Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    That's a bit much - look it, if he hadn't been fouled he could have scored a lot more.

He got two points from play. Which was more than 4 of the Dublin forwards. It was far from a mare.

For a man of his talent, who many think, will go on to be the greatest footballer of all time, he had a very poor day in front of the posts. He missed two absolute sitters, one near the end that could have put them in front when we were on the ropes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

For a man of his talent, who many think, will go on to be the greatest footballer of all time, he had a very poor day in front of the posts. He missed two absolute sitters, one near the end that could have put them in front when we were on the ropes.

He still had a big bearing on the game.

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    He still had a big bearing on the game.

Im afraid we will know all about it when he has a big bearing on a game. He could destroy us if he's on form.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭hankless

What happens if the next match ends in a draw? Extra time? And what if that's a draw too?

Very interested to see how Jim shakes things up now. I agree that COS should be brought in. I think Cooper will start again but won't be let near Clifford! To be honest I'd have Rory O'Carroll back in the team but seeing as he didn't make the bench yesterday means he's hardly likely to start the next one. But I'd have him on the bench.

Similarly I think Brogan should be on the bench. He would have been a huge impact sub yesterday if we had him.

For the Kerry goal chance that McCarthy cleared off the line with his legs it looked to me that Johny Cooper had fouled O Se in the square and i was worried the referee was going to give a penalty. Because Kerry had a shot on goal almost immediately the comnentators didn't even mention it but it looked like Cooper fouled O Se by pulling his jersey and bringing him to ground. Another example of how Cooper seemed all at sea yesterday and was walking a tightrope for the 30+ minutes he was on the field.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

From the moment Cooper miscontrolled that possession at the start and took a heavy shoulder to getting sent off he was totally at sea

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

hankless wrote: »
    What happens if the next match ends in a draw? Extra time? And what if that's a draw too?

I would presume extra time and replays until game is won. Like Meath v Dublin in 1991!

Kerry created lots of goal chances.

First half
    1 McCarthy saving on the line with his legs after Cooper looked to have fouled Se in square
    2 O Brien racing through and firing just over crossbar with left foot
    3 High ball in to square and Cooper gives away penalty. Big chance. Big miss

Second half
    1 Cluxton brilliant save and ball crashes off crossbar
    2 Another Kerry call for a penalty as O Brien seemed to be fouled in or just outside square. Looked a foul to me but referee waved play on as Dublin dispossesed him.
    3 Good goal by Spillane

Six worrying moments where Kerry breached our defense. If truth be told we were fortunate to not give away another penalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Slattsy wrote: »
    Thats kinda my point, Kerry had more chances, an extra man, and they still couldnt beat us.

44 minutes with an extra man was a huge advantage, and they didnt take it.

Im not sure about them not going for the jugular either, they couldnt, as we didnt allow them and we finished the game stronger.

But In the first half we had 15v15 and Kerry could of had at least 2 goals! They also had plenty of ( 8 ?)wides and some of them were just poor. If they fix that next day the extra man wouldn’t really matter. They also have the young legs and a decent bench to call on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Im afraid we will know all about it when he has a big bearing on a game. He could destroy us if he's on form.

Dublin were too nice and stand offish because of the knowledge that Kerry had psyched Gough.

Next day - hope it's Lane - but whoever. Old school. If you're on the edge then make it count. Kerry are masters of it. Dublin too. Cats in their pomp, Patriots, All Blacks. It's the ruthlessness that separates winners from losers. Dublin parked that yesterday for some reason, probably Gough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Christ, trying to watch the studio stuff on RTE player from yesterday and all I'm getting is Andy Moran scoring his goal against Dublin 13 years ago and pizza adverts.
    Filling me with rage......
    Aidan O'Rourke has a good write up on the RTE app. Reckons that Kerry are back and our demise is happening quicker than expected.
    I really think we will be a different animal in two weeks.
    If not....well Aidan just may be right.
    Still blown away by our team getting something out of that game yesterday. Really taught it was running away from in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭C__MC

Ken Tucky wrote: »
    Christ, trying to watch the studio stuff on RTE player from yesterday and all I'm getting is Andy Moran scoring his goal against Dublin 13 years ago and pizza adverts.
    Aidan O'Rourke has a good write up on the RTE app. Reckons that Kerry are back and our demise is happening quicker than expected.
    Still blown away by our team getting something out of that game yesterday. Really taught it was running away from in.

For 55 minutes Dublin had Kerry at arms length
    A freak goal from the keeper doing wonders and Davy Byrne spilling the ball, Dublin were in the ascendancy.
    Kerry tired by the 65th minute but floated back in huge numbers clogging up space; Dublin just couldn't open them up enough at that time.

But yes o Rourke is correct, Kerry are closing in on Dublin and with huge uncertainty after the replay of Dublin stalwarts, Kerry definitely can win a few in the next decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

C__MC wrote: »
    For 55 minutes Dublin had Kerry at arms length
    A freak goal from the keeper doing wonders and Davy Byrne spilling the ball, Dublin were in the ascendancy.
    Kerry tired by the 65th minute but floated back in huge numbers clogging up space; Dublin just couldn't open them up enough at that time.

But yes o Rourke is correct, Kerry are closing in on Dublin and with huge uncertainty after the replay of Dublin stalwarts, Kerry definitely can win a few in the next decade.

The Kerry goal had so many little things go their way

1. Drop slightly short
    2. Man down (if Byrne catches the ball play is probably stopped) - even the fact Small follows it in leaves us short
    3. Play isn't stopped for a head injury
    4. Ball is spilled (though to be fair he did well to get to it)

Its going to be some rivalry over the next few years

• Registered Users Posts: 13,125 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

I mentioned it a good few times yesterday after the game but we allowed Kerry to get into our half far to easy. I was watching the game at the time thinking wtf are we at letting them get so far up the pitch without a single challenge. Look at the amount of ball we won back from them near the end of the match why not do this earlier in the game when we had fresher legs and a full team on the pitch?

We where two down to Mayo at half time in the semi final but at least we where hounding them on the ball and not giving them so much space. I still maintain Kerry are a confidence team and they fall apart and go very quite when the game isnt going to plan for them. For all the talk of fantastic footballers and forwards they miss a lot in most games and score an awful lot of there points from soft set pieces. If Tyrone had not of bottled it in the second half of the semi final i question if Kerry would even of got to the final!

I really think Bernard and O Gara would of been perfect on that bench yesterday and one if not both of them should be there the next day.

Especially Brogan going into that last ten minutes someone with his class and composure on the ball if he got into a position he would of got us what could of been a vital score.

Dont get me wrong Connolly is an amazing player i was delighted to have him back but that long point he took on yesterday was a bit ridiculous. There the type he knocks over in an early season match with no pressure on him but not in an All Ireland final when every kick you take is vital.

Its clear the guy is still not himself and his game needs more then 5 or 10 minutes to get going. If your gonna have Kevin or Paddy on the bench when you know exactly what there going to give you at this stage why not Bernard? Why not Eoghan ?

I mentioned it a good few times yesterday after the game but we allowed Kerry to get into our half far to easy. I was watching the game at the time thinking wtf are we at letting them get so far up the pitch without a single challenge. Look at the amount of ball we won back from them near the end of the match why not do this earlier in the game when we had fresher legs and a full team on the pitch?

We where two down to Mayo at half time in the semi final but at least we where hounding them on the ball and not giving them so much space. I still maintain Kerry are a confidence team and they fall apart and go very quite when the game isnt going to plan for them. For all the talk of fantastic footballers and forwards they miss a lot in most games and score an awful lot of there points from soft set pieces. If Tyrone had not of bottled it in the second half of the semi final i question if Kerry would even of got to the final!

I really think Bernard and O Gara would of been perfect on that bench yesterday and one if not both of them should be there the next day.

Especially Brogan going into that last ten minutes someone with his class and composure on the ball if he got into a position he would of got us what could of been a vital score.

Dont get me wrong Connolly is an amazing player i was delighted to have him back but that long point he took on yesterday was a bit ridiculous. There the type he knocks over in an early season match with no pressure on him but not in an All Ireland final when every kick you take is vital.

Its clear the guy is still not himself and his game needs more then 5 or 10 minutes to get going. If your gonna have Kevin or Paddy on the bench when you know exactly what there going to give you at this stage why not Bernard? Why not Eoghan ?

Because their not going as well in training as the 26 that made it. Simple as that for me really. Jim picks on form and merit.

Because their not going as well in training as the 26 that made it. Simple as that for me really. Jim picks on form and merit.

McManamon and Andrews haven't exactly being at there best this season when used as subs or starters. O Gara and Brogan actually looked like they had a lot more in them when used against Tyrone.

I dont see the risk having at least one of them on the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

McManamon and Andrews haven't exactly being at there best this season when used as subs or starters. O Gara and Brogan actually looked like they had a lot more in them when used against Tyrone.
    Tbh, that's because there's been no real need for any impact subs by the time the bench was emptied. Even the Cork and Mayo games were effectively tied up by 55 minutes. So when those lads came on, they were just there to maintain the pace, not to change the game.

I thought before the match yesterday and I'm doubly sure of it now that Brogan should have Connolly's seat on the bench for the next match. Both matches Connolly has come on, made very little impact and kicked a couple of wides from far out.

Brogan would have been far more use in those last five minutes of wrestling for the ball in the Kerry end.

I dont see the risk having at least one of them on the bench.

Obviously Andrews and McManamon are going better than them. I don't see the point worrying about it. Jim picks the best 26 and it's always served us well.

seamus wrote: »
    Tbh, that's because there's been no real need for any impact subs by the time the bench was emptied. Even the Cork and Mayo games were effectively tied up by 55 minutes. So when those lads came on, they were just there to maintain the pace, not to change the game.

I thought before the match yesterday and I'm doubly sure of it now that Brogan should have Connolly's seat on the bench for the next match. Both matches Connolly has come on, made very little impact and kicked a couple of wides from far out.

Brogan would have been far more use in those last five minutes of wrestling for the ball in the Kerry end.

Maybe you know more than the Dublin management who see these men every day?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Were you drunk when you watched it? That was a card.

Gough was worth 6 points to them.

It’s a theatrical dive, it was a free but there wasn’t enough contact to cause that dramatic fall. If a yellow was given every time that happened there would be ten sending offs a game.

• Advertisement

I haven't seen enough of Connolly on the pitch since his return to know weather hes done at this level. If he was going to come back this year the time was at the very start to get him in there playing working his way back into his game back up to speed.

Five or ten minutes at the very end has been a waste of time for him and its hard to know how serious he is taking it when you imagine he more then likely wouldn't of even been here if the Boston thing had not of fell threw.

Connolly at his best or even close to his best you have him in there no doubt weather its twenty minutes or from the start. At the moment its more a case where your hoping he might pull off a moment of brilliance that is yet to happen!

Hopefully in the reply if needed prove me wrong!! :p

I dont like thinking to much about whats fair and loyalty etc etc but when you see how easy it was for Connolly to come back in there at the very last minute when there was clear doubts he ever seen coming back to the Dublin team as a first choice......

Its part of the reason i think about the likes of Bernard and how much the Dublin team means to him and how much himself and his family have given to Dublin football. You wonder will he actually get his chance to finish the way he deserves to. I seriously all messing aside don't think it would set Dublin back in anyway shape or form either!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Interesting how long it took to get Connolly on the pitch when he was being brought on. Didn't seem to be an admin / ref thing but more Gavin delaying to see what unfolded those minutes

BKWDR wrote: »
    Interesting how long it took to get Connolly on the pitch when he was being brought on. Didn't seem to be an admin / ref thing but more Gavin delaying to see what unfolded those minutes

Ya i taught that was a bit odd at the time was wondering what was holding it up.

Still think if hes to make an impact on the game he needs more then five minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭hankless

Does anyone know why the Artane Boys' Band didn't do a full lap? They more of less did a loop of the Davin half of the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,877 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Jesus Bonnie - big change in your mood from the relaxed post after midnight last night, to the "hot under the collar" post here. The hangover must be kicking in bad. It was explained clearly on the Sunday Game last night about the red card versus no red card. In nearly all cases, a player will not receive 2 yellows for just 2 fouls, unless they are pretty bad fouls. Cooper got his tick - his warning. Then there was a blatant foul on Clifford near the endline. And then finally when Clifford had out-maneuvered him by shielding him out of the way, Johnny caught hold of his arm and dragged him down. Third incident. Gone. It was different with O'Sullivan. He had two incidents of note. One warning. One yellow. I don't see how there can be any comparison or confusion.

On the various TV analysis, I don't think it was taken into context enough the difference that the sending off made. All were bigging the Kerry team up. Especially Spillane. Proud, great performance etc. I think if Dublin had the 15, they would have blown Kerry away. And I think they will do on Saturday week. I hope it's close, but I think Kerry have left it behind, big time.

O'Sullivan got pinged for a couple of other fouls on O'Callaghan that Rock pointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Its part of the reason i think about the likes of Bernard and how much the Dublin team means to him and how much himself and his family have given to Dublin football. You wonder will he actually get his chance to finish the way he deserves to. I seriously all messing aside don't think it would set Dublin back in anyway shape or form either!

This is Football not some emotive social media BS, you don't get the big finale to your career that you "deserve".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Bambi wrote: »
    This is Football not some emotive social media BS, you don't get the big finale to your career that you "deserve".

Ask Andy Moran.one of the best players to play the game and always the wrong side of the results in the final.
    It doesn’t always go the way it would in the films

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Ken Tucky wrote: »

It is up there with 1983 as a demonstration of Dublin refusal to bow the knee.

Never more proud of a Dublin team.

And the rest can go and kiss the proverbial.

Anyone who recognises courage and grace under pressure knows,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Yeah its a good spot. I was like yourself in wanting us to horse into them but that didn't seem to be part of the plan. We seemed to be corralling them into areas of the pitch that were more manageable for us. Complete guess on my part mind. Markers would go over and invite the player to try his luck on the outside instead of going in to win the ball back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

hankless wrote: »
    Does anyone know why the Artane Boys' Band didn't do a full lap? They more of less did a loop of the Davin half of the pitch.
    Ran out of time...game wouldn't have thrown in at 3.30 if they went all the way round.
    Mickey D took too long shaking hands(not really)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement