Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Bonniedog wrote:
    Well, lets hope all the hype about wonder boy doesn't go to his head again this year ..

LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

You're a nobody until you do it in Croke Park against Dublin!

Moving on. Are tickets on general sale for the Tyrone match?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Slattsy wrote:
    Moving on

Seemingly there is no moving on, so many threads littered with the same content.

The Pale

Lashing support groups in mass, every game, every supporter, aggressive, loud, hateful, soccer fans etc

Consistent trolling from the same posters over and over again, accounts set up to troll.

People biting at it consistently with the same responses.

It's the way it is here now consistently.

Soccer fans indeed, ironic stuff.

It's a pity the hurlers went out the way they did, that was shaping up nicely and goes under the radar here.

Hopefully it's an enjoyable super 8s it has been so far, good luck at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Stoner wrote: »
    Seemingly there is no moving on, so many threads littered with the same content.

The Pale

Lashing support groups in mass, every game, every supporter, aggressive, loud, hateful, soccer fans etc

Consistent trolling from the same posters over and over again, accounts set up to troll.

It's a pity the hurlers went out the way they did, that was shaping up nicely and goes under the radar here.

Hopefully it's an enjoyable super 8s it has been so far, good luck at the weekend.

No matter about the football, I think there would be a complete meltdown if the hurlers ever make a breakthrough. They currently get zero respect from the "traditional" counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭thesultan

kilns wrote: »
    No matter about the football, I think there would be a complete meltdown if the hurlers ever make a breakthrough. They currently get zero respect from the "traditional" counties.
    I always thought they need to win an underage all ireland at hurling to go future at senI or.

• Advertisement

thesultan wrote: »
    I always thought they need to win an underage all ireland at hurling to go future at senI or.

It looked likely a few years ago but not currently but look at other counties like Wexford who could easily win it this year, they are nothing special

• Registered Users Posts: 18,759 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Yeah that was shown up with the 'highlights' packages on TSG.
    Plus they only showed a few throwaway minutes highlights of Tipp v Laois QF.

I look forward to the days when the 'lesser lights' from Leinster are regularly beating Munster hurling teams.
    The elites have some notions in Munster hurling even the way they structure it so the 'traditional counties' cannot be relegated etc.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Not commented on it since, as can honestly say it was most disappointing defeat in hurling or football for a long long time.

Several things were exposed: bad team selection especially in midfield where we were totally creamed out of it, and nothing done to address it; several leading players going missing including one who seemed to think he had a fkn veto on team management selection a few years ago.

Ballless, embarrassing failure.

And that's all I have to say about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,652 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Not commented on it since, as can honestly say it was most disappointing defeat in hurling or football for a long long time.

Several things were exposed: bad team selection especially in midfield where we were totally creamed out of it, and nothing done to address it; several leading players going missing including one who seemed to think he had a fkn veto on team management selection a few years ago.

Ballless, embarrassing failure.

And that's all I have to say about that.

Beautifully said:p

Is Dublin the only Hurling county that doesn't have a part of the county dedicated just to Hurling.

That is to say -

You have the likes of Tipp, Kilkenny, Wexford, Waterford, Clare that are predominantly hurling.

Then you have say Galway or Cork or Offaly - where hurling is strong in one part of the county, and football is strong in the other.

Dublin seems to stand on its own where you cant really pick a single large senior club, apart from maybe Cuala, where hurling is the dominant sport.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Dirkziggler

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Is Dublin the only Hurling county that doesn't have a part of the county dedicated just to Hurling.

That is to say -

You have the likes of Tipp, Kilkenny, Wexford, Waterford, Clare that are predominantly hurling.

Then you have say Galway or Cork or Offaly - where hurling is strong in one part of the county, and football is strong in the other.

Dublin seems to stand on its own where you cant really pick a single large senior club, apart from maybe Cuala, where hurling is the dominant sport.

It is quite spread north and south side. Mainly Southside in recent years- crokes, Cuala, ballyboden, then Craobh, na Fianna Brigid's. So on so forth

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

The Pale

It's the way it

Theydont deserve any respect from hurling counties

The Pale

The level of obsession and bitterness is scary. Some serious mental health issues out there.

Hoping to make this Tyrone match. Regardless if its meaningless, both teams will be giving 100%. Tyrone will be hoping to prove a point after their spanking in the AI final.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Tombo2001 wrote: »

That is to say -

Clare is not predominantly hurling at all, there is practically no hurling in West Clare which is football country.

Tipp while not as pronounced as it was had a similar divide where there was no hurling of note in the South, which only changed in the last 25 years or so, the emergence of John Leahey was the spark that ignited it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,031 ✭✭✭Patser

Slattsy wrote: »
    Moving on. Are tickets on general sale for the Tyrone match?

Actually on this, was looking at tickets there earlier, possibly bringing in kids and surprised to see the Upper tier tickets are not yet on sale, in fact still selling lower tier seats midway to Hill/Canal - so lots and lots not sold.

Surprised as I though Tyrone would bring down a large enough group and Roscommon too for a rare trip to Croker (Cork I knew wouldn't). At the moment guessing by sections available I'd say they'd be lucky to break 40,000. I expected closer to 60,000

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Patser wrote: »
    Actually on this, was looking at tickets there earlier, possibly bringing in kids and surprised to see the Upper tier tickets are not yet on sale, in fact still selling lower tier seats midway to Hill/Canal - so lots and lots not sold.

Surprised as I though Tyrone would bring down a large enough group and Roscommon too for a rare trip to Croker (Cork I knew wouldn't). At the moment guessing by sections available I'd say they'd be lucky to break 40,000. I expected closer to 60,000

A lot of Rossies I know just aren't going to bother. They knew they needed a win or draw against Tyrone and can't see the need for paying out on tickets, petrol, food and travel time to see another defeat.
    As an aside, the Rossies have been in Croker a fair few times over the last years as playing in Div 1, Playing Div 2 finals, super 8s last year, minor footballers etc.
    I think this time they're just being realitic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Tickets on sale for Tyrone v Dubs.
    Gen admission

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

corny wrote: »
    I think they've (the rugby lads) created the belief that its a heinous crime. They've a lot to answer for!

In France they chant and make lots of noise when their own kicker is kicking. There's no problem. The Aussies and NZ'ers will make tremendous noise to put off the kicker. No problem there. By contrast if you were in Thomond and you started to boo you'd probably be attacked. They're full of **** too. The crowd regularly tries to distract the hooker throwing in at the lineout. Thats somehow ok?. Weird.
    nothing created. Simply different traditions different places. So no not full of ****e. And yes making noise with throwing in at lineout is very different situation. Never been tradition around being quiet for that...
    salmocab wrote: »
    I go to Leinster games and the amount of shushing is ridiculous, generally the only sound during the kick is shushing.
    To be honest I wouldn’t be one for shouting during it but couldn’t care less what others do. It gets blown well out of proportion though, no kicker worth his salt is going to be put off by some noise.
    I think trying to maintain a long standing tradition is very worthwhile or it could slowly erode and that isnt a good thing.

Pogue eile wrote: »
    Clare is not predominantly hurling at all, there is practically no hurling in West Clare which is football country.

Tipp while not as pronounced as it was had a similar divide where there was no hurling of note in the South, which only changed in the last 25 years or so, the emergence of John Leahey was the spark that ignited it.
    always been pockets in south tipp big into hurling butbyeah west and south tipp are mainly football. John Leahy was first from mullinahoen on tipp senior ICRC. Think they could have been junior when he started off.

John Leahy was first from mullinahoen on tipp senior ICRC. Think they could have been junior when he started off.

Would he have gotten a shout had another south Tipp footballer not been manager?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Would he have gotten a shout had another south Tipp footballer not been manager?

Ah he definitly would, he was the talk of the county from when he was 14/15 it was Paddy Doyle from Thurles that brought him into the minor set up in 1987.

• Advertisement

Pogue eile wrote: »
    Ah he definitly would, he was the talk of the county from when he was 14/15 it was Paddy Doyle from Thurles that brought him into the minor set up in 1987.

Babs still speaks highly of Leahy.

Which makes him one of probably four people ever :)

nothing created. Simply different traditions different places. So no not full of ****e. And yes making noise with throwing in at lineout is very different situation. Never been tradition around being quiet for that...

I think trying to maintain a long standing tradition is very worthwhile or it could slowly erode and that isnt a good thing.

always been pockets in south tipp big into hurling butbyeah west and south tipp are mainly football. John Leahy was first from mullinahoen on tipp senior ICRC. Think they could have been junior when he started off.

I think context is important here.

If Cork were playing say Carlow in hurling - and the Cork fans all started booing and whistling the Carlow freetakers, the optics wouldn't be too good.

Moreso if the game were in Pairc ui Chaoimh, and moreso again if Cork fans outnumbered Carlow fans by 10 to 1.

Was just crunching a few numbers and looking at the average of the starting 15 and squad in the Jim Gavin era.

2013 AI Starting 15 average age 24.66, total players used average 25.2

2018 AI Starting 15 average age 26.2, total players used average 26.9

2019 Leinster Final starting 15 average 27.2, total players used average 27.7

According to Gaelic stats the peak years of a Gaelic Footballer is between 23 and 27 which would explain the current dominance, there then is a dramatic drop off from 28 onwards.

So only going by statistics, the football team should be due to decline from their sky high standards from next year onwards, it will be interesting to see and we may see teams come closer to Dublin which may end the current begrudgery of this team and calls for splitting up etc will soon disappear

That and the pretty abysmal performances of underage football teams - okay, jury still out on the 20s! - would also suggest a decline, maybe even a dramatic one when current team starts to end its days.

In all probability the GOAT Mr. Cluxton will call it a day if we do 5 in a row. What else has he left to achieve?

He's changed the game completely, will be remembered as one of the greats, potentially lifting Sam 5 times in a row, kicked an AI winning point to get the ball really rolling, and most importantly annoyed the hell outta people as he's so quiet and poker faced (ha)... I fully expect him to hang up his gloves. That will have an immediate impact as he's irreplaceable.

Paddy Andrews could follow, O'Gara, Brogan, Kevin Mc, Cian O'Sullivan... all might decide they've played their part. Next year will be interesting for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭Gael85

nc6000 wrote: »
    Thanks. So the Davy Byrne playing now is a different one.

David Byrne plays for Naomh Olaf. There was David Byrne from Ballymun playing a couple years ago too. David Byrne the goalkeeper was Ballymun as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Slattsy wrote: »
    In all probability the GOAT Mr. Cluxton will call it a day if we do 5 in a row. What else has he left to achieve?

He's changed the game completely, will be remembered as one of the greats, potentially lifting Sam 5 times in a row, kicked an AI winning point to get the ball really rolling, and most importantly annoyed the hell outta people as he's so quiet and poker faced (ha)... I fully expect him to hang up his gloves. That will have an immediate impact as he's irreplaceable.

Paddy Andrews could follow, O'Gara, Brogan, Kevin Mc, Cian O'Sullivan... all might decide they've played their part. Next year will be interesting for sure.

You don't win anything with kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Half Time: Dublin 1-11 Laois 0-08
    Leinster U20FC Final. Game live on TG4.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

• Advertisement

Will be interesting to see how Dublin fare against the first Division 1 team they've had to play in the championship

Much the same as the last time they played a Division I team in the championship I would imagine.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement