Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

I do like a gin and tonic on a Sunday night. Watching TSG here. Also having a Mars ice-cream, feeding the 7 week old. Oh how times are changing!!

I'm not even going to worry about Kerry or what they or the media think their forwards can do to us, there's no point, let them cream themselves over Clifford. We've got Mannion... Paul Mannion.... better than anyone in the country now. Probably fav for POTY now. Their defence will be worrying, we've all the aces.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Couldn't agree more and has posted as much in the AI thread.

Mannion's shooting and Kilkenny's selfless contribution easily forgotten about after COC and Fenton's fine performances.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Strabanimal

STB. wrote: »

Mannion's shooting and Kilkenny's selfless contribution easily forgotten about after COC and Fenton's fine performances.

I admire Kilkenny the most as an outsider. He's always involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Slattsy wrote: »
    I do like a gin and tonic on a Sunday night. Watching TSG here. Also having a Mars ice-cream, feeding the 7 week old. Oh how times are changing!!

I'm not even going to worry about Kerry or what they or the media think their forwards can do to us, there's no point, let them cream themselves over Clifford. We've got Mannion... Paul Mannion.... better than anyone in the country now. Probably fav for POTY now. Their defence will be worrying, we've all the aces.

Nobody in the media, Kerry or otherwise, will be expecting anything but a Dublin victory. Jesus that’s some delusional thinking there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

We've got Mannion... Paul Mannion.... better than anyone in the country now. Probably fav for POTY now. Their defence will be worrying, we've all the aces.

I had a look. :)

Con O Callaghan is 6/4

Brian Fenton 6/1

Paul Mannion 8/1

https://www.oddschecker.com/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/footballer-of-the-year/winner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Joekers

Fenton never goes unforgotten "the swan" absolutely graceful and majestic in everything he does never a bad word said about him

I had a look. :)

Con O Callaghan is 6/4

Brian Fenton 6/1

Paul Mannion 8/1

https://www.oddschecker.com/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/footballer-of-the-year/winner

I had a few bob on Jack but that's gone down the swanny after Saturday. Quite the variance between Con and Paul there. The bookies know!!

That Championship thread is cesspit. I don't know how people would spend their day without us tbh, sad existence in a way but each to their own. It's waaaay past banter with some. Time to bail.

I see some bookies have us at 1/6 and Kerry available at 9/2 for the final. Whilst we're obviously favourites, I don't think we're close to 1/6 shots. Kerry beat Mayo well in the Super 8s, it wont be a cakewalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Seadin

That Championship thread is cesspit. I don't know how people would spend their day without us tbh, sad existence in a way but each to their own. It's waaaay past banter with some. Time to bail.

I see some bookies have us at 1/6 and Kerry available at 9/2 for the final. Whilst we're obviously favourites, I don't think we're close to 1/6 shots. Kerry beat Mayo well in the Super 8s, it wont be a cakewalk.

They be nothing in this game. Dublin are facing their hardest test. If they beat kerry to secure the 5 in a row. Then they are the greatest team in history full stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,066 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Way ahead of ya. But I can't help casting my eye in this morning. Like all car crashes I suppose.

I think it really says it all when you can go into the Mayo thread and discuss the game with the regulars and it's perfectly normal. But the main Championship thread is a warzone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Mayo thread is one of the best ones.

The championship one has been taken over by loons. Most tellingly do not reveal their own county nor seem to participate in their own county threads much if they do.

I have to confess to being guilty of goading some of them and shall desist, but their obsession requires no stoking.

My Da who is in mid 80s lives in Leinster town, and bumps into a few similar types on a daily basis. This in a county that has more chance of launcing a Martian probe than winning anything under GAA auspices, and that has been their default for most of 135 years!

It actually annoys him because he takes it personally, and takes from his enjoyment of the games and can't physically attend any more. Drumpot i think referred to similar stuff where he is.

I lived outside of Dublin including in Cork and Meath when there was big rivalry years ago and honestly can't recall one incidence of the sort of pure pesonalised hatred that is common now. Lots of slagging but it was mostly funny and they could take it as well.

Maybe it is just a symptom of where people are generally.

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Mayo thread is one of the best ones.

The championship one has been taken over by loons. Most tellingly do not reveal their own county nor seem to participate in their own county threads much if they do.

I have to confess to being guilty of goading some of them and shall desist, but their obsession requires no stoking.

My Da who is in mid 80s lives in Leinster town, and bumps into a few similar types on a daily basis. This in a county that has more chance of launcing a Martian probe than winning anything under GAA auspices, and that has been their default for most of 135 years!

It actually annoys him because he takes it personally, and takes from his enjoyment of the games and can't physically attend any more. Drumpot i think referred to similar stuff where he is.

I lived outside of Dublin including in Cork and Meath when there was big rivalry years ago and honestly can't recall one incidence of the sort of pure pesonalised hatred that is common now. Lots of slagging but it was mostly funny and they could take it as well.

Maybe it is just a symptom of where people are generally.

Blessington is it? Poor fella! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I had a few bob on Jack but that's gone down the swanny after Saturday. Quite the variance between Con and Paul there. The bookies know!!

Still think it's Jack's to lose. A half decent final and it's his imo.

Saturday was an odd one for him. Can't remember the last match I saw him so quiet. He looked rightly pissed off when the ref called back his charge on goal and called the advantage instead. Looked like it was his only chance to get on the score board all day and do it in a fashion that befits the Jack Flash soubriquet !
    Way ahead of ya. But I can't help casting my eye in this morning. Like all car crashes I suppose.

I think it really says it all when you can go into the Mayo thread and discuss the game with the regulars and it's perfectly normal. But the main Championship thread is a warzone.

Hands down one of the best threads on here. Maybe it's because there is so much history between us, there are always lots of posts from mods who are posting as actual real live human beings and not the cold, robotic Borg like creatures they actually are. Keeps people in check, if ya get me. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭muddle84

Yes Kerry beat Mayo comfortably and not to take away from what Kerry did to Mayo in that game but i wouldn't use that game as a measure of how good Kerry are. A week after that they drew with Donegal and IMO that was a game that Donegal left behind. Two weeks later after that, Mayo beat Donegal.

I think this Kerry team are a good team and Donie Buckley is starting to make his mark and you can see improvements. But Tyrone nearly had them bet at half time yesterday. I know there is fine forwards in that team, but David Moran is not at Brian Fenton's level. David Clifford and Paul Geaney are not at Con O'Callaghan and Paul Mannion's level. Sean O'Shea is not at Dean Rock's level. As a neutral onlooker in this final I honestly hope it is a good close game, but i honestly can't see anything but a Dublin win.

Having-Fun.png

The new thread is fun!

There's no fordiners coming through on any underage panels though...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,759 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Having-Fun.png

The new thread is fun!

Stop - I have given up on it they don't want to listen - one fella in particular keeps coming out with a 'Dublin Doping' - chart as if that is not antagonistic enough does not listen to reason/read posts.
    Keeps asking the same question in the hope he will eventually get the answer he wants ie funding is the reason Dublin have won 80 titles in 14 years.
    He keeps at it and keeps at it.
    Plus the most offensive part about the whole thing for is that he does not want to praise Dublin's skill, the core of players, or management and structure in anyway shape or form.
    Inspiration and culture of winning, leadership and talent has doing to do with it seems!
    Plus for added insult it is in the flipping chart is in the Mayo colours!

That seems to be the type of mindset Dublin have to deal with they have thier mind made up already.
    No other factors are the reasons why the greatest football team in history are going for five in a row.
    I listed them all time after time and told I was not answering the question! :eek:

It is just trolling at this stage.
    But sure it gives some people something to do I suppose.

I suppose there will always be begrudgers.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Jack O'Connor taking the reigns at Kildare, I wonder if he can take them up another level. A good appointment for them I'd have thought.

Jack O'Connor taking the reigns at Kildare, I wonder if he can take them up another level. A good appointment for them I'd have thought.

He might do something with him - seems to really think about the game and the players he has.

Stop - I have given up on it they don't want to listen - one fella in particular keeps coming out with a 'Dublin Doping' - chart as if that is not antagonistic enough does not listen to reason/read posts.
    Keeps asking the same question in the hope he will eventually get the answer he wants ie funding is the reason Dublin have won 80 titles in 14 years.
    He keeps at it and keeps at it.
    Plus the most offensive part about the whole thing for is that he does not want to praise Dublin's skill, the core of players, or management and structure in anyway shape or form.
    Inspiration and culture of winning, leadership and talent has doing to do with it seems!
    Plus for added insult it is in the flipping chart is in the Mayo colours!

That seems to be the type of mindset Dublin have to deal with they have thier mind made up already.
    No other factors are the reasons why the greatest football team in history are going for five in a row.
    I listed them all time after time and told I was not answering the question! :eek:

It is just trolling at this stage.
    But sure it gives some people something to do I suppose.

I suppose there will always be begrudgers.

Unfortunately I have had to take a step back now that I'm on Frank's naughty list. No point now being in there.

Really glad to see it. Hopefully he brings "something" to them.

We really need a stronger Kildare and Meath at this remove.

• Advertisement

Really glad to see it. Hopefully he brings "something" to them.

We really need a stronger Kildare and Meath at this remove.

Kildare won the under20 couple years ago so maybe that will bring a bit of vibrancy to them.

Meath need to find one or two forwards - and develop that young lad that came on for Newman against Mayo.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Honestly think Kildare and Meath are close to a breakthrough, they're just missing the final ingredient. Not sure what will finish them, but hopefully they continue the upward momentum.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Don’t think some people in Kerry are happy with the appointment of David Gough as the All Ireland final referee ��

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭IRE60

Don’t think some people in Kerry are happy with the appointment of David Gough as the All Ireland final referee ��

I'm happy for Gough himself. Think he thought he should have got the nod last year.

He's not a fella to put up with any sh1t and can be very card happy. No problem flashing the red, as the Kerry team know!!

On balance I think he'll play with both teams, will keep the lid on it 'by any means necessary' and will keep the game going at a decent pace.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

IRE60 wrote: »
    I'm happy for Gough himself. Think he thought he should have got the nod last year.

He's not a fella to put up with any sh1t and can be very card happy. No problem flashing the red, as the Kerry team know!!

On balance I think he'll play with both teams, will keep the lid on it 'by any means necessary' and will keep the game going at a decent pace.

He does seem like a ref who won’t be overawed by the occasion - pinnacle of any refs career to be out on Croke Park on All Ireland final day.

Dublin ladies are out in Croke Park on the 25th - great double header on there.

Please address him by his correct name; Dublin David.

I heard he wears Dublin pyjamas to bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Just An Opinion

It’s cringeworthy carry on out of them, if they’re good enough on the pitch they’ll win it. Still cribbing on about a call he missed in a game 3 years ago, a game they led by 5 at half time in btw but yet it’s the refs fault with his Dublin bias :rolleyes:

Please address him by his correct name; Dublin David.

I heard he wears Dublin pyjamas to bed.

No - I believe his puts impartiality first and in order not to side with any team/colour he's a devout 'combat man'

It’s cringeworthy carry on out of them, if they’re good enough on the pitch they’ll win it. Still cribbing on about a call he missed in a game 3 years ago, a game they led by 5 at half time in btw but yet it’s the refs fault with his Dublin bias :rolleyes:

I’ve just been invited to a protest in Fitzgerald stadium on Saturday against his appointment 😂😂

• Advertisement

I’ve just been invited to a protest in Fitzgerald stadium on Saturday against his appointment 😂😂
    ?Serious?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement