Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Wouldn't normally post this early in an AI week, but my oul lad dropped in today and wanted to talk about the league game in Kerry earlier this year. We were at the game. He was serious about it, I was just enjoying the night out and beer as the missus was away. It was a great night out.:D Anyway, he's consumed by Kerry and getting sucked in by every little comment emanating from the Kingdom. I don't want to listen. Whats making it worse is that he is in Kerry this weekend as my Mam is having an OP in the Bon Secours in Tralee. So it was Kerry this and Kerry that. My head is wrecked!

EDIT - He's a Dub!:D My mother's a Dub!:D But all he can talk about is Kerry!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Tell your Da to put on his Big Boy Pants.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Tell your Da to put on his Big Boy Pants.

I fecked him out of my house! Don't need it.:eek:

Tough love. He mightn't appreciate it now, but he will thank you for it on Sunday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Just to throw a curve ball in here. Are we away to Donegal in the league next year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

No way of knowing. The 2020 league calendar hasn't been announced yet. They weren't in Div 1 this year, so we won't have the reverse home & away ties the way we will with the other Div 1 counties.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    No way of knowing. The 2020 league calendar hasn't been announced yet. They weren't in Div 1 this year, so we won't have the reverse home & away ties the way we will with the other Div 1 counties.

Thats what I was thinking alright. And yet we were away to Cavan/Roscommon so just thinking perhaps we'll be home to Donegal/Meath. Thanks.

Just the luck of the draw really. Also depends on what year of the two year cycle we are in.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Do only the 26 get medals?

GAA only give out 26 - presume the Dublin board would shell out for any extras

• Registered Users Posts: 19,066 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Grandeeod wrote: »
    I fecked him out of my house! Don't need it.:eek:

We're gonna have to do the same with gormdubhgorm.

He's turning into a gibbering wreck.

• Advertisement

We're gonna have to do the same with gormdubhgorm.

He's turning into a gibbering wreck.

It'll be Danny Doyle singing Rare Oul Times next.

GAA only give out 26 - presume the Dublin board would shell out for any extras

Ill fork out for Brogan's medal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Was watching Dubs v Kerry game in Thurles last night. I have Eir Sport 1 now all of a sudden. Didn't ask for it but its there now and plenty of GAA on it.

The Dubs forwards were laughable in the first half. Collie Moran skewed one 21 yard free a mile wide before slicing a miss of the year, open goal chance from 5 yards out. It was woeful stuff but the best was yet to come. Just on the stroke of half time Ciaran Whelan hits the post from 20 yards out and the ball broke kindly for Dessie Farrel who rounded the keeper and had an empty net in front of him to tap the ball in. Unfortunately Dessie had other ideas and from barely three yards out he proceeds to hit the cross bar with what is without doubt the worst miss i have ever seen in inter county football. Must say i had a right good laugh. What a difference this era to then.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,759 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Was watching Dubs v Kerry game in Thurles last night. I have Eir Sport 1 now all of a sudden. Didn't ask for it but its there now and plenty of GAA on it.

The Dubs forwards were laughable in the first half. Collie Moran skewed one 21 yard free a mile wide before slicing a miss of the year, open goal chance from 5 yards out. It was woeful stuff but the best was yet to come. Just on the stroke of half time Ciaran Whelan hits the post from 20 yards out and the ball broke kindly for Dessie Farrel who rounded the keeper and had an empty net in front of him to tap the ball in. Unfortunately Dessie had other ideas and from barely three yards out he proceeds to hit the cross bar with what is without doubt the worst miss i have ever seen in inter county football. Must say i had a right good laugh. What a difference this era to then.

I remember that day well. I was working in Arnotts at the time and we had to commandeer the TV in the department to watch it. Thank God we were sponsors.

Not a tap done that afternoon. Well, the ladies in the dept who had no interest in the game did all the selling while we watched on.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

The 2016 replay is on TG4 now. Jesus we left so much behind that day it's not even funny. Thankfully our conversion rate has improved ten fold since those dark dark days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

I had the ticket office to myself this afternoon .... they wouldn't take the extra tenner off me for the training fund for love nor money......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Just back of my alcoholiers has the final gone in to over drive yet with the press and social media yet? Was getting some dirty looks on the holiers when out in a Dubs top :D the usual ABD country folk staring at me and making remarks about population money etc.
    Anyway hopefully it be a nice dry Sunday and not like the last final we played them in 2015.

Just back of my alcoholiers has the final gone in to over drive yet with the press and social media yet? Was getting some dirty looks on the holiers when out in a Dubs top :D the usual ABD country folk staring at me and making remarks about population money etc.
    Anyway hopefully it be a nice dry Sunday and not like the last final we played them in 2015.

The handiest AI i've ever seen.

Slattsy wrote: »
    The handiest AI i've ever seen.

It always grates me that the weather levelled it. We would have murdered them that day. They were shocking bad.

• Advertisement

It always grates me that the weather levelled it. We would have murdered them that day. They were shocking bad.

Yup. Could have been a humiliation. There's always Sunday.

Yup. Could have been a humiliation. There's always Sunday.

3 days before a final and not having those nervy little moments like in years gone by.
    Very quiet this year altogether.

Just like last year so

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

5 in a row. Up the dubs!!!!

kona wrote: »
    5 in a row. Up the dubs!!!!

Someone was on the razz!

Is there a bit more publicity/interviews with the dubs this year? Both JG and MDMA appearing in interviews yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Someone was on the razz!

A warm up for sunday!

• Subscribers Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Is there a bit more publicity/interviews with the dubs this year? Both JG and MDMA appearing in interviews yesterday.

They are just hold overs from media day after Mayo game.

An ticeád safely collected.

Phew.

Always a relief to get that sorted.

Sitting in a cafe on the Batchelors Walk, watching the Dublin & Kerry flags lining Anna Livia Plurabelle fluttering in the breeze.

It's all starting to become real now, but in a way it still seems unreal.

Maybe it's because I haven't listened to a single podcast or match preview, read a single article, or had even the faintest of sniffs in the match thread. Gotta be done to save the sanity.

Been visiting a relation in James every Friday evening for the past month. Walk back to town past Christchurch, Guinness, Swift's St Patrick's, St James Church (established 1724) that holds the chalice used at the wedding of Joseph Plunkett to Grace Gifford at Kilmainham Jail, just before he was executed in 1916, the Four Courts, the Ha'Penny Bridge, on and on.

So much history. So much to be proud of. So much to be ashamed of, (Yes, Dublin Civic Offices at Wood Quay I AM looking at you !) But all history none the less.

And we're going to be a part of it on Sunday.

Christ !

• Advertisement

There was a mushrooming of flags and bunting between time I left this morning and 6.

A few clubs still to put up their ones so yes, definitely adding to the excitement.

I did notice that there was no banner on the Ha'penny Bridge. I had thought we had won that one, but that was before the Khmer Vert revival.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement