Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Stoner, its not that I hold the players responsible - and at end of day am not one nor know the ins and outs - but thought some of them might played given that he is finished anyway. If not then we are in serious bother. Big loser is Dublin hurling/ we could gave gotten beaten by Tipp like that 40 years ago ....

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Is he gone yet?

Word is he's gone but nothing official.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Stoner, its not that I hold the players responsible - and at end of day am not one nor know the ins and outs - but thought some of them might played given that he is finished anyway. If not then we are in serious bother. Big loser is Dublin hurling/ we could gave gotten beaten by Tipp like that 40 years ago ....

GC has set Dublin hurling back a decade if not more. It's going to take a long time to recover from this mess unfortunately.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭coolisin

Bonniedog wrote: »

My issue on Sat there is no leader on the field who was controlling the game wanting to win.

The worst thing was there was brief flashes of the them wanting to play but then they seemed to remember they wanted to be on the bus home.

I saw very little in the way of pride in wanting to be playing for Dublin.
    I don't blame the players at all it's all rotten what ever has happened there.

Kilkenny people around me where as upset as me about the display from Dublin on Sat.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,758 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

coolisin wrote: »
    My issue on Sat there is no leader on the field who was controlling the game wanting to win.

The worst thing was there was brief flashes of the them wanting to play but then they seemed to remember they wanted to be on the bus home.

I saw very little in the way of pride in wanting to be playing for Dublin.
    I don't blame the players at all it's all rotten what ever has happened there.

Kilkenny people around me where as upset as me about the display from Dublin on Sat.

For some of the goals it seemed like some Dublin players went left, others went right and the rest waved them on.

YcbTSOi.gif

With Dooley occasionally charging out of his goal to add to the chaos

Another of the Tipp goals Breen was let run from midfield with no challenge or attempt to stop him.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

washman3 wrote: »
    Cody may be available...!!!

I see Cody wont be sanctioned as the incident isn't mentioned in the refs match report, or in other words Spillane kept his gob shut.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Donal55 wrote: »
    I see Cody wont be sanctioned as the incident isn't mentioned in the refs match report, or in other words Spillane kept his gob shut.

Yeah, I seen that happen at the time and even though there wasn't really anything in it I thought he could be in a spot of bother over it. Then I realised it's the GAA we are talking about and knew nothing would come of it. The most inconsistent shower of gombeens you'll ever see.

Not only was the qualifier on in a "neutral" venue but some genius decided to play a round of Dublin hurling matches at the same time. I mean it's almost as if they don't give two shïtes about the supporters. Look at the Wexican/Waterford game scheduled for PUC on Saturday afternoon. Not a thought for the fans having to travel. That game should be on in Nowlan, end of, but they have to pay for the shiny new stadium that nobody really wanted.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

The county board have to take a lot of responsibility for the current state of the senior hurling team.  It has been obvious for well over a year now that things have been regressing but they have done nothing to stop it and let GC carry on and then the final insult is to fix a round of games at the same time the county team is playing
    The hurlers do not bring the revenue streams that the footballers bring and it seems that the county board only care about that.  If the footballers were in the same mess, it would have been sorted a long time ago
    The next appointment is crucial and should not be a quick Davy Fitzgerald type fix

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

MDM back to full fitness and available and Jim Gavin to resume broadcasting / interviews with RTE from Sunday!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

MDM back to full fitness and available and Jim Gavin to resume broadcasting / interviews with RTE from Sunday!

Only thing left to sort now is with DC gone and Philly possibly not lining out we really need a pantomime villain for Sunday - Cooper may fill the role short term

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,065 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Only thing left to sort now is with DC gone and Philly possibly not lining out we really need a pantomime villain for Sunday - Cooper may fill the role short term

A role he was born to play. Great work in the AIF last year in fairness with the black card/no black card incident. Top top work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

What's the story with Philly? Is he injured

A role he was born to play. Great work in the AIF last year in fairness with the black card/no black card incident. Top top work.

:D .. yeah I'd really like to see him improve that aspect of his game - target the oppositions most influential player to incur a black card .. was really impressed with his work on Seamie O Shea in 2015 replay

What's the story with Philly? Is he injured

He picked up a hamstring in training.... it wasn't his :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Badum tish !

I'll get yer coat. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

The Mrs. Brown of GAA punditry ...

Great player. Plays almost identically to Lee Keegan and would have been just as deserving of player of the year last year.

He's probably happier with his Celtic Cross.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭yobr

If Dublin were to advance on Sunday and in the following quarter final which of the semi-finals would they be in? Want to do some advance ticket buying. Thanks..

yobr wrote: »
    If Dublin were to advance on Sunday and in the following quarter final which of the semi-finals would they be in? Want to do some advance ticket buying. Thanks..

They'll play the Ulster champions or the team that beats them in 1/4 finals .. in the 2nd semi 27th August

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,184 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

MDM back to full fitness

There's a surprise! That lad was never going to be out for too long, he's far too irritating to allow that!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Anyone think Bastic is going to do a Dave Foran on Kildare this weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,031 ✭✭✭Patser

Looking like a big crowd for Sunday. No lower tier tickets on sale, upper Cusack now unavailable too. Got in early yesterday for Upper Cusack with kids ticket and was seated near half way line, so large amount of sales yesterday.

Patser wrote: »
    Looking like a big crowd for Sunday. No lower tier tickets on sale, upper Cusack now unavailable too. Got in early yesterday for Upper Cusack with kids ticket and was seated near half way line, so large amount of sales yesterday.

Another bumper 60K crowd for a Leinster Final following on from the hurling by the looks of it - would be nice to think that we'll get a spectacle to match

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,343 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Another bumper 60K crowd for a Leinster Final following on from the hurling by the looks of it - would be nice to think that we'll get a spectacle to match

Hopefully not a Westmeath style spectacle as well, I'd love for us to get an early, tough, proper test. Be good for all of Leinster, too, there's a feeling of hopelessness/pointlessness from too many of their supporters right now, long term that's going to cause even more problems.

Nice little memory here from 2002. I missed it as I was attending Witnness that weekend. Little did we know what was ahead of us that summer...

https://www.rte.ie/archives/2017/0712/889716-dublin-hold-off-kildare-to-take-leinster/

CatInABox wrote: »
    Hopefully not a Westmeath style spectacle as well, I'd love for us to get an early, tough, proper test. Be good for all of Leinster, too, there's a feeling of hopelessness/pointlessness from too many of their supporters right now, long term that's going to cause even more problems.

Yeah the optics for some of a competitive game are based primarily on the final score - where Dublin in the past have put 10+ points on most of their opponents Kerry, Mayo, Monaghan etc doing so against Leinster opponents in some way demeans the accomplishment.

If Kildare come out of the game on Sunday with their heads held high and force Dublin to operate at a high tempo then it'll be a worthwhile exercise for both teams. I've no doubt that Kildare have quarter final place in their sight

Nice little memory here from 2002. I missed it as I was attending Witnness that weekend. Little did we know what was ahead of us that summer...

https://www.rte.ie/archives/2017/0712/889716-dublin-hold-off-kildare-to-take-leinster/

Aye some crowd that day .. and Alan's first goal for Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I think midfield will be key tomorrow. There is no doubt that there is an extra bit of mobility and cut to Kildare this year.
    However I see Moolick is starting for them, he's a handy enough player and good fielder but his engine has been found wanting in the past, if he's improved on that then we might have an issue at midfield. Particularly as MDMA is not right

This could be a game for Lowdnes and McCaffery to take it too them

• Advertisement

Stoner wrote: »
    I think midfield will be key tomorrow. There is no doubt that there is an extra bit of mobility and cut to Kildare this year.
    However I see Moolick is starting for them, he's a handy enough player and good fielder but his engine has been found wanting in the past, if he's improved on that then we might have an issue at midfield. Particularly as MDMA is not right

This could be a game for Lowdnes and McCaffery to take it too them

Yeah I know what yer saying, but in reality midfield will only be a battle if Kildare push up on kickouts. CON seems to be advocating a cautious approach for the Lillies in the hope they don't leave 1v1 or expose their defensive lines.

There's a lot of store been put into the Meath game last time out and in fairness it was a very good display, but Meath had no recognised midfielders Menton & Jones with Jones replaced early on left that area as a no contest.

The other area that Kildare excelled was turning over the ball - they were physically stronger than Meath, who for whatever reason persisted with taking the ball into the tackle, Cillian O'Sullivan caused them a lot of trouble with his direct running but failed repeatedly to offload before the hits came in, due in part because he didn't have support.

The Meath pre match warm up that day in Tullamore was crazy - they had a gruelling 30 mins followed by another 15 mins when they came back out in temperatures touching 30 degrees, it was of little surprise they flagged.

In saying that if they do get their fair share of possession then Feely & Moolick may well provide some quality into Flynn and Brophy, it could give Lowndes a totally different day from last looking after Brophy

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement