Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,125 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Donegal and Kerry dunno who would be the better team to get in the semis?

Kerry have improved as summers went on and Donegal have been solid threwout.

Michael Murphy has been brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Donegal and Kerry dunno who would be the better team to get in the semis?

Kerry have improved as summers went on and Donegal have been solid threwout.

Michael Murphy has been brilliant.

Kerry. Cos I don't want them near a final.

Think where getting a good game no matter who we end up playing there won't be much in it surely.

Still think even though Kerry have improved somewhat at the back they can still be got at. Donegal are picking up lot of injuries which could affect them further it goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

that particular journalist is getting exactly what they want - a reaction. Please do not link to it - you are able to find it on Twitter.

Still no excuse for name calling

Fair enough, but should he be given space in the media write what he tries to pass off as legitimate sports commentary?

If those are his opinions then he is entitled to them, and can use Twitter or FB or blog to do so. It hardly qualifies as allegedly serious journalism!

No more than it would if a pol corr was to personally insult Varadker or McDonald or Martin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭rolling boh

After watching today am in no doubt either Kerry or Donegal will give us plenty to deal with a lot of really good scores and both not slow on a bit of gamesmanship .I still think we give too many chances away but up to now have not played a real quality team that would take advantage of .A bit sorry last night berno got no time would like to have seen him bow out this year with some game time at least hard to see him get time in semi or final if we make it.

• Advertisement

Have to say getting into that time of the championship where starting to get a bit nervous about whats ahead semi final on wards.

There is so much at stake for Dublin.
    On there day they can beat any team in the country but i dont think its a foregone conclusion some would make it out to be.

Where leaving ourselves very open this season im hoping that will change against bigger and better teams otherwise it could cost us. I think if we perform we have to much all over the pitch for anyone else though.

Donegal and Kerry where very impressive threw out that game today and on other occasions this summer. I think overall Donegal are the better team and some bad decision making cost them the win today.

Kerry have some very good players there's no doubt but they have there issues at the back and i think some of them in different areas of the pitch can go missing at times during games. Today was the same again they got into a period when they missed a few scores and it was looking like they where gonna fade off but came back into it.

Take Clifford out of that team and i think you will really see how the other forwards are not as consistent game in game out.

Murphy McHugh and McBrearty have been in great form this season for Donegal and if they lost one of them it would really show especially Murphy. There picking up a fair few injuries all of a sudden now so that might come into play.

One way or another ill be hoping Mayo somehow get into our semi final :pac:
    There an old dog waiting to be put down at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

This so called journalist is regularly given a forum to air his views on so called 'respectable' programs such as The Last Word with Matt Cooper and Off The Ball. I have a lot of respect for the fine work that the mods do here, but I think people should be allowed to link to his Twitter rantings here, so as to publicize exactly what kind of a character we are dealing with.

He's very, very careful to mask his true nature when he's invited to sit at the grown ups table, live on air. Different story altogether when he can rant away to his hearts content on Twitter, when there is no one there to keep him in line. In the interests of fairness, those rantings should be highlighted, if only to give people who may not be on Twitter & who only know him from mainstream media, the full picture of what kind of character we are dealing with.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

kilns wrote: »
    He has since deleted the tweeted now rewording it. No doubt his employers were on to him. But every time offtheball or Ivan Yates calls him he should always be reminded of this. The guy should be fired but won’t be as he gets enough clicks on his click bait articles. What’s worse is guys like Miguel Delaney defending him, you wouldn’t see a respectable journalist saying those things and his employers need to be reminded consistently of that

This was a public personal attack on a good man who doesn’t get paid a penny for what he does. McKenna has no right to drag his name into the gutter along with his own

I could'nt agree more and understand your ire.Totally unacceptable,I hope he is held to account for such an unfair attack on Jim Gavin's character.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭aridion

I think Donegal or Kerry could rattle Dublin this year (Donegal moreso). They have the fluidity to their play and they are fast and can counter attack at speed. They were weakened today against a good Kerry team (3 main defenders missing). 2 of those backs will be back for the game against Mayo, I am not a Donegal supporter, but I have watched them closely this year, and they have a well balanced team, who can attack and take long range scores. They, in my opinion are the team that have the ability to stop the 5 in a row. Although they will have to be at their best to do that. Baile Atha Cliath Abu!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I haven't posted much on the forum much this week as I find it frustrating here at the moment.

However I've been keeping the mods here busy becoming an annoying lurker rather than a contributor !!!

I reported that post, and the ones from Fan of Netflix etc. Including posts for and against the tweet.

IMO I thought it best to remove it.

I agree with the mod action. The individual wants attention, and the trolls that exist here in numbers would continue to give it air. Plus we have posters that go down the same road all the time too.

Long ago on boards you could get a ban for diverting people elsewhere, to other forums, but that's an antiquated one at this stage.

It's all negative poisonous stuff anyway, he's said what's he's said and can't be taken seriously by any reasonable outlet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

He is taken seriously. That's the problem. By highlighting what he is really like, that might change.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

We just won't play as loose against the likes of Donegal, Kerry, Tyrone or Mayo. We've been playing what's in front of us so far and that will continue. I expect Scully and Howard to provide more protection and McCarthy and McMahon to play a more reserved role.

That being said I love the attacking play so far this championship. The movement and interplay is something to behold and whatever about containing other teams, they have a whole different ballgame trying to contain ours.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

ProudDUB wrote: »
    He is taken seriously. That's the problem. By highlighting what he is really like, that might change.

Everyone knows what he's really like, however for the most part they like what he has to say and continue to entertain him. He's been very clear for a number of years now that he hates this Dublin team and everything about them. For what reason is anyone's guess but he is consistently given a voice.

The McKenna thing is a symptom of the whole dumbing down of journalism which is social media led and sensationalist.

Gavin annoys yellow press because he doesn't cater to them by providing cheap headlines, so they personally attack him. Don't think he gives a fk, and its keeps them mostly away from rest of them.

Worst think they usually say about him is that he is boring! Although Cantwell a couple of years ago on Sportsperson of the year - at which dancing horses were apparently the team of the year - asked Gavin about the "funny way" he talked!

So, thats what you are dealing with really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Bonniedog wrote: »
    The McKenna thing is a symptom of the whole dumbing down of journalism which is social media led and sensationalist.

Gavin annoys yellow press because he doesn't cater to them by providing cheap headlines, so they personally attack him. Don't think he gives a fk, and its keeps them mostly away from rest of them.

Worst think they usually say about him is that he is boring! Although Cantwell a couple of years ago on Sportsperson of the year - at which dancing horses were apparently the team of the year - asked Gavin about the "funny way" he talked!

So, thats what you are dealing with really.

He may have alienated himself today with another Drunken text from last night he cherrypicked an article from years ago and concluded that Shane Lowry supports and promotes fascism!! No doubt this will be deleted too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Don't give him any airtime would be my take on it. Its been obvious for a long time but he's really shown his cards for everyone to see now.

He has his audience; the uneducated, unemployed lads with a large blue and navy chip on their shoulder. These same lads probably never kicked a ball in their lives.

You've bitter, jealous, people in every walk of life, whether it be the car in your driveway or the wife on your arm, and sport is no different. Enjoy every minute of it, because we're under their skin and they're obsessed with us. It's glorious. Bask in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 The Dench

Tickets are for sale for the Tyrone match.

Don't know what demand will be like, given that it's a dead rubber. (They sold out fairly sharpish last year)

…. Shane Lowry supports and promotes fascism!! No doubt this will be deleted too.

I'm afraid to ask!

Re: Omagh, I assume county pass holders and season tickets will get first dibs?

Slattsy wrote: »
    Don't give him any airtime would be my take on it. Its been obvious for a long time but he's really shown his cards for everyone to see now.

He has his audience; the uneducated, unemployed lads with a large blue and navy chip on their shoulder. These same lads probably never kicked a ball in their lives.

You've bitter, jealous, people in every walk of life, whether it be the car in your driveway or the wife on your arm, and sport is no different. Enjoy every minute of it, because we're under their skin and they're obsessed with us. It's glorious. Bask in it.

I would normally agree with you but this chap has access to plenty of airtime. It's not your garden variety troll on Twitter who are best ignored.

This fella needs a large spotlight shone on his comments. Sunlight is the best disinfectant for people like him. I would love for someone on OTB to ask him to explain his comments about Gavin but knowing them they'll be too hung up on the gender imbalance in underwater synchronized swimming.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,759 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

JRant wrote: »
    I would normally agree with you but this chap has access to plenty of airtime. It's not your garden variety troll on Twitter who are best ignored.

This fella needs a large spotlight shone on his comments. Sunlight is the best disinfectant for people like him. I would love for someone on OTB to ask him to explain his comments about Gavin but knowing them they'll be too hung up on the gender imbalance in underwater synchronized swimming.

Plus he had the neck to tweet that Dublin fans gave him 'personal abuse', after his previous tweet which personally abused Jim Gavin....

The man is in his own bubble.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

The Dench wrote: »
    Tickets are for sale for the Tyrone match.

Don't know what demand will be like, given that it's a dead rubber. (They sold out fairly sharpish last year)

Just got two, thanks. Deadrubber alright, but always nice to play up there. Will also decide who tops group.

JRant wrote: »

I know what yer saying.

Now I don't listen to OTB so cant ever say I've heard him. But he probably doesn't get paid for that?

It would be the likes of the Irish Independent, where he does get a few bob for his so called 'journalism', that would need to be made aware of his comments. However, given the clickbait philosophy of the Indo, they're more than happy to let it go.... clicks = €€€€€

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Plus winner & loser of the game will know who they will face in Semi Final with other group matches on the Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I know what yer saying.

Now I don't listen to OTB so cant ever say I've heard him. But he probably doesn't get paid for that?

It would be the likes of the Irish Independent, where he does get a few bob for his so called 'journalism', that would need to be made aware of his comments. However, given the clickbait philosophy of the Indo, they're more than happy to let it go.... clicks = €€€€€

Contributors get paid on radio stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Contributors get paid on radio stations.

You will always get a few Dublin haters even in the national media publications but is attack on Shane Lowry hopefully will make these outlets take a look and distance themselves from this guy, he is up there with Gemma ODoherty, Katie Hopkins and Piers Morgan saying stuff to get a reaction and to stay relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,759 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

You will always get a few Dublin haters even in the national media publications but is attack on Shane Lowry hopefully will make these outlets take a look and distance themselves from this guy, he is up there with Gemma ODoherty, Katie Hopkins and Piers Morgan saying stuff to get a reaction and to stay relevant.

He does not even make comments in a humorous way it just comes across as uncalled for nastiness.
    I asked him could he direct people to the work he submitted when he won the 2012 award. As it was so long ago it was difficult to find.

http://journalismawards.ie/categories/

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Anyone know of any return buses going to Omagh?

Tried Ulsterbus but last one at 8pm coming back via Belfast looking around at other options if any suggestions otherwise its the car up and back

Has DD stopped posting?

Paddy Small going to be some player. Looks like this could be his breakthrough year, thought he took his chance extremely well last weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Paddy Small going to be some player. Looks like this could be his breakthrough year, thought he took his chance extremely well last weekend.

He must be good if JG kept on persisting with him despite getting injured so much. He wouldn't do that for the craic so the lad is obviously performing very well in training.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement