Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

I always get the feeling there's someone watching you in Croker on a Tele somewhere...:rolleyes:

I wore my navy Armotts ensemble Sunday, found it quite easy to pick myself out in a sea of light blue on the hill.. but anyways I never thought of that PD how the powers that be could tune down the 4G network

• Registered Users Posts: 19,066 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

ProudDUB wrote: »
    It's downright impossible most times, especially in the seats closer to the pitch. Croke Park deliberately block the signal (don't ask me how, I'm not a tech head) close to game time, for the front half of all the Lower stands. This will affect your own personal interweb on your phone/tablet device, as well as the Croke Park wifi. I presume it's to stop people illegally filming games & streaming them live on Skype, or Cric or whatever.

This is explains so so so much. Cheers.

Stoner wrote: »
    We do. I told you I slum it for the Dubs. Can't be bringing Heffos into the box (premium is a Corolla, a Box is a Mercedes)

The box is for marveling at Kerry a full tilt, or watching Mayo draw games or seperating me from Tyrone/ Jayop style fans.

You were warned about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

You were warned about this.

The marvelous was just for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,184 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

It's downright impossible most times, especially in the seats closer to the pitch. Croke Park deliberately block the signal (don't ask me how, I'm not a tech head) close to game time, for the front half of all the Lower stands. This will affect your own personal interweb on your phone/tablet device, as well as the Croke Park wifi. I presume it's to stop people illegally filming games & streaming them live on Skype, or Cric or whatever.

Interesting, I know there was some issue with Cinemas that used to do the same, think they had to stop doing it as you could have doctors on call etc that need their phones at all times.

• Advertisement

PARlance wrote: »
    Interesting, I know there was some issue with Cinemas that used to do the same, think they had to stop doing it as you could have doctors on call etc that need their phones at all times.

That was a full block of the signal. Croker seem to be doing it on the "data" side. Which is okay from that POV.

Side note: Why were all these doctors going to the cinema while on call?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,343 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Nothing to do with Croke Park restricting anything, just the increased number of users in one area would over load the cell towers. The mobile operators could put more towers in to deal with the problem, but it's only a problem on match days, so isn't worth it financially.

Same with most routers for WiFi, you'd need a pretty expensive router to cut through the increased WiFi noise in Croke Park, so the only reliable way to get a signal is to just be closer to the router, essentially.

Of course, the mobile network dropping my phone is actually useful for me most times I'm in Croke Park, my brother has a nasty habit of waiting until the national Anthem or the minutes silence starts, and then bombarding me with calls to make sure I've got my phone on silent. A***hole.

That was a full block of the signal. Croker seem to be doing it on the "data" side. Which is okay from that POV.

Data makes sense so.

Because it's better than them going to the pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Because you can still be on call (for emergencies and what not) even on your day off, when you are at de flicks wit yer chungwan.

CatInABox wrote: »
    Nothing to do with Croke Park restricting anything, just the increased number of users in one area would over load the cell towers. The mobile operators could put more towers in to deal with the problem, but it's only a problem on match days, so isn't worth it financially.

Same with most routers for WiFi, you'd need a pretty expensive router to cut through the increased WiFi signal in Croke Park, so the only reliable way to get a signal is to just be closer to the router, essentially.

Of course, the mobile network dropping my phone is actually useful for me most times I'm in Croke Park, my brother has a nasty habit of waiting until the national Anthem or the minutes silence starts, and then bombarding me with calls to make sure I've got my phone on silent. A***hole.

I used to think that. But there's a noticeable drop off before Throw-in and before the second half starts. HT is relatively grand.

You would think that this would be the opposite

• Advertisement

Because you can still be on call (for emergencies and what not) even on your day off, when you are at de flicks wit yer chungwan.

Hmmmmmmmmm... I just meant that they're always used as the example and it seems to me that it's a particular problem for them. ie. Doctors go to the cinema loads.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,343 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I used to think that. But there's a noticeable drop off before Throw-in and before the second half starts. HT is relatively grand.

You would think that this would be the opposite

More people taking and sending photos around then. Half the crowd are heading to the toilet or the bar at half time.

Voice calls are separate to the data, and the data is the real killer, so voice calls are harder to knock off. For comparison, a voice call is usually around 12 kbps, while a VOIP call (Skype or Whatsapp) is around 128 kbps. Sending photos, videos and checking the scores on websites will also increase the load on a tower.

The closer you are to a tower in those conditions, the more chance you've got of getting through.

Hmmmmmmmmm... I just meant that they're always used as the example and it seems to me that it's a particular problem for them. ie. Doctors go to the cinema loads.

People on call can't go drinking, and there's not much else to do in Ireland :pac:

Same with most routers for WiFi, you'd need a pretty expensive router to cut through the increased WiFi noise in Croke Park, so the only reliable way to get a signal is to just be closer to the router, essentially.

'Tis deliberately blocked. Was at a Leadership conference there recently. (Now, there's fancy for you. :p ) We were all having a bitch about how bad the internet access is on match day (be it your own, or theirs) and got the skinny directly from the horses mouth, as it were.

When it is available, the sheer volume of users does make a difference. But when three o'clock comes, there is behind the scenes jiggerypokery going on, to keep you and your mates from discussing just how downright weird those Beyonce babby pictures are. :rolleyes:

More people taking and sending photos around then. Half the crowd are heading to the toilet or the bar at half time.

Voice calls are separate to the data, and the data is the real killer, so voice calls are harder to knock off. For comparison, a voice call is usually around 12 kbps, while a VOIP call (Skype or Whatsapp) is around 128 kbps. Sending photos, videos and checking the scores on websites will also increase the load on a tower.

The closer you are to a tower in those conditions, the more chance you've got of getting through.

Aye I know this. It just seems counter-intuitive that people would use their phones less at HT for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Nice and quiet here. A good sign.

Is there a date pencilled in for the quarter final yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Slattsy wrote: »

Saturday 5th 17.00

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Slattsy wrote: »

Saturday 5th 17.00

I'll be on Cape Clear at that time, eating coddle to prove my provenance. Thought they might give us a Monday day out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

It's very quiet we are talking about UARTs next.

Old modems squealing away.

Anyone know anyone trying to dodge a ban? Preferably a Northsider or maybe someone from Tallaght.

• Advertisement

Oh seeing as it's so quiet I'll start a Celeb Sightings piece -- Dermo spotted at Longitude by the young lad as they mingled in the VIP

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Oh seeing as it's so quiet I'll start a Celeb Sightings piece -- Dermo spotted at Longitude by the young lad as they mingled in the VIP

Paid for from the GAA coffers no doubt. Typical Dubs, everything paid for.

Dermo at Longitude... he would want to sort out his latitude.

He was at Sea Sessions too. He'll be well rested by the time he returns, that's for sure.
    naughtb4 wrote: »
    Saturday 5th 17.00

Is the 5pm start time confirmed anywhere?

He was at Sea Sessions too. He'll be well rested by the time he returns, that's for sure.

Is the 5pm start time confirmed anywhere?

If it's Saturday football and it's a double header I'd find it unlikely we'll be on at 5.00 - the qualifiers next week are at 5 & 7

• Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭donkey balls

If it's Saturday football and it's a double header I'd find it unlikely we'll be on at 5.00 - the qualifiers next week are at 5 & 7

Last years qtr final was played on a Saturday at 6Pm 2015 was on a Sunday at 4 Pm, The thoughts of having the game on the bank holiday Monday would kill me as I be working the Tuesday:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,877 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Last years qtr final was played on a Saturday at 6Pm 2015 was on a Sunday at 4 Pm, The thoughts of having the game on the bank holiday Monday would kill me as I be working the Tuesday:eek:

https://crokepark.ie/match-day/2017-season-fixtures

The Croke Park website seems to have us as the second game on the Saturday. The hurling semi is on the Sunday, which makes sense.

blanch152 wrote: »
    https://crokepark.ie/match-day/2017-season-fixtures

The Croke Park website seems to have us as the second game on the Saturday. The hurling semi is on the Sunday, which makes sense.

Yeah Blanch we're definitely out on the 5th - I'd just question the time tho. Last year was a 6.00 throw in, I think that was to accommodate the Donegal supporters long trek home - Saturday afternoon traffic is a dog in Dublin, I'd be very surprised if the games are at 3&5, unless its to coincide with the soccer in Aviva @ 5.15

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

I sincerely hope that the GAA's timing of the quarter finals will not be influenced by some English soccer team!

• Advertisement

Bonniedog wrote: »
    I sincerely hope that the GAA's timing of the quarter finals will not be influenced by some English soccer team!

I would be in agreement :D - I was thinking that the Gardai may have a traffic plan which they want to condense into a 3-4 hour slot and their hand might be forced.

Gardai resources will be required later for Saturday Fight Night live in Temple Bar

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement