and in the AI19 thread spewing your clear bile towards the greatest Football team in the history of the game?

If I can't come in here to swap coddle recipes in peace then What's the point at all at all?

Do you not have any answer to my queries?

As to who it could be from this article?

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/dublin-football-stars-commanding-hefty-fees-for-promotional-appearances-38193584.html

I have no idea.
    But whoever it is good luck to them.
    If people are willing to pay them that much for promotional activities, that is up to those businesses.

Dublin do plenty of charity work as well

https://www.irishnews.com/sport/gaafootball/2018/09/24/news/-supporting-each-other-in-hard-times-is-what-the-gaa-is-about---dublin-boss-jim-gavin-at-run-for-anto-event-1440224/

A few in particular:

Jack McCaffery:

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/jack-mccaffrey-leaving-the-hill-behind-for-the-plains-of-africa-34870451.html

https://www.dublinlive.ie/sport/gaa/dublin-gaa-jack-mccaffrey-christmas-15595140

Rory O'Carroll:

Has done work in Brother Kevin's Capuchin centre in Smithfield

He also worked as a social worker in New Zealand

https://ie.linkedin.com/in/rory-o-carroll-0a952530

Philly McMahon:

He has his own charity called Half time talk -

https://www.dublinlive.ie/sport/philly-mcmahon-opens-up-encounter-15557073

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/its-about-helping-others-in-my-brothers-memory-dublin-star-philly-mcmahon-on-new-drug-addiction-charity-34917609.html

He got awards for it.

https://www.buzz.ie/gaa/philly-mcmahon-receives-dublin-bus-community-spirit-award-260755

But I suppose none of that will suit your increasingly vindictive narrative about Dublin?

While I appreciate that all threads should be open to anybody to criticise, commend or commiserate; do you really need to be in here and in the AI19 thread spewing your clear bile towards the greatest Football team in the history of the game?

If I can't come in here to swap coddle recipes in peace then What's the point at all at all?

I've just asked about appearance fees. If you don't know then you don't have to answer.

As to who it could be from this article?

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/dublin-football-stars-commanding-hefty-fees-for-promotional-appearances-38193584.html

I have no idea.
    But whoever it is good luck to them.
    If people are willing to pay them that much for promotional activities that is up to those businesses.

Dublin do plenty of charity work as well

https://www.irishnews.com/sport/gaafootball/2018/09/24/news/-supporting-each-other-in-hard-times-is-what-the-gaa-is-about---dublin-boss-jim-gavin-at-run-for-anto-event-1440224/

A few in particular:

Jack McCaffery:

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/jack-mccaffrey-leaving-the-hill-behind-for-the-plains-of-africa-34870451.html

https://www.dublinlive.ie/sport/gaa/dublin-gaa-jack-mccaffrey-christmas-15595140

Rory O'Carroll:

Has done work in Brother Kevin's Capuchin centre in Smithfield

He also worked as a social worker in New Zealand

https://ie.linkedin.com/in/rory-o-carroll-0a952530

Philly McMahon:

https://www.dublinlive.ie/sport/philly-mcmahon-opens-up-encounter-15557073

But I suppose none of that will suit your increasingly vindictive narrative about Dublin.

What vindictive narrative? Dublin players receive up to 6k for appearance fees, is there something wrong with that?

• Advertisement

What vindictive narrative? Dublin players receive up to 6k for appearance fees, is there something wrong with that?

Come off it man, you whine and whinge every chance you get about Dublin funding.
    And do not do it in the appropriate threads.
    Until the mods put up a warning then you start again.
    Now you have decided to move onto a new anti-Dublin crusade 'promotional fees'.

You are more transparent than Miley Cryus's latest outfit - whatever it is.
    Do you enjoy anything about the GAA at all?
    Or is your main goal just to attack Dublin non-stop?

Come off it man, you whine and whinge every chance you get about Dublin funding.
    And do not do it in the appropriate threads.
    Until the mods put up a warning then you start again.
    Now you have decided to move onto a new anti-Dublin crusade 'promotional fees'.

You are more transparent than Miley Cryus's latest outfit - whatever it is.

A bit paranoid? I was having a reasonable discussion about this with another poster until you and another fella came barging in. We think Brogan probably gets the 6k but are not sure about the other players.

A bit paranoid? I was having a reasonable discussion about this with another poster until you and another fella came barging in. We think Brogan probably gets the 6k but are not sure about the other players.

Less than a few minutes ago you are still going on about Dublin funding on the AI football 2019 thread.
    I suppose when you get banned you will already have your new username ready?
    Cop yourself on.

Less than a few minutes ago you are still going on about Dublin funding on the AI football 2019 thread.
    I suppose when you get banned you will already have your new username ready?
    Cop yourself on.

No I wasn't. If you can't discuss the topic in a reasonable manner then maybe this forum isn't for you.

No I wasn't. If you can't discuss the topic in a reasonable manner then maybe this forum isn't for you.

Who said this on the AI 2019 thread -

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=110401733

I think it needs to be clarified. What can or cannot be discussed? If it's topics that come up a lot then many things will get banned won't they? I've read loads about the tiered championship on this forum, that has to be banned? Blanket defenses? Banned. Mayo chokers? Banned. And so on.

It was in reply to this - (when the poster refered to a mods note)
    Has anyone bothered reading this note? Or are they taking it as only a warning about discussing audited finances rather than boring the a*se off everyone with talk about the various advantages Dublin have for the millionth time?

Quiet weekend ahead in the football, and without trying to be too negative, I don't think this is going to be a very exciting game. Or maybe Kevin Walsh has a more attacking rabbit up his sleeve for this year that he's going to unleash at the business end of the championship

Farawayhome I think your account maybe hacked!!!

Or is the truth that you realised you were getting no joy there and moved over here with your new topic 'Dublin Promotional fees' who could it be?

I have yet to see you discuss anything in GAA forums outside your negative criticisms of Dublin, both directly and indirectly.

Who said this on the AI 2019 thread -

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=110401733

It was in reply to this - (when the poster refered to a mods note)

Farawayhome I think your account maybe hacked!!!

You've just confirmed that you were wrong again, unless you have reading difficulties, if so you have my sympathies.

Back on topic. Does anyone have anymore information on these highly paid appearances? What do they have to do exactly? Tell a few tales? Or just bring their medals?

You've just confirmed that you were wrong again, unless you have reading difficulties, if so you have my sympathies.

Back on topic. Does anyone have anymore information on these highly paid appearances? What do they have to do exactly? Tell a few tales? Or just bring their medals?

Still on the same trick they won't bite for you?

Still on the same trick they won't bite for you?

You don't have to respond if you don't have the answers.

As was discussed earlier. Gooch had his big night out. I'd say Cillian O Connor got paid well for his advertisements. Do the Dublin players do speeches?

What was your favourite Dublin AI win farandawayhome?

Or your favourite Dublin player?

How many Dublin players from the current team would make the greatest all time Dublin team?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭C__MC

Did bernard make the 26 yesterday?
    He must be well down Jim's radar which is quite extraordinary considering his career,

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement