Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

I've re-watched the game this evening as its hard to get a handle on it in a pub. I watched it locally and it was grand until the last 10 mins when every fecker from the other 31 or just 1 wanted to cheer, shout, insult and ultimately run out the door when the final whistle went. I actually enjoyed that last 10 mins and felt comfortable. Kerry looked to either be in a shambles or without a plan they could sustain. Dublin looked a little panic struck in parts, but were in control overall during that spell.

Cooper? Jaysus lads, I think he got what he deserved in general, but the peno decision was harsh. I think Gough bottled it with O'Sullivan in the second half. He thought about it though, despite tick, yellow, tick or whatever. Don't think he had the stomach for two game changers.

On we go to a replay and I'm very confident Dublin will put Kerry to bed on Saturday week. Shades of the 2015 semi for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

I wasn’t watching it, but I heard that Spillane ended up being the voice of reason and Brolly went crazy about it.

On the red card Brolly made a fool out of himself by saying it was a free to Dublin and Ciaran Whelan (who i think is an excellent pundit) said it was never a red. Similiar to Shefflin at ht of the hurling final bizarrely trying to make a case that Hogan shouldn't have been sent off, Whelo just couldn't see it for what it was. I've been reading papers and listening to lots of radio and podcasts and the very large majority believe it was a red. I posted on here when it happened yesterday and said it was a red and his own fault. So yes Spillane thought it was a red but usually i'm not a fan of Spillane.

Grandeeod wrote: »
    I've re-watched the game this evening as its hard to get a handle on it in a pub. I watched it locally and it was grand until the last 10 mins when every fecker from the other 31 or just 1 wanted to cheer, shout, insult and ultimately run out the door when the final whistle went. I actually enjoyed that last 10 mins and felt comfortable. Kerry looked to either be in a shambles or without a plan they could sustain. Dublin looked a little panic struck in parts, but were in control overall during that spell.

Cooper? Jaysus lads, I think he got what he deserved in general, but the peno decision was harsh. I think Gough bottled it with O'Sullivan in the second half. He thought about it though, despite tick, yellow, tick or whatever. Don't think he had the stomach for two game changers.

On we go to a replay and I'm very confident Dublin will put Kerry to bed on Saturday week. Shades of the 2015 semi for me.

You could watch it from the comfort of home. Enjoy the build up. The punditry. The live commentary. Action replays. Nip out for a cup of tea and grub at the ht break. I did it for a change yesterday and it was enjoyable. Bit lonely though on my own but im off the drink so dont mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

mystic86 wrote: »
    sad.

More like sick as a small hospital.

Apologies for offending your sensibilities.

I'm normally a model of Zen like calm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭rm75

Drumpot wrote: »
    I was in Omaha and you could see how anxious brogan was to impress. He went nuts when somebody didn’t pass it to him for a goal Chance (can’t remember who), maybe that in itself didn’t please Gavin ? Giving out to a team mate who made a call that didn’t work out. They don’t usually argue or complain with each other on the pitch.

Thought he looked very sharp that day, admittedly more of an exhibition game. Dont really see the point in bringing people on with 67 gone, fair enough there were 7 mins injury time but bring on after 60 mins or earlier, usually take a few mins to get to the pitch of the game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Slattsy wrote: »
    Dublin Conor as he's known. Lovely.
    He's only 12 miles from the Kerry border

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Edgware wrote: »
    He's only 12 miles from the Kerry border

Ah they'll find some link to Dublin. Maybe he prefers Guinness to Murphy's, that'll do.

Watching the Sky coverage of game again and in the first 10 minutes John Small ballooned a ball so wide it nearly went out for a sideline, James McCarthy was slow and ponderous while solo-ing ball and lost possession, Mick Fitzimons the same two minutes later and in 10th minute P Mannion lets a simple C Kilkenny handpass hit his chest and spill the ball before Kerry win a free. Extremely sluggish and lucky to be 03 v 0-2 ahead as Clifford has already kicked three poor wides for a man of his outrageous talent.

Ciaran Whelan has changed his mind and agreed with Cooper's red. After watching lots of replays of it this morning he said he got it wrong yesterday.

Meanwhile Joe Brolly has also admitted he was wrong. Not only should it have been a free to Dublin as he said yesterday but Clifford should have been sent off as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Reminded me a bit of 2016 draw when he grabbed the ball from CK and went for mad shot from a sideline when recycling would have closed the game out.

Same yesterday. Kerry backs were on their uppers and moving the ball around, looking for a runner was the option. Fkn Captain Universe goes for one from 40 yards.

In fairness to the man, thought he won ye the all Ireland with his contribution off the bench in 2017. And I wouldn't be a big fan of his. Didn't go over obviously but it's fine margins, it lands and he's a hero and Gavin a mastermind. He's capable of scoring from there too.

• Advertisement

Don't mind me. "Tired and emotional" at the time.

He is of course brilliant player. No doubt. What he has done for Dublin on big days or for Vinnies when they won All Ireland the last time speaks for itself.

As you say, he put his balls on the line and might have won it. And as others above say, he is a ball winner and brave as fk.

Anyway, who am I to second guess either Gavin or DC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

It never ceases to amaze me how biased people can be. I think we were blessed on Sunday. Kerry really threw it away in the last 10 minutes.

Gough had a good game. I really hate the fetish for hyper-analysing refereeing performances.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

D9Male wrote: »
    It never ceases to amaze me how biased people can be. I think we were blessed on Sunday. Kerry really threw it away in the last 10 minutes.

Gough had a good game. I really hate the fetish for hyper-analysing refereeing performances.

Its a game in which both sides can be happy with a draw.

The last ten minutes can be read as Kerry throwing it away, or Dublin showing unbelievable tenacity and bravery to shut them down and stop keep ball.

In a game that ended as a draw, Dublin kicked 4/5 of their last shots wide and Kerry were in the Dublin 45 once (if even) in the last ten minutes. If the game had gone on another ten minutes there was only one winner.

If anything it was the first 10/20 minutes when Kerry should have been more up then they were. However the more after the game it is the more impressive our second half was - bar a ten minute spell (and a somewhat fortunate goal - the events not the finish) we more than matched Kerry who had an extra man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

Absolutely right. I think we did fantastically well in the game, particularly in the middle two quarters. I just think that Kerry will be kicking themselves as personally I think Dublin will win well next weekend. I find it difficult to imagine Fenton, McCarthy Mannion and Con being so quiet next time out. Sure Geaney and Clifford will also hope to step up, I just think there is far more room for Dublin improvement.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Keeping 15 on the field will mean a massive second half improvement, I think.

Kerry's discipline was generally much better, although Dublin were imperious in last quarter, forcing key turnovers without dragging and pulling. Exactly what Kerry had been doing up to their goal, after which they definitely looked a lot less sure of themselves.

I'd be tempted to start Murchan on that basis. Fitzsimons was generally composed as was Byrne despite the blunder for the goal - probably the key turning point that stopped Dublin winning.

They can't ignore Cooper and hope next day is different. They clearly targeted him and he looked unsettled, Problem is replacing him with who! Cian being most obvious choice but will he have the legs for such a contest? Could only see that working if Dublin set up more conservatively and Sullivan does his usual job of controlling the space and possession. Howard and/or Scully obviously fulfilling their normal role.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,758 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Kerry's discipline was generally much better, although Dublin were imperious in last quarter, forcing key turnovers without dragging and pulling. Exactly what Kerry had been doing up to their goal, after which they definitely looked a lot less sure of themselves.

I'd be tempted to start Murchan on that basis. Fitzsimons was generally composed as was Byrne despite the blunder for the goal - probably the key turning point that stopped Dublin winning.

They can't ignore Cooper and hope next day is different. They clearly targeted him and he looked unsettled, Problem is replacing him with who! Cian being most obvious choice but will he have the legs for such a contest? Could only see that working if Dublin set up more conservatively and Sullivan does his usual job of controlling the space and possession. Howard and/or Scully obviously fulfilling their normal role.

I hope Murchan starts ahead of Small - less likely to get carded
    And Brogan starts at least on the bench. He must be bursting gut to be given a chance. He could unleash all that frustration of missing an AI final on Kerry in the last 10/15 minutes.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Connolly for Scully would be my only change.

In the 2016 replay Dublin came out like men possessed and raced into a 4 point lead. I wonder will we see that same response or will we stick to the (rather deliberate imo) start conservatively/finish strongly route.

I wonder why Lowndes lost his place in the squad? Anyone know if he's injured atm?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Who marked Clifford when Cooper was off ? Whoever it was did a decent enough job.

I thought we'd beat Kerry by a couple of points on Sunday. That was my prediction. Although feeling relieved at the ft whistle the game has provided more questions than answers for me and the more i think about it the less confident i am for the replay.

We have problems at the back with McCarthy well off form and John Small a big liability. Cooper won't be as bad again you'd hope but he wont be on Clifford next day, that's for sure. Cian O Sullivan is not 100% fit by some accounts, if he doesn't recover that just adds to the problem. Murchan played well when introduced and the game had opened up but personally i wouldn't trust him to start on one of thise Kerry forwards. Philly seems to have lost a yard of pace also so no doubt Kerry will feel they can do damage to our backline and ithink they will.

Kerry really should have been 5 or 6 points up after 20 minutes and had our backline in all sorts of bother. They pressed the kick out and suffocated us around the middle. Hard to see Kerry being as profligate the next day.

MDMA was poor and again can he turn it around? Kerry midfield easily won the battle and maybe a change needed here with McCarthy going to midfield but he could be dominated in the air. Kerry will be kicking their lips if MDMA starts again. They were far to savvy and skillful for him. He is a weakness.

Our forwards i trust to really improve and do a lot of damage next day. We will create few more goal chances and probably need to take them. Im hoping our forwards can mask our deficiancies at the back because Geaney and Clifford are going to keep the scoreboard ticking over nicely this time i fear.

Still fancy Dublin, but by the bare minimum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,145 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

The reason why I think ye will win the replay(just) is that in that last 10 minutes Dublin looked like the team playing with 15v14.

Dublin showed they were a little human with few small panic moments but still kept composure for most of those last 10 plus stoppage time.

Ye will need to be wary of the Kerry start too. If ye keep them within bay and keep 15 on the field Dublin should have enough

The reason why I think ye will win the replay(just) is that in that last 10 minutes Dublin looked like the team playing with 15v14.

Dublin showed they were a little human with few small panic moments but still kept composure for most of those last 10 plus stoppage time.

Ye will need to be wary of the Kerry start too. If ye keep them within bay and keep 15 on the field Dublin should have enough

Keeping 15 on the field is not a formality with this team by any means. John Small fills me with dread every time he tackles and we are going for 4 All Irelands in a row now where me may have a man sent off. Very poor discipline and shows a lack of street smarts. MDMA has sailed close to the wind on many occassions and fortunate not to have seen the line on a couple of occassions in previous big games.

Keeping 15 on the field is not a formality with this team by any means. John Small fills me with dread every time he tackles and we are going for 4 All Irelands in a row now where me may have a man sent off. Very poor discipline and shows a lack of street smarts. MDMA has sailed close to the wind on many occassions and fortunate not to have seen the line on a couple of occassions in previous big games.

Then there is Connolly added to the mix if he comes on or starts, Philly is another who is a card magnet.
    Any of those lads gets a yellow card early it is a worry over each tackle after that.

I was sure Dublin would end with the bakers dozen and Small would be the next fella to get the line on Sunday as he was on a yellow.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Drumpot wrote:
    Who marked Clifford when Cooper was off ? Whoever it was did a decent enough job.

Fitzsimmons did a stint on him as did Howard.

Howard was brilliant. Maybe overshadowed by McCaffrey but he was vital when Dublin needed to win ball.

Clifford's point in the second half off Mick Fitz was special.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Fitzsimmons did a stint on him as did Howard.

Howard was brilliant. Maybe overshadowed by McCaffrey but he was vital when Dublin needed to win ball.

Clifford's point in the second half off Mick Fitz was special.

Yep it was a special point alright considering Fitz did everything right in making it hard for him..
    Taught Fitz was excellent when he went onto him. He may have to take that job on Saturday week. Dont envy him:(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Indo (rag) saying John Small and O'Sullivan could be doubtful for the replay.

While I would certainly have liked to see COS start, as we cant afford to play MDMA in midfield again, I do think Murchan can come in and do a job though.

Slattsy wrote: »
    Indo (rag) saying John Small and O'Sullivan could be doubtful for the replay.

While I would certainly have liked to see COS start, as we cant afford to play MDMA in midfield again, I do think Murchan can come in and do a job though.

Jayus getting down to bare bones so in key areas.
    McCarthy might get the nod in the middle if Jim thinks the same as you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

The strength of the Dublin benched is talked up. But someone pointed out to me afterwards that the Kerry bench had a much greater impact. Are their too many lads on the wane?

Hoping they can find a big 70 mins plus to see it tru

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

corny wrote: »
    Connolly for Scully would be my only change.

In the 2016 replay Dublin came out like men possessed and raced into a 4 point lead. I wonder will we see that same response or will we stick to the (rather deliberate imo) start conservatively/finish strongly route.

I wonder why Lowndes lost his place in the squad? Anyone know if he's injured atm?

I am coming around to the opinion too, that if Connolly is to be involved start him. Will add a spark no doubt, even if it's 50 minutes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Happy4all wrote: »

The strength of the Dublin benched is talked up. But someone pointed out to me afterwards that the Kerry bench had a much greater impact. Are their too many lads on the wane?

Hoping they can find a big 70 mins plus to see it tru

It depends how you measure impact, the Kerry players were on longer and scored more but only one team dominated the last 10 mins (with 14men). So if you measure impact solely by scoring yes they had a bigger impact but.......

Way way too much being read into this.

Also I really don't understand why Tommy Walsh kept standing in the forward line as a spare man when Kerry were playing keep ball.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement