Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Farawayhome

C__MC wrote: »
    Did bernard make the 26 yesterday?
    He must be well down Jim's radar which is quite extraordinary considering his career,

I don't think he did. When you see the amount of talent rolling through the production line, it's easy to see why you can leave a player like Brogan off. Looks like Dean Rock has even been dropped for the foreseeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭C__MC

I don't think he did. When you see the amount of talent rolling through the production line, it's easy to see why you can leave a player like Brogan off. Looks like Dean Rock has even been dropped for the foreseeable.

That's extraordinary to be honest. Rock was outstanding in 17 and 18

• Registered Users Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I think Rock was injured.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Apparently Paddy Small is a great talent and he hasn't got much game time and Conor McHugh would walk onto most county teams. This is the strength in depth Dublin have.

Apparently Paddy Small is a great talent and he hasn't got much game time and Conor McHugh would walk onto most county teams. This is the strength in depth Dublin have.

McHugh as not developed upon his early promise, and is falling well down the pecking order. He is 25.

• Advertisement

McHugh as not developed upon his early promise, and is falling well down the pecking order. He is 25.

If he doesn't shape up he'll be shipped out. Plenty more waiting for their chance. Other counties would have given him more game time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

McHugh's had plenty of game time and opportunities. He just hasn't kicked on like Mannion, O'Callaghan etc

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

I've often wondered, how many accounts can one open at any given time?

Asking for a friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

JRant wrote: »
    Maybe the GAA should have a review of their pricing structure for games in CP. I'd prefer to go to PP being honest but if the Leinster council insist on us playing there then the fans shouldn't be expected to fork out extra just for the privilege.

Is this the only reason for the poor attendances, absolutely not. The GAA need to bring in a proper league system and do away with the shambles that is the provincial system.

€35 for stand yesterday was ripping the bottom out of it.

Got better value for the few pints in Gills watching the hurling!

By the way if the many headed hydra that is Hugh McKenna thinks that a €750,000 gate means that CP is just breaking even, I sincerely hope he never becomes Minister for Finance!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Slattsy wrote: »

Asking for a friend.

Ah no, don't you jump on the bandwagon! :D:D

Dublin v Galway this weekend should be a great game - is it being televised??

• Advertisement

Asking for a friend.

Bit obvious isn't it ah sure.
    If the Dubs were not doing so well they/him would not bother.

I often wondering if boards can check a users ip address or is that kind of thing not permitted?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Ah no, don't you jump on the bandwagon! :D:D

Twice the trouble. It also means you've two chances to get my phone number.

I've no interest in the stick fighting. Ask Bonniedog!

Jayus, I dunno, you would think it should be?
    I couldn't find it on this list.

https://www.sportsnewsireland.com/gaa/list-of-51-gaa-live-matches-scheduled-to-be-shown-on-tv-by-rte-sky-sports/

I am going to it anyway so hopefully it will be a good one - and a home win.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Bonniedog wrote: »
    €35 for stand yesterday was ripping the bottom out of it.

Got better value for the few pints in Gills watching the hurling!

By the way if the many headed hydra that is Hugh McKenna thinks that a €750,000 gate means that CP is just breaking even, I sincerely hope he never becomes Minister for Finance!

I think it's somewhere around the 30,000 mark to break even though I could be wrong - only reason I think that is that it was the justification for when the ladies gaelic brought in a €150 All Ireland levy to help cover the cost of having the stadium open, so every club in the island of Ireland had to give that amount to the LGFA and received 6 adult tickets in return. Read somewhere lately that PP has 172 games last year

Jayus, I dunno, you would think it should be?
    I couldn't find it on this list.

https://www.sportsnewsireland.com/gaa/list-of-51-gaa-live-matches-scheduled-to-be-shown-on-tv-by-rte-sky-sports/

I am going to it anyway so hopefully it will be a good one - and a home win.

Leinster Hurling Championship (Leinster SHC) x2**, Saturday, 15 June??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Anyone notice the Kevin Keegan Playing for kildare yesterday?

I think it's somewhere around the 30,000 mark to break even though I could be wrong - only reason I think that is that it was the justification for when the ladies gaelic brought in a €150 All Ireland levy to help cover the cost of having the stadium open, so every club in the island of Ireland had to give that amount to the LGFA and received 6 adult tickets in return. Read somewhere lately that PP has 172 games last year

That's the generally quoted figure.

I find that hard to believe.

How many people work on match days, that is not part of their working week anyway as CP employees?

I'm guessing 1,000 and that's probably an over-estimate.

That would be say €100,000 wage bill for security, extra catering and bar staff. No idea what insurance is but nowhere near €500,000 that would be under the break even figure.

Concerts are big earners for all concerned: GAA, acts, promoters, concessionaries, security company and with much higher insurance so that in itself would call into question the cited break even figure. If you can't make money out of 30,000 people paying to see amateurs then you are in the wrong business!

Twice the trouble. It also means you've two chances to get my phone number.

I've no interest in the stick fighting. Ask Bonniedog!

:rolleyes: God loves a chancer :D

Bonniedog wrote:
    I find that hard to believe.

That figure was quoted years ago but has since been retracted, its lead to similar posts over the years here. I am not going to look for the old posts but that 30K break even figure is wrong. It was a boom figure.

They make money on the 15K games too. They cut the their cloth to measure.

Stoner wrote: »
    That figure was quoted years ago but has since been retracted, its lead to similar posts over the years here. I am not going to look for the old posts but that 30K break even figure is wrong. It was a boom figure.

I'd be questioning the €150 AI levy ladies clubs have to pay now so given their huge attendance figures for the last few AI's - thanks for that, may have to go and cause a lot some hassle at the next Congress

• Advertisement

I think it was mentioned in that GAAconomics book that the 30k thing was an urban myth.

I think it was mentioned in that GAAconomics book that the 30k thing was an urban myth.

That the rationale for bringing in that levy! Definitely one I'm going to get some people at home to look at

I'd be questioning the €150 AI levy ladies clubs have to pay now so given their huge attendance figures for the last few AI's - thanks for that, may have to go and cause a lot some hassle at the next Congress

Someone here came up with the link to the text withdrawing it rebel girl
    I just can't remember it sorry.

Someone here came up with the link to the text withdrawing it rebel girl
    I just can't remember it sorry.

Don't worry - I'll have a root around and see

Just on attendances, judging by the bit I saw on news, there was well less than 36,000 in Aviva tonight.

Kenneth headline tomorrow: "Is this the death knell for international soccer?"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Just on attendances, judging by the bit I saw on news, there was well less than 36,000 in Aviva tonight.

That's right. And someone else also said that soccer was more entertaining than GAA.

Sounded like the same atmosphere as well.
    They should have brought Costello on!

Fann Linn wrote:
    That's right. And someone else also said that soccer was more entertaining than GAA.

I watched the Soccer tonight, I always watch Ireland if I can, it would be Rugby that I'd miss the odd game of,
    I also watched Liverpool vs Barcelona in the champions league.

Big difference in the standard

I guess most sports are like that now. Defense play hit soccer, GAA even snooker and it never suits the spectator, it's not going away, takes a bit of readjustment as a fan to appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Sounded like the same atmosphere as well.
    They should have brought Costello on!

As a ST holder for both codes who was in attendance at both games I can say, at risk of incurring the wrath of PDub, BonnieDog and Slattsy that the atmosphere was much better tonight than yesterday.

It doesn't have to always be a competition between our sports and that's not the "why" of Leinster football championships' current travails.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

No wrath from me Compadre. Sure amn't I a Leinster Rugby ST holder meself. Loves a birra d'aul fordin garrison games so I do, so I do.

Btw on this whole 30,000 punters into Croker to break even palaver...the GAA themselves have stated time & time again that it's all a load of nonsense. They open up sections of Croke Park based on the expected ticket sales. They do not incur a loss when the ticket sales meet expectations and they plan accordingly. That is true whether 5000 are entering the doors or 85,000. I can't believe that old wives tale is still being trotted out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement