Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,758 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Also I really don't understand why Tommy Walsh kept standing in the forward line as a spare man when Kerry were playing keep ball.

I still can't fathom why Kerry continued playing keep ball then. Simple word for the sideline from Keane to play the odd long ball or even quick ball - simple.

Kerry had Dublin down and they should not have let them back up.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Ah you'd miss Stoners insights after a match wouldn't ya. A big loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Watching the second half again with the Sky coverage and poor Davy Byrne got three slices of bad luck. Firstly when he brilliantly shepperded Geaney towards the end line, skillfully took the ball off him and was very unlucky to give away a 45'. Hard to know if it was a wide but umpire seemed adamant it went off Davy whose remonstrations fell on deaf ears.

When Murphy cannoned the ball off the crossbar, Geaney again was in the right place to catch the rebound but D Byrne executed a great block that unfortunately went out for another 45. Both 45's were scored by O Shea. With a bit of luck neither would have been conceded.

Finally for Kerry's game changing goal Davy Byrne read David Morans long ball to Tommy Walsh and got himself in the right position to make an interception. It looked like a catch for the ages but he fell awkwardly and spilled the ball when landing on the turf. 10 seconds later, Cluxton is picking the ball out of the net.

Davy Byrne had a great game and i gave him a generous 8/10. With a little more luck he'd have pushed McCaffrey for man of the match.

Slattsy wrote: »
    Ah you'd miss Stoners insights after a match wouldn't ya. A big loss.

Was thinking that, has he retired? He could hold his own in any of the county threads

Was thinking that, has he retired? He could hold his own in any of the county threads

Sadly killed in a hang gliding accident.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

You're a bad 'un.

Watching the second half again with the Sky coverage and poor Davy Byrne got three slices of bad luck. Firstly when he brilliantly shepperded Geaney towards the end line, skillfully took the ball off him and was very unlucky to give away a 45'. Hard to know if it was a wide but umpire seemed adamant it went off Davy whose remonstrations fell on deaf ears.

When Murphy cannoned the ball off the crossbar, Geaney again was in the right place to catch the rebound but D Byrne executed a great block that unfortunately went out for another 45. Both 45's were scored by O Shea. With a bit of luck neither would have been conceded.

Finally for Kerry's game changing goal Davy Byrne read David Morans long ball to Tommy Walsh and got himself in the right position to make an interception. It looked like a catch for the ages but he fell awkwardly and spilled the ball when landing on the turf. 10 seconds later, Cluxton is picking the ball out of the net.

Davy Byrne had a great game and i gave him a generous 8/10. With a little more luck he'd have pushed McCaffrey for man of the match.

Watching it again, he did everything right. Quite possible that had he stayed up Dublin might have engineered a score the other end.

Just shows how random sport is. You can't plan for things like that.

Overall he was brilliant, and showed great composure to pick himself up, literally, and carry on. Lots of people would have fallen apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Byrne is playing out the field far more than he has in the past. I didn't watch the highlights back to confirm but i don't remember seeing him in the fullback line at all in the game. Same in the Mayo game....thought he was even better against them.

Its hard to get a handle on what Dublin are doing tactically. They rotate like crazy at the back and seem to take turns making sorties forward. How they're always able to number up is a great credit to them. Takes discipline that. If you check Cliffords possessions for example you'll see he was faced up by Cooper, Fitzsimons, Howard, McCaffrey and McCarthy at different stages in the game. Fair play to the lads able to tell you his designated marker!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

corny wrote: »
    Byrne is playing out the field far more than he has in the past. I didn't watch the highlights back to confirm but i don't remember seeing him in the fullback line at all in the game. Same in the Mayo game....thought he was even better against them.

Its hard to get a handle on what Dublin are doing tactically. They rotate like crazy at the back and seem to take turns making sorties forward. How they're always able to number up is a great credit to them. Takes discipline that. If you check Cliffords possessions for example you'll see he was faced up by Cooper, Fitzsimons, Howard, McCaffrey and McCarthy at different stages in the game. Fair play to the lads able to tell you his designated marker!

Boils down to excellent communication. One up, one back.
    Thought Fitzsimmons did an excellent job on Clifford in the second half. I'd park him on him for the replay. Play Cooper on Geaney and let Byrne do his thing.

There is no need for panick stations. Kerry had 2 10 minute spells in that game and did well. Fair dues to them but it was painfully obvious that they couldn't keep that intensity up. Calm heads and a different defensive philosophy will get us over the line.

To me it had some similarities to the Donegal defeat. We let them through midfield too easy and gave up goal chances. That was a result of MDMA having an awful game and a strategy of allowing Kerry funnel forward and try catching them on the counter.

Jim will not make that mistake again. Kerry had the rub of the green, some favourable referring decisions and an extra man for over 40 minutes. Yet there was only one team going to win that game in the last 10 minutes.

As an aside, twas a great game of ball played in great spirit. Here's hoping the next day is half as good but with the right result ;)

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,125 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

JRant wrote: »
    Boils down to excellent communication. One up, one back.
    Thought Fitzsimmons did an excellent job on Clifford in the second half. I'd park him on him for the replay. Play Cooper on Geaney and let Byrne do his thing.

There is no need for panick stations. Kerry had 2 10 minute spells in that game and did well. Fair dues to them but it was painfully obvious that they couldn't keep that intensity up. Calm heads and a different defensive philosophy will get us over the line.

To me it had some similarities to the Donegal defeat. We let them through midfield too easy and gave up goal chances. That was a result of MDMA having an awful game and a strategy of allowing Kerry funnel forward and try catching them on the counter.

Jim will not make that mistake again. Kerry had the rub of the green, some favourable referring decisions and an extra man for over 40 minutes. Yet there was only one team going to win that game in the last 10 minutes.

As an aside, twas a great game of ball played in great spirit. Here's hoping the next day is half as good but with the right result ;)

I genuinely think if we sort the defensive issues from the last day the rest will click. We where comfortable at different stages in thr game even when Kerry where getting goal chances we where good enough to be 4 or 5 ahead.

For as good as some of there players are going forward they miss an awful lot in most games. For all the talk of Clifford O Shea is ridiculously important to them!

We where litrelly one step away more then once from putting it to bed. The sending off and the Kerry goal which where linked knocked us back both times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

No need for panic or over thinking...remember we were 5pts up before the sending off heading into half time with the plays building & building. Yes, Kerry left scores on the park in 1st half but that's the pressure of an All Ireland Final with every kick you have at goal. It's going to be no different in the replay.

It took Kerry everything with using their bench early to turn a 4pt half time deficit into a 1pt lead that left them legless for the last 5/7mins. We keep 15 men on the pitch some minor adjustments in camp over the next 10 days, maybe Brogan, O'Gara or Lowndes could make the bench and we will deliver No. 5!!!

No need for panic or over thinking...remember we were 5pts up before the sending off heading into half time with the plays building & building. Yes, Kerry left scores on the park in 1st half but that's the pressure of an All Ireland Final with every kick you have at goal. It's going to be no different in the replay.

It took Kerry everything with using their bench early to turn a 4pt half time deficit into a 1pt lead that left them legless for the last 5/7mins. We keep 15 men on the pitch some minor adjustments in camp over the next 10 days, maybe Brogan, O'Gara or Lowndes could make the bench and we will deliver No. 5!!!

I was not confident at all going into Sunday's game.
    But after it I am very confident.
    Why? - Jim Gavin sounded very annoyed with the performance by Jim Gavin interview standards. :D
    He sounded like he was going to lift the players out of it in his own way.

A lot of Dublin players have points to prove, and it is in thier nature to raise thier game because they are competitive animals. Dublin will be very careful in how they manage the game this time calling on all thier experience.

Plus I think Kerry have played thier hand now they have no more surprises.
    It almost takes some of the pressure off Dublin as they were given a reprieve to try again. When really they should be gone.

Also Dublin have options to change things Connolly, Brogan, Murchan, Costello, Lowndes, even O'Gara! Plus I expect Dublin to vary thier approach to the game different match ups and different tempo.
    Could Bugler or McDaid get a surprise place on the bench? I doubt it but you never know.

Because Kerry came so close to winning the first Sam for most of them - I think the pressure is on them now. The same level is expected, they are cocky have the chests out. But they have to lift themselves again.
    However, the mixture of expectancy, cockiness while trying to find consistency of performance, is a potent mixture. And a harder one to manage for inexperienced younger players.

I believe that Kerry are next year's team - nearly there but not yet.
    Dublin will have dipped another bit by next year to allow Kerry to overtake them that is my prediction. Another year will be a long time in the development of Kerry and the fading of Dublin.

Would be assured by how composed and aggressive they were in last quarter. Really was an heroic performance, right up there with 1983.

Of course they are getting little credit for that outside of Dublin, but that's neither here nor there. Its a reflection possibly of the belief on the part of those who desperately wanted Dublin to be beaten that they think the chance is gone.

Not so sure. I didn't think the last day was going to settle down into a game in which Dublin controlled the tempo, and I think there is equal capacity for the next day to turn on something from left field - penalties, cards, injuries, whatever.

Dublin have defensive problems and will have to do something to resolve them or we will be in trouble again.

You just have to sit back and enjoy it all don't ya.

First time i've watched the game back. Its all been said but the running from the Dublin players in injury time is jaw dropping. How the **** can they sprint for so long! Kerry weren't half bad either but a few of their starters looked a little jaded.

Nothing wrong with Connolly either. He made a few of super runs but wasn't found. Start him Jim.

I can see merit in that as it would throw them. But who would you drop?

Scully made a few howlers but was effective otherwise. Actually come to think of it, JG might advise him not to try for points. Missed one against Mayo too when foot was on their throat.

I'd be inclined not to change things too much.

Looked at it again today - I know, I am sad fker - and thought McCarthy was main one who looked slightly fazed by the occasion. 5/6 uncharacteristic turnovers, but he recovered and was key to almost winning it.

Another thing was Dublin seemed to be caught again as against Mayo by early aggression epitomised by the brilliant dispossessions of Mick fitz and Cooper. Just looked a bit slow. But that was to be expected perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Ah they'll find some link to Dublin. Maybe he prefers Guinness to Murphy's, that'll do.
    I heard that he loves watching Mrs. Brown's boys

• Registered Users Posts: 4,653 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Have heard from a reliable source that Fenton has an issue with his back.Could that explain his uncharacteristically quiet display on Sunday?

No, you didn't.

Good luck now. Exit is on right.

Bonniedog wrote: »
    I can see merit in that as it would throw them. But who would you drop?

Scully made a few howlers but was effective otherwise. Actually come to think of it, JG might advise him not to try for points. Missed one against Mayo too when foot was on their throat.

I'd be inclined not to change things too much.

Looked at it again today - I know, I am sad fker - and thought McCarthy was main one who looked slightly fazed by the occasion. 5/6 uncharacteristic turnovers, but he recovered and was key to almost winning it.

Another thing was Dublin seemed to be caught again as against Mayo by early aggression epitomised by the brilliant dispossessions of Mick fitz and Cooper. Just looked a bit slow. But that was to be expected perhaps.

Bar his nice ball over the top for McCaffreys goal i didn't see Scully contributing. What is he effective at?

• Advertisement

He has played well all year in similar role to Howard, and linkman for attacks. Was in middle of a lot of the moves in the third quarter against Mayo. Shot selection has gone to fk. Should have probably got a goal against Mayo when he blasted over.

Other than that, he puts in good honest shift and was not one who was being turned over on Sunday. Wouldn't not start him.

Have heard from a reliable source that Fenton has an issue with his back.Could that explain his uncharacteristically quiet display on Sunday?

You can't pull the wool over our eyes :D
    I didn't hear that if is true might explain it but the three man kerry midfield had something to do with it I think.

Looks like we have a wolf in sheeps clothing here. For the lamb of god you're not taking away the sins of the world, you're adding to them. Trot on wooly wum!

Bonniedog wrote: »
    He has played well all year in similar role to Howard, and linkman for attacks. Was in middle of a lot of the moves in the third quarter against Mayo. Shot selection has gone to fk. Should have probably got a goal against Mayo when he blasted over.

Other than that, he puts in good honest shift and was not one who was being turned over on Sunday. Wouldn't not start him.

I don't know. I'm not seeing that.

The majority of the game seems to pass him by. I think he gets lumped in with Howard too readily when in actual fact there's a world of difference between their contributions on and off the ball.

He doesn't get on the ball often enough to call him a link man. CK is a link man. He's not tremendously dogged working back either. He gets through work but thats the bare minimum for a Dublin half forward. I'd want something more. Last year he had goals. This year (at least in semi and final) he's given passive, often error strewn performances.

I don't know if Connolly is the same player i remember or not but if he's anywhere close to his best he'd surely add more in the game.

corny wrote: »
    I don't know. I'm not seeing that.

The majority of the game seems to pass him by. I think he gets lumped in with Howard too readily when in actual fact there's a world of difference between their contributions on and off the ball.

He doesn't get on the ball often enough to call him a link man. CK is a link man. He's not tremendously dogged working back either. He gets through work but thats the bare minimum for a Dublin half forward. I'd want something more. Last year he had goals. This year (at least in semi and final) he's given passive, often error strewn performances.

I don't know if Connolly is the same player i remember or not but if he's anywhere close to his best he'd surely add more in the game.

Agree re Scully and said it in my highly regarded and multiple award winning post match review.

I do like Scully, he spends most of the game dragging his marker all over the pitch, combined with an awful lot of tracking etc, so its not like he doesnt put in a shift.

But unlike last year, he's not getting any scores on the board and he doesnt seem to be even getting into those positions. Maybe its a Gavin tactic, who knows, but i certainly think we can afford to have someone a bit more attacking minded in there. I said Costello was the obvious candiate, but Connolly could slot in there. That would throw a cat amongst the Croke Park seagulls.

BonnieSituation hasnt been seen since Sunday. Presumed kipnapped by a group of Tralee lads.

The Sackville Lounge reopened this week, thats why I thought of him. :)

BonnieSituation hasnt been seen since Sunday. Presumed kipnapped by a group of Tralee lads.

Sackville back open? Great little watering hole. Have had many a day time drink there.

I'd say there's a better chance of getting a ticket for the replay. I'll go if i get one. Some Kerry lads so tight they only budget for one trip to the capital every year. Even a final replay wont loosen the poockets for some. No minor game should release few thousand tickets also. Ex pats from the US and Britain and worldwide that cant make it again will release more. Not sure what affect the 6pm throw in time on a Saturday will have but I'm hopeful of sourcing a golden ticket.

There'll be more for sure. Still a full take up by Kerry.

Minors, overseas, various committees won't get any or as many, and I would say corporate eventers not be as many so more genuine supporters will get access to more of them.

Was brilliant atmosphere at 2016 replay as it was almost all Mayo and Dublin. Flood lights probably be on as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,066 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Ding dong.

I've just spent the morning catching up on my correspondence and trading through the thread.

Only just coming around after a serious day out on Sunday.

Loads to say about the game, but that can wait til later, but I'm off the view that our goal a the greatest I've ever seen.

The catch from Howard was just incredible. He was remarkable all around the park and is just so hard to dispossess.

No real nerves for the replay. Feel their load has been shot somewhat.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement