Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Any idea what the attendance was today? It took a full hour to drive from Healy Park to the Enniskillen turn in the middle of the town. The Hill end looked great from the stand with all the blue. Party atmosphere but match was a non runner really.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Any idea what the attendance was today? It took a full hour to drive from Healy Park to the Enniskillen turn in the middle of the town. The Hill end looked great from the stand with all the blue. Party atmosphere but match was a non runner really.

15,315 according to papers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

Grandeeod wrote: »
    I'm not trolling and not worried. I have a bit of a sweat going, but that's the heat out there and the beers.:D It is merely an observation that I'd back up on the basis of Kerry's attempt at 5 in a row and Mayo's attempt at winning an AI. Kerry played 3 games to reach that five in a row final against Offaly. This year Mayo have played.....how many? Lost two and end up in a semi. The "system" has kept them in the chase. Win all your games and the "system" is irrelevant. Therefore if Mayo supporters are happy to win an AI, that way based on the "system" fair enough. But I believe it would and should hang over them. Perhaps I'm just a purist that believes winning an AI should be done unbeaten. Back door or not, it feels great to win all the way. I genuinely would love to see Mayo do it that way, if they are to finally do it.

Not so sure anything would hang over Mayo. Likewise even a great Tyrone team in 2005 and 2008 didn’t seem too haunted by earlier defeats. Nor were Kerry in 2006 or 2009 when they were beaten on the way to winning All Irelands. How many even remember that now?

Kilkenny have lost twice in this year’s hurling championship already but people will have their “Cody’s greatest achievement” cliche at the ready for the final whistle instead of suggesting that a proper undefeated run was a better achievement.

Of course you are right that in the case of Dublin, with the phenomenal amounts of begrudgery bubbling under the surface and the extraordinary record they have compiled, winning the fifth with an unblemished record matters a lot. But other teams have different circumstances. My one fear, and I don’t see it happening, would be Mayo beating Dublin and effectively winning the All Ireland for Kerry as Donegal did in 2014. I don’t see Tyrone having the scoring firepower to beat Kerry.

No mention of Connolly's black card on TSG?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

O'Gara really loves scoring goals against Tyrone. Every time he does, I flash back to 2010 and him absolutely smashing the ball into the net.

Still love him to bits for that goal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

CatInABox wrote:

He milled it, iconic moment that put this team on the map.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Grandeeod wrote: »
    I'm not trolling and not worried. I have a bit of a sweat going, but that's the heat out there and the beers.:D It is merely an observation that I'd back up on the basis of Kerry's attempt at 5 in a row and Mayo's attempt at winning an AI. Kerry played 3 games to reach that five in a row final against Offaly. This year Mayo have played.....how many? Lost two and end up in a semi. The "system" has kept them in the chase. Win all your games and the "system" is irrelevant. Therefore if Mayo supporters are happy to win an AI, that way based on the "system" fair enough. But I believe it would and should hang over them. Perhaps I'm just a purist that believes winning an AI should be done unbeaten. Back door or not, it feels great to win all the way. I genuinely would love to see Mayo do it that way, if they are to finally do it.

Ya but the system is what it is, whoever comes out on top at the end are champions and i can assure you, nobody in Mayo would care one iota that we lost 2 games if we were to win the AI. Via a convoluted system unparalleled in any sport around the world we're down to the last 4,lose now and you're out Bring it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,759 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

It just shows TSG peddle agendas.
    This one is to hype Connolly up.
    The highlights made it look like he had a great game.

But in reality he was anonymous for most of the game (floating around midfield) except for the only time he attempted to close down a Tyrone man - he then got a black card for it!
    The game was passing him by and he was just a virtual spectator for much of the game.
    A point and few flicks to teammates were the rest of it which were the only bits TSG focused on.
    If I was not at it I would have been codded by them, and believed TSG spin.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

CatInABox wrote: »
    O'Gara really loves scoring goals against Tyrone. Every time he does, I flash back to 2010 and him absolutely smashing the ball into the net.

Should have a fkn bridge over the Liffey named after him.

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Should have a fkn bridge over the Liffey named after him.

I think he is worst player on the panel to be honest - a very limited player, hot headed. A big awkward wholehearted lump.
    Amazed he is still hanging on - considering the strength of the squad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Spit it out there!

Even big awkward lumps have their place in the choir.

He shall always be remembered for THAT goal, and for putting Ricey on his bum, after years of lads being half afraid of him.

I think he is worst player on the panel to be honest - a very limited player, hot headed. A big awkward wholehearted lump. Amazed he is still hanging on - considering the strength of the squad.

Nobody on the panel can win the type of ball he can. His hand passed offloads are as good as anyone else, he very rarely puts a pass astray. His point attempts can be terrible, but he's good for a goal, takes no prisoners and bursts lads aside on his way to collect the ball.

Nobody has to run off his shoulder as he runs with his back to goal and gives very good passes to lads running in, giving them a fraction more time on the ball.

IMO he made a significant difference along with Brogan in putting some shape on the attack. He's pretty unselfish too.

He can be hot headed alright he's worth his place above McHugh imo.

Con O'Callaghan is probably doing a lot of what he used to and more, but I thought McManaman and Andrew's looked a bit headless with Costello today.

Other teams have to plan for O'Gara too. He was smart today along with Brogan after Connelly was carded.

While I'm at it, ROC looked off the pace today, but would be better with cooper to his right with McCarthy and John Small in front of him.

That lad from Cula, no 24 moved around well knew where to be.

Thought McDaid was off form, but McGowan was good.

By the way does did Omagh on Sunday finally kill the myth that the Dubs don't travel?
    Jayus, I barely made it for the throw in. Shocked how many Dubs were there.
    Programmes were gone by the time I got in - it was that late.
    Really impressive considering the likes of Oisin McConville seemed to be referring to it as a challenge game every chance he got on TSG.

The traffic was bedlam near the town - so had to go on a rat race down side roads following other Dublin cars bout 20k outside Omagh at about 3:15/3:30. It was like a mini car rally of Dub supporters - loose stones on the side roads flying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭MFPM

But in reality he was anonymous for most of the game (floating around midfield) except for the only time he attempted to close down a Tyrone man - he then got a black card for it!
    The game was passing him by and he was just a virtual spectator for much of the game.
    A point and few flicks to teammates were the rest of it which were the only bits TSG focused on.

TSG didn't have much discussion on the game at all because it was a non game. The Connolly story is inevitably going to feature given the game was a non event.

Your analysis of Connolly is a little one sided, the most important point missing from your analysis was the guy hasn't played IC footbal for almost over two years, the idea he wouldn't be rusty is absurd. He had a better game than McMenamon and Andrews and O'Carroll.

Not sure he did enough to feature in the 26 next week but I'd imagine he will.

Bugler, Comeford, had great games - Paddy Small was a little disappointing after the Roscommon game, Brogan looked sharp when he came on and I think he merits more game than Gavin has given him thus far.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭mcgragger

Didn't see the SG but the black card was cut and dried.

In fact my own take is that he did it on purpose to get into the dressing room before the pitch invasion at the end. It didnt look like he was getting subbed

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭mcgragger

His first game in a long time and he did ok. Didnt have to burst a lung.

Not sure he'll start any more this season.
    Id be surprised

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

mcgragger wrote: »
    His first game in a long time and he did ok. Didnt have to burst a lung.

Not sure he'll start any more this season.
    Id be surprised
    Leo Cullen was looking for his number

I think he is worst player on the panel to be honest - a very limited player, hot headed. A big awkward wholehearted lump.
    Amazed he is still hanging on - considering the strength of the squad.
    You need players like him and MacAuley. Not the most skilful but gives 100% when the chips are down and the flashy boys are gone missing

• Registered Users Posts: 25,400 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

A big plus too was Comerford...A lot of people the last couple years you’d hear them saying the likes of “ok what’s going to happen when Cluxton hangs up the boots ?”... almost a bit worried...ok I can get that sentiment because he’s let’s face it one of if not THE best keepers to have played the game and a leader too...hugely influential and a Mr Consistent... but with Comerford I think there is a ready made hugely talented kid ready to step in between the posts. Bags of talent and for such a young guy bags of maturity too...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Strumms wrote: »
    A big plus too was Comerford...A lot of people the last couple years you’d hear them saying the likes of “ok what’s going to happen when Cluxton hangs up the boots ?”... almost a bit worried...ok I can get that sentiment because he’s let’s face it one of if not THE best keepers to have played the game and a leader too...hugely influential and a Mr Consistent... but with Comerford I think there is a ready made hugely talented kid ready to step in between the posts. Bags of talent and for such a young guy bags of maturity too...

I hope he does step into the fold when Cluxton goes but yesterday wouldn't sway me in the slightest. There's a big difference between Tyrone seconds ambling about the place and the likes of Kerry pressing up hard on kickouts.

Also, not once did a Tyrone forward get to the flight of the ball when contesting with him. He always had the advantage and so looked commanding under the high ball. Does he win a 50-50 against a full forward who has time to set himself and contest? Not sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭munster87

Thought Bulger was impressive yesterday along with Comerford. Two with big futures ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Plus points were Bugler and Comerford, worried a it ROC, looked way off the pace and positioning was poor.

corny wrote: »
    I hope he does step into the fold when Cluxton goes but yesterday wouldn't sway me in the slightest. There's a big difference between Tyrone seconds ambling about the place and the likes of Kerry pressing up hard on kickouts.

Also, not once did a Tyrone forward get to the flight of the ball when contesting with him. He always had the advantage and so looked commanding under the high ball. Does he win a 50-50 against a full forward who has time to set himself and contest? Not sure.

Comerford has been slowly and steadily improving over the last few years the more I've seen of him. There was one league game in particular in Croker this year, I cannot recall which one, where he was spraying balls all over the park, near and far, equally as good as Cluxton.

The Cluxton influence was evident yesterday also with the quickness in Comerfords kickouts, and although a fair few were to Dublin players just outside the 20, when he kicked long they found their man on the Dublin half way line.

I'd certainly be confident now with him in goal when Stephen moves on. Btw, who was the other reserve gk Dublin brought with them yesterday? No mention of him in the programme.

Fann Linn wrote:
    Comerford has been slowly and steadily improving over the last few years the more I've seen of him. There was one league game in particular in Croker this year, I cannot recall which one, where he was spraying balls all over the park, near and far, equally as good as Cluxton.

He'd an issue with distance and another on the physical side.

Yesterday he kicked into the wind well, as cory said, he wasn't really tested on the physical side if things
    Closed down on some saves too, its here he looks like Cluxton in style imo, closing down lads, when he was younger Cluxton would nearly be lying on the lads feet when he turned to shoot.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭catrat12

Never posted on this thread before but a big gaa and hurling fan and a big dubs fan I get some league games in and most of the championship.

Dublin are by far the best team in country and dare I say ever with talent all over pitch and match winners everywhere and a great man at the helm

But I just feel it that mayo on the day are going to win just have that feeling
    I think it’s going to be a wet day and turn into a dog fight with o Connor not missing and everything going in there favour

Please god let me be wrong and that it’s a sunny day and we are never in trouble and win by 6 or 7 and go on and beat the kingdom in the final

catrat12 wrote: »
    I think it’s going to be a wet day and turn into a dog fight with o Connor not missing and everything going in there favour

Please god let me be wrong and that it’s a sunny day and we are never in trouble and win by 6 or 7 and go on and beat the kingdom in the final

Jayus, not only do you predict I will be going home cursing Mayo, I will be like a half drowned duck going home cursing Mayo :D

You will have me scrambling for the weather forecast on Friday.

catrat12 wrote: »
    Never posted on this thread before but a big gaa and hurling fan and a big dubs fan I get some league games in and most of the championship.

Dublin are by far the best team in country and dare I say ever with talent all over pitch and match winners everywhere and a great man at the helm

As Oddball said in 'Kelly's Heroes',
    ' Don't hit me with those negative waves so early in the morning'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭muddle84

What's the feeling among the fans to come across Mayo again on the drive for five? As a Mayo fan I'm anxious to see how far we are from the 17 final level and have a feeling that we will struggle to get close to Dublin. I'm hoping for something close to that as Dublin Mayo are the best games I've ever been to.
    Looking forward to another great day in hq!!!!

muddle84 wrote: »
    What's the feeling among the fans to come across Mayo again on the drive for five? As a Mayo fan I'm anxious to see how far we are from the 17 final level and have a feeling that we will struggle to get close to Dublin. I'm hoping for something close to that as Dublin Mayo are the best games I've ever been to.
    Looking forward to another great day in hq!!!!

I think it will be tense that is for sure. Physically Mayo with put it up to Dublin.
    But I always feel that the old Mayo habit of wides, dropping ball short into the opponent goalkeeper etc will suck the life out of them - it must be disheartening.
    They got away with it against Meath - I was at that one.
    Some of the wides/misses were awful.

• Advertisement

This is the last fling for a share of these Mayo lads. That could make them dangerous

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement