Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Are Am Eye wrote: »
    subs named are -

16. Evan Comerford
    17. Denis Bastick
    18. Bernard Brogan
    19. David Byrne (olaf)
    20. Shane Carthy (vin)
    21. Brian Howard
    22. Philip McMahon
    23. Kevin McManamon
    24. Ciaran Reddin
    25. Mark Schütte
    26. John Small

Where's Flynn and Basquel these days? Are they fit and just not good enough to get on panel?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Not bowled over by that performance but credit to Kildare for that. Bar the two lapses in concentration for the goals they were very well drilled.

Dublin are conceding a lot of simple scores right in front of their posts. Its a worry because Kerry won the league final with a raft of simple scores in the second half. Needs to addressed.

McCarthy to 5, ask more of the half forwards in defence and play a midfielder who sits. McCarthy and Fenton don't work well together imo. Too often they're both attacking at the same time.

Paul Flynn solves all of these problems btw. His work rate is epic, he can play midfield (better than McCarthy) and he has the discipline to do a good job in a holding role.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

corny wrote: »
    Not bowled over by that performance but credit to Kildare for that. Bar the two lapses in concentration for the goals they were very well drilled.

Yeah very much a similar feeling myself .. I'll watch it back later but I can't remember the last time we were dominated as much at midfield. I thought Kildare set up was quite attacking minded with 3-4 players remaining in our half and they killed us a few times with the player coming in on the loop to score in front of the posts

I thought there were a lot of average performances from Fenton, Andrews, Scully and Jack Mc's passing from both hand and foot was poor. I do like the more direct attacking that CK has brought to the game this season and I think overall there seems to be a gradual move back towards the style of football in 2013/2014 - of course the trade off being werre more open.

I'll take Bernards display in the twilight of his career as my outstanding memory of today

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

I thought Dublin were poor today. We lost midfield completely, until the black card, which gave Kildare a great launching platform. The defense was poor overall and a better team would have done a lot more damage. Andrews took the wrong option everytime too. That performance won't beat Monaghan or Tyrone but I was glad to see we weren't overjoyed with winning and just went through the motions at the end.

I was very surprised at Brogan though. He was very good and so was O'Callaghan but it'll be interesting to see how they do against better opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Kavrocks wrote: »
    I thought Dublin were poor today. We lost midfield completely, until the black card, which gave Kildare a great launching platform. The defense was poor overall and a better team would have done a lot more damage. Andrews took the wrong option everytime too. That performance won't beat Monaghan or Tyrone but I was glad to see we weren't overjoyed with winning and just went through the motions at the end.

I was very surprised at Brogan though. He was very good and so was O'Callaghan but it'll be interesting to see how they do against better opposition.

Poor and won by 9 with what seemed like alot to spare

Not a bad position to be in

• Advertisement

Kavrocks wrote: »

Looking beyond O'Callaghans scoring today his workrate in defence was immense too, seems better suited to the HF line which wasn't something I'd have thought

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I was thinking after ten minutes that is was a game for Bernard.

I wasn't surprised that we didn't see O'Gara today.

Kildare are a good side.

I don't like McCarthy in midfield either, he's by far the best centre back we have imo.

I thought Lowdnes was very impressive, he's getting better all the time he's tough too.

D Byrne was like a mad man when he came on, he wants his spot back.

O'Callaghan wont have it as easy later on , he makes scoring look effortless sometimes and it's a good sign.

A school day for Scully, unfortunately we've yet to see his ability register on the scoreboard as it did at underage.

Fenton was watched, didn't have a good game Imo. Philly was poor too.

Exposed at number 3 again.
    Kilkenny is playing with his old gusto again.

The half back line was in bits by half time, pushing McCarthy back a bit helped later on.
    Lowndes while very impressive did what I thought he'd do but we'd be caught out later on by him.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,758 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Apologies to the Wolfe Tones I re-wrote their Fourteen men (Ballad of Jimmy Keaveney)

Now - Twelve weeks off Dermo's Holliers (The Ballad of Diarmuid Connolly)

And there was fifteen on Connolly got twelve,
    Dermo on the sideline havin a gawk,
    Jim and the boys were working out a plan,
    How to beat the Lillywhites without the Vinnies man.

From Hill 16, what a sight to see
    With ‘the process’ in full flow
    They said f**k the CCCC
    Questions were being asked,
    Will Jim talk to RTE?

It was early in the game, Dublin should be proud,
    They put it in the net twice to quieten Kildare down,
    The dubs may come, and dubs may go,
    While history was made seven lenister's in a row.

Rock was given black,
    He walked off in the sun,
    But Con showed the way,
    And he was only twenty-one

Were with them when we win, were with them when we lose,
    Mayo and Kerry watch out for superblues,
    We won’t be easy beatin and never will we yield,
    As long as there's a man to kick the ball upon the field

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Stoner wrote: »
    I was thinking after ten minutes that is was a game for Bernard.

I wasn't surprised that we didn't see O'Gara today.

.. and yet the 1st few balls into Bernard were the type of ball that EOG would've relished, thought at the time that it was a strange decision to be playing that type of ball in if O'Gara wasn't on the end of them
    Kildare are a good side.

I thought they showed a bit of mental resolve today, previous years having conceded those early goals that match would've been like a day at the petting farm. The big question now is whether they can put a performance in 2 weeks - I think they will
    I don't like McCarthy in midfield either, he's by far the best centre back we have imo.

Yeah experiment over as far as I'm concerned - he's a far bigger asset running onto the breaking ball than being the one breaking it
    I thought Lowdnes was very impressive, he's getting better all the time he's tough too.

I'm yet to be convinced by Lowndes' defending - I think he's excellent in the initial contact but loses his way a bit with his footwork against intelligent forward movement - he's like most of the defenders a very good fulcrum in setting up attacking plays
    D Byrne was like a mad man when he came on, he wants his spot back.

He has his limitations, but in the nuts and bolts of defending he's a step ahead of Lowndes imo
    A school day for Scully, unfortunately we've yet to see his ability register on the scoreboard as it did at underage.

Yeah a poor day at the office - I'd question his physicality to defend against the bigger men - I think he was on Cribben today? if so he was exposed

• Registered Users Posts: 18,758 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

DoctaDee wrote: »

Yeah a poor day at the office - I'd question his physicality to defend against the bigger men - I think he was on Cribben today? if so he was exposed

Cribben is one of Kildare's better players in fairness to Scully. Very powerful and fast

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement

Cribben is one of Kildare's better players in fairness to Scully. Very powerful and fast

True he had a good game

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Today sealed their position as the greatest Dublin team of all time.

September hopefully will seal their reputation as the greatest team of all time.

We are privileged to have seen them..

• Registered Users Posts: 20,994 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

With that milestone achieved, the plan for world domination in hurling should now be revived.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Credit to Kildare for a good game of footie today. They offered a lot in attack and had the upper hand in midfield. Great work out for the lads, exactly what was needed.

Thoroughly enjoyed todays game, apart from Rocks really soft black card.

If the lillywhites keep this up we'll have a proper fight on our hands sooner rather than later.

Also a special mention to King Con who had a wonderful game.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Bonniedog wrote: »

September hopefully will seal their reputation as the greatest team of all time.

As the yanks would say ""Work Champions".

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 21,184 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

.. and yet the 1st few balls into Bernard were the type of ball that EOG would've relished, thought at the time that it was a strange decision to be playing that type of ball in if O'Gara wasn't on the end of them

Kildare came back into it right after Rock -> Brogan happened. You seemed to think that launching it into him was the way to go when you had been cutting through them for fun beforehand. That's not Brogan's fault though, he was a joy to watch after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,125 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

What actually happened for rock to get the black card? I was down in lower Cusack and didnt see a thing down hill end. Seemed to be no fuss made about any of it only for the fact i seen Brogan coming on i wouldn't of known a thing!.

PARlance wrote: »
    Kildare came back into it right after Rock -> Brogan happened. You seemed to think that launching it into him was the way to go when you had been cutting through them for fun beforehand. That's not Brogan's fault though, he was a joy to watch after that.

Yeah absolutely .. once Brogan started to get the ball in with him out in front of his man it was a different story - they played to his strengths from there on

What actually happened for rock to get the black card? I was down in lower Cusack and didnt see a thing down hill end. Seemed to be no fuss made about any of it only for the fact i seen Brogan coming on i wouldn't of known a thing!.

It happened right in front of me and I was none the wiser at the time .. seemingly after he was dispossessed and in the act of falling he tripped the Kildare defender with his hand ?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,184 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

It happened right in front of me and I was none the wiser at the time .. seemingly after he was dispossessed and in the act of falling he tripped the Kildare defender with his hand ?

Both men were on the ground. Rock "grabbed" / held his boot for a split second, as he was trying to get up. It was a little cynical but it wasn't a trip, you have to be standing up to be tripped.

• Advertisement

So it was a nothing decision like a lot of the other ones Dublin gave up threw out the day. The amount of extra yards that ref was giving on frees he was nearly off the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

McCarthy obviously thinks that being a ref is same a being a positive discrimination officer.

He was difference between Dublin winning by 9 and winning by 15/16.

All he was short of doing was checking his bet on the spread :-)

So it was a nothing decision like a lot of the other ones Dublin gave up threw out the day. The amount of extra yards that ref was giving on frees he was nearly off the pitch.

No he grabbed his leg, it was a fair call.
    Like most things with the black card it's the ones that aren't given

Stoner wrote: »
    No he grabbed his leg, it was a fair call.
    Like most things with the black card it's the ones that aren't given

Funny enough there was a later moment in the match where a Kildare player punched a Dublin lad in the back clearly visible for everyone to see he was on the ground for a while. Kildare then ran with the ball into Dublins half and where given a soft free which was then moved up a few yards which they scored from it turned out to be a regular thing.

Gas **** altogether!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Wrapped his arm around the kildare players foot

That said the Kildare lad was already going on his tit and I thought he fouled rock to get to the ball

Bambi wrote: »
    Wrapped his arm around the kildare players foot

That said the Kildare lad was already going on his tit and I thought he fouled rock to get to the ball

... And that was my initial reaction too - thought ref blew for a free in for the challenge on Rock

Still haven't seen the incident but will bow to the opinion of those that did

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

Bonniedog wrote: »

If Dublin will have won 8 All-Ireland titles including four in-a-row within 12 years and appeared in ten All-Ireland Finals then they will have matched the Golden Kerry team of the seventies and eighties. Since 2011 Dublin have failed to make the final in 2012 and 2014 so their hopes of equalling or beating that record is already under pressure.

There is no doubt Dublin are a great team and have benefited enormously from the incredibily unfair distribution of money by the GAA which has been pouring into the county for the last twelve years. Dublin will not be the greated team of all time and lets not get ahead of ourselves. Dublin is team of professional paid athletes in all but name, wheras the Kerry team of the golden years were a team of amateurs on a shoe-strong budget so not a fair comparison. Dublin have benefited from some incredibly erroneous refereeing, biased referees and double standards by the CCCC in relation to certain players disciplinary problems.

Dublin are the team of the decade from 2010-2019 already and that is already cemented with 4 titles and one back to back, Kerry are in second place with one title and three final appearances, next are Donegal with 1 win out of two final appearances and Cork in 4th position. Kerry would need to win the All-Ireland Final this year and complete three in-a-row from 2017-19 beating Dublin each year just to equal and better the record of Dublin's. Which would see each county on 4 titles but Kerry crowned team of the decade due to completing three in a row. However it seems more likely that Dublin will be the team to achieve three in a row and most certainly not Kerry which is why I award Dublin team of the decade since last September.

As for greatest team of all time, facts and records weigh heavily against Dublin in this regard but time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Doltanian wrote: »
    . Dublin is team of professional paid athletes in all but name, wheras the Kerry team of the golden years were a team of amateurs on a shoe-strong budget so not a fair comparison.

Hidden camera guy: "And would you be professional?"
    Colm Cooper: "Yeah, with Kerry you would"

:D

Doltanian wrote:
    As for greatest team of all time, facts and records weigh heavily against Dublin in this regard but time will tell.

Even though we beat teams on PEDs?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,343 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

It's no harm for the lads to have a game where the ref was consistently making decisions against Dublin, it'll set them up for the rest of the year.

Kildare acquitted themselves well though, there was plenty to be happy about for them. The two quick goals killed off the game, it was always going to be tough to close the gap meaningfully after that, and it seemed everyone knew it. A couple of years ago, those goals would have meant the Kildare lads would have started thinking about the journey home, but yesterday they stuck to it.

It was also great to see some of the younger generation come through. If Dublin's dominance is to continue, we need those players to start getting proper amounts of experience.

EDIT: Rock's black card was definitely a black card, they may have both been on the ground already, but the intent was to stop him from getting up and moving for the ball. It was an extremely silly black card to pick up for two reasons: we were so in control at that stage, and the only other players around with a chance of getting the ball were Kildare players.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement