Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

They'll know what the permutations are after Saturday night - actually fancy Mayo especially if McBrearty is out - but don't think they'll be thinking of anything other than a win either way.

Beating Tyrone well would be a great preparation for the semi final against whoever it might be. Main concern about Sunday is that they come out of it without any injuries or sendings off. Omagh usually throws up something.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Bonniedog wrote: »
    They'll know what the permutations are after Saturday night - actually fancy Mayo especially if McBrearty is out - but don't think they'll be thinking of anything other than a win either way.

Beating Tyrone well would be a great preparation for the semi final against whoever it might be. Main concern about Sunday is that they come out of it without any injuries or sendings off. Omagh usually throws up something.[/quot

Yes Please God, definitely no injuries or bans. Jonny be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,125 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Theres plenty of players on the panel good enough to be starting and beating Tyrone i dont think we need to be playing our strongest team in a game like this.

We all know what Tyrone are like and especially how they will play in there own back garden so its not worth taking that risk with a semi final the following weekend.

I wouldnt be surprised to see them rest a few players themselves sure. They have being picking up cards for fun this season sure.

Danger is that they might see it as chance to do us damage before the semi final and final .

I seriously would not put anything past them as they know they haven't a hope of beating us either in omagh or in the final all things being equal.

Danger is that they might see it as chance to do us damage before the semi final and final .

I seriously would not put anything past them as they know they haven't a hope of beating us either in omagh or in the final all things being equal.

After what happened to Paddy Andrews in the league and the fact there keeper got away with it nothing would surprise me with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭C__MC

Tyrone will be going for this
    They wont to be playing Kerry in the semi
    Theyd fancy themselves against mayo or donegal

C__MC wrote: »
    Tyrone will be going for this
    They wont to be playing Kerry in the semi
    Theyd fancy themselves against mayo or donegal

Donegal made them look very average earlier in Ulster. I know they have improved as things have went on but they looked very ordinary against Roscommon and Cork at times especially Cork.

After what happened to Paddy Andrews in the league and the fact there keeper got away with it nothing would surprise me with them.

Indeed. Actually think they were planning to do a bit of a reverse Omagh 2006 that night! I wonder if Dublin decided to not take the challenge?

I know that sounds paranoid, but your man has done that before against other teams, and when they were at their best in the 2003-10 period.

If I was them, with my baddest hat on, I would try and drag Dublin into a dog fight with the outcome being a morale boosting win with bragging rights about sorting out the soft Dubs, or a nasty affair in which Dublin come away with collateral damage in the form of suspensions and injuries, and the result not meaning anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

McCaffrey is the one player I'd definitely be resting on Sunday

Wonder will we see any of Connelly or Brogan on Sunday?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Indeed. Actually think they were planning to do a bit of a reverse Omagh 2006 that night! I wonder if Dublin decided to not take the challenge?

I know that sounds paranoid, but your man has done that before against other teams, and when they were at their best in the 2003-10 period.

If I was them, with my baddest hat on, I would try and drag Dublin into a dog fight with the outcome being a morale boosting win with bragging rights about sorting out the soft Dubs, or a nasty affair in which Dublin come away with collateral damage in the form of suspensions and injuries, and the result not meaning anything.

Sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander. We can afford to lose a few lads to suspensions, busted jaw etc etc a lot more than Tyrone can. Our panel is deeper than theirs. I wouldn't be attempting to go down that road if I was a member of the Tyrone brain trust.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I don't know who will be starting or on the bench, wouldn't be surprised if O'Gara got a run.

You'd never know with Gavin. Not sure giving lads a run rates highly with him.

It would be a good game to introduce Connelly, he's little history with them, don't think he'd get a particularly hostile reception

• Registered Users Posts: 18,759 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander. We can afford to lose a few lads to suspensions, busted jaw etc etc a lot more than Tyrone can. Our panel is deeper than theirs. I wouldn't be attempting to go down that road if I was a member of the Tyrone brain trust.

I think those days are gone now with the amount of TV cameras, phone cameras, social media. Nobody gets away with anything now.
    When was 'the battle of Omagh' again?

12 years ago according to this - https://www.sportsjoe.ie/gaa/tyrone-dublin-battle-of-omagh-169362

It was my first trip to Tyrone as well!

I have no notion what the result will be in this one - could be a going through the motions job. Or fringe lads could be given a run out meaning it could get fiery.
    I doubt neither team will want to lose it in fairness.
    Plus if Dublin do the five in a row it would be nice to do it unbeaten the whole way through. So no cute Kerry hoor will go putting an asterisk beside it.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Stoner wrote: »
    I don't know who will be starting or on the bench, wouldn't be surprised if O'Gara got a run.

You'd never know with Gavin. Not sure giving lads a run rates highly with him.

It would be a good game to introduce Connelly, he's little history with them, don't think he'd get a particularly hostile reception

You are probably right about Gavin he seems to value the winning momentum.
    Rarely makes changes these days until the game is won.

EOG is a red card waiting to happen, he would liven it up one way or another.
    I dunno how he is still on the panel to be honest. Gavin obviously thinks he can do a job others can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,400 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

A strong set of officials I think will be vital. We have seen the reaction sometimes when certain Northern teams and their supporters are a bit under the kosh and when the scoring and game isn’t in their favor, especially at home. Referee and officials need to be diligent in applying the rules fairly as per the rule book. This way we can all enjoy a thoroughly enjoyable, fair, competitive and entertaining football game.

You are probably right about Gavin he seems to value the winning momentum.
    Rarely makes changes these days until the game is won.

EOG is a red card waiting to happen, he would liven it up one way or another.
    I dunno how he is still on the panel to be honest. Gavin obviously thinks he can do a job others can't.

Gara has to start!

Got winning goal in 2010 and put the bould Ricey on his arse :)

I have strong feeling that this game is going to be memorable for whatever reason, rather than the borefest being predicted.

Gara has to start!

Got winning goal in 2010 and put the bould Ricey on his arse :)

I have strong feeling that this game is going to be memorable for whatever reason, rather than the borefest being predicted.

I hope your'e right I feel like a bit of an eejit to be going up for a dead rubber game.
    But I enjoyed the spin the last time I up there - it is real GAA country that's for sure.

Tyrone is a great spot and know lots of great people from there. But I admit to them not being one of my favourite GAA counties!

There's always been a bit of an edge there since '95 and I don't imagine Sunday will be different.

Why? You go to the games, dead rubber or not. You go to the O'Byrne cup games too don't you?

Last year was dead rubberish too maybe not for them. I enjoyed it, to be honest these days out are few and far between

This isn't that bad. Heading to Cork for a dead rubber game would be the one game in this group I'd miss if it happened.

But it would have been better heading somewhere new.

Head down to Kerry, beat them eat all their 99s

Head up to Donegal, beat them, eat all their cod.

Head up to Mayo, beat them eat all their sandwiches.

Something different to last year would be preferred, but it could be a lot worse, it's an appealing game.

I'd imagine Kerry's trip to Navan isn that appealing, but it's a young Kerry team and Meath have been playing better so I think that might be ok.

Stoner wrote: »
    Why? You go to the games, dead rubber or not. You go to the O'Byrne cup games too don't you?

Last year was dead rubberish too maybe not for them. I enjoyed it, to be honest these days out are few an far between

This isn't that bad. Heading to Cork for a dead rubber game would be the one game in this group I'd miss if it happened.

But it would have been better heading somewhere new.

Head down to Kerry, beat them eat all their 99s

Head up to Donegal, beat them, eat all their cod.

Head up to Mayo, beat them eat all their sandwiches.

Something different to last year would be preferred, but it could be a lot worse, it's an appealing game.

I'd imagine Kerry's trip to Navan isn that appealing, but it's a young Kerry team and Meath have been playing better so I think that might be ok.

Well done - you should be writing the match programmes!

I suppose, I went to the Meath v Dublin O'Byrne Cup semi-final in Parnell enjoyed that never thought I would see a penalty shoot out in GAA.

I enjoy the novelty of the 'away' trip though especially if the weather is decent.
    It seems a world a way from the freezing soulless Croke Park during the league when if your'e not soaked, your'e counting your'e bits.

The Sliverbirch hotel seems to be the 'go to' place near the stadium if I remember correctly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

Think the GAA should have done something with the price of the match for Cork v Rossies.

€25 for a proper dead rubber. Both teams gone. I’d would in my hoop pay that along with other expenses (for Rossies).

At least our one is a fight for top spot and we progress to the semis.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭yobr

Heading to Omagh on Sunday. Which end of the ground will the Dubs be in?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

yobr wrote: »

Get in early and grab a seat!

The Sliverbirch hotel seems to be the 'go to' place near the stadium if I remember correctly

Sally's for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

yobr wrote: »

The Sally's end.

Just follow the sound of the bodhran's.

We're kinda hard ta miss. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Just An Opinion

Connolly named #20 for Sunday?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Connolly named #20 for Sunday?

So you're saying there's a chance..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Slattsy wrote: »
    So you're saying there's a chance..

He may even start :eek:

McDaid back in, O'Gara at 14, Lowdnes down to start. Brogan and Buglar on the bench, McGowan and O'Connor in the subs too with Connelly.
    O'Carroll starting

O'Sullivan, Rock, not on the bench.

Tyrone have a completely different team named too. Both using this as a bonus practice game, lads playing for a spot.

• Advertisement

If those teams start, and he springs the bench with DC, Bernard and a few othersm Dublin could win by ten or more. Would Harte really want that on their own pitch?

Going to be intriguing first half at least.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement