Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,400 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

It shows you how the right mentality is so important in this game. How do you go 7 or 8 ahead and end up losing by the same amount in a final!

Embarrassing to be honest at any age group.

Yes seven or eight points up in a final to end up down by the same amount..... too many Hail Mary passes, coughing up possession again and again, just needed to scrap that formula and play it short and fast, draw fouls....now it is us coughing up scores galore AND cards of every color. They have the footballing ability but hmmmmm when things are not going their way...it’s a learning curve let’s say.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Not to take away from Cork because they were worthy winners but again that game showed how easy it is to influence the ref. The passage before the red was hilarious. Cork backs throwing themselves into tackles around the neck and getting away with it. Turnover. It gets worked down field, a Dublin lad touches a Cork player and gets sent off.

Be boisterous and moan like **** from the stands. It has an impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

corny wrote: »
    Not to take away from Cork because they were worthy winners but again that game showed how easy it is to influence the ref. The passage before the red was hilarious. Cork backs throwing themselves into tackles around the neck and getting away with it. Turnover. It gets worked down field, a Dublin lad touches a Cork player and gets sent off.

Be boisterous and moan like **** from the stands. It has an impact.

Definitely does. Some advantage the dubs have in croker every match.

Have to say they played the ref well. It was obviously a tactic discussed at half time...”we can either get fûcking hammered or we can go out, give it our all bend and break the rules and see where it gets us.” Referee was about 3/10 completely taken in but Dublin had naivety in spades to help with that.

They just needed to fûcking keep possession, instead of just going gung ho for scores, mind the ball, make Cork chase you, make THEM foul you, cost THEM cards and scores..

Instead Dublin were kicking Hail Mary balls from midfield into the forwards, running into cul de sacs of 3 Cork defenders. The Hail Marys were 50/50 win or loose...they are not the percentages you need when you have an 8 point lead...the only thing that can hurt you is that ball so don’t let them have it for fûcks sake. What advice was being metered out from the bench because it wasn’t being heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 spursfan111

The senior championship could do with a decent Cork football team....They are the second biggest county ffs.....Results across the board make it look like they finally might be getting their act together.....bout f**king time

• Advertisement

The senior championship could do with a decent Cork football team....They are the second biggest county ffs.....Results across the board make it look like they finally might be getting their act together.....bout f**king time

Second biggest county population wise but hurling is a dominant sport and rugby also big in the city and some towns.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 spursfan111

Second biggest county population wise but hurling is a dominant sport and rugby also big in the city and some towns.

KEITH RICKEN said the other day that there is more cork kids in GAA camps than all the the counties of Connaught combined.....Ye have more numbers than most.....Your excuses don't wash

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Antrim is actually the second biggest county population wise.

KEITH RICKEN said the other day that there is more cork kids in GAA camps than all the the counties of Connaught combined.....Ye have more numbers than most.....Your excuses don't wash

In Connacht they play one sport bar Galway so of course it makes a difference.

One thing that Dublin too didn’t do well in the last 25 minutes was show for one another. I don’t think I’d blame tiredness though. The player with the ball was too often isolated with maybe only one runner at best, one option who was gobbled up by defenders, when we were that far ahead what was going to maintain that advantage was hard work, teamwork... giving each other optionS, putting ourselves into scoring positions and accuracy in our passing and shooting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Can we not just ask for more money? We're clearly not using it very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

There’s plenty of soccer and rugby played in Connacht.

2015 figures showed Cork had 34,000 registered football players which was more than Galway and Mayo combined. Numbers certainly not the reason for the decline in Cork football over the last decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

ClanofLams wrote: »

Yeah, there's a big soccer scene in Mayo. Rugby wasn't so big in the past, but has grown massively.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Fair play to cork overall much the better team did not panic after poor start unlike us as the game turned we really took some really poor shot selections .

ClanofLams wrote: »

2015 figures showed Cork had 34,000 registered football players which was more than Galway and Mayo combined. Numbers certainly not the reason for the decline in Cork football over the last decade.

Don’t get me wrong Cork have underperformed in football and the county board who previously presided didn’t assist matters. Numbers don’t guarantee anything and a lot of registered football players also play hurling for their clubs. The days I believe of inter county players playing both at club level are at an end given the demands of the modern game. Con o Callaghan plays both to a high level but is part of a Dublin team mile ahead of everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Definitely does. Some advantage the dubs have in croker every match.

Touche. Although i haven't been to a Dublin Mayo game where the Mayo fans didn't make more noise. They had 75% of the support in the 2017 game. Dublin must be some team winning against the odds every time.;)

The chip on my shoulder comes from watching the Dublin hurlers get shafted every game because our support is always pretty small and never as fanatical.

Fair play to cork overall much the better team did not panic after poor start unlike us as the game turned we really took some really poor shot selections .

Yes it was decision making that killed us, just pure sloppy in the way we gave away possession and players although they put in mega effort overall, in terms of teamwork it just left an awful lot to be desired, players in possession left far too isolated, when they hit a wall of defenders it was either hit and hope or run into trouble.

Where the fûck were the guys making runs on the shoulders of the ball carrier ? Where were the coaching staff changing things, telling them not to just fûcking lump it away.

To blow a lead as they did, at home, can’t just be put on the players either. The ship looked to be well and truly sinking before the substitutions started.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

Those saying that Cork should be doing much better at football given our playing numbers are correct - our standards have dropped drastically. While we're in the super 8's, we've also been relegated to Div 3 next year. The truth is we're probably somewhere inbetween. Hopefully this can be start of a bit of a revival to at least put it up to Kerry in Munster every year and maybe even beat them every now and then.

The playing numbers argument is a good one, but doesn't tell the whole picture in Corks case. I'd wager that Cork produces more dual county minors and 21s than any other county. The vast majority of these choose hurling at senior level. Off the top of my head on our current senior hurling team, I can think of 4 players who have also played senior football championship for Cork in the past but then concentrated on hurling. I can think of another 2-3 who probably would be that standard of footballer too if they chose football.

I'm not saying all those players would still be starting for our senior footballers, but it's part of the reason why we haven't been challenging in recent years. Very similar to why Dublin hurlers haven't pushed on when most dual players are picking football.

On todays game, I'm delighted we won it - apart from our ladies it's been a long time since we've won any All Ireland. I've watched 3 of their games and they seem to play a good style of football too which is refreshing.

As an aside, I'm delighted Connolly is back on the Dubs panel. I can imagine the excitement in Croker if he gets brought on in a tight semi or final.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Not true
    Plenty of hutling clubs too
    Junior soccer is very big in Connacht

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Saw this Cork team a couple of times this year and they looked nailed on to win it, fair play to them

Anyway safe trip to anyone travelling.

My only concern is why is McCarthy starting. Himself and jack are the ones I'd rest.

For all the lads that came back, I thought young Gavin would get a run with Fenton

• Advertisement

Not true
    Plenty of hutling clubs too
    Junior soccer is very big in Connacht

I was referring to one gaa sport primarily. Yes I know they play hurling in Connacht outside of Galway but it’s on a very small scale compared to cork and it’s dual clubs

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Hitting the road in an hour.

Avoid the N2 lads. Emyvale is a sham.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Just An Opinion

Stoner wrote: »
    Saw this Cork team a couple of times this year and they looked nailed on to win it, fair play to them

Anyway safe trip to anyone travelling.

My only concern is why is McCarthy starting. Himself and jack are the ones I'd rest.

For all the lads that came back, I thought young Gavin would get a run with Fenton

I doubt McCarthy will start tbh, I could see McAuley playing a full game today with McCarthy replacing Fenton mid way through 2nd half.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,125 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Sunday world have O Gara down as injured? Haven't seen a thing about it anywhere else!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

I doubt McCarthy will start tbh, I could see McAuley playing a full game today with McCarthy replacing Fenton mid way through 2nd half.

McAuley has been playing out of his skin so far. I doubt they will give him the full 80 minutes, rather than have him raring to go next week. He is perfect foil for O'Shea.

Resting McCarthy makes sense after the injury, just to be on safe side. Hard to know with Fenton. He probably runs to Croke Park on match days from Raheny with his gear bag on his back :)

Bonniedog wrote: »
    McAuley has been playing out of his skin so far. I doubt they will give him the full 80 minutes, rather than have him raring to go next week. He is perfect foil for O'Shea.

Resting McCarthy makes sense after the injury, just to be on safe side. Hard to know with Fenton. He probably runs to Croke Park on match days from Raheny with his gear bag on his back :)

I still think next week Fenton/McCarthy starting with the high octane injection of McAuley 2/3rds into the game is our strongest approach from the middle. So, cautious with McCarthy’s recovery and holding Fenton back a bit today is my thinking behind McAuley playing a full game but could be totally wrong of course, either way I think it’s important we win today regardless of being already in the s/f.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Totally agree on need to win. It's the way they roll.

If teams start as named, be surprised if Dublin don't win by 6/7 and match over as contest by half time.

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Totally agree on need to win. It's the way they roll.

If teams start as named, be surprised if Dublin don't win by 6/7 and match over as contest by half time.

True, I’d be surprised if Tyrone go with the total change of 15, I know McCann and Hampsey would be starters next week they’re in today to get minutes but could see one or two more 1st choice forwards playing from the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,125 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Connelly starts!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Connolly certainly does start wearing 20.

Good stuff!

686 days. Too long.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement