Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,391 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

18 mins in.
    No score yet.
    Awful stuff.

The Lord Mayor of Dublin talking about a joint “homecoming” if the Dublin ladies win today.

Wouldn’t a homecoming mean you were away from home?
    Something the Dubs NEVER have to do in a final.

The conditions are playing a major part, as is the incompetence of the ref, again .

Jesus, what a goal, Goldie a star.

Brilliant defending, keep it up, tenacious.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Why are the women's finals usually like this? Always seem to get more goals than points. At this rate it will finish 5-2 to 2-3.

They can't seem to score simple frees. At one point a free a few meter out to the right was taken by a right footer.

How the sweet fùck is that not a free in ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Problem is they're trying to walk it in and the point was on.

Neeson wrote: »
    Problem is they're trying to walk it in and the point was on.

Yes, passing it to death, that last attack there were three opportunities to shoot and constantly overplaying and searching for a better position when the point was on.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,125 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Thank god the mens match was on yesterday not today!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

Don’t post here too often but read everything, few good dubs in here. Hope yiz enjoyed it as much as I did.

UpTheDubs

How is that a foul, referee is diabolical

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭showpony1

Surely it’s ridiculous to only register one point in a gaa match or are we not allowed say that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Easy win for Dublin. 3 in a row. Can't see any of the other ladies teams catching them over the next 10 years. The underage boom in Dublin hasn't even been fully realised yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,160 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

That has capped a great weekend. A great crowd to.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,882 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    Easy win for Dublin. 3 in a row. Can't see any of the other ladies teams catching them over the next 10 years. The underage boom in Dublin hasn't even been fully realised yet.

Stupid statement. So you think 13 in a row is on :rolleyes:

Cork will always be a difficult opposition for them, as they prove every year. Other teams will challenge also.

Better team won no doubt.

Tough game in seriously wet and cool conditions. Well done to both sets of players. The conditions didn’t lend to beautiful football it was more attritional and I think what helped Dublin was how they managed conditions better, took care of the football better, more disciplined in the tackle and were more creative and accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

ShamoBuc wrote: »

Cork will always be a difficult opposition for them, as they prove every year. Other teams will challenge also.

Just looking at the bigger picture I see the Dublin ladies getting better at a faster rate then the rest. I'd say they'll do 10 in a row and who knows after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭dobman88

Have avoided every GAA thread in here since Friday evening and have no intention of reading through what I expect to be absolute drivel. Just wanted to say enjoy it lads, they were top class yesterday. Delighted to see Connolly in the flesh again, was hoping we would see Brogan but stayed on until he lifted the trophy to clap him anyway. We were surrounded by great fans who all had a few words and a handshake. Some team, some performance. Hopefully better days ahead for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,720 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

showpony1 wrote: »
    Surely it’s ridiculous to only register one point in a gaa match or are we not allowed say that?

It was an atrocious match not helped by the conditions but both teams played idiotically especially Galway.

Playing short hand passing and trying to walk the ball up the pitch into the net
    Those conditions are ideal for the long ball and Dublin seemed to only realise this at half time.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,758 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

showpony1 wrote: »
    It was an atrocious match not helped by the conditions but both teams played idiotically especially Galway.

Playing short hand passing and trying to walk the ball up the pitch into the net
    Those conditions are ideal for the long ball and Dublin seemed to only realise this at half time.

I was just about to post this even I was shouting when Galway had the ball saying 'kick it she is free'. 'Why didn't she kick it?' Also the Galway players did not seem to be willing to make runs help other players. Very static stuff. Plus they kept checking back all the time when they had the ball making it easy for Dublin to crowd them out.
    There was one sequence of play where Galway played it back to the keeper not once or twice. But at least three times. It was silly.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Great crowd. Unbelievable in fact. Pity about the weather.

• Advertisement

I think Mick Bohan switched it at half time, slightly more direct, more kick passing instead of running into trouble , more options for forwards. Dublin were excellent in the tackle there were many more 50/50s won than lost, a lot more and when they went a couple of points up they were careful with possession, efficient to keep the ball away from being played in and around their own goal and 45 where loosing possession would or could cost scores....

It was excellent game management, excellent execution of skills, a brilliant team...thoroughly deserved and congratulations 🎊🎉🍾

ShamoBuc wrote: »

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    Just looking at the bigger picture I see the Dublin ladies getting better at a faster rate then the rest. I'd say they'll do 10 in a row and who knows after that.

Without meaning to sound sexist what is the average lifespan of ladies footballer?
    When most start having kids - families and jobs - surely there is a steep drop off?

Mostly seems to be young ones student type of age mixed with the occasional physio/teacher.

So does that mean that Cork's six in a row and Dublin's three in a row is more impressive?
    Or are those two exceptions as the teams stuck together?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Was good game given the conditions on an unpredictably bad day.

Galway were very well organised and restricted Dublin's attack but were a bit too conservative when in possession themselves. Dublin's ability to use the kick pass and space and to create goal chances was the difference.

Lots of speculation today about retirements. Cluxton will go, as will a few of the players who have been around for a while.

Gavin must be tempted to go out on a high. I don't know him but I would imagine he is a bit different than Cody or Dwyer or Harte or Boylan who are his only peers in that I Don't think he sees it as something that is life's vocation. Could be wrong but wouldn't be surprised if he stepped down.

Bonniedog wrote: »

Galway were very well organised and restricted Dublin's attack but were a bit too conservative when in possession themselves. Dublin's ability to use the kick pass and space and to create goal chances was the difference.

Lots of speculation today about retirements. Cluxton will go, as will a few of the players who have been around for a while.

Gavin must be tempted to go out on a high. I don't know him but I would imagine he is a bit different than Cody or Dwyer or Harte or Boylan who are his only peers in that I Don't think he sees it as something that is life's vocation. Could be wrong but wouldn't be surprised if he stepped down.

Calling Galway conservative is the understatement of the year. They made it easy for Dublin let's be honest.
    On TSG live they were speculating that Cluxton would go - mainly because he sounded emotional during the speech. Also I was talking to people after the game that said Cluxton was walking around waving to the crowd afterwards.
    Looked like he was soaking it all up one last time.

Who would be Jim’s natural successor ?

I wonder if Jim given his rather young vintage 48 ? Would even consider stepping away for a couple of years and focusing on career, family, life etc with a view to a return in the future... can’t be easy achieving what he has with Dublin, maintaining a career, having enough time for family, friends etc.... got to take it out of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

I think he is retired now from Aer Corps. Was on sabbatical.

No idea who might succeed him. Jason, Clarke, Deasy and some others who have been with him are obvious contenders. They might not be as effective as the front person. Be dodgy mission to take on, as any slippage - which is inevitable - might be blamed on the new face!

That has been downfall of previous Dublin and other county managers - Kerry being prime example - in years of relative decline.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 118 ✭✭aodomhnaill

Can’t recall Gavin being so elated and showing such emotion after any win, the embrace with Sherlock, it was as if it was the long term mission accomplished, we did it. Dubs TV interview also, very emotional and very open. Same with Cluxton, he did do his usual after winning and calmly put the gloves away but I haven’t seen him that emotional ever either...even after 2011. Yes, they know they’ve made Irish sporting history but it did seem out of character.

Gavin and Cluxton, easily the greatest manager and player/captain/leader of the game...if they go, I’d expect a very different championship next year.

Working for the Irish Aviation Authority i read a while back as a regulator. That’s GOT to be a very nice number, in terms of every aspect of your employment. Very responsible but that should be second nature to him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 118 ✭✭aodomhnaill

Strumms wrote: »

Can’t see beyond Sherlock, that’s what he wants and no dub supporter would be disappointed with that appointment. With the holy grail already achieved it’s a win win situation for Dublin county board. Any other appointment is a win lose with Sherlock’s public profile.

• Advertisement

Strumms wrote: »

I wonder if Jim given his rather young vintage 48 ? Would even consider stepping away for a couple of years and focusing on career, family, life etc with a view to a return in the future... can’t be easy achieving what he has with Dublin, maintaining a career, having enough time for family, friends etc.... got to take it out of you.
    Can’t see beyond Sherlock, that’s what he wants and no dub supporter would be disappointed with that appointment. With the holy grail already achieved it’s a win win situation for Dublin county board. Any other appointment is a win lose with Sherlock’s public profile.

I was thinking Paul Clarke understated no fuss. Has worked with Pillar Caffery, Pat Gilroy and Jim Gavin. Personally I think if he wants it he should get it.
    Jayo has plenty of time yet.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement