Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭yobr

Edgware wrote: »
    This is the last fling for a share of these Mayo lads. That could make them dangerous

This is the last fling for a share of these Dublin lads. That could make them dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Think mayo will give Dublin plenty they always put it up to us in croke park in the summer.The margins have been very tight in these games despite Dubs having what most think are the better team.Mayo have a habit of getting their match ups right and only need a couple of things to fall in their favour to get over the line.Obviously hope for a dubs win but I do think we are down a notch from a year or so and that makes it very hard to call IMO .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,759 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

This is the last fling for a share of these Mayo lads. That could make them dangerous

They should be gone years ago.
    I have no notion about how they keep coming back from being written off.

I was talking to a Mayo fan at the Meath game.
    Was wondering how he keeps going and how he is so fit.
    She said that he owns a gym or was it two gyms?
    And is a fitness instructor?

All those Mayo golden oldies seem to look after themselves as well.
    Otherwise they would not have survived as long as they have.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

They should be gone years ago.
    I have no notion about how they keep coming back from being written off.

I was talking to a Mayo fan at the Meath game.
    Was wondering how he keeps going and how he is so fit.
    She said that he owns a gym or was it two gyms?
    And is a fitness instructor?

All those Mayo golden oldies seem to look after themselves as well.
    Otherwise they would not have survived as long as they have.

Andy used to work for the Mayo Roscommon hospice which entailed long hours on the road,total lifestyle change with his involvement in the 2 gyms for the betterment of his family life and prolonging his career.

He's oft spoke about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,125 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

From what I've seen of Mayo this year heart and sheer determination has been main thing getting them threw.

There's been moments of quality play but with the constant injuries changing goal keepers ten plus wides every game.... I really don't think they are same team who pushed Dublin so close over the last few years.

Im sure Mayo and there fans will give Dublin something to think about on the day but I haven't seen anything from either side to really fear Mayo getting by Dublin.

I think Dublin would need to really **** up on the day. It will be no one else's fault but our own if we don't get to another final.

The only issue I've had this year was the space there giving teams to attack which I'm hoping is down to who we where playing and things won't be as open in the big games.

• Advertisement

yobr wrote: »
    This is the last fling for a share of these Dublin lads. That could make them dangerous.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Fancy Dublin to win with a bit to spare. Full respect to Mayo's battle hardened warriors but i feel this is the time Dublin will give Mayo a bit of a capital trimming. Dublin by 10+

Fancy Dublin to win with a bit to spare. Full respect to Mayo's battle hardened warriors but i feel this is the time Dublin will give Mayo a bit of a capital trimming. Dublin by 10+

Its what logic would dictate. However if we get some favorable decisions this time and a bit of luck and the forwards regain some composure it could be very close.

My worry would be the last 10 minutes, exhaustion could really kick in. One week off for a team that has played this many tough games is not enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Dublin 1/5 with bookies; 10/11 to win by more than 5.

They were never such strong favourites in previous championship meetings, which is probably and indication of where people think both teams are at now.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Dublin 1/5 with bookies; 10/11 to win by more than 5.

They were never such strong favourites in previous championship meetings, which is probably and indication of where people think both teams are at now.

Meaning we'll lose by 1

I'm dreading Saturday.

It's good to have the Championship back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Dublin going into a semi with no injury or suspension worries, everyone rested and chomping at the bit in full knowledge that if they don't perform they'll be hauled off asap. I think the bookies have it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Its what logic would dictate. However if we get some favorable decisions this time and a bit of luck and the forwards regain some composure it could be very close.

My worry would be the last 10 minutes, exhaustion could really kick in. One week off for a team that has played this many tough games is not enough.

It is a tall order, for sure. Dublins main men are rested and primed to ignite. Mayo will fight and die with their boots on as ever but i mustadmit i am very confident of a comfortable Dublin win and i rarely felt this way before against Mayo. All will be revealed next Saturday and i could have got this badly wrong but my gut instinct says Dublin by quite a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,125 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

No matter what situation both teams are in going into the game and I'm sure during the game I'll be bloody nervous!

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Gerianam

Aw shure, we will turn up anyway and have a run around. The kids love a trip to the big smoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

The attendance at the Dublin v Kerry ladies quarter-final is a depressing sight too see.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

muddle84 wrote: »
    What's the feeling among the fans to come across Mayo again on the drive for five? As a Mayo fan I'm anxious to see how far we are from the 17 final level and have a feeling that we will struggle to get close to Dublin. I'm hoping for something close to that as Dublin Mayo are the best games I've ever been to.
    Looking forward to another great day in hq!!!!

The game hinges on what Mayo do with their possession.

Lesser teams (Meath & Cork) have proven you can do well in general play against Dublin....sure Cork cleaned us out in midfield..... the problem for them was Dublin made that irrelevant because of their ability to make and take their chances when they got the ball.

Mayo have it in them to win lots of individual contests on the day and they'll last the duration of the battle. What i wouldn't be confident of is their attackers taking the right options every time. For example, Coen is an accurate kicker but his decision making and awareness are awful. He needs a day where everything goes over for him. They all do. Even then...Dublin would still win.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭rolling boh

It looks like only close family members were down in tullamore it looks terrible on TV no wonder they have give so many tickets away for the final shame really as all the women put a.lot of effort into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

They market the final very well and in fairness the LGFA does a lot of promotion and game is very popular across the country with younger girls. Far more so than camogie which is in a bit of a rut.

It just does not translate into big crowds. I love watching the Dubs women as they play a great brand of football but to be honest only ever went to games when daughter was younger. Strictly TV fan now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

muddle84 wrote:
    What's the feeling among the fans to come across Mayo again on the drive for five? As a Mayo fan I'm anxious to see how far we are from the 17 final level and have a feeling that we will struggle to get close to Dublin. I'm hoping for something close to that as Dublin Mayo are the best games I've ever been to. Looking forward to another great day in hq!!!!

Good man muddle.

Worst thing would be if you did a Donegal 2014, beat us and lose to Kerry without Dublin getting another crack at them.

That's my fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

I've absolutely no idea how to pronounce his name, but that lad Bugler is some talent. But most importantly he looks like he has brains. Was impressed with him off the ball too, made a lot of good runs. Big future.

Thought Dermo played very well, even though it was in the middle. His defensive game wasnt really tested, but a good option to have there. Controlled the game well i thought, and didnt look like he broke sweat. Like he was never away.. Be interesting to see what Jim does for the Mayo game, Horan will put Keegan down to man mark him if Jim throws a spanner or two and names him in starting 15 for the craic. Make them think.

Great that we could rest a few big names. All raredin to go next Saturday. Cant wait.

Dublin by 8+ :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Slattsy wrote: »
    I've absolutely no idea how to pronounce his name, but that lad Bugler is some talent.

It’s not exactly Grzegorz Brzęczyszczykiewicz

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭shockframe

corny wrote: »
    The game hinges on what Mayo do with their possession.

Lesser teams (Meath & Cork) have proven you can do well in general play against Dublin....sure Cork cleaned us out in midfield..... the problem for them was Dublin made that irrelevant because of their ability to make and take their chances when they got the ball.

Mayo have it in them to win lots of individual contests on the day and they'll last the duration of the battle. What i wouldn't be confident of is their attackers taking the right options every time. For example, Coen is an accurate kicker but his decision making and awareness are awful. He needs a day where everything goes over for him. They all do. Even then...Dublin would still win.;)

Coen reminds me of Conor Mortimer. Capable of the spectacular but just as likely to not make any impact on a game at all.

Good win for the Ladies, gave Kerry a bit of a spanking.

Great games for goals.

I've absolutely no idea how to pronounce his name, but that lad Bugler is some talent. But most importantly he looks like he has brains. Was impressed with him off the ball too, made a lot of good runs. Big future.

Thought Dermo played very well, even though it was in the middle. His defensive game wasnt really tested, but a good option to have there. Controlled the game well i thought, and didnt look like he broke sweat.

Bugler I agree on, but Connolly did feck all. I was seated near the half way line so he was floating around in front of me for most of the game.
    He might as well have been standing on the sideline for the majority of his time on the pitch.
    Didn't break a sweat is right!

Bug Ler

Like smuggler, but with a B

His father was a great club man, died recently.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/camogie/a-dream-that-runs-deep-in-the-genes-36116618.html

Stoner wrote: »
    Bug Ler

Like smuggler, but with a B

Feck it, I was calling him Bulger as in the Irish-American gangster - 'Whitey Bulger'.
    Realised I spelt it wrong in my previous post above too.

Feck it, I was calling him Bulger as in the Irish-American gangster - 'Whitey Bulger'. Realised I spelt it wrong in my previous post above too.

Ahh you are not alone, many think he's Declan Bolger's son too.

Good man muddle.

Worst thing would be if you did a Donegal 2014, beat us and lose to Kerry without Dublin getting another crack at them.

That's my fear.

Don't forget 06 as well - although in fairness, I think that Dublin team would have been beaten by Kerry anyway.

Ahh you are not alone, many think he's Declan Bolger's son too.

Having commentary on radio from RnG yesterday did not help things for me either.
    The commentator was funny fecker though the bits I could twig.
    At one stage I think he was going on about how Coney has a super tan, and he has never seen a tan like it! Jayus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Thought Dermo played very well, even though it was in the middle. His defensive game wasnt really tested, but a good option to have there. Controlled the game well i thought, and didnt look like he broke sweat.

Bugler I agree on, but Connolly did feck all. I was seated near the half way line so he was floating around in front of me for most of the game.
    He might as well have been standing on the sideline for the majority of his time on the pitch.
    Didn't break a sweat is right!

That's great to hear about Bugler, was at the Galway league game and he just couldn't get involved at all.

Looked a million miles from a Jim Gavin player. Hopefully he keeps kicking on

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement