Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

I thought Connolly did well too. It seemed to me that he was instructed to play diagonal ball into the inside forward line. It seemed like a deliberate tactical ploy, like the long ball into Conn O against Roscommon. Dublin didn't need him to hare around like a headless chicken.

I don't think he will feature against Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

I wish Jim Gavin would let me off this roundabout!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭Gael85

naughtb4 wrote: »
    That's great to hear about Bugler, was at the Galway league game and he just couldn't get involved at all.

Looked a million miles from a Jim Gavin player. Hopefully he keeps kicking on

Bugler done alright that night against Galway but did look a bit nervous. Kicked a point in first half. Will definitely push for place in half forward next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Rory O Carroll did himself no favours in breaking into the first team last Sunday. He was beaten for three early high balls and the last of which was particularly shoddy defending, letting the ball bounce over his head for a great Tyrone goal chance. He loooked off the pace.

Young Bugler was definately the pick of the bunch and seemed very comfortable on the ball, well able to kick off both feet and didn't give away sloppy possession. He looked more composed than MDMA who was like Bambi on Ice at times slipping and sliding all over the shop.

Bernard looked eager to get involved for his late cameo but was finding his fellow team mates a little slow to pass the ball to him. His movement was good and eventually he worked himself a goal chance but had to make do with just a white flag being raised.

Connolly strolled around for 70 minutes playing as a kind of quarterback around the middle who was creating lovely dink passes for the forwards. His skill was in evidence, albeit a little too infrequently, capped off with a sweet point that received the biggest roar of the day. Will we see him again this year?

Dubs march on. This Saturday it's time to watch the A Team. Can only see one winner. The drive for five is well alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

O'Carroll very poor, look quite immobile. Was caught under the ball a hape of times. As you said, done himself no favours. But hey, its gonna take some time for him to get back in the groove, he's not played for a few years, so maybe this is a year too soon for him. But good to have him back never the less.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Slattsy wrote: »
    O'Carroll very poor, look quite immobile. Was caught under the ball a hape of times. As you said, done himself no favours. But hey, its gonna take some time for him to get back in the groove, he's not played for a few years, so maybe this is a year too soon for him. But good to have him back never the less.

Agree with this. He seemed all at sea and really unsure as to what man to pick up which isn't exactly ideal for someone in his role.

Hopefully it'll stand to him as he's top class when on form.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,759 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Agree with this. He seemed all at sea and really unsure as to what man to pick up which isn't exactly ideal for someone in his role.

Hopefully it'll stand to him as he's top class when on form.

O'Carroll was huffing and puffing a bit as well.
    Not sure he is fit enough yet?
    Then again he actually tried to run around.
    And had to close fellas down unlike some other fellas who had little to do -
    but walk around/stand in the middle of the pitch and pick no one up for the entire game.
    At least he didn't get a black card.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,652 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

You'd have to say based on Sunday - if you were looking for a forward to come on with fifteen minutes to go to make an impact - Brogan would have to be in the mix, he was outstanding but also he looked really hungry - really trying to make an impact but also do the right things. O'Gara also in this category imho.

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    You'd have to say based on Sunday - if you were looking for a forward to come on with fifteen minutes to go to make an impact - Brogan would have to be in the mix, he was outstanding but also he looked really hungry - really trying to make an impact but also do the right things. O'Gara also in this category imho.

Yeah I thought he looked sharp, and pretty slim. While he has obviously lost a yard or two, bringing him on for 10/15 minutes, when defenders are really feeling the pinch, he'll still be able to do a serious job on any one.

Brogan was impressive alright.
    I would go as far to say he might have jumped ahead of another veteran in the pecking order - Kevin Mc.
    Super sub Berno?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

His positional sense is just impeccable. Hopefully he's out on Saturday. Same with O'Gara. He really just does a job and causes such chaos.

You know what the worst thing about playing Mayo is??

You see that clown David Brady everywhere.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

He's often exposed with a lot of space in front of him. Apart from Cluxton hes the only one from that era that can only play in one position.

He's needed McMahon and Cooper to whip in across him many times, he has often been exposed when dragged up the field a bit.

He's a great player within a system. Would do a decent job on M Murphy and Star etc, not one to mark a nippy forward imo

As posted by others he might he needed for T Walsh or if AOS is pushing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭C__MC

Definitely hope Dublin can more clinical in their tackling, I have been disappointed in their turnovers this season. Teams seem to be strolling up the pitch and getting chances.

C__MC wrote:
    Definitely hope Dublin can more clinical in their tackling, I have been disappointed in their turnovers this season. Teams seem to be strolling up the pitch and getting chances.

I agree, however a half forward line with
    Scully, Howard, Kilkenny and Mannion inside, they can all tackle.

I'm like a broken record at this stage but

I'd have McCarthy at 6, MDMA and Fenton in the middle.

Later on bring on Sullivan push McCarthy into midfield

MDMA starts for me, we cant be gooey down the middle with these guys.

McCarthy looked good at the weekend sometimes he breaks a full tackle and you'd miss it assuming it was just an arm in.

Its going to be a great game. The Mayo Dublin games are great contests.

I'm hopeful that O'Callaghan will shine, I still like that goal he rolled off the boot the last day.

I'll give naming my team a go now

Pretty predictable the only issue is no 3

I'd be very tempted to put the Munch on Moran.

Cluxton
    Cooper, Fitzsimmons, McMahon
    McCarthy, McCaffrey, J Small
    MDMA, Fenton
    Howard, Kilkenny, Scully
    Mannion, Rock, O'Callaghan

Subs
    O'Sullivan
    Brogan
    O'Gara
    Costello
    D Byrne
    Lowdnes
    Murchan
    Connelly

Dublin MOTM Kilkenny.

Scully might lose out to DC, hopefully not, Skully is switched on, underrated.

Maybe selecting the finishing team is the challenge

How can a fella that played inter county level, and was a decent player be such a bad analyst?

Still we will probably end up listening to him to see the guff he will come out with.
    So bad it is funny.

Stoner wrote: »
    Pretty predictable the only issue is no 3

I'd be very tempted to put the Munch on Moran.

Cluxton
    Cooper, Fitzsimmons, McMahon
    McCarty, McCaffrey, J Small
    MDMA, Fenton
    Howard, Kilkenny, Scully
    Mannion, Rock, O'Callaghan

Subs
    O'Sullivan
    Brogan
    O'Gara
    Costello
    D Byrne
    Lowdnes
    Murchan
    Connelly

Dublin MOTM Kilkenny.

Scully might lose out to DC, hopefully not, Skully is switched on, underrated.

Maybe selecting the finishing team is the challenge

No notion DC starts.
    Not in that cauldron with tackles flying.
    Would be a recipe for disaster.
    Brogan must be pushing for a start?
    I have no idea who I would leave out though.

My guess for the starting 15. Seeing as its a 'thing' now :)

Cluxton

Cooper / Fitzsimons / McMahon
    McCaffrey /O'Sullivan / Small

McCarthy / Fenton

Howard / Kilkenny / Scully
    Mannion / O'Callaghan / Rock

I think 90% of the team picks itself really.

Only major change to Stoners is that I've McCarthy in the middle, with Cian playing at 6... MDMA dropped to facilitate this. I think Gavin prefers MDMA coming on as sub. However I'd much prefer McCarthy back out myself.

Then you've the Rock / Costello debate. I don't think Cormac has taken his chance as well as he'd have hoped, and when Rock has come on as a sub he's shown more from play than I've seen from him, and he was also very good against Roscommon when he came back into the starting team. So Dean gets the nod.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

My guess for the starting 15. Seeing as its a 'thing' now :)

Cluxton

Cooper / Fitzsimons / McMahon
    McCaffrey /O'Sullivan / Small

McCarthy / Fenton

Howard / Kilkenny / Scully
    Mannion / O'Callaghan / Rock

I think 90% of the team picks itself really.

Only major change to Stoners is that I've McCarthy in the middle, with Cian playing at 6... MDMA dropped to facilitate this. I think Gavin prefers MDMA coming on as sub. However I'd much prefer McCarthy back out myself.

Then you've the Rock / Costello debate. I don't think Cormac has taken his chance as well as he'd have hoped, and when Rock has come on as a sub he's shown more from play than I've seen from him, and he was also very good against Roscommon when he came back into the starting team. So Dean gets the nod.

Yes, this would be my team. Good call.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Yes, this would be my team. Good call.

Thanks. Jim

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭MFPM

O'Carroll was huffing and puffing a bit as well.
    Not sure he is fit enough yet?
    Then again he actually tried to run around.
    And had to close fellas down unlike some other fellas who had little to do -
    but walk around/stand in the middle of the pitch and pick no one up for the entire game.

At least he didn't get a black card.

Let it go! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭muddle84

At least all of you only have to listen to him when the two teams meet. We're stuck with him all the time!!!

Supervalue near me had no paper to print tickets again today. I'm sick of them TBH. Then she told me she cant reserve them, can't buy them and print them later.

They reserved them for Mayo lads for the last replay who drove down to buy them. The concept of local shop is lost on those guys.

I'm in that shop every day and have never secured a ticket from them.

There was one yesterday that was held for someone, next day they tell you they don't reserve tickets.

Stoner wrote: »
    Supervalue near me had no paper to print tickets again today. I'm sick of them TBH. Then she told me she cant reserve them, can't buy them and print them later.

They reserved them for Mayo lads for the last replay who drove down to buy them. The concept of local shop is lost on those guys.

I'm in that shop every day and have never secured a ticket from them.

There was one yesterday that was held for someone, next day they tell you they don't reserve tickets.

I always found the whole buying tickets in SuperValu awkward.

I would like tickets for X match please
    Teller - I will be with you in a minute.
    After a while go over to other ticket till.

Young wan/young fella pressing buttons for ages something does not work, young wan/young fella cannot find the game listed.
    Finds the game listed more pressing of buttons.
    Problems with the system.
    Only to find that the tickets are sold out

Made the mistake one time of buying a ticket of game that was cancelled in Parnell.
    Jayus the hoops I had to go through to get a refund from Super Valu - plenty of pressing of buttons - even the manager was called.

Plus that would normally be for league games, God knows what it is like when it a big game,

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

There's generally one person in the shop that knows what they're doing with the tickets, but once you get someone else, all bets are off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

In fairness, I sometimes got tickets in the Super Valu that was on Aston Quay because it was more convenient to work for some games that didn't need me to use PP.

It was busy place and tickets must have been a hassle for the staff who had a queue of real shoppers behind ticket buyers who were taking up monitored scanning and till times!

Obviously it is part of deal with the Musgrave group for sponsorship. Wonder do they get a cut of the price?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Starting to get nervous.

Has a bit of a 'final' feel to it...

Nerves are for tyres.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

BKWDR wrote: »
    Starting to get nervous.

Snowflake.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement