Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,125 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

I'd rather a ryaner then a whelo in my team

You would kinda miss that part of the game. The big men in the middle of the park battling and winning a high ball and bombing forward!

You dont see as much of it these days with goalkeepers becoming a lot more smart with how they play the ball. Its no longer a case of lashing it out into the middle for the big lads to win it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Dirkziggler

You would kinda miss that part of the game. The big men in the middle of the park battling and winning a high ball and bombing forward!

You dont see as much of it these days with goalkeepers becoming a lot more smart with how they play the ball. Its no longer a case of lashing it out into the middle for the big lads to win it.
    One week ryaner would be in middle of the field next right half back doing a job and a half.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Jayus that is an interesting one,

work-rate, versatility fear of shooting

v

Intermittent flashes of brilliance, and able to take a score/goal.

In today's team I would say Jim Gavin would pick Shane Ryan he would do any sort of job on the pitch that does not involve shooting.
    Ryaner was a great man for the 'possessions' and 'transitions' before they were invented in this new GAA parlance.
    He would also be a great man for the 'learnings' (another new word that amuses me) - he was able to adapt to different roles on the pitch (except the scoring obviously)

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Enjoyed the game, the backs and particularly the half back line were fairly focused on attack rather than defending.

Cork played very well, they were very accurate in the first half, but they played themselves into very good scoring positions.

Towards the end of the first half Dublin played better, pushing them into harder positions to score from, but it didn't continue for the second half.

Was happy to see Cooper coming on, the space offered up to M Hurley would have been harder to find if Cooper started.

I thought the lads were told to shot for goal, Costello was a bit unlucky with some of his runs, kilkenny, Con and Howard were far better at breaking the line.

Was delighted that MDMA was handed a gift, he deserved a handy one having set so many up

It was like watching Dublin from 2013, struggling in midfield, defenders leaving their men, trying to outscore them, look at John Small tonight when has he ever been so involved up the other end?

We struggled in midfield again, thankfully howard hung back as i thought J Small and McMahon let their men off too much.

Philly left most of the sweeping to O'Sullivan tonight, but scored a lot.

I prefer McCarthy and Cooper playing TBH

Happy overall, both teams went for it, again Kilkenny is avoiding a lot of the areas where the dirty ball is contested and focusing more on being a forward.

However his absence is obvious, it's more exciting watching Dublin when he's upfront, but overall it's a less disciplined team performance when he's not snapping at the ball behind midfield.

Jayus that is an interesting one,

work-rate, versatility fear of shooting

v

Intermittent flashes of brilliance, and able to take a score/goal.

In today's team I would say Jim Gavin would pick Shane Ryan he would do any sort of job on the pitch that does not involve shooting.
    Ryaner was a great man for the 'possessions' and 'transitions' before they were invented in this new GAA parlance.
    He would also be a great man for the 'learnings' (another new word that amuses me) - he was able to adapt to different roles on the pitch (except the scoring obviously)

I just loved his work rate alone, watching gallop around a pitch covering midfield and getting coman goggins out of a pickle here and there was what Shane Ryan was about

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I just loved his work rate alone, watching gallop around a pitch covering midfield and getting coman goggins out of a pickle here and there was what Shane Ryan was about

He was great, found space, turned into space. Didn't run into trouble with the ball. He was a faster Ger Brennan, he was imo a great no 6, great playing behind midfield, but he was played out of position imo simply because Dublin have the options

Think of him mopping up in a James McCarthy position, but he was very poor going forward and he was not a good fielder, but he was fantastic on the breaking ball, all half back stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Dual wheels

I totally agree, Meath used to have fantastic midfielders like Mcdermott and boots McGuinness Nestor and Crawford, cork with canty and Murphy even Westmeath with o Connell and o shaughnessy as did Dublin with whelo Ryan Darren Homan bungalow McGee etc all good midfielders, Ryan was an interesting one, not overly tall not a traditional midfielder but a great man to get stuck in, get breaking ball and had a huge engine, he was the perfect foil to whelo a bit like mdmd, the interesting thing about mcmd is that he couldn’t get near a Dublin squad for years as his footballing ability wouldn’t be great so he worked hard on his fitness and used that to his advantage, he can run and run croker suits him so well, he would struggle badly in every other position on the field but midfield is his thing

I totally agree, Meath used to have fantastic midfielders like Mcdermott and boots McGuinness Nestor and Crawford, cork with canty and Murphy even Westmeath with o Connell and o shaughnessy as did Dublin with whelo Ryan Darren Homan bungalow McGee etc all good midfielders, Ryan was an interesting one, not overly tall not a traditional midfielder but a great man to get stuck in, get breaking ball and had a huge engine, he was the perfect foil to whelo a bit like mdmd, the interesting thing about mcmd is that he couldn’t get near a Dublin squad for years as his footballing ability wouldn’t be great so he worked hard on his fitness and used that to his advantage, he can run and run croker suits him so well, he would struggle badly in every other position on the field but midfield is his thing

Michael is one those players who does a lot of hard work but you watch him at times wondering where the **** is he going.

The amount of times this season alone he's ended up the top end field with ball and panicked and threw it to someone else and ruined a move. Or he fumbles over a simple pass or ends up giving away a ridiculous free.

To put it simple he's not most elegant if players to watch but he's hard working player who shows his worth in a battle when needed.

Doesn't mean I don't choke when I see ball fall to him in front the posts though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

howiya wrote: »
    Makes perfect sense from RTE's point of view. They're only allowed show x amount of games a year by the GAA. Showing a second game today would mean having to show one game less during the business end of the season.

I think we'll be better off in the long run that the only Dublin kids that saw that performance today were the few that were at it.
    Why? Seeing your county lose is what makes life long die hard fans. It's what makes them dream of their county winning it the next year.

Dublin football attendances have been plummeting after you started dominating Leinster for too long and likewise now the AI. So kids are clearly not motivated to see them. Not like they used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    Why? Seeing your county lose is what makes life long die hard fans. It's what makes them dream of their county winning it the next year.

Dublin football attendances have been plummeting after you started dominating Leinster for too long and likewise now the AI. So kids are clearly not motivated to see them. Not like they used to be.

I'd disagree there. Our club regularly brings full age groups into Dublin games, both football and hurling. Kids like to watch their heros, Dublin kids are just lucky they are seeing the greatest team of all time, unlike me, i had to endure endless beatings, some worse than others!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Really enjoyable game yesterday, could have had 8 goals and easily conceded 3 ourselves.

Some great fielding and great scores from both sides. Think I'll head in for the first game next week.

Must say I don't really want Gough refereeing us in a semi or a final, want great today, some odd positioning and Inconsistent application of rules (it's a tough job though).

The general all Ireland thread and the changes in GAA threads are unreadable these days, just round and round in circles.

What an amazing team this is, we are spoilt by them

At least the Dubs have to go on the road to a neutral venue next week to play Roscommon.

Oh no, wait, 4th game in a row at home.

What part of simple English do you not cpmprehend?

The format is for the last time:
    One home game
    One away game
    One Croke Park game.

Neutral is a word that is not used in the format.

I hope this is simple enough for you to comprehend.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

At least the Dubs have to go on the road to a neutral venue next week to play Roscommon.

Oh no, wait, 4th game in a row at home.

There are a whole two threads this is being discussed on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

naughtb4 wrote: »
    There are a whole two threads this is being discussed on.

But he needs people to see how hilarious he is on more forums

• Registered Users Posts: 18,244 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

ArielAtom wrote: »
    What part of simple English do you not cpmprehend?

The format is for the last time:
    One home game
    One away game
    One Croke Park game.

Neutral is a word that is not used in the format.

I hope this is simple enough for you to comprehend.

Which equals two home games for Dublin. Really isn't very hard to understand but you're making a serious effort to be obtuse so fair play on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭Gael85

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Really enjoyable game yesterday, could have had 8 goals and easily conceded 3 ourselves.

Some great fielding and great scores from both sides. Think I'll head in for the first game next week.

Must say I don't really want Gough refereeing us in a semi or a final, want great today, some odd positioning and Inconsistent application of rules (it's a tough job though).

The general all Ireland thread and the changes in GAA threads are unreadable these days, just round and round in circles.

What an amazing team this is, we are spoilt by them

Since the 2016 game when kerry questioned his integrity :rolleyes:, he has given us little in games.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Which equals two home games for Dublin. Really isn't very hard to understand but you're making a serious effort to be obtuse so fair play on that.

Oh dear, a Cork comedian!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

McCaffrey 8/1 to win player of the year.

A few games to go obviously, but he was immense yesterday, and looking as good as ever. Another performance like that in a semi final or final and he's a shoe in. 8/1 is very fair, I was certain he'd be half that.

Slattsy wrote: »
    McCaffrey 8/1 to win player of the year.

A few games to go obviously, but he was immense yesterday, and looking as good as ever. Another performance like that in a semi final or final and he's a shoe in. 8/1 is very fair, I was certain he'd be half that.

I'd be concerned on his fitness levels and his inability to stay injury free slattsy.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Connolly back training according to Gavin.

Someone put up a shocked gif!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Yep. Bombshell alert.
    https://twitter.com/DubGAAOfficial/status/1150360001346711554?s=19

You have to laugh at the oh so casual way he just dropped that in there.

And no one - not the meeja, not the public, not us lot with our fingers on the pulse more than most - had an effing clue.

Well played Jim Gavin. Well played.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Yep. Bombshell alert.
    https://twitter.com/DubGAAOfficial/status/1150360001346711554?s=19

You have to laugh at the oh so casual way he just dropped that in there.

And no one - not the meeja, not the public, not us lot with our fingers on the pulse more than most - had an effing clue.

Well played Jim Gavin. Well played.

Great to hear he's back.Which one of you lot tipped of US Immigration a few weeks back. I'd love to see him line out shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭C__MC

Bernard Brogan deserves some credit for hanging around

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Great to hear he's back.Which one of you lot tipped of US Immigration a few weeks back. I'd love to see him line out shortly.

We didn't just tip him. He was planning on going, but his esta approval didn't clear in time to make the US club deadline, so he didn't go. The club he was going to issued a statement about it to clear up all the rumors swirling about.

Edit...sorry, misread that. Thought you meant which one of us incorrectly tipped him to be heading stateside.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Did not see Dermo coming back at all will be interesting to see what match he plays a part in as a max of 4 games left barring replays so few options to play with.It could be a bit of a circus so he might get some time against the rossies in a match we should win .Jim will know of course but as we have seen with Berno who I think would have come on against Meath under maby all our previous managers Jim has no time for sentiment.

Was not expecting that at all! amazing news! Where does he fit in I wonder? Seeing as Brogan hasn't even been making the bench.

What a problem to have though!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

C__MC wrote: »
    Bernard Brogan deserves some credit for hanging around

Nothing to do with his commercial social media profile of course

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Must send a tweet to Ewan to let him know.

485338.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Was not expecting that at all! amazing news! Where does he fit in I wonder? Seeing as Brogan hasn't even been making the bench.

What a problem to have though!

How can you compare the two? Brogan not even in the same league!

• Advertisement

How can you compare the two? Brogan not even in the same league!

O Gara was on the bench yesterday would of had Brogan on there over him any day.

I hope Brogan gets his chance this season he deserves to go out on a high.

Connelly hasn't played for Dublin in a long while now be incredibly curious to see how he's used and how he performs.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement