Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,888 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Another strange day out in Croke Park.

Dublin once again looked to be playing within themselves, but still won by a bigger margin than last year.

Five championship games, and the only goal conceded was a penalty.

Can't complain though.

Edit: Oh and Mannion scored a point with his right foot again.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,759 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Poor auld Costello has no notion of getting his starting place off Rock now.
    After the display Rock gave today - Did he hit many wides at all?
    Jayus, could a fella do much better?
    Plus he got 1-1 from play, so that shattered the he only gets the frees argument....

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

blanch152 wrote: »
    Another strange day out in Croke Park.

Dublin once again looked to be playing within themselves, but still won by a bigger margin than last year.

Five championship games, and the only goal conceded was a penalty.

Can't complain though.

Edit: Oh and Mannion scored a point with his right foot again.

I didn't twig that one, I will have a look out for it on TSG.

This whole Dublin team is incredible the more you think about it, to get a massive score like that while pulling up. But not just that it is almost greeted with a shrug of the shoulders now - it's expected, it's the norm. That is a crazy level to be at.
    With the game dead as a contest after 15 minutes, at least it gave me plenty of time to try and figure out the Irish pages in the match programme.

I didn't twig that one, I will have a look out for it on TSG.

This whole Dublin team is incredible the more you think about it, to get a massive score like that while pulling up. But not just that it is almost greeted with a shrug of the shoulders now - it's expected, it's the norm. That is a crazy level to be at.
    With the game dead as a contest after 15 minutes, at least it gave me plenty of time to try and figure out the Irish pages in the match programme.

The Mannion point was after the messed up goal chance in the first half, well I think it was him off his right.

Yes, we should enjoy this team, some of the best football I have ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

The first half was exhibition stuff. Could have had six goals. No one will beat them when they play like that.

Enjoy it while we may.

• Advertisement

Bonniedog wrote: »
    The first half was exhibition stuff. Could have had six goals. No one will beat them when they play like that.

Enjoy it while we may.

Plus they never look tired, gliding around the place.
    I dunno how they do it.
    It must be sickening to play against.
    It really made me think after seeing Cork blowing smoke at around the 50/60 min mark again in the earlier game.
    Meanwhile, Dublin looked like they could play another match if they wanted to.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

I'm happy out! If we do the 5 in a row, we must do it unbeaten. If Mayo do it then it will be on the back of two defeats!:D Imagine the craic we could have with that!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭C__MC

Any concerns over the defence, I thought roscommon opened ye up in the first half easily at times or can we dismiss this?

C__MC wrote: »
    Any concerns over the defence, I thought roscommon opened ye up in the first half easily at times or can we dismiss this?

The way that Dublin play, teams will get chances to score against them if you have a go. Cork got plenty of chances last week.

However, if you have a go, you will also leave yourself open. Someday, a team will go toe to toe with Dublin, but will get lucky with a sending-off for Dublin, an injury to a key player and some bad wides from the Dublin forwards. What happens then will be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

C__MC wrote: »

Plenty around me tried to dismiss but i'm not buying it. We can be got at and it looks like the 'we'll score more than you gameplan' is back in vogue. You wouldn't put it passed Dublin of course with the front 6 they have but a Donegal 2014 3 goal shock really wouldn't surprise either.

The team that beats Dublin is going to have to be strong upstairs though. Roscommon were beaten before the throw in. They stood still when a team mate had the ball and they indulged themselves in stupid fouling when they didn't. They must be an infuriating team to follow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭C__MC

corny wrote: »
    Plenty around me tried to dismiss but i'm not buying it. We can be got at and it looks like the 'we'll score more than you gameplan' is back in vogue. You wouldn't put it passed Dublin of course with the front 6 they have but a Donegal 2014 3 goal shock really wouldn't surprise either.

The team that beats Dublin is going to have to be strong upstairs though. Roscommon were beaten before the throw in. They stood still when a team mate had the ball and they indulged themselves in stupid fouling when they didn't. They must be an infuriating team to follow.

I'd be amazed if gavin went 15 v 15 against Kerry for example. Surely it's to risky in such a high stakr game? Although Dublin are the goat tbf
    I wonder how they will counteract Tyrone and mc Shane?
    Dont think philly could handle him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Grandeeod wrote: »
    I'm happy out! If we do the 5 in a row, we must do it unbeaten. If Mayo do it then it will be on the back of two defeats!:D Imagine the craic we could have with that!

I can assure you we wouldnt give a fiddlers **** or care what anyone thinks. Situation isn't going to arise anyway. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

I see our Kildare man in Brazil has posted what only can be described as a drink fuelled tweet personally attacking Jim Gavin, the sooner the publication and radio shows that pay this man stop, the better. He has reached a new low.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

ArielAtom wrote: »
    I see our Kildare man in Brazil has posted what only can be described as a drink fuelled tweet personally attacking Jim Gavin, the sooner the publication and radio shows that pay this man stop, the better. He has reached a new low.

And being called out on it from all corners. I’ve said it before but he gets more like Gemma O’Doherty every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,247 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

That tweet was absolutely scandalous, then has the audacity to back it up in the follow up comments.

What did he say?

Was talking to someone before the game who mentioned a tweet he made after Jonny Cooper was nearly killed by that lunatic on Dorset Street.

All of this mad stuff was previously unknown to me. Way beyond journalism!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Bonniedog wrote: »
    What did he say?

Was talking to someone before the game who mentioned a tweet he made after Jonny Cooper was nearly killed by that lunatic on Dorset Street.

All of this mad stuff was previously unknown to me. Way beyond journalism!

He called him “a disingenuous bull****ter” trying to ruin the game and a “disgusting sportsman” amongst other things.

Definitely had a few jars I’d say. Parody account at this stage.

It’s still up there but I won’t link to it.

Collie D wrote: »
    He called him “a disingenuous bull****ter” trying to ruin the game and a “disgusting sportsman” amongst other things.

Lovely!

He's becoming a bit like that diplomat in Malcolm Lowry's Under the Volcano, ranting from his tequila sodden exile.

The odious,bitter quasi 'journalist' strikes again.
    Tying to make a name from sensationalist guff on the back of great men as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

He should be made apologize or dropped from whoever facilitates his opinions. His attack was personal and frankly disgraceful

• Advertisement

He should be made apologize or dropped from whoever facilitates his opinions. His attack was personal and frankly disgraceful

In later tweets he went on to call Jim Gavin a low life

• Registered Users Posts: 25,400 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

kilns wrote: »
    In later tweets he went on to call Jim Gavin a low life

I hope that in turn his employers will see this and return him to the dole Q.

It’s a real show of a classy journalist to pick on a man who has assembled and coached one of the most dynamic and best sports teams in the history of the country and who goes about his business in a quiet, respectful and sporting manner. Then again Gavin has had the gaul to be consistently successful thus depriving others of due elation, success and spiritual fulfillment, terrible carry on.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

that particular journalist is getting exactly what they want - a reaction. Please do not link to it - you are able to find it on Twitter.

Still no excuse for name calling

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

There is only one way of dealing with the likes of MacKenna.

Bring it to the attention of those who give him the space in the first instance.

No responsible or respectable journalist post this type nonsense.

EAADxU0WsAE-Dfc?format=jpg&name=large

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

You were asked not to link that tweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    You were asked not to link that tweet.

He should not be offered any protection and should be accountable for his own posts. Accordingly I recommend anyone who has a twitter account reports it to the people who publish his rants.

Journalistic integrity is not something that should be taken as a given. Neither should freedom to bring it to peoples attention be stimied. This is about the depth of this "journalist"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭coolisin

While not worth giving them a reaction this person should be reminded of that tweet every time they write an article.

Because it removes all his integrity and shows how much of a personal vendetta he has against Dublin.

He has since deleted the tweeted now rewording it. No doubt his employers were on to him. But every time offtheball or Ivan Yates calls him he should always be reminded of this. The guy should be fired but won’t be as he gets enough clicks on his click bait articles. What’s worse is guys like Miguel Delaney defending him, you wouldn’t see a respectable journalist saying those things and his employers need to be reminded consistently of that

This was a public personal attack on a good man who doesn’t get paid a penny for what he does. McKenna has no right to drag his name into the gutter along with his own

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

STB. wrote: »
    There is only one way of dealing with the likes of MacKenna.

Bring it to the attention of those who give him the space in the first instance.

No responsible or respectable journalist post this type nonsense.

EAADxU0WsAE-Dfc?format=jpg&name=large

I downloaded that image for posterity. Tweeted OTB there anyway.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement