Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Howard was excellent the last day but he was very close to losing the ball a couple of times after doing a few side steps and shimmies. He brought the ball into contact with three Kerry players at one stage mid way through the second half and was fortunate to have won a free. He has a great side step but shrewd men like those Kerry buckos will have learned a lot and i fear he may run down a cul de sac or two the next day. It is a pretty high risk game at times. High reward too if it works out. Just a word of caution The 'Howard Shimmy' could blow up bigtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,877 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Ding dong.

I've just spent the morning catching up on my correspondence and trading through the thread.

Only just coming around after a serious day out on Sunday.

Loads to say about the game, but that can wait til later, but I'm off the view that our goal a the greatest I've ever seen.

The catch from Howard was just incredible. He was remarkable all around the park and is just so hard to dispossess.

No real nerves for the replay. Feel their load has been shot somewhat.

Have watched the goal a couple of times again, it was a thing of beauty.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Howard was excellent the last day but he was very close to losing the ball a couple of times after doing a few side steps and shimmies. He brought the ball into contact with three Kerry players at one stage mid way through the second half and was fortunate to have won a free. He has a great side step but shrewd men like those Kerry buckos will have learned a lot and i fear he may run down a cul de sac or two the next day. It is a pretty high risk game at times. High reward too if it works out. Just a word of caution The 'Howard Shimmy' could blow up bigtime.

Nah. If you have it in the locker... use it.

He did make that look ridiculously easy. Tommy Walsh actually gave up trying to get a hand on him.

After Howards outrageous catch i would have been more disappointed if Dublin didn't go on to score a goal. We had beat the 'press' at last and had the overlap with the games fastest man moving like a human Concorde. Great goal but the Kerry defense (what was left of it) opened like the Red Sea.

corny wrote: »
    Nah. If you have it in the locker... use it.

He did make that look ridiculously easy. Tommy Walsh actually gave up trying to get a hand on him.

Running into contact with three Kerry men is not best practise and looking for trouble. I hope not to see that the next day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,066 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

These are the exact situations I was talking about. Somehow he brought the ball into contact, sucked in a couple of guys, turned out - all without fouling the ball - then whacked it into a man in space. It was remarkable.

The catch though. Hmmmm.

Watching the 2016 drawn final again and i actually forgot that Cooper got black carded afyer 19 minutes for a most stupid trip on O Shea with his hands while on the ground. And J Small miraculously escaped the same punishment for the same type of petulent hand trip after only 10 minutes. Bit of a liability both players.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,758 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Watching the 2016 drawn final again and i actually forgot that Cooper got black carded afyer 19 minutes for a most stupid trip on O Shea with his hands while on the ground. And J Small miraculously escaped the same punishment for the same type of petulent hand trip after only 10 minutes. Bit of a liability both players.

Yep, they have form that is for sure.
    I would love to know what Gavin is saying to them or does he just say nothing and give them a look?

If it was me I would drop the two of them - maybe even move Howard back (was magic the last day there with 14 men) - start Brogan or Connolly instead.
    Then get Murchan in for Small.

Obviously Connolly has a tendency to do silly stuff as well as the great stuff - but the reward outweighs the risk - like his attempt of the long point the last day which nearly landed the score.

Off the top of my head I can't remember Murchan doing any silly stuff when he played. Was he in the running for MOM in last years AI final v Tyrone?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Wooly had a good stat on his show talking about Connollys effort...the last man to shoot outside the 45 was Connolly himself in 2016. We've gone three years with no shooting from range.

FWIW Connolly was right to take it on. Too many of our forwards were passing the buck.
    -Kev Mc didn't seem like he could beat a man. He's lacked that punch for a while now truth be told
    -Paddy Small refused to try
    -Ciaran Kilkenny made it obvious he was gonna hand pass every possession
    -And our inside line were seriously crowded out. Kerry knew that stat above and camped themselves close to goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Was Connolly's effort in 2016 not the sideline he had taken away from Kilkenny?

Dublin would have won that day by retaining possession.

Last Sunday was also a day to work the ball in close when they had Kerry on the back foot.

• Advertisement

Bonniedog wrote: »

Was that outside the 45 or did you just ask the question to link to the second bit?

Wooly had a good stat on his show talking about Connollys effort...the last man to shoot outside the 45 was Connolly himself in 2016. We've gone three years with no shooting from range.

FWIW Connolly was right to take it on. Too many of our forwards were passing the buck.
    -Kev Mc didn't seem like he could beat a man. He's lacked that punch for a while now truth be told
    -Paddy Small refused to try
    -Ciaran Kilkenny made it obvious he was gonna hand pass every possession
    -And our inside line were seriously crowded out. Kerry knew that stat above and camped themselves close to goal.

Dublin would have won that day by retaining possession.

Last Sunday was also a day to work the ball in close when they had Kerry on the back foot.

Is this the one youse are on about from the 2016 drawn game there was less than 3 minutes normal time left - he was way out on the right Cusack side (@17:19 on the clip)

Got the ball spun turned left foot - bang. The funny part was it seemed even the camera man did not expect him to shoot from there no time to zoom in.

As an aside, Ger Canning seems to have the ability to ruin any game!

Its not on that. It was just before the last sequence from the Mayo kickout leading to COC's equaliser.

Dublin had sideline about 40 yards out on Hogan side. CK had ball and was looking around for a short pass when DC basically grabbed ball from his hands and went for a point.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,066 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Its not on that. It was just before the last sequence from the Mayo kickout leading to COC's equaliser.

Dublin had sideline about 40 yards out on Hogan side. CK had ball and was looking around for a short pass when DC basically grabbed ball from his hands and went for a point.

I remember that.

I remember that.

Ah right I found it now on the full match @1:54:00

It seemed to be a fairly similar spot to where Rock took the free the last day.

Rock hooked his to the left and Connolly dragged his just as badly to the right.

Tomas O'Se has figured out that Dublin are not machines.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/toms-s-dublins-aura-has-slipped-the-fear-is-gone-the-final-proved-that-these-are-men-not-machines-38475328.html

I dunno maybe Tomas was on to something in the first place thinking Dublin are machines.
    74XO93P.png

A bit of re-calibration. and all circuits will firing again next week

Ah right I found it now on the full match @1:54:00

It seemed to be a fairly similar spot to where Rock took the free the last day.

Rock hooked his to the left and Connolly dragged his just as badly to the right.

Game was over if they held possession for up to a minute or drew a free. More the way Connolly grabbed the ball that annoyed me at the time.

Game was over if they held possession for up to a minute or drew a free. More the way Connolly grabbed the ball that annoyed me at the time.

Didn't he do that in another big game? (can't remember which one it was)
    Grabbed the ball from whoever was set to take the free, and nailed it over the bar.
    I doubt the dublin players would put up with a fella grabbing the ball. if it was any other player. Was waiting for him to do the same with Rock last Sunday.
    Would have been interesting if Rock would have let him take it.

I would suggest - with no inside knowledge whatsoever I hasten to add as I know nothing about what goes on there - that maybe such things played a part in his taking a back seat until last month. It is hardly a state secret that at least one of the main men on the line was not happy when this was suggested earlier in the year.

Which of course is why certain ABDs are talking all that stuff up about trouble in the camp around his return. There is no way Gavin would have that sort of tension around so I assume its been sorted. Happened before when personal issues threatened to boil over.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭munster87

You could see at the time that Kilkenny didn’t want Connolly anywhere near the line ball. Kilkenny would have found a man by playing the ball back and no need for a reply more than likely.

• Advertisement

No problem with Connolly taking the line ball. Kilkenny had coughed up possession twice in the sequence before and looked shattered. Connolly takes the responsibility away from him and you can see his head moving looking for an option. I was sitting right in front of that and i can tell you no one moved. In keeping with the malaise the team showed on the day. Connolly kicked it dead. Mayo kicked out and moved the ball with ease down the pitch. Who was the first one to get a tackle in? Connolly, who'd worked all the way from the far side to get a tackle in on Parsons. Hindsight is great but i'd be shouting at the lot of them if i was in charge.

Some absolutely mad results in SHC.

Boden beat Setanta by 42 points! O'Tooles, one of the former great teams of Dublin hurling, hammered by 25 by Fianna. Cuala and Crokes also won easily.

Certainly not a case of rising tide lifting all boats. Na Fianna on back of a lot of underage success only team looking like they might challenge the top 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

No problem with Connolly taking the line ball. Kilkenny had coughed up possession twice in the sequence before and looked shattered. Connolly takes the responsibility away from him and you can see his head moving looking for an option. I was sitting right in front of that and i can tell you no one moved. In keeping with the malaise the team showed on the day. Connolly kicked it dead. Mayo kicked out and moved the ball with ease down the pitch. Who was the first one to get a tackle in? Connolly, who'd worked all the way from the far side to get a tackle in on Parsons. Hindsight is great but i'd be shouting at the lot of them if i was in charge.

That's some serious revisionist BS going on there. What Connolly did was one of the stupidest, most selfish things I've ever seen him do & that's saying something.

I know he can do no wrong in some people's eyes, but come on now. We had that game won, yet he virtually handed the ball straight back to Mayo on a platter to tie it up 30 seconds later. So bloody what if he got a tackle in on Tom Parsons? He wouldn't have had to get any tackles in on anyone, if he let Kilkenny keep the ball & simply orchestrate keeping possession (CK's area of expertise after all) until the final whistle blew. Still makes my blood boil 3 years later !

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Some absolutely mad results in SHC.

Boden beat Setanta by 42 points! O'Tooles, one of the former great teams of Dublin hurling, hammered by 25 by Fianna. Cuala and Crokes also won easily.

Certainly not a case of rising tide lifting all boats. Na Fianna on back of a lot of underage success only team looking like they might challenge the top 4.

Brigids bearing Judes by 15 odd points after being a point down in the first half as well.

They'll have to regrade same as they did with football when there were 32 teams. 16 is too much.

Just look at the Kilkenny championship. Even clubs with no county seniors don't get beaten by 42 points! It can't be good for overall standard which reflects on county teams as players are only getting one or two competitive games all year in club.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    That's some serious revisionist BS going on there. What Connolly did was one of the stupidest, most selfish things I've ever seen him do & that's saying something.

I know he can do no wrong in some people's eyes, but come on now. We had that game won, yet he virtually handed the ball straight back to Mayo on a platter to tie it up 30 seconds later. So bloody what if he got a tackle in on Tom Parsons? He wouldn't have had to get any tackles in on anyone, if he let Kilkenny keep the ball & simply orchestrate keeping possession (CK's area of expertise after all) until the final whistle blew. Still makes my blood boil 3 years later !

Only fools are swayed by that emphatic style of yours. I'm not.

Like i said Kilkenny was lucky to keep possession twice in the sequence prior. Durcan dispossessed him and he fumbled a pass down by his feet. You could question a player making uncharacteristic mistakes couldn't you? Also, if the players didn't move for Connolly i don't see why they'd move for Kilkenny. Connolly takes the ball and looks for an option. He doesn't have eyes for the goal until none present themselves..... so he backs himself as the best option. I've no problem with that. Especially from a player who has a history of deciding games when they're in the melting pot. No hero worship or revisionism involved. I've often criticised Connolly in the past and i thought the same thing in September 2016.

Him getting a tackle in on Parsons is significant, even though you're blind to the fact. The team had ample opportunity to set themselves for the kickout and no one bothers. It was a lazy, passive display from Dublin on the day and what happened here was in keeping with the trend. It wasn't like Mayo had to do much to force the equaliser.

The parachuting of Connolly back into the panel which led indirectly to the axing of Bernard Brogan from the match-day squad, allied to his treatment of the replacements, has left a lot of unhappy campers inside the tent.

Spillane at it again.

Brolly has his number alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,845 ✭✭✭billyhead

Will tickets go on general sale for Saturday?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭rolling boh

think some will go on sale though have not heard what the demand is like comparison to the last day but might be less neutrals going this time with the extra costs it should free up tickets a bit .Even the last day a few tickets seem to have been floating around though most i saw were for different parts so might not suit someone looking to bring a couple of younger fans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Weather forecast looks good Friday through to Saturday.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement