Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Would love to see him get 15/20 mins on Saturday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭munster87

Would you move Howard into midfield with Fenton to accommodate Connolly in half forward line

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

munster87 wrote: »
    Would you move Howard into midfield with Fenton to accommodate Connolly in half forward line

Thats what I'd do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭munster87

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Thats what I'd do.

Probably (definitely!) won’t happen though.
    Best 8 forward wise might be
    Fenton Howard
    Scully Connolly Kilkenny
    O Callaghan Rock Mannion

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Stoner wrote: »

Who'd be in your full back line be Crony

I haven't seen enough of O'Carroll tbh but he's obviously not the same player he was. If he was he'd walk into our team.

McMahon anoyed me again on the weekend standing off his man but you can't deny he contributes in other areas.

Hurley brushed off Mickey Fitzsimons a bit easy againt Cork.

So Byrne, Cooper and McMahon for me. We can be got at in that area thats for sure. Could Small do a job?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Just watched the Dublin v Mayo 2017 - Mid West Radio Commentary - All Ireland Final video on Youtube.
    If you've had a tough day at work, or your woman kicked you out to shed, have a watch of that.

Glorious. Simply glorious.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

corny wrote:
    So Byrne, Cooper and McMahon for me. We can be got at in that area thats for sure. Could Small do a job?

I liked him back there in the league, I like him in general, Lowndes too.

I find it hard to select that line, but Small is pushed out of my halfback line if McCarthy plays there, so Small is an option alright.

I don't think Gavin would go to war without Small though, so he could end up playing behind McCaffrey.

Cooper is the man for Hurley imo.

I just have this being that we will struggle in a game and O'Carroll will come on as a sub, and win his spot back.

I've seen nothing of him to have an opinion about his form.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,759 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

munster87 wrote: »

An all-Raheny midfield Whelo will love that!

Probably an obvious enough move alright as MDM is suspect at times.

I still would prefer Connolly as that sub for the final 20 minutes it would be the winning of a game against tired minds and legs.
    Would be a mistake starting him I think because he would be targeted during the game, potentially get him wound up.
    I think it would be much better to have him in a short burst.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

I find it hard to select that line, but Small is pushed out of my halfback line if McCarthy plays there, so Small is an option alright.

I don't think Gavin would go to war without Small though, so he could end up playing behind McCaffrey.

I just have this being that we will struggle in a game and O'Carroll will come on as a sub, and win his spot back.

Yeah I'm surprised O'Carroll hasn't been given the chance thus far but you have to trust that Gavin has seen the level he's at and its not good enough to start.

I was listening to the commentators salivating over Clifford and as you do you think yourself wait til Dublin get hold of him. Then i thought about it some more and realised maybe he could repeat that against Dublin. They're all legends in our full back line but their best days are probably behind them. Clifford gave Cian O'Sullivan the run around in the league. Mikey Fitz 5 years ago would put manners on him but now? Cooper is our best corner back but he hasn't played much of late.

John Small is quick, strong and he sticks to his job like no other. You rarely see him beaten one on one. He's more likely to follow a playmaker out the field but i'd be sure he wouldn't let us down playing corner back.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Dirkziggler

corny wrote: »

Yeah I'm surprised O'Carroll hasn't been given the chance thus far but you have to trust that Gavin has seen the level he's at and its not good enough to start.

I was listening to the commentators salivating over Clifford and as you do you think yourself wait til Dublin get hold of him. Then i thought about it some more and realised maybe he could repeat that against Dublin. They're all legends in our full back line but their best days are probably behind them. Clifford gave Cian O'Sullivan the run around in the league. Mikey Fitz 5 years ago would put manners on him but now? Cooper is our best corner back but he hasn't played much of late.

John Small is quick, strong and he sticks to his job like no other. You rarely see him beaten one on one. He's more likely to follow a playmaker out the field but i'd be sure he wouldn't let us down playing corner back.

After the knee injury cian hasn't been great let's be honest. I felt he was slowing down every attack the weekend with that 2 step he does when shifting hands. Clifford wouldn't have it his own way as Dublin back line would bully him, physically you need to better him then his ability will be null and void.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

After the knee injury cian hasn't been great let's be honest. I felt he was slowing down every attack the weekend with that 2 step he does when shifting hands. Clifford wouldn't have it his own way as Dublin back line would bully him, physically you need to better him then his ability will be null and void.

IMO Clifford will cause everyone problems, need to starve him of the ball, IMO Cooper might curb him a bit but that's about it.

Kerry would have to worry about Con and Mannion, it might be a shoot out

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Whatever about the issue with Connolly's esta application where's Bonniedog?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

seligehgit wrote: »
    Whatever about the issue with Connolly's esta application where's Bonniedog?

Assumed he was banned truth be told! Ha

IMO Clifford will cause everyone problems, need to starve him of the ball, IMO Cooper might curb him a bit but that's about it.

I wonder could could you put two fellas on him that would be Kerry's main threat gone then.
    Someone like Howard/Scully/McCarthy can drop back in front of him - they have the pace to harry him.

The rest of the 13 Dublin players should have more than enough to beat Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

He couldnt get into the U.S. to play in the Boston Championship so the All Ireland Championship was a handy fall back. While we could be surprised at that Gavin the cute old fox could be using this to take the focus off the rest of the lads with all the five in a row talk.
    Everyone is talking about Connolly

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Listening to all the pundits today all singing from the same hymn sheet, ie, 'the lads already there and putting in the graft will feel disgruntled, etc etc etc if Connolly is brought back in'.

And then I thought, none of these same pundits had any concerns for 'the lads already there and putting in the graft etc etc ...', when Rory O Carroll was brought back in.

Another thing that they've been talking about for years is how ruthless Gavin is with players, how the only way you get onto that pitch is if you earn your way onto it by training better than the rest, but suddenly it all "he's being parachuted in over the heads of players who've been there longer".

If Connolly isn't showing it in training, then he won't get near the team. That's a key part of the "process", and it applies to everyone.

CatInABox wrote: »
    Another thing that they've been talking about for years is how ruthless Gavin is with players, how the only way you get onto that pitch is if you earn your way onto it by training better than the rest, but suddenly it all "he's being parachuted in over the heads of players who've been there longer".

If Connolly isn't showing it in training, then he won't get near the team. That's a key part of the "process", and it applies to everyone.

Exactly he is just an option.
    It just shows how little there is for counties to talk about when they are talking about Connolly.
    Jayus, Vinnie Murphy did not get that hype on his comeback!

Btw no need for Connolly even MDMA is scoring goals now. Top heavy up front as is.

One thing that was glaringly missing over the past few games is someone able to kick a point from long range (barring Mannion). There have been a few occasions where teams have been sat back, inviting us on.....the first half of the Meath game in particular, where I thought someone with a big boot on them would stick over 2 or 3 points and totally negate that plan.

Connolly has proved he can do that, off both feet. No point playing a blanket defense and watching points sailing over your head between the posts.

Btw no need for Connolly even MDMA is scoring goals now. Top heavy up front as is.

One thing that was glaringly missing over the past few games is someone able to kick a point from long range (barring Mannion). There have been a few occasions where teams have been sat back, inviting us on.....the first half of the Meath game in particular, where I thought someone with a big boot on them would stick over 2 or 3 points and totally negate that plan.

Connolly has proved he can do that, off both feet. No point playing a blanket defense and watching points sailing over your head between the posts.

Issue at the minute with current style of play that long drawn out patient pressure in approaching the goal may be conflicting to Dermo as he tends to take the ball and ping it from the 45 metre line.

Yeah, it is possible the current style is somewhat dictated by the fact that we haven't got anyone to ping it from 40+ yards with any great degree of accuracy. Never hurts to have a backup plan anyway.

Imagine playing that pressing/possession game, trying to find a chink in the armour against Donegal and they batten down the hatches to try to crowd out the defense and stifle the forward line. Literally all it takes is 2 points from distance on the trot and they'd have to abandon it.

Being able to mix it up is the sign of a great team. Having Connolly back is just another arrow in the quiver to use when the situation requires it. He's a nightmare to mark, I'd say. You don't know if he's gonna have a pop or put the head down and barge towards goal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭PressRun

Clifford is borderline unmarkable, imo. It's not just his physicality, he just has great vision and forethought.
    The key to beating him is keeping the ball away from him. He won't be beat with the ball in hand. Just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

PressRun wrote: »
    Clifford is borderline unmarkable, imo. It's not just his physicality, he just has great vision and forethought.
    The key to beating him is keeping the ball away from him. He won't be beat with the ball in hand. Just my opinion.

It doesn't help defenders that as soon as they even look in his general direction he gets a free :)

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Lads has anyone any idea about the match in Omagh if it's going be Saturday of the bank holiday weekend, Just need to make plans beforehand.

https://twitter.com/DubGAAOfficial/status/1151133756025004032

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Sunday 4th of August at 4pm according to this

https://www.gaa.ie/wallchart/football/2019

Has the Cork v Roscommon game listed for the same time. Did the final round of fixtures throw in at the same time last year? Can't remember meself

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

JRant wrote: »
    It doesn't help defenders that as soon as they even look in his general direction he gets a free :)

The Mayo lads must have been all cross eyed or playing with their eyes closed so, he had 16 possesions in that game and was rewarded one free, which he was most certainly fouled for.

Billy Mays wrote: »
    Sunday 4th of August at 4pm according to this

https://www.gaa.ie/wallchart/football/2019

Has the Cork v Roscommon game listed for the same time. Did the final round of fixtures throw in at the same time last year? Can't remember meself

Yeah same time.

Pogue eile wrote: »
    The Mayo lads must have been all cross eyed or playing with their eyes closed so, he had 16 possesions in that game and was rewarded one free, which he was most certainly fouled for.

He couldn't go looking for frees against Mayo because they didn't get anywhere near him. He spent the whole match in more space than the International Space Station.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

The poor auld Dubs getting all upset because the undoubted best forward in the country had the audacity to be born outside the pale :D I guess it makes a pleasant change from the Aidan O'Shea and Cillian O'Connor hatefest.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Pogue eile wrote: »
    The poor auld Dubs getting all upset because the undoubted best forward in the country had the audacity to be born outside the pale :D I guess it makes a pleasant change from the Aidan O'Shea and Cillian O'Connor hatefest.

Oh don't you worry your pretty little head about us. Or Berno. We've long since forgiven him for being born in Kilkenny. It was touch and go for a while, but he's made up for it by marrying a Dub & having Dublin babbys. So it's all good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Well, lets hope all the hype about wonder boy doesn't go to his head again this year ..

On a more serious matter, anyone know which, if any, retail outlets are selling Hill tickets for Saturday games?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement