Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Kicked out of a B&B because your baby was crying. I've heard it all now, that's scandalous. I'd have gone to Joe Duffy!

I've a two month old at home, I'd have lost the plot!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

what part of Kerry was that in u mind me asking??? tbf Kerry people are usually very welcoming of guests from anywhere in the world and mostly treat them well.... must say disappointed by ur host... that would not be the Kerry way tbh

It was down in Castlegregory, an otherwise lovely place. I think that the area isn't set up to cater to anyone other than walkers, to be honest, it seems that they're the main tourist group that visits the town.

I was shocked at how cash based the entire area was. Rarely deal in cash, and every B&B down there was cash only, with just the one machine in the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

CatInABox wrote: »
    It was down in Castlegregory, an otherwise lovely place. I think that the area isn't set up to cater to anyone other than walkers, to be honest, it seems that they're the main tourist group that visits the town.

I was shocked at how cash based the entire area was. Rarely deal in cash, and every B&B down there was cash only, with just the one machine in the town.

Can't be letting the tax man know what you're at with a paper trail. Cash is King for fiddling the books.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

Does anyone have a link or source for the 'I Kept Your Seat Warm' poem/video that was done a few years back?

A desperate social media plea for a ticket to an All Ireland Final, can't remember which year, possibly 2016?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 304 ✭✭Prestonites

Nokotan wrote: »
    Does anyone have a link or source for the 'I Kept Your Seat Warm' poem/video that was done a few years back?

A desperate social media plea for a ticket to an All Ireland Final, can't remember which year, possibly 2016?

2015? This one?
    https://www.joe.ie/sport/a-dublin-fan-posts-a-brilliant-video-about-the-struggle-to-get-all-ireland-tickets-511701

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

That's the one yeah, video included there isn't available anymore though unfortunately. Might help my search now I have his name

Well done Cuala on a very convincing win against Boden yesterday. Senior hurling Champs. I am away but heard it was a brilliant performance by Cuala

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Not quite!

Won the league. Look to be in strong position for championship.

Callaghan didn't play.

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Not quite!

Won the league. Look to be in strong position for championship.

Callaghan didn't play.

They are AHL 1 champs.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

I suppose we'll all be tucking into a massive fry up this time next week.

Or bowl of coddle. With carrots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

CatInABox wrote: »
    In fairness to the Kerry management, they came out and backed Gough fully. I'd say they're morto even being mentioned in the same sentence as this stuff.

I thought that I'd dislike this Kerry team more, but they do play nice football, and I can always appreciate nice football. I will state however, that I have never wanted Dublin to absolutely stuff another team more than this Kerry team this year. Nothing to do with the team, but I had a staycation in Kerry this year, which ended acrimoniously. We got kicked out of our B&B because our baby was crying for about ten minutes during the night. I was livid. My wife, a Meath woman, is cheering for Dublin in the final.

Dublin are great for playng the 31 counties against one card but that isnt really true. There are many counties who like seeing Kerry beaten. In a Dublin Meath match Cork would prefer to see Dublin win. I know a Roscommon man who detests Kerry and loves seeing them beaten.

Slattsy wrote: »
    I suppose we'll all be tucking into a massive fry up this time next week.

Or bowl of coddle. With carrots.

In the rare auld times

They are AHL 1 champs.

Well, if that is considered to be champs ;)

They are obviously more focused than they were this time last year. Lost first group game in championship to Boden.

They, Boden, Vinnies and Kilmacud all in separate groups so will all go through.

First games weekend after the football final.

This time next week, should be on third or fourth latte in Gills, wondering if they will let Hill tickets down Jones Road.

First world problems.

They are AHL 1 champs.

Well, if that is considered to be champs ;)

They are obviously more focused than they were this time last year. Lost first group game in championship to Boden.

They, Boden, Vinnies and Kilmacud all in separate groups so will all go through.

First games weekend after the football final.

This time next week, should be on third or fourth latte in Gills, wondering if they will let Hill tickets down Jones Road.

First world problems.

Do you always take the Hill?

Since getting Parnell Pass, always, unless weather tempts us into stand when it is cold.

Stopped going to Hill for years when daughter was small and only back for most games since 2012.

Since getting Parnell Pass, always, unless weather tempts us into stand when it is cold.

Stopped going to Hill for years when daughter was small and only back for most games since 2012.

I used to love it, but crowd is continally changing and i think i just moved with the times and came into seats. Although AI final will be exceptional in the Hill.

Hill is much more "user friendly" than in the olden times.

Love telling my daughter about hurtling down the grassy slope at the back and occasional baton charge.

Young people today ...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Same old stewarding issues still bedevil it imo. Crowd control was piss poor in the section we were in 2 weeks ago.

Ah well, first world problems, eh?

This time next week troops....jayzus !

Well that's true. Once they decide which section to shepherd people into, they don't seem to bother where they might actually go, and the more timid, lazy or just couldn't care less try to clog the passageways,

Terrible crowd at the women's semi finals. 3,000 if that.

Big jump from that to 40,000 for the final!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,759 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Well that's true. Once they decide which section to shepherd people into, they don't seem to bother where they might actually go, and the more timid, lazy or just couldn't care less try to clog the passageways,

Is it true that the crowd is 'orchestrated' for the women's final to make it seem like a big event - get the interesting going?
    Because that is always the impression I get mostly young kids at it etc.
    Maybe in a generation's time the supporters at ladies games will grey slightly?
    I suppose they have to start somewhere.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement

Is it true that the crowd is 'orchestrated' for the women's final to make it seem like a big event - get the interesting going?

No but tickets are sent to schools fromm the development officers in the region and also girls football teams are issued county tickets free of charge so that is why they tend to be of a younger crowd

They do a good job promoting the finals, but crowds for any other games are abysmal. Be interesting to see if many come in for the Dublin game, but surely make more sense playing them in a central smaller ground.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

They do a good job promoting the finals, but crowds for any other games are abysmal. Be interesting to see if many come in for the Dublin game, but surely make more sense playing them in a central smaller ground.

I think it was worth trying, I remember last year there was people saying that the ladies final should only be played in Croke Park if it was played as an opener to a mens game, and then 40000+ turned up and made a mockery of those people.

They'll probably look at changing it after this though, there really isn't enough there.

Then again, maybe the ladies just want to play in Croke Park, and if that's the case, then let them at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,552 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Edgware wrote: »
    Dublin are great for playng the 31 counties against one card but that isnt really true. There are many counties who like seeing Kerry beaten. In a Dublin Meath match Cork would prefer to see Dublin win. I know a Roscommon man who detests Kerry and loves seeing them beaten.

Most Mayo supporters would prefer to see Dublin win. They have two reasons they have not forgotten the Kerry win in 2014 in Limerick they blame Kerry instead of the ref and themselves. As well it will be consolation as they will use this excuse for not winning an All Ireland against Dublin between 2015 and 2017

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

The ladies into there 6th final on the bounce and on for 3 in a row,they never looked like losing and just like their male counterparts they brezzed into another final.

Should win the final easily. Dublin and Cork way ahead of the rest.

Cork only scored 3 points from play.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭rolling boh

great win for the ladies hopefully get some good support for the final might get a few extra if we can win next Sunday .Will start thinking big time from tomorrow about the big one playing the team i most like to beat but the worst to lose to .Am pretty hopeful but never sure we will beat them ever hope all regulars get their tickets ok and we get the win of course .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Should win the final easily. Dublin and Cork way ahead of the rest.

Cork only scored 3 points from play.
    Cork are very close to galway and Mayo. Dublin are pulling away from the back and should continue in future.

I thought the crowd of 10k was decent. Drastically higher then last year's semi. They have to start somewhere.

Crowd certainly picked up for the second game. 10,000 is a good attendance so I revise my earlier bit!

Mayo manager still kicking up over the last incident.

I can see his point, and although she did hop the ball twice, the tackles were on the bad side, so not sure if a throw ball might have been option, as normally case if there are afters?

Can't see Mayo getting anything out of it. Not first time LGFA have seen controversial ends to games that were potentially game changing. As Dublin know only too well a few yeaars ago, but little point in pursuing them.

• Advertisement

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    I thought the crowd of 10k was decent. Drastically higher then last year's semi. They have to start somewhere.

Yes, it filled up when the Dubs came in, was great to see Gaffneys spilling out onto the street after.

I'd worry about attendance of it Dublin weren't in it though.

Fair play to the LGFA all the same, they deserve credit for all they've achieved over the last few years.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement