Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,066 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Drumpot wrote: »
    Nice.....

C70-E2566-92-AD-4-CEC-A95-D-151-E590-B8-D43.jpg

Upper 706 eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Upper 706 eh?

Close, 707 but Nearer 706

Feel as worried as I did at ht against mayo . This is gonna be tough

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭hunter164

We got out of jail.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭hunter164

Bringing Paddy Small on was a mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Brilliant. Definately great to get a second chance. Thought it was slipping away when Kerry went in front. Our lads character has given us another crack at immortality. Lets see if Kerry can beat us 15 v 15. Relief!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

What a team.

A rare bad day for Gavin, but the mentality of those players. Down a man for a half and only one winner at the end

• Registered Users Posts: 13,125 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Jesus those last ten minutes where horrible! Nearly on the way to talla hospital after that haha!

That sending off was huge we where comfortable before the goal. Left some gaps at the back unfortunately.

I just knew if they got a goal it would push them on. ****ing play acting at the end was pathetic from Kerry.

Cant believe have to do it all again ffs haha.

This feels like a win for me.if we had have lost with 14 men there would have been questions of 'what if?' that would have tortured us till our dying days. If Kerry beat us 15 v 15 well hats off but we should sleep easy tonight lads our magic men did it again. Roll on two weeks!!

No ones ever done the 4 and 1/2 in a row!!

My player ratings
    1 S Cluxton 8
    2 D Byrne 8
    3 J Cooper 2
    4 M Fitz 7
    5 J Small 5
    6 J McCarthy 5
    7 J McCaffrey 10
    8 B Fenton 5
    9 MDMA 6
    10 N Scully 6
    11C Kilkenny 7
    12 B Howard 9
    13 C O Callaghan 7
    14 D Rock 7
    15 P Mannion 5

Man of match Jack McCaffrey with one of the great All Ireland final displays.

• Advertisement

The real turning point for me (besides tbe red card) was Paddy Small's effort of a point that somwhow the Kerry goalkeeper managed to pluck from over the crossbar. From two inches of going 6 points up and for me the game was nearly done then, Kerry raced down the field and buried a fine goal. From nearly 6 points up to only 3 up in the blink of an eye, my heart sank as Kerry got a second wind. I cursed Paddy momentarily i must say but all is forgiven as we live to fight another day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Drained after that....can only imagine how both set of players feel.
    How our lads got something out of that game I don't know. Immense guts....
    Kerry should have won that....hopefully we make them regret it

Is Cooper out of replay?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,758 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I honestly can't see Dublin losing the replay now.
    That was Kerry's shot a man up but they could not stretch ahead and control the game.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭conor05

I am not sure how the replay will go.

While Dublin will no doubt Improve with 15 v 15, a lot of these Kerry young loads have gained a Senior All Ireland final day experience and won’t fear dubs in replay.

conor05 wrote: »

While Dublin will no doubt Improve with 15 v 15, a lot of these Kerry young loads have gained a Senior All Ireland final day experience and won’t fear dubs in replay.

There is a danger that extra man advantage could lull us into a false sense of security.

I will watch the game tonight but I think lack of experience and nerves got to Kerry. No score for final 10-12 mins of game I think and they didn’t retain possession as well as Dublin who looked so comfortable, even if I was as uncomfortable as I’ve been at a game in a long long time.

Lots of poor mistakes from Dublin players is a concern. Also Kerry could of had 4 goals or maybe 5 on a different day. I was surprised how well Kerry carved us open at times.

Dublin need to dig deep now because Kerry , if they even did before, have plenty of room to improve, maybe even more then Dublin. A young inexperienced team who will still be under dogs but have a massive game under their belt. As their manager said they clawed back a 4 point deficit so it can’t be argued they didn’t take advantage of the extra man. Winning would of just taken full advantage, but they did well to drag into a lead on 65. Especially after some bad misses aswell.

Dublin will have to improve and can’t rely so much on one player the next day. I mean McCaffrey, Just wow, he was worth two and his threat when going forward had Kerry lads looking for nappies.

I’m delighted we got another bite of the cherry but I won’t be putting it in the “Kerry missed their chance” basket as I don’t think a team 1/5 before a game will feel a draw and another shot as a negative. Dublin haven’t lost a championship game in 5 years and only lost one game in 7 years if I am correct. If Kerry take more good then bad from this game the next day could be even tougher, even with 15 men.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

COS will start the replay and sit in front of the fullback line. That's where we were hurt the most, that space between the fullback and halfback lines.

MDMA will be lucky to get a starting spot next day out, bar one or two flashes he was pretty much anonymous.

McCarthy had an off day by his own standards. Scully was also very poor for larger spells. That said it's hard to really judge having played so much of the game down a man.

For a game that didn't really have a bad stroke in it I thought the number of cards was ridiculously high. The only bad tackle in the entire game was the head shot on P Smalls at the very end. Gough got far to involved in the game from the off. I don't think Copper did a lot wrong for his time on the pitch. The penalty was as soft as you'll see. His first yellow was extremely harsh, yes it was a foul but my God Clifford didn't half throw himself into the ground like he was shot. The red was inexcusable, 2 lads going for a ball and coming together. Now in saying all that if Cooper's was a red than the Kerry corner back should have got the line early in the second half. I actually think that was the right call but showed a complete lack of consistency.

I'd say the lads will be chomping at the bit for the replay now. They had everything thrown at them and still somehow managed to get a draw out of that game.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

conor05 wrote: »

The last few minutes told me a lot about Kerry. I've no fear now. Could have and should have been done and dusted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭IRE60

Grandeeod wrote: »
    The last few minutes told me a lot about Kerry. I've no fear now. Could have and should have been done and dusted.

I thought that one, one single, point was character building stuff - no panic. Down by one man and one point and kept the head, soldier on. My grandmother used to say - 'a good soldier never looks behind'

I saw a clip of Rocks final kick (on a phone) Jesus he was so unlucky - bit of wind drifted it to the left.

Watching bits of the game again. Dublin shoudinof had a peno on 47. Foul on O Callaghan was clearly in box. Look at the live wide angle as it’s happening. Both players are in the box and O Callaghan is clearly fouled. Less then 3 mins later Moran should of been off. McStay was as poor in his analysis as the ref during those few mins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

What do ya say to that. Kerry left 2 -5 behind in the first half.
    They should have had a man gone in the 2nd. Dublin killed in midfield. Brian howard is a ****in legend.

Kerry left that behind. Same as mayo. If the do the 5 it will be the hardest won. And theres no arguments over that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭billyhead

I can see Dublin winning the replay. With 15 on 15 Dublin will be better ans surely the lads who under performed today i.e Mannion and Fenton cant be as bad the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

IRE60 wrote: »
    I thought that one, one single, point was character building stuff - no panic. Down by one man and one point and kept the head, soldier on. My grandmother used to say - 'a good soldier never looks behind'

I dunno if it was panic, but they were feeling a bit of the pressure towards the end when 1 point behind, a couple of long range efforts, that maybe would be been better working into a better spots for a shot. It's great when the go over, but 2/3 in a row wide when there are only minutes on the clock isn't great.

Even the goal that Kerry got, that was from a long range shot that keeper got hands to and they went up the field got the goal that brought them back into the game. You learn when your 10 - better hit it wide than into the keepers hands - also think there was one in the first half as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭C__MC

Mannion and con never got the space the Kerry forwards got, Kerry floated back very quickly clogging up space.
    Dublin native in this regard.

Ideally mc carthy would be a better option in the middle over MDMA.

Kilkenny with another subdued all Ireland performance as well.

I thought Dublin should have penatred Kerry in the last attack, they had the run on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭Paulzx

My only emotion after todays game is relief.

We got out of jail today.

Paulzx wrote: »
    My only emotion after todays game is relief.

We got out of jail today.

And we get to do it again. Technically our 7th final in 5 years, wonder is that a record?! :D

Some were saying Cooper misses the replay. I dont think so with two yellows. He was very poor today bit expect a rejuvenated Cooper for Round 2. We need him back to his best.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,125 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

At the back was a major problem for Dublin today. Cooper and Small let us down at times.

I dont think Cooper should of been sent off but he played into the hands of the ref and Clifford came out on top every time he was touched everything was given to him.

Im very surprised COS didn't play we really could of done with a level experienced head at the back there because the gaps we left and the sending off is what let Kerry back into the game.

Look at how Dublin defended against Mayo in the semi and today ffs. It was literally a case of dont touch them until the very last second at times. Your rarely gonna come out on top if u defend that way look at the amount of frees and set pieces Kerry where given and that is a major part of Dublin's game at times giving away ridiculously soft frees. O Shea lapped it up and basically all his scores where handy set pieces.

The Kerry goal came at a point that we where on top we where starting to get comfortable. If we had of kicked the score at the other end the goal wouldn't of came. It was just one of those things. Shout out to Cluxton today he was amazing he is going to be a huge lose when he finishes up.

Dublin need to improve at the back the next day they allowed Kerry so much space and you cant do it no ****ing way!

I really do think we have way to much for them we really did give them far to much space when they got forward. The total lack of defending cost us.

Look at how Kerry played and dealt with the end of that game compared to how we did we should of had them. We where our own worst enemy today in many ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Pretty happy with the draw in he end thought we would get edged out with about ten to go .We have to keep 15 on the pitch obviously the next day this KERRY team will take heart from their display today so big improvement from us needed for the replay and i think we will get it .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

If getting out of jail was equalising in added on time then yeah ok .. but Dublin were the better team for most of that match

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement