Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

LGFA have involved huge numbers of girls, as is obvious from the crowds, and (I don't mean this to be demeaning!) it is a bit like concerts for younger kids. They are very dependent on adults bringing them. Clubs do a great job in organising that for finals, but also the four counties involved yesterday. Obviously the logistics are easier from Dublin point of view.

Main thing of course is the active involvement of the girls, and the clubs are going beyond their remit in taking so many of them to the final.

So hats off.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

I seen MDMA was there yesterday, seemed to be promoting one thing or another. What was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Slattsy wrote: »
    I seen MDMA was there yesterday, seemed to be promoting one thing or another. What was it?

He trains the Gaelic For Mothers and Others in Ballybough and they were playing at half time in the Dublin game.

BKWDR wrote: »
    He trains the Gaelic For Mothers and Others in Ballybough and they were playing at half time in the Dublin game.

Great to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭hankless

Weather for Sunday is fairly moderate at the moment. No rain, but there's rain predicted for Monday so that could be Sunday. Too early to get an accurate reading.

• Advertisement

The forecast for Sunday looks good, plenty of sunshiiiine, but a bit cooler.
    Good for the boys and girls driving up from Kerry, there's nothing worse than driving in the rain for long distances, and good for those lucky enough to be on The Hill (most importantly) :)

Plenty of rain on Saturday so pitch could be slippy.

Too early to talk about lineups, potential changes from the semi?
    Will Tommy walsh start for Kerry?

Stay tuned.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,759 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

The forecast for Sunday looks good, plenty of sunshiiiine, but a bit cooler.
    Good for the boys and girls driving up from Kerry, there's nothing worse than driving in the rain for long distances, and good for those lucky enough to be on The Hill (most importantly) :)

Plenty of rain on Saturday so pitch could be slippy.

Too early to talk about lineups, potential changes from the semi?
    Will Tommy walsh start for Kerry?

Stay tuned.

Jayus do you remember in 2015 Jack O'Connor said that the rain did not suit Kerry...
    No excuses this year so!

I think Walsh will start mad not to start him

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Jayus do you remember in 2015 Jack O'Connor said that the rain did not suit Kerry...
    No excuses this year so!

I think Walsh will start mad not to start him

Maybe one of the Kerry lads will confirm, but has he started a game in the Championship yet?

I'd be surprised if he starts myself, he seems to be good coming on as an impact sub.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭Paulzx

No but tickets are sent to schools fromm the development officers in the region and also girls football teams are issued county tickets free of charge so that is why they tend to be of a younger crowd

My club would send in a big group to the ladies final every year and the tickets are all paid for after getting them direct from the Dublin County Board. I'm not aware of any blanket issue of free tickets to the Final to our girls football teams. I think there is a few quid discount alright

• Registered Users Posts: 18,759 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Maybe one of the Kerry lads will confirm, but has he started a game in the Championship yet?

I'd be surprised if he starts myself, he seems to be good coming on as an impact sub.

Pat Spillane seems to think Walsh will still be kept as sub -

https://www.independent.ie/sport/columnists/pat-spillane-three-key-backroom-battles-that-will-decide-if-sam-maguiregoes-to-dublin-or-kerry-38437427.html

"given his relative lack of championship minutes this summer there are question marks over whether he would last a full match.

So Kerry will probably keep him in reserve for when they launch Plan B, which will involve an aerial bombardment of the Dublin full-back line."

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 304 ✭✭Prestonites

Paulzx wrote: »
    No but tickets are sent to schools fromm the development officers in the region and also girls football teams are issued county tickets free of charge so that is why they tend to be of a younger crowd

My club would send in a big group to the ladies final every year and the tickets are all paid for after getting them direct from the Dublin County Board. I'm not aware of any blanket issue of free tickets to the Final to our girls football teams. I think there is a few quid discount alright

Our own club received a bulk free, and I know alot of clubs are the same. Have you ever asked for them from DLGFA

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

CatInABox wrote: »
    Yes, it filled up when the Dubs came in, was great to see Gaffneys spilling out onto the street after.

I'd worry about attendance of it Dublin weren't in it though.

Fair play to the LGFA all the same, they deserve credit for all they've achieved over the last few years.
    There probably won't be a semi final that doesn't involve Dublin over the next decade. It would be nice to see pairc ui chaoimh get them next year and all the Cork clubs to get a batch of free tickets.

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    There probably won't be a semi final that doesn't involve Dublin over the next decade. It would be nice to see pairc ui chaoimh get them next year and all the Cork clubs to get a batch of free tickets.

Not sure about the semi finals, but know that clubs outside of Dublin and participating counties get free tickets for the final. Niece in Kildare is going to finals and Kildare are not in any of them.

Would be a good idea to maybe have semis in more central location given crowd and spread of counties involved. I'd imagine they all want to keep CP for the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Not sure about the semi finals, but know that clubs outside of Dublin and participating counties get free tickets for the final. Niece in Kildare is going to finals and Kildare are not in any of them.

Would be a good idea to maybe have semis in more central location given crowd and spread of counties involved. I'd imagine they all want to keep CP for the final.
    Same here in Meath. I think my club organises a bus up every year. Obviously a good chunk of the girls that go are Dublin fans but many of them would be meath fans or support other counties. It's a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

The impact sub tactic is a big gamble. The game might be done and dusted before you get a chance to use him. Start with your strongest possible 15 is my advice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭Paulzx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

When does Gavin normally announce the 26?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

They aren't free tickets - they have actually been paid for earlier in the year . Every club in the country pays a €150 levy to the LGFA to cover the cost of opening Croke Park for the final and in return get 6 adult tickets or 2 adult tickets and 20 juvenile tickets. You can't register a player until those fees are paid - levy to the LGFA, levy to provincial and levy to ypur county board. They aren't free at all - the levy came in when attendances were very little and it was costing the LGFA to hire CP, which now when they are breaking even with it could be reduced.

Crowd for last years semi final waa around 1000, semi final in CP was over 10,000. I definitely wouldn't want to see it moved outta there. The aim for any gaelic player is to play there - the more ladies playing there the better

For the participating counties there is an LGFA officer assigned to help with the ticket distribution and working on increasing the ticket sales

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

When does Gavin normally announce the 26?

He doesn't.

Starting 15 is announced at about 9.30pm on the Saturday evening. The actual starting 15 is announced about a minute before throw in.

We find out who is on the bench whenever someone gets a hold of a program & throws up a picture of the subs named. That can be any time really. Sometimes the DCB will tweet out a picture of it that morning, sometime they don't.

Clear as mud, eh? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,020 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Tommy Walsh has started 2 All Ireland finals.

• Advertisement

BPKS wrote: »
    Tommy Walsh has started 2 All Ireland finals.

In 2019....

ProudDUB wrote: »
    He doesn't.

Starting 15 is announced at about 9.30pm on the Saturday evening. The actual starting 15 is announced about a minute before throw in.

We find out who is on the bench whenever someone gets a hold of a program & throws up a picture of the subs named. That can be any time really Sometimes the DCB will tweet out a picture of it that morning, sometime they don't.

Clear as mud, eh? ;)

Its bizarre, I think most neutrals will have more interest in Brogan / Connolly making the squad than the actual line up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Not bizarre at all. I am perfectly ok with Peter Keane finding out who is starting at 3.29, just like everyone else. I am also perfectly ok with his not knowing whether or not he needs to come up with a plan to contain Diarmuid Connolly in the final quarter of the game, until the last possible minute.

Sure, it would be interesting fodder for us to all mull over the night before. But all I care about is winning Sam. Everything else is secondary to that. I'm utterly ruthless too. Just like Our Glorious Leader. All Hail our Glorious Leader. Long live our Glorious Leader. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Its bizarre, I think most neutrals will have more interest in Brogan / Connolly making the squad than the actual line up.

I'd like Brogan to be involved myself.

Fann Linn wrote: »

Bring him on when the gap is over ten. Early second half ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,020 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

In 2019....

Zero.

Got around 25 minutes at the end of Meath and Tyrone games. Came on against Clare in first round and ended up being black carded IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭yobr

Unlikley, he’ll make the 26.

Yeah, same. And Connolly.

Do only the 26 get medals?

• Advertisement

Do only the 26 get medals?

No you get a few more. Dublin David Gaugh and B€rti€ Ah€rn deserve a medal.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement