Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Slattsy wrote: »
    There's ****ing rugby on in the pub. Can this day get any worse!?

Oh..

ProudDUB wrote: »
    We're a rugby country now. Apparently. Did you not get the memo on that?

Would ye pair stop. I'll get that lad McHugh back onto ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Jesus, yer senses of humour go AWOL when yer nerves are scuttered, don't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Didn't enjoy that first half. Wind is mental high up on hill....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

One more push lads,just one more. Time for the bunting :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,125 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

What a first ten minutes in that second half haven't seen anything like it in long time!

Ill admit I needed a quick prayer in jacks at half time was feeling like one those days!!

This team just does its thing they put head down and play there game.

Mannion kicked some great scores Con was on another level!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Gavin is a tactical genius sending out 15 different people in the second half.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Did that really happen?

Jesus H Christ !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭muddle84

Ah well at least the coddle was good! Well done, no stopping this team. Hope ye go on and do the same to whoever ye meet in the final. No arguing best team to ever play the game!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Worst fears came to pass.

Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,710 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I think we need to split Co Mayo in to two teams.

• Advertisement

Mayo really gave it to Dublin in that first half.

I'm not gonna go into main All Ireland thread and feed off the usual **** but I think Mayo gave Dublin a half and they had no control over what happened in that second half.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

seligehgit wrote: »
    Worst fears came to pass.

Well done.

What the hell happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

That was the second half of champions. Wonderful to be at the game to witness unbelievable football like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭PressRun

Congrats lads. Better team won. A serious outfit with a wealth of talent and a very impressive management that handle the personalities well and drill the team expertly. I genuinely hope ye do the 5 in a row. Best team and management I've seen in my lifetime and if anyone deserves it, it's this team. Will love our Mayo group forever and have loved the days out we've had, feels like the end of an era for us, but many of those days out have been shared with great Dublin fans too. Wasn't to be this decade but sure we'll try and go again and maybe we'll come out the right side of it some day.
    Best of luck for the final!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Don't want to rub it in...

But.... Is there a better sight than when this team decides to move through the gears? We literally went from 2nd gear to 6th in a half speed, and knocked any hope out of Mayo within 6 minutes. We killed them there and then. Their confidence was gone. The game was over. We then cruised. All very easy.

The only concern is how bad and off the pace we can be early on in games. Say If Kerry got a run on us and we went 6/7 points up at half time. ... Drama! We'll need to address that. I thought we were too Conservative. Almost too confident. Hopefully a lesson learned.

Cillian O'Connor showing his true colours was also glorious. Great to see. hopefully we never see the likes of him again in Croker for a while.

But.... Is there a better sight than when this team decides to move through the gears? We literally went from 2nd gear to 6th in a half speed, and knocked any hope out of Mayo within 6 minutes. We killed them there and then. Their confidence was gone. The game was over. We then cruised. All very easy.

The only concern is how bad and off the pace we can be early on in games. Say If Kerry got a run on us and we went 6/7 points up at half time. ... Drama! We'll need to address that. I thought we were too Conservative. Almost too confident. Hopefully a lesson learned.

Cillian O'Connor showing his true colours was also glorious. Great to see. hopefully we never see the likes of him again in Croker for a while.

Top scoring player in gaa my arse!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Top scoring player in gaa my arse!

But he is?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Fantastic seccond half. I thought Davy Byrne and J Cooper were rock solid at the back. Fenton the lord of the skies. Mannion the magician and King Con the tormentor in chief were my men of the match. Simply powerful destruction of a pretty hapless Mayo in the second half.

My prediction yesterday was Dublin 2-17 v Mayo 1-10. Pretty bang on and i won a nice few bob on the -5 handicap.

Lovely 3 week build up to GAA immortality. These really are the Rare Old Times in the capital. The best days of our lives. Simply fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭muddle84

Really hoped Cillian had left that ****e behind. Really disappointing to see that.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

And his brother stamping on a player he'd just fouled. Game was over at that stage, filth for its own sake

It's why I never had any time for this Mayo team outside of guys like Parsons and Moran

• Advertisement

But he is?

I know he is but how many times has he gone missing when needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Delighted with that. Was hoping Cons conditioning would show today. He was electric. Like the job the Munch did watching Keegan coming up the field.

Mayo certainly gave it a go. Fair play to the Mayo lads wishing us well here.

They are fantastic supporters. Booed every Dublin wide with the best of them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

That has to be a plan though. You can't be complacent, flip a switch and produce the type of aggression Dublin showed in the second half. At least i don't think you can. The malaise normally lingers.

Our forwards stood still in the first half, we didn't work to get to the man in possession , etc... i was worried we weren't up for the battle. Then i blinked and the game was over.

I think we've a good feel for pacing ourselves and knowing whats required over the 70. We knew Mayo would pressure us high up the pitch and work hard to get the ball back. Thats their game but there's a cost for that and its a high cost when you see what Dublin energy can do to the scoreboard. Without being patronising i think Gavin thought let them work hard, we'll funnel back, limit the damage and unleash fury when it matters. Went too well because they had time to go back into their shell late on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Have huge respect for Mayo and their fans but COC is a tool.
    These pints are sure sweet. Roll on the final.
    Who wants who??
    Think I want Kerry

Mayo got a bit ratty towards the end. Con got a bad elbow into the mid riff off a Mayo sub. Really should have been a red card but not sure if he even got a yellow. Good to see the wise head of Jayo Sherlock on field calming McCarthy down after Keegan was in his face late on. More good management.

My player ratings
    1 Cluxton 7/10
    2 Byrne 8/10
    3 Cooper 8/10
    4 Fitzimmons 5/10
    5 Small 5/10
    6 McCarthy 6/10
    7 McCaffrey 6/10
    8 Fenton 9/10
    9 MDMA 7/10
    10 Scully 6/10
    11 Kilkenny 7/10
    12 Howard 7/10
    13 Mannion 9/10
    14 Rock 8/10
    15 Con 9/10

Man of the match P Mannion.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Delighted for Con, he had a difficult second year in the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭PressRun

CatInABox wrote: »
    Delighted for Con, he had a difficult second year in the team.

Terrific player

My player ratings
    1 Cluxton 7/10
    2 Byrne 8/10
    3 Cooper 8/10
    4 Fitzimmons 5/10
    5 Small 5/10
    6 McCarthy 6/10
    7 McCaffrey 6/10
    8 Fenton 9/10
    9 MDMA 7/10