Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Did somebody delete a post of mine about McStay making a gaff on 76 minutes?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

DoctaDee wrote: »
    If getting out of jail was equalising in added on time then yeah ok .. but Dublin were the better team for most of that match

If Kerry were any way composed they would have bet Dublin out the gates.
    The most of the Dublin team today were anonymous.
    Kerry should have punished them when they got the chance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Kh1993

Interesting how we approach the replay defensively. Do we stick with the high pressure out in front man on man led by Cooper. Or do we go for COS and Phillys experienced heads (but less pace)?

I thought Philly wouldn’t have been a bad shout today. I remember from the documentary on the 2017(?) final, and he basically reffed the game being in Gough’s ear all game. Cuteness if I may.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

If Kerry were any way composed they would have bet Dublin out the gates.
    The most of the Dublin team today were anonymous.
    Kerry should have punished them when they got the chance

Take it to the match thread, won't be putting with that guff here - purely to get a reaction

• Registered Users Posts: 13,125 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

My biggest issue with how Dublin play a lot of the time is how much time and space they give teams on the ball. It works against smaller teams because there not always as good going forward and the last line of defense is usually good enough.

What they gave Kerry today nearly cost us and its unforgivable. Dont get me wrong Kerry looked very good at times but the vast majority of there best moments came from Dublin allowing them far to much space. Other then that they where slow and quite naive a lot of the game.

If Dublin pushed them a bit harder around the pitch they would not of got an awful lot the chances they got. Basically Kerry have a few lads who get the majority of there scores other then that they miss so much in most games.

Dublin are far better on the ball and going forward it was an awful frustrating shame that we didn't make the most of this today.

We basically allowed Kerry to play to there strengths which i just dont understand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,884 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Take it to the match thread, won't be putting with that guff here - purely to get a reaction

Appeared out of nowhere, trying to get a rise.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

My biggest issue with how Dublin play a lot of the time is how much time and space they give teams on the ball. It works against smaller teams because there not always as good going forward and the last line of defense is usually good enough.

What they gave Kerry today nearly cost us and its unforgivable. Dont get me wrong Kerry looked very good at times but the vast majority of there best moments came from Dublin allowing them far to much space. Other then that they where slow and quite naive a lot of the game.

If Dublin pushed them a bit harder around the pitch they would not of got an awful lot the chances they got. Basically Kerry have a few lads who get the majority of there scores other then that they miss so much in most games.

Dublin are far better on the ball and going forward it was an awful frustrating shame that we didn't make the most of this today.

We basically allowed Kerry to play to there strengths which i just dont understand.

Jim will play a sweeper the next day out. Alot of Kerry's good play came from runners coming into space. It's very difficult for a defender facing his own goal in a situation like that. Someone like COS in there could have tidied up a fair amount of ball or at least slowed the players coming through.

We also need to be more disciplined in the tackle. We gave away very soft frees today when we should have let the Kerry lads take their shots as they had some bad wides and we're not fmdoing a lot from open play, moreso in the first half.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

That match thread is something else. Worst I've seen in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭Paulzx

JRant wrote: »

Yeah. There's some serious buffoonary going on in it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

I thought we defended quite well actually. 1-16 isn't a massive total to give up with 14 men for a half.

Fitzsimons, Byrne and McCaffrey all had good games. McCarthy had one of his poorer outings but was still ok.

Cooper was shafted by the referee. 3 times he touched, and i say touched deliberately because none of them were fouls, and he got the line. His second yellow was a free out. Cooper was playing the ball and Clifford was playing the man. Thats a free out. Cooper didn't seem under pressure to me up until that point. I'd back him to do his job next time out.

Small didn't have much of an impact again but i've some sympathy. Stephen O'Brien played him at his own game and pulled his jersey just as much. The ref is always going to side with the forward though. Its a bit of genius from O'Brien actually. When faced with a hatchet man with a reputation foul the bollox out of him. The ref will never believe you're the instigator.

Our problems (if you want to call them that) were at the other end. We're used to generating more scoring chances and ending up with a higher score. Mannion and Con selflessly showed for the ball in the second half but they were picking up ball a distance from goal and out by the touchline. Can't damage the scoreboard out there. Credit Kerry though. They worked really hard to get back quickly into defensive positions. Fenton and Howard hanging back when down to 15 really limited our potential too...... Next day we'll be better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

If getting out of jail was equalising in added on time then yeah ok .. but Dublin were the better team for most of that match

Don't agree, I can't understand why they didn't push on more in second half. We were getting murdered o n our kick out. I was glad the ref blew. Our lads are monsters...that wasn't a match they wanted to lose. Big men, Great men

Paulzx wrote: »
    Yeah. There's some serious buffoonary going on in it

It's incredible. We had a great game of football with some interesting talking points and somehow it turns into that quagmire.

corny wrote: »
    I thought we defended quite well actually. 1-16 isn't a massive total to give up with 14 men for a half.

Fitzsimons, Byrne and McCaffrey all had good games. McCarthy had one of his poorer outings but was still ok.

Cooper was shafted by the referee. 3 times he touched, and i say touched deliberately because none of them were fouls, and he got the line. His second yellow was a free out. Cooper was playing the ball and Clifford was playing the man. Thats a free out. Cooper didn't seem under pressure to me up until that point. I'd back him to do his job next time out.

Small didn't have much of an impact again but i've some sympathy. Stephen O'Brien played him at his own game and pulled his jersey just as much. The ref is always going to side with the forward though. Its a bit of genius from O'Brien actually. When faced with a hatchet man with a reputation foul the bollox out of him. The ref will never believe you're the instigator.

Our problems (if you want to call them that) were at the other end. We're used to generating more scoring chances and ending up with a higher score. Mannion and Con selflessly showed for the ball in the second half but they were picking up ball a distance from goal and out by the touchline. Can't damage the scoreboard out there. Credit Kerry though. They worked really hard to get back quickly into defensive positions. Fenton and Howard hanging back when down to 15 really limited our potential too...... Next day we'll be better.

I thought the Munch did well when he came on as well.

That second half was as good a performance I can remember considering what we were up against. No other team in the country was coming out of that position with anything other than a loss.

Agree completely on Cooper. It goes back to something I said a while ago about Clifford. If a defender farts in his general direction refs jump to his defense and give him the free. Sure even Howard was booked for Clifford pulling him down trying to stop a quick kickout.

On the attack, I think we carried the ball into contact more than I can remember in a long time. Couldn't understand why we keep doing it. When we moved the ball quickly Kerry really struggled. It also didn't help that MDMA had one of his poorest run-outs in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

corny wrote: »

Disagree. The penalty was very soft but Coopers next foul was very sloppy and this earned him the first yellow. He then gave the referee a decision to make just before half time when he had no need to. It was clumsy at best and a poor execution of a tackle. Why give the referee that decision to make in a non-dangerous position on the field? Not very smart from Johny. I just knew when.Clifford went down and the crowd were roaring that Gough would produce the red card.

:D I won't be touching it - for those that are inclined to venture into that swamp, please report posts don't get drawn into the mess.

I feel Dublin supporters have been painted into corners far too often, wherever else it happens I'll guarantee its not happening in our own county thread

Ken Tucky wrote: »
    Don't agree, I can't understand why they didn't push on more in second half. We were getting murdered o n our kick out. I was glad the ref blew. Our lads are monsters...that wasn't a match they wanted to lose. Big men, Great men

Ah don't get me wrong I was as happy as anyone to hear the whistle - Kerry definitely got on top for 10 mins or so, but when it really mattered there was only one team that looked like winning once the scores were tied - I don't think Kerry got a shot off in the last 8-9 mins..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Will take that draw. Was literally shaking at the end of that. Think Kerry can be the more disappointed team. As someone pointed out Ryan’s save over the bar looked like a turning point. Thought Dublin were starting to assert until that and then bang...up the field and Kerry goal.

Great game and I think it would have been harsh on Kerry if Rock had nailed that free at the end. Just watched highlights and confirmed that Jack was class today although watching from Hill I didn’t appreciate Howard’s take in the build up as much at the time..some man.

As for the final thread...I intended to do a catch up but gave up when Cluxton was called a cheat for coming off line at penalty. There’s no response to that kind of nonsense.

Anyway...Happy to have the second chance to do the five. I don’t think Kerry will get another go but hoping this is the start of a good bitter rivalry. I won’t be too upset if they do eventually beat this Dublin side...just not this year.

Disagree. The penalty was very soft but Coopers next foul was very sloppy and this earned him the first yellow. He then gave the referee a decision to make just before half time when he had no need to. It was clumsy at best and a poor execution of a tackle. Why give the referee that decision to make in a non-dangerous position on the field? Not very smart from Johny. I just knew when.Clifford went down and the crowd were roaring that Gough would produce the red card.

Well the penalty was just good defending. He used his body to brush Clifford away under a high ball. He was just stronger than Clifford in that exchange but it was almost textbook defending for a fullback. If that's a penalty than we may as well make the game non contact.

His first yellow was harsh. Sure he had his arm but how many times does that happen in a game with nothing more than a free. The ref bought Clifford throwing himself backwards onto the ground. Watch the replay, there was very little in it, certainly not enough to put him on his arse.

Now for the red. He goes to claim the ball, Clifford backs into him and they both go down. You are not allowed check a player going for the ball like that. At best it's a free out, at worst it's play on.

I thought Gough reffed the second half far far better. Let the game flow more and only brought the cards out when they were really necessary. It was like someone had a quiet word in his ear at halftime and told him to calm down with the whistle.

Was the elbow on John Small accidental?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭Paulzx

Ah don't get me wrong I was as happy as anyone to hear the whistle - Kerry definitely got on top for 10 mins or so, but when it really mattered there was only one team that looked like winning once the scores were tied - I don't think Kerry got a shot off in the last 8-9 mins..

Yeah. That seriously surprised me. They seemed to turn from team that had asked serious questions of the Dublin defence to a team trying not to lose a game rather than trying to win it.

One thing that i felt Dublin got wrong was our refusal to tackle hard until the ball actually came into the scoring danger area. We seemed to be happy to shadow ball carriers until they got inside our 45.

Personally i rather see hard contacts further out the pitch and more pressure on the ball carrier. Al least frees are not scorable from there.

The irony is that we started physically harassing the Kerry ball carrier in their own half in the last few mins which produced our final scores with turnovers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Well the penalty was just good defending. He used his body to brush Clifford away under a high ball. He was just stronger than Clifford in that exchange but it was almost textbook defending for a fullback. If that's a penalty than we may as well make the game non contact.

His first yellow was harsh. Sure he had his arm but how many times does that happen in a game with nothing more than a free. The ref bought Clifford throwing himself backwards onto the ground. Watch the replay, there was very little in it, certainly not enough to put him on his arse.

Now for the red. He goes to claim the ball, Clifford backs into him and they both go down. You are not allowed check a player going for the ball like that. At best it's a free out, at worst it's play on.

I thought Gough reffed the second half far far better. Let the game flow more and only brought the cards out when they were really necessary. It was like someone had a quiet word in his ear at halftime and told him to calm down with the whistle.

Fair points but i still think Cooper was playing Russian Roulette with that last tackle. No need for it. He knew the ref was card happy. Why do it? Never mind now he'll learn from it and expect a big game from him in replay.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

:D I won't be touching it - for those that are inclined to venture into that swamp, please report posts don't get drawn into the mess.

I feel Dublin supporters have been painted into corners far too often, wherever else it happens I'll guarantee its not happening in our own county thread

The same lads from the Dublin dominance thread, quelle surprise.

Time to logout before I end up red carded!

We live to fight another day, Saturday week. The dream is still alive!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Cooper actually won the ball for his first yellow. His arm gets tangled up after winning it though and Clifford makes the most of it. I can't understand why there's near universal consensus that thats a yellow. Incredibly harsh free never mind a yellow. Clifford wasn't even going to win the break. A covering Dublin player was. He knew it and played for the foul.

The ref afforded him protection that no other player got. Con and Mannion had lads hanging out of them the entire the game. There wasn't a non contact policy in operation there. Sean O' Shea ran into some treatment too. Again it was allowed go. He was only officious when it came to touching Clifford. Its not the first time i've noticed it either. Defenders aren't allowed get close to him. They have to stand off and hope they can block his shot. Fine standing for someone so young.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Kh1993

blanch152 wrote: »

Looked it on first replay, think Ryan turned his shoulder away from him and caught him.

Incidentally Examiner tomorrow say he faces a race to be fit for the replay from the hand injury in the same incident

Kh1993 wrote: »
    Looked it on first replay, think Ryan turned his shoulder away from him and caught him.

Incidentally Examiner tomorrow say he faces a race to be fit for the replay from the hand injury in the same incident

Didn’t see it at the game, and tv was unclear.

Fair points but i still think Cooper was playing Russian Roulette with that last tackle. No need for it. He knew the ref was card happy. Why do it? Never mind now he'll learn from it and expect a big game from him in replay.

Don't get me wrong, I'd be the first to call him out if he deserved it. Just can't see how he was supposed to man mark without getting tight. It wasn't like he came flying into a stupid tackle and clocked him. He made a genuine attempt at the ball and was blocked off from it. A different ref today and we could very well be talking about the a masterclass of defending :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Always number 1

blanch152 wrote: »

Yes. Both players had their eyes on the ball.
    My only gripe is that the umpire didn't drawn referee's attention to the head injury and play should've stopped - they got their goal in that passage of play

Likewise I thought under Goughs understanding of consistency, penalising the pull down, that Tom O'Sullivan was lucky to stay on the field, his foul on Con and then I think PSmall afterwards could've seen the numbers evened up. Would've been a complete travesty if he had gone in fairness - but them were his rules today

Was really impressed with Morley and O Sullivan today I didn't think theyd be up to it, and Moran in midfield is back to his best - we've a lot of unsolved match ups to sort

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Always number 1

Kh1993 wrote: »

He had blood on his hands coming off but I thought he had blood on his face or something.. could miss replay with concussion though..

• Advertisement

Likewise I thought under Goughs understanding of consistency, penalising the pull down, that Tom O'Sullivan was lucky to stay on the field, his foul on Con and then I think PSmall afterwards could've seen the numbers evened up. Would've been a complete travesty if he had gone in fairness - but them were his rules today

Was really impressed with Morley and O Sullivan today I didn't think theyd be up to it, and Moran in midfield is back to his best - we've a lot of unsolved match ups to sort

Bring COS in, push McCarthy into the middle with Fenton and Dermo for Scully. That would tighten up the middle of the field.

Gough actually went to take the card out and realised he'd already booked him. You could see him almost panicking and then decided to do nothing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement