Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

What edged Mannion ahead of con for u?

Very close call to be fair but Con struggled a bit in first half when Mannion still chipped in with two points to keep the bare looking scoreboard ticking over. Mannions three second half points were outrageous. Pure class. Con's goals were a thing of beauty. Toss of a coin really but by a whisker Mannion gets the gong.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Very close call to be fair but Con struggled a bit in first half when Mannion still chipped in with two points to keep the bare looking scoreboard ticking over. Mannions three second half points were outrageous. Pure class. Con's goals were a thing of beauty. Toss of a coin really but by a whisker Mannion gets the gong.

What makes you think he struggled?

corny wrote: »
    What makes you think he struggled?

He got bottled up a few times and lost possession. Granted Mayo were quite good at negating Dublins scoring threat in first half. We struggled a bit and scores were hard to come by. Especially from play.

He got bottled up a few times and lost possession. Granted Mayo were quite good at negating Dublins scoring threat in first half. We struggled a bit and scores were hard to come by. Especially from play.

Did he? Must have missed that. Every time he got the ball he beat Keegan as far as i could see. Why he wasn't prominent in the first half had more to do with Dublin not kicking the ball in and the slow build up for me. Even then he did create a good goal chance in the first half.

Not that i'd put you off naming Mannion MOTM though. Brilliant performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Watching it back again and Mannion was another level. His scores in the second half were ridiculous. His first after the break was the score of the game.

A word for Brian Howard though. In the first half when Dublin were struggling to get a foothold he continually stepped up, taking the game to Mayo and driving upfield. He scored one critical point when Dublin players seemed to be at a loss as to where the next score was coming from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

corny wrote:
    I think we've a good feel for pacing ourselves and knowing whats required over the 70. We knew Mayo would pressure us high up the pitch and work hard to get the ball back. Thats their game but there's a cost for that and its a high cost when you see what Dublin energy can do to the scoreboard. Without being patronising i think Gavin thought let them work hard, we'll funnel back, limit the damage and unleash fury when it matters. Went too well because they had time to go back into their shell late on.

I thought it was well paced and played.

As they did with Donegal Mayo lashed into it to the get go and didn't sustain it for the second half.

However unlike Donegal thankfully the Dublin forwards kept their heads and went for it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Philly has really played himself out of the team in my opinion. Didn't seem great when he came on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Enjoyed that. Don't think I ever saw such a rapid swing in a football game before.

Mayo died with their boots on but once Dublin got a lead they were never going to catch them.

First half was classic Mayo v Dublin. Closing players down, turning the ball over and forcing Dublin forwards into making hasty and often poor decisions.

I suppose it was an indication in end that Dublin have improved since the classic encounters, while they have not.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,125 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

For me personally I felt con wasn't involved as much in first half because the passes where not there.

It was so tight he didn't get much of ball but what he did get he made most of it.

I can't fault either of them Mannion and Con are two of best forwards in country very few if any come close to there ability.

For me what pushs con ahead is his strength on ball and his ability to break free for goals. Mannion is more of point scorer Con gets you these game breaking goals.

Both of them work incredibly hard I just think Con positinaly has more to do and decides game more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

This Dublin team and period of dominance definitely puts you guys up there as best ever. 5 in a row seems only a matter of time and it could easily be 6/7......it’s all about keeping them motivated and bringing in the odd 2/3 new players each season which Gavin has been able to do. The KY Jelly lads may do something in the next 2/3 year they are going for 6 in a row minors but doesn’t look like they will translate all those minute into seniors.....cork already got an u20 title this season despite the KY underage dominance.

The first 15 mins of that second half today saw Dublin just up their gears and they simply blew Mayo out of the water. Was incredible to watch.....finally that KY team of the 70/80’s with ‘pit Spillane’ etc that all the auld lads ****e on about has definitely been surpassed.

Could we see Dublin spit into four different areas along the boundaries of the co co’s ie Fingal, south Dublin, dun laoighaire rathdown and Dublin city.......??

• Advertisement

Road-Hog wrote:
    Could we see Dublin spit into four different areas along the boundaries of the co co’s ie Fingal, south Dublin, dun laoighaire rathdown and Dublin city.......??

We could, there's a bunch of threads about it already, have a gander there.

Anyway back to the game today.

I wonder if we will see Brogan again ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,125 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Stoner wrote: »
    We could, there's a bunch of threads about it already, have a gander there.

Anyway back to the game today.

I wonder if we will see Brogan again ?

I hope he's on bench for final along with O Gara.

I hope he's on bench for final along with O Gara.

Who from todays 26 will lose out for Brogan, O Gara or ROC to get back in? Unless there's an injury or Brogan is shooting the lights out every night on the likes of Byrne or Cooper then it could be the end of the road for him butwhat a road paved in gold it has been.

Who from todays 26 will lose out for Brogan, O Gara or ROC to get back in? Unless there's an injury or Brogan is shooting the lights out every night on the likes of Byrne or Cooper then it could be the end of the road for him butwhat a road paved in gold it has been.

Bugler?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Kh1993

You’d think that team would start the final bar maybe one change. I think John Small could be looking over his shoulder.

Other than the electric attacking, one moment I loved was, deep in the second half, a Mayo forward started winding Cooper up, Cooper gave him a bit back, but COS came over shouted at Cooper and that was the end of that. Experience.

CatInABox wrote: »
    Philly has really played himself out of the team in my opinion. Didn't seem great when he came on.

Especially when you consider how Murchan and COS acquitted themselves in their cameos.

Did anyone else think Niall Scully played like a man looking over his shoulder for his place?

corny wrote:
    Did anyone else think Niall Scully played like a man looking over his shoulder for his place?

He did, but he was doing an ok job picking up Keegan when he ventured forward.
    The Munch was straight in. I guessed he'd be on when Moran came on. If Moran started a game I would seriously consider putting him on him.

There was some good blocking today.

I thought Mayo starting Vaughan was a mistake, although Mayo had been flat in part this year, many had good games, but I thought Vaughan has been off the boil all year. It used up a sub for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,162 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Delighted with that result. Due to work, I'm only sitting down to watch it now with beers in hand. Will be like watching a great film even though you know the ending.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,759 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Delighted with that result. Due to work, I'm only sitting down to watch it now with beers in hand. Will be like watching a great film even though you know the ending.:D

That Green and Red ship sinks in the end, it hit a blue iceberg.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Ken Tucky wrote:
    Have huge respect for Mayo and their fans but COC is a tool. These pints are sure sweet. Roll on the final. Who wants who?? Think I want Kerry

Was reasonably handy to pick up tickets around the ground last year, don't think that would be the case with Kerry so I'm hoping for Tyrone again.

• Advertisement

.G. wrote: »
    Was reasonably handy to pick up tickets around the ground last year, don't think that would be the case with Kerry so I'm hoping for Tyrone again.

Tyrone v Dublin final would be terrible for neutrals - almost a definite five in a row

A Dublin v Kerry final would have an element of doubt given Kerry's forwards.

Oh, Kerry.

Giving them a proper hiding and taking their place in the history books.

Perfect.

Will still be shouting for Tyrone tomorrow. won't be able to help myself :-)

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Oh, Kerry.

Giving them a proper hiding and taking their place in the history books.

Perfect.

Will still be shouting for Tyrone tomorrow. won't be able to help myself :-)

That's gas I feel exactly the same way.
    I think Dublin would steamroll Tyrone - better chance of the five in a row.
    Kerry might beat Dublin - feels like there is a a chance of it.

To lose to Kerry as I said a few times would sicken me no end.
    But alternatively to beat Kerry in a final would be THE way to win the five in a row.
    With all thier history etc of thier great 80's side and failed five in a row it would be really special
    Plus it would be a decade after Kerry destroyed Gilroy's 'startled earwigs'.
    It would be like going full circle

Then this Dublin team would unquestionabley go down as the greatest team of all time, especially if they beat Kerry in final.
    Unbeaten no back door ever - even Micko would have to say OK fair enough.

I have to admit it leaves me really conflicted of who I would like Dublin to face in the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

That's gas I feel exactly the same way.
    I think Dublin would steamroll Tyrone - better chance of the five in a row.
    Kerry might beat Dublin - feels like there is a a chance of it.

To lose to Kerry as I said a few times would sicken me no end.
    But alternatively to beat Kerry in a final would be THE way to win the five in a row.
    With all thier history etc of thier great 80's side and failed five in a row it would be really special
    Plus it would be a decade after Kerry destroyed Gilroy's 'startled earwigs'.
    It would be like going full circle

Then this Dublin team would unquestionabley go down as the greatest team of all time, especially if they beat Kerry in final.
    Unbeaten no back door ever - even Micko would have to say OK fair enough.

I have to admit it leaves me really conflicted of who I would like Dublin to face in the final.

I’m not conflicted at all, I’d love kerry in the final. If you want to be the greatest team of all time do it against the team you fear the most and no better way to purge the pain of being on the wrong end of Tyrone and Kerry in the 00s by beating the winner of their semi final.

How satisfying would it be thumping Tyrone? That would make this season a bit of a joke. Your toughest rivals always make the success the more sweeter and ultimately make your legacy even more endearing .....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Top o the morning to everyone.

I'll rewatch the match soon with a coffee and a scone and see what I missed.

Really hoping for a Kerry win today. I know what will kill bonnie but sure look, I want them in the final and to beat them well. I also think it's good for the neutrals!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Couldn’t watch that first half but wanted to see what they said at Ht and watch 2nd half Forgot how obnoxious Brokly can be!!!

- Cluxton save on 36 mins was massive, made big difference between Mayo goal and Dublin goal

-the level of intensity from Dublin from the off in second half was remarkable in comparison to first half. Nothing to do with Mayo or fatigue. Maybe had this happened on 60th min you could say that, this was just a top team clicking up gears

- For awhile , at the game, it reminded me of 2006 when Dublin had a huge devastating 10 Mins against Mayo. After a horrible 90s and 00s as a Dub fan this is just a joy to watch

- some of the points were unbelievable

- I would love to of heard HT teamtalk

- some Mayo play was filthy, Won’t pick out individuals but I know if roles were reversed there would be riots (Diarmuid Connolly waving)

- this could be similar to 2011 Donegal game , certainly the first half reminded me of it. In short , Dublin really needed that first half to help them get up to a high standard for the final

-We really shouldn’t fear anybody after this game

- Mayo started going for goals way too early

- it’s a shame this was prob Dublin’s first real test this championship

- good to see Rilo still Physio with Dublin. Played with him at intermediate last season, haven’t played this year cause I think my time might be up :(

- I love few things more then sitting down in Crocker after a big Dublin win as the place clears out. It’s so relaxing and you can breath in the sweetness San Diego

My dad died three years ago, I really miss going to the games with him. Our home phone was broken that year and it mistakenly recorded some conversations. I used to phone my dad during league games to give him updates as he didn’t have setanta. One of the calls I still have recorded and it’s dad and me talking about what a great time it is to be a Fan of Dublin. He said there’s a few all Ireland’s in this team. Always reminds me that we have to enjoy this while it lasts, every team has its period of dominance.

I don’t come here much and I’m glad I don’t considering some of the bitter toxic stuff written about Dublin. We’ve had decades of savage disappointment and less then 10 years ago were even worse then Mayo in terms of being serial losers. The best thing that could happen to the sport is that other teams get their own sh*t together and catch up with Dublin , not to handicap Dublin. A lot of some counties issues are not resources , it’s utilization of resources. Some counties (Meath comes to mind) are just terribly run. I was chatting with Mossie last week and he was singing the praises of Costello. Dublin’s success today is the result of a long term structure from youth up that took over a decade to come to fruition. Other county fans need to look at their own counties and ask how they are using their resources instead of trying to drag Dublin back down for using theirs.

Stay away from the football championship threat Drumpot!

The haters are having a Sunday brunch of fear and loathing.

Ah it's glorious reading. Sunday morning and lads crying into their cornflakes over it. Imagine being like that. Cringe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Kerry have a motivating factor no other county has, stopping Dublin doing 5 in a row will mean the world to them. They have never done it. That is a dangerous motivation to have.

• Advertisement

jon1981 wrote: »
    Kerry have a motivating factor no other county has, stopping Dublin doing 5 in a row will mean the world to them. They have never done it. That is a dangerous motivation to have.

Yeah it's definitely a motivating factor for them alright. Could be a corker.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement