Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Drumpot wrote:
    My dad died three years ago, I really miss going to the games with him.

Sorry to hear that Drumpot. I stopped going to games for period of time after my father passed on.

I still remember his pep talk after the 1992 final defeat.

Anyway I'm the daddy now, such is life, the gra returns eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Stoner wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that Drumpot. I stopped going to games for period of time after my father passed on.

I still remember his pep talk after the 1992 final defeat.

Anyway I'm the daddy now, such is life, the gra returns eventually.

I met a friend (not planned) on way to game yesterday and we spoke about that. I was carried over a turnstile in that 92 final and remember it fondly even if it was a disappointment, it was my first final.

After the game yesterday as I was driving home I really missed phoning my dad or meeting up with him after the game. My children haven’t shown much interest in sport yet but maybe they will be a late bloomer like me. I wasn’t into sport until I was 12!

Edit: was interesting listening to O Rourke talk about Dublin’s players not having egos, it was probably one of our biggest problems until Gilroy knocked that out of them. Remember him dropping Alan brogan who suffered badly from it until Gilroy put some manners on him.

Bonniedog wrote:
    Stay away from the football championship threat Drumpot!

I think you unearthed the MayoJonah, Bonniedog.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Well done on the win.

Im curious did anyone else notice ocallaghan getting sick in the sideline after the collision with hennelly? I was surprised they put him back on as the game was over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

Any word on Mannion's injury yesterday? Limped off and looked like maybe lower leg (ankle/calf maybe). Some cracking points from him yesterday so hope it's nothing that keeps him out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Well done on the win.

Im curious did anyone else notice ocallaghan getting sick in the sideline after the collision with hennelly? I was surprised they put him back on as the game was over.

He was sick he missed out on the hat trick!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Someone told me they saw Mannion hobbling after the game, but unassisted by crutch and no mad appendages so nothing serious. Touch wood. He was brilliant yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,759 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I rewatched the 35th to the 46th minute last night.
    Rewatched it this morning.
    It was still amazingeing it again so much happened in it.
    From Cluxton to Dean Rock they all switched on right lads f**k this let's go.
    90 mile an hour stuff.
    Mayo were like a dazed boxer after a volley of punches, anything else they did was just trying to stay in it - stay standing.

If Dublin do win a five in a row the only problem will be how will they fit all the highlights in it - will have to be a double/treble DVD

I was thinking as well there is definitely a documentary/film to be made of it especially if the Final is against Kerry - win/lose.

The beginning -
    The spark can start with Heffo in 1958 winning AI as a player-
    mixed with kerry v Dublin 70's 80's
    Galway 83
    Meath-Dublin four in a row saga
    Ulster teams v Dublin in the 90's-95

famine years 96-10 -
    The Startled earwigs 2009
    Mulligan's goal for Tyrone 2005
    Maurice Fitz's point in Thurles,
    McDonald 2006
    Cossi hitting the post 2002
    Dublin losing to Laois, Westmeath, and Kildare all that stuff.

The glory years 2011 to now -
    The Mayo recent saga's
    Kerry semi 2013
    And beating Kerry hopefully three times/tyrone twice in finals

Ewan McKenna would buy it anyway! :D

All that stuff is in my head not in chronological order for some reason!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

I rewatched the 35th to the 46th minute last night.
    Rewatched it this morning.
    It was still amazingeing it again so much happened in it.
    From Cluxton to Dean Rock they all switched on right lads f**k this let's go.
    90 mile an hour stuff.
    Mayo were like a dazed boxer after a volley of punches, anything else they did was just trying to stay in it - stay standing.

If Dublin do win a five in a row the only problem will be how will they fit all the highlights in it - will have to be a double/treble DVD

I was thinking as well there is definitely a documentary/film to be made of it especially if the Final is against Kerry - win/lose
    Can start with Heffo in 1958, until now mixed with kerry v Dublin 70's 80's, Meath-Dublin four in a row, Ulster teams v Dublin in the 90's-95, famine years 96-10 - The Startled earwigs, Mulligan's goal for Tyrone, Maurice Fitz's point in Thurles, McDonald 2006, Cossi hitting the post 2002, Dublin losing to Laois, Westmeath, and Kildare all that stuff. The glory years 2011 to now - the Mayo saga's beating Kerry hopefully three times/tyrone twice in finals
    Ewan McKenna would buy it anyway! :D

All that stuff is in my head not in chronological order for some reason!

Ewan McKenna should be given a short sentence in Mountjoy for crimes to journalism and inciting hatred against us Dubs. Put him in Room 101 where he will meet his greatest fear ; the 5 in a Row Christmas DVD on re run 24/7. A slow and agonising demise for the propoganda queen of the beaten and the dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,066 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Slattsy wrote: »
    Top o the morning to everyone.

I'll rewatch the match soon with a coffee and a scone and see what I missed.

Really hoping for a Kerry win today. I know what will kill bonnie but sure look, I want them in the final and to beat them well. I also think it's good for the neutrals!

Don't make me tap the sign.

The lads in the blue coats will be around to see ya soon.

• Advertisement

Obviously beating Them out the gate to win the Fifth would be beyond incredible, BUT I can't stomach them in a final. They're too close for me to be comfortable.

So Tyrone for me instead!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Obviously beating Them out the gate to win the Fifth would be beyond incredible, BUT I can't stomach them in a final. They're too close for me to be comfortable.

So Tyrone for me instead!

I love your 'hate'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

He was sick he missed out on the hat trick!

I was thinking more along the lines of concussion... Doctor has case to answer over it Id say.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    I love your 'hate'.

It's beyond hate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Ewan McKenna should be given a short sentence in Mountjoy for crimes to journalism and inciting hatred against us Dubs. Put him in Room 101 where he will meet his greatest fear ; the 5 in a Row Christmas DVD on re run 24/7. A slow and agonising demise for the propoganda queen of the beaten and the dead.

I always see people claim that his wrong but I have never seen it properly debunked.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

I always see people claim that his wrong but I have never seen it properly debunked.

He’s a professional crank, contrarian, and clickbait whore. The less oxygen his opinions get the better IMO. Unfortunately he gets rolled out on a number of media outlets for his “insights” but is never held accountable for some of the outright guff he spouts.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Good Morning Vietnaaaaaaaaaam !

Love the smell of Mayo naplam in the morning.

Everyone's asking me if I'm sick, such, is the hoarseness of the voice after yesterday, those 12 minutes rightly buggered the vocal cords. But as a very wise man once said ahshurelookit.....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 27,888 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I was thinking more along the lines of concussion... Doctor has case to answer over it Id say.

Don't think so myself, his contribution to the third goal showed he wasn't concussed.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,888 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Really enjoyed the game yesterday and the few scoops afterwards.

Always feel that scoring into the Hill is more difficult on a windy day, and so it proved yesterday. Wasn't really worried at half-time as a result.

O'Callaghan, Mannion, Kilkenny (three assists for goals?), Fenton were magnificent in that second half. Thought MacAuley put in a great shift of work while on the pitch. That 11 minutes will be watched time and again.

The O'Connor brothers were at it again, Cillian getting a deserved red card, and Diarmuid funnily enough being the player holding his head when both Fenton and MacAuley being booked, despite no knock to his head. At 1-11 to 0-8 Cillian had a pressure free from a simple enough angle to stop the rot and missed. Proved everything about the Mayo mentality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Going to be some final. Not too impressed with Kerry TBH.
    But you never know...
    Tommy Walsh changed this game for them.
    Don't know if his influence would work on us though.
    Ah feck it. It's the game we all want...you know it is
    It's done now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,125 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Well I'm looking forward to this now! Think it's ultimate way for us to win 5 in row against Kerry.

I think Kerrys defence will cost them they got off the hook there today with Tyrone falling apart a bit in second half.

How will Kerry setup I wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Kerry it is. Bring it on!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭rolling boh

The team i would most enjoy beating but the team i would really hate to lose to though .hope and think we can do it but am always wary of them we all know they have some serious talent up front and that will always give them a chance and we will have to be very composed and smart to counter any messing or a dodgy ref . delighted with the good win yesterday thought it would be a bit tighter for longer than it turned out roll on the final great days indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,162 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Only catching up since I watched the match late last night on record.:D

The hilarity of the post match analysis was brilliant! Dublin have re-jigged the Game on Saturday/Sunday/Monday........:D Joanne annoyed me a bit. Brolly entertained me and Colm was as usual. Tomas was lost! I don't live in Dublin like a whole lot of Dublin supporters these days and that's a distinct disadvantage. Where I live hasn't been yet subjected to inward Dublin suburbanisation. Hardly any of us! Thererfore I have to listen to insular BS, fairytale stories and lots more muck from those in the pub. The amount of disinformation about Dublin football is incredible. The bile and vitriol is massive. The anger is almost tribal.

I gained a lot of my opinion today in a small bar for the second semi. Holy feck! What Kerry will do to Dublin in the final apparently, will even surprise Kerry people.:eek:

Up the Dubs!

It will be interesting to see if the media revert to the usual Kerry/Dub nostalgia for this one.

Kerry used to love all that cr@p up until 2011 because it gave them a chance to laugh at us and tell jokes about Dub eijits in Ballybunion getting All Ireland medals in their bar change.

They don't have nostalgia about Down or Galway in the 60s, or Tyrone.

All that stuff is buried now, and our serial defeats of them have exposed the fact that they don't like us, or anyone else with the temerity to beat them more than once in a blue moon.

The league match in Tralee scratched at the surface of that visceral hatred. Hopefully some of the cowardly sh1te that they were at at the final whistle will be repaid in their own coin.

Let Dublin dismantle them with unsentimental clinical precision.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Yep agree with the above.
    They only liked us when they beat us.
    That match in Tralee exposed their hatred. Stayed in Killarney for that one and even at breakfast the next morning the staff in the hotel were moaning about the dirty Dubs.
    My little fella who was 7 at the time really didn't get it because he witnessed at first hand the antics of Kerry that night.
    I don't push Dublin on him as he lives in Kildare but he hates Kerry. That's their fault....

Bonniedog wrote:
    The league match in Tralee scratched at the surface.

That was enlightening alright.

The Kerry lads who popped into this thread to thank a gloating post.

I've memorised all 7 of them!!!

Kerry looked good today. At least we got a good look at Tommy Walsh, he seems to be slimmer and moving better than he was a few years ago. He will need a plan.

I suspect that we might see O'Gara in the squad for the next day. Maybe Rory O'Carroll too, if his poor form from last week improves in training.

As much as Tommy looked good for Kerry, they look like a big no 14 would do them some damage too.

Ken Tucky wrote:
    They only liked us when they beat us...

Fr Tod has run a recurring post on this. It's around liking counties that you beat regularly. I think it's a good point.

The dislike goes away when you beat them

I think lads like Gooch etc are honest in how they view Dublin, he's confident enough to show an understandable bit of resentment, but I don't think it's hatred. He had his wins too.

I don't think TOS is that way either. TBH I've never seen a lot of dislike form the Dubs coming from Kerry, and what I have seen is understandable.

Meath and Kildare games have been much hairier affairs with respect to fans imo.

The lads in the sunday game and on RTE I'd say O'Rourke is the only one that carries a bit of that in him.

That was enlightening alright.

The Kerry lads who popped into this thread to thank a gloating post.

I've memorised all 7 of them!!!

Kerry looked good today. At least we got a good look at Tommy Walsh, he seems to be slimmer and moving better than he was a few years ago. He will need a plan.

I suspect that we might see O'Gara in the squad for the next day. Maybe Rory O'Carroll too, if his poor form from last week improves in training.

As much as Tommy looked good for Kerry, they look like a big no 14 would do them some damage too.

I'd be very surprised if Tommy Walsh does not get the line or pulled off early. He plays like he is still in the AFL.

• Advertisement

The lads in the sunday game and on RTE I'd say O'Rourke is the only one that carries a bit of that in him.

We had O'Rourke at club way back 1993/4 for a talk he gave as part of a panel. It being in the heyday of Dublin/Meath rivalry. He'd only retired a year or two before.

He was quite funny.

Someone asked him whether there was real dislike between Meath and Dublin players.

"No," he said, "we kicked the sh1t out of them, and that was the end of it." :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement