Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

I got to admit if I was a Kerry person I would feel aggrieved with the Dublin goal yesterday

Yeah, just watched it back. Too many steps by about twenty lol!!
    Wonder if Lane let it go because of Moran's hand on Murchans shoulder.
    Should have been a free out...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Ken Tucky wrote: »
    I got to admit if I was a Kerry person I would feel aggrieved with the Dublin goal yesterday

He gave advantage in it, at worst it was a free in. I have a strange inkling they restart the steps after a foul, though even at that 20 seems excessive!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

Maybe, but if I were a Kerry person those feelings would be counter-balanced by the relief that the referee did not give a clear penalty when Con O'Callaghan was fouled. If had been at the other end it is hard to imagine that the Sunday Game would have lacked a single mention of the incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Trey13

Yeah I just mentioned all the 2011 crop (on the Kerry v Dublin thread) that are nearing the end now from the Dublin panel.
    About 10 of them
    Cluxton, Fitzsimons, O'Sullivan, Brogan, McMahon. MacCauley, McManamon, O'Carroll, O'Gara, Connolly
    Jayus those lads are going be missed the panel will definitely be weaker
    I don't buy into this myth that Dublin have had a huge turnover of players, where people only focus on the starting 15.
    When you look at the panel as a whole it is the same core that are/were keeping the show on the road.

100% agree. That 2011 group are a special group and it’s amazing to think they’ve come through until 2019. The last 8 years will go down as our finest era and I’m so proud to be a Dub.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Anyone see the handbag stuff between young Kerry supporters and Dub supporters on the Hill after the match?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,758 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

O'Rourke said 12 on TSG and joked that they were only small steps.
    Lane was distracted by playing advantage - that was what he was focused on.
    It says to me there should definitely be another official keeping an eye on this things.
    A GAA equivalent to VAR. I remember being very annoyed over Mulligan's goal in 05 and was even more annoyed when people were praising it.
    I can hardly do the same with Murchan's goal when it was even more blatant.

I think Keegan did something similar for Mayo in the league I seem to remember - was it a point that kept them up?
    Personally I think there should be a man in the stands watching for steps and the like to help the ref.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Anyone see the handbag stuff between young Kerry supporters and Dub supporters on the Hill after the match?

Saw the video. One of the Kerry lads has talent as a boxer. Fine flurry he let loose.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,125 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Seen online there homecoming won't be for another two weeks. In Merrion Square as well nothing confirmed yet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭munster87

I think Keegan did something similar for Mayo in the league I seem to remember - was it a point that kept them up?
    Personally I think there should be a man in the stands watching for steps and the like to help the ref.

That was a Mcloughlin point in the league

munster87 wrote: »
    That was a Mcloughlin point in the league

Oh yeah that was it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Yeah it happened just across from me.
    Young Kerry lads full of testosterone and a group of middle aged Dublin supporters who were goading them.
    Not saying who was at fault but surely older heads should have a word with themselves and not rise to any bait. Someone from that Kerry crowd threw a bottle and I taught more were going to get involved.
    It was pretty embarrassing and not at all in context with our two sets of supporters.
    There was one Garda present and I think he took a slap to the head. Security then arrived and threw the Kerry lads out with force.

We can all do without that nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Got the pass from d'wife to have a few pints. Giddy up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Young Kerry lads full of testosterone and a group of middle aged Dublin supporters who were goading them.
    Not saying who was at fault but surely older heads should have a word with themselves and not rise to any bait. Someone from that Kerry crowd threw a bottle and I taught more were going to get involved.
    It was pretty embarrassing and not at all in context with our two sets of supporters.
    There was one Garda present and I think he took a slap to the head. Security then arrived and threw the Kerry lads out with force.

Was lower down but no medals for anyone on either side. Saw those young fellas before the game and they were trollied, and clearly trying to provoke something. I Heard the cops exacted vengeance on the way out! Stupid young fellas with drink. fortunately there were no Dublin equivalents near them or it would have gotten nasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Well done lads. Only new here but the Dublin posters on here seem like decent, genuine people. Delighted for ye and the the county as a whole.

We didn't give O'Shea too many chances from dead balls yesterday compared to the first game. Granted Lane wasn't as whistle happy as Gough, but we were definitely better in the tackle.

Gavin got everything spot on this time around. I said after the drawn game we had the most improvement in us, and the lads that were quiet last time would not be as quiet next time. That's how it played out.

It's a good Kerry team and we're going to see a lot them in future. They'll improve. But they'll need to.

Let the bitters have their say, they've nothing better to do but obsess about us. Enjoy it. Embrace it. Lap it up. Drink it in. It's awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,392 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The health of Dublin GAA can be summarized too by out of the starting fifteen players for Dublin ten clubs were represented. It’s not just three or four clubs feeding the dominance and excellence.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 118 ✭✭aodomhnaill

Don't want to pull in any negativity when in such high spirits but just to add to the discussion.... Heard on the radio during the week that very boring repetitive mantra about how great GAA fans are "we'll stand up at the end of every game and shake hands with the lad next to us and go home".

It's b*llocks. It can be very hostile between fans all over croke park, abusive language used by both sets of fans around kids. Friend of mine was at the first game standing on the Nally, next to him when Kerry were given the penalty a kerry lad went bananas and knocked into some headbangers girlfriend unintentionally, he got split open by yer man. Both of them hauled out of the place, Kerry lad in bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Good idea I think about the homecoming been put back to a sunday afternoon think it's worth a try with some good promotion behind it to get a crowd this team deserves . Maybe 2011 an exception but crowds have been very small at them I think really hope all the people who were going on about tickets get out if anyway possible to show an appreciation to the whole setup and hopefully the ladies team as well .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,247 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Don't want to pull in any negativity when in such high spirits but just to add to the discussion.... Heard on the radio during the week that very boring repetitive mantra about how great GAA fans are "we'll stand up at the end of every game and shake hands with the lad next to us and go home".

It's b*llocks. It can be very hostile between fans all over croke park, abusive language used by both sets of fans around kids. Friend of mine was at the first game standing on the Nally, next to him when Kerry were given the penalty a kerry lad went bananas and knocked into some headbangers girlfriend unintentionally, he got split open by yer man. Both of them hauled out of the place, Kerry lad in bits.

A very small minority doesn't represent everybody.

I've stood next to Kerry, Mayo, Tyrone, Donegal fans and more, had discussions about the game, spoke post match and never seen/heard any arguments/violence, etc

It's a credit to our game and our people that this sport allows opposing fans to sit side by side watching games, extremely rare you would see it at other sport in other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I’ve Been to plenty of premier league games , Ireland games (including away) and I’ve been to an awful lot more of Gaelic games. You are very misguided in your views. Oddly enough I have actually seen more savage stuff at club level then inter county at the top but even at that it’s nowhere near what you get at soccer games.

A simple example was in 2001 when I was at Dublin v Kerry in thurles. I had tickets down the Kerry end with my now wife. Was a good bit of banter, saw Dessie Darrell miss a sitter but wanted to watch the second half in the Dublin end. Long story short, stewards actually walked us down the other end. The replay was on when United were playing Liverpool in the charity shield and I had already committed to going to it. But I had tickets in the Liverpool end. Asked a policeman at HT if I could swap sides (plenty of free seats) and before I could Finish he snapped “no, get back to your seats”. There’s a reason why that happened.

• Advertisement

#neverhappened

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 118 ✭✭aodomhnaill

Slattsy wrote: »
    #neverhappened

linesman for Rathnew V Roundwood ending up in hospital because of a line call with broken ribs during the week never happened either.

It was a friend of mine who told me, an avid Dublin supporter...he'd have no reason to tell me this, he was disgusted by it. Some Kerry girls that were with him had their phones out recording the aftermath, I'm assuming its out there somewhere.

My point is, just like a whole heap of stuff we are pride ourselves on in this country, its not necessarily the reality of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,125 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Have to say ive never come across anything to rough in Croke park over the years other then what was happening on the pitch :P

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Have to say ive never come across anything to rough in Croke park over the years other then what was happening on the pitch :P

I’ve been going to Croke Park for decades, it’s hyperbolic nonsense. You see the odd scuffle and the odd twat screaming abuse but how could you not with 40k +?! It’s not perfect but there’s a reason why they generally don’t need to segregate fans in Gaelic and it’s not because it’s swept under the carpet.

I actually saw the scuffle on the hill at the end of the game yesterday. I was surprised because you seldom see that happening. It’s a rarity, not a common issue.

Drumpot wrote: »
    I’ve been going to Croke Park for decades, it’s hyperbolic nonsense. You see the odd scuffle and the odd twat screaming abuse but how could you not with 40k +?! It’s not perfect but there’s a reason why they generally don’t need to segregate fans in Gaelic and it’s not because it’s swept under the carpet.
    ardai
    I actually saw the scuffle on the hill at the end of the game yesterday. I was surprised because you seldom see that happening. It’s a rarity, not a common issue.

The only thing that sticks out for me is when the Union Jack flag was burned on the hill once. Also there were flares let loose as well and the gardai streamed in.

There was a recent one in Omagh where a Dublin fan attempted to Burn a tyrone flag in Omagh. Scaled the flagpole and all.

https://www.98fm.com/news/dublin-fan-allegedly-tried-burn-tyrone-flag-game-omagh-890814

It was Dublin supporters who seemed to appear the most disgusted based on the article above.

I found it strange to hear. Because that game in Omagh had a great carival atmosphere it was good craic.

Referee in the ladies game is having a shocker, literally everything being given to Galway...

13 minutes in and neither side have scored even a point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Strumms wrote:
    Referee in the ladies game is having a shocker, literally everything being given to Galway...

Strumms wrote:

Didn't take you long to get back on about referees.

Didn't take you long to get back on about referees.

Thanks for that valued contribution

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Strumms wrote: »

18 mins in.
    No score yet.
    Awful stuff.

The Lord Mayor of Dublin talking about a joint “homecoming” if the Dublin ladies win today.

Wouldn’t a homecoming mean you were away from home?
    Something the Dubs NEVER have to do in a final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Strumms wrote:
    Thanks for that valued contribution

Your constant criticism of referees is just as valued I guess.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement