Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,391 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I got to know Paul a bit from working in the Airport, a nice, personable relaxed and level headed fella, his personality at least suited to the job and experience too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,125 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Dunno how I feel about this double homecoming in Merrion Square in two weeks.

Liked how it was setup in Smithfield felt more intimate.

Also think the women's and men's celebrations should be kept separate especially considering its 5 in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Also think the women's and men's celebrations should be kept separate especially considering its 5 in a row.

The spontaniety of having it this week should have been the way to go. Smithfield or College Green. If it was good enough for Obama, well why not our own?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 118 ✭✭aodomhnaill

I know how I feel about it :) its stupid.

Times we live in, Mayor looking for brownie points. Achievement by Men's Senior Football Team being totally undermined. I'm only a sexist misogynistic dinosaur by saying as much though.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,066 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Calling Galway conservative is the understatement of the year. They made it easy for Dublin let's be honest.
    On TSG live they were speculating that Cluxton would go - mainly because he sounded emotional during the speech. Also I was talking to people after the game that said Cluxton was walking around waving to the crowd afterwards.
    Looked like he was soaking it all up one last time.

Yeah. I've been to all of the 7 wins since 2011 and I've never seen him actually enjoy the end of the game like he did yesterday. Definitely feels like he's done.

• Advertisement

I’d prefer Smithfield too but maybe the demand for access Smithfield wouldn’t be suitable for facilitating etc..

I think celebrating the girls and the guys success together is appropriate. Both great achievements in their own right and for all supporters to get together, both sets of players, be the perfect occasion.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    The spontaniety of having it this week should have been the way to go. Smithfield or College Green. If it was good enough for Obama, well why not our own?

They mentioned players holidays clashing with it which is fine. I just think both teams should get separate situations.

Why do they need to piggy back the women's win on the back of the mens I dunno....

Strumms wrote: »
    I’d prefer Smithfield too but maybe the demand for access Smithfield wouldn’t be suitable for facilitating etc..

I think celebrating the girls and the guys success together is appropriate. Both great achievements in their own right and for all supporters to get together, both sets of players, be the perfect occasion.

Wonder how the women feel about it considering the vast majority of the crowd will be there for thr mens team. Half the crowd won't even know who plays on the women's team sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

No problem with the women's team being there at the same time. What harm?

Only thing I would like to see is that Green Party councillors are not there to wallow in the light given that they got Dublin city Council to ban banners and flags supporting the team from being placed on bridges in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

They mentioned players holidays clashing with it which is fine. I just think both teams should get separate situations.

Why do they need to piggy back the women's win on the back of the mens I dunno....

It's all Dublin at the end of the day. Let them all soak up the atmosphere, they bloody well deserve it.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

It just the usual carry on, piggy back the women on the back of the main attraction and then whinge about inequality unless they get equal billing

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

AIG sponsor both so would want both - saw an AIG poster on Twitter or Insta promoting their initiative #EffortIsEqual - which recognises that the effort, commitment and dedication amongst male and female players is equal.

Dublin ladies have been in six finals in a row, doing their first ever three in a row - doesn’t matter a monkeys if people in the crowd don’t recognise the girls but a lot of young Dublin kids will get to see that gender doesn’t matter - you still get to win in Croke Park

I suppose people have different views, the players above anyone should be listened to, if the ladies were to consider separate occasions as being more appropriate the I’m fine with that...from the outside looking in, one big celebration would be super. Celebrating Dublin football, players, officials, fans of every aspect of the sport coming together, DUBLIN AS ONE.

AIG sponsor both so would want both - saw an AIG poster on Twitter or Insta promoting their initiative #EffortIsEqual - which recognises that the effort, commitment and dedication amongst male and female players is equal.

Dublin ladies have been in six finals in a row, doing their first ever three in a row - doesn’t matter a monkeys if people in the crowd don’t recognise the girls but a lot of young Dublin kids will get to see that gender doesn’t matter - you still get to win in Croke Park

Agreed, if anything the occasion might stir the senses towards the fact that success, it’s equal and should be equally supported.

I don't support the women's team or there game I don't find it entertaining so it stops there for me. It's obviously nice to see Dublin win at anything and they deserve recognition for there achievement.

I just feel like throwing the two together is taking away from what both teams done individually.

Especially for the women in fairness the men are the main show for most fans and they will be there to see them. At the same time what the men achieved deserves its only celebration. Its something that may never be equaled or beaten.

There's obviously a reason behind it but sure its not the end the world people will either go or not. I'll be there unless something comes up between now and then!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Agreed, if anything the occasion might stir the senses towards the fact that success, it’s equal and should be equally supported.

Go away out of that. I can respect the ladies commitment and even their achievements but no one is going to tell what i should take an interest in. I don't like watching ladies football and i've no interest in playing along to suit the equality brigade.

Look, I'm fully behind the ladies having a joint celebration with the men's team but in no way shape or form is it an equal achievement.

The ladies game is improving massively but it needs to be viewed on its own merits and not as an equal with anything else.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,343 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Doesn't bother me too much, to be honest. Doubt that any of the mens team will care all that much either.

It’s an equal achievement because they have beaten all comers before them to be the greatest team on the Island.

It’s an equal achievement because they have beaten all comers before them to be the greatest team on the Island.

While both are great achievements, they are not equal.
    They are different sports with different requirements. Each should be measured on its own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

The ladies(who are a fabulous team) are surely entitled to their own reception rather than being lumped in with the men..this would surely undermine their own 3 in a row achievement. They look to be a well supported team in their own right so surely they deserve their own stand alone recognition.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,160 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

With a 5 in a row done I'd love to pour out so much emotion going back to at least 1989 when it really all began.:D

The ladies(who are a fabulous team) are surely entitled to their own reception rather than being lumped in with the men..this would surely undermine their own 3 in a row achievement. They look to be a well supported team in their own right so surely they deserve their own stand alone recognition.

Yes in hindsight you are correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Abel Ruiz wrote: »
    Who got rte man of the match?

Ciaran Kilkenny

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

All ireland men’s champions, All Ireland Women’s champions and Dubliner Ellen Keane picking up a world championship bronze in the ParaSwimming - not a bad weekend for Dublin!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,758 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I don't support the women's team or there game I don't find it entertaining so it stops there for me. It's obviously nice to see Dublin win at anything and they deserve recognition for there achievement.

I just feel like throwing the two together is taking away from what both teams done individually.

Especially for the women in fairness the men are the main show for most fans and they will be there to see them. At the same time what the men achieved deserves its only celebration. Its something that may never be equaled or beaten.

There's obviously a reason behind it but sure its not the end the world people will either go or not. I'll be there unless something comes up between now and then!
    corny wrote: »
    Go away out of that. I can respect the ladies commitment and even their achievements but no one is going to tell what i should take an interest in. I don't like watching ladies football and i've no interest in playing along to suit the equality brigade.
    JRant wrote: »
    Look, I'm fully behind the ladies having a joint celebration with the men's team but in no way shape or form is it an equal achievement.

The ladies game is improving massively but it needs to be viewed on its own merits and not as an equal with anything else.
    CatInABox wrote: »
    Doesn't bother me too much, to be honest. Doubt that any of the mens team will care all that much either.

I am sorta mixed on it. I never went to a ladies football game with the sole purpose of watching it. Normally it was on before the men's game so I just would watch the second half maybe.

Standard wise ladies are men's football are miles apart. I watched most of the game today, to be honest it was an awful watch - even allowing for the conditions.
    The commentators had to resort to talking about the 'tension' rather then the actual game itself. There seemed to be very little speed of thought and movement of players giving others options. Also in the ladies football they seem to really struggle kicking a ball regardless of the conditions. The standard of goalkeepers also seems noticeably poor to me.

In saying all that I do not see the harm in giving the ladies a bit of profile in the celebrations. It must be sole destroying playing infront of tiny crowds for most of the year. I know they claimed 50k for last years final but it is really a manufacturer crowd full of schoolkids bussed from all over the country.
    So it will be nice for the ladies footballers to get a bit of praise in a celebration it will raise awareness for thier sport. There is no harm in it.
    As long as they do not feel patronised being bunched in with men's celebrations.

Plus who knows with a bit of matchmaking for the singletons it could insure another golden generation of footballlers in around 9 months time?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 322 ✭✭SJW Lover

It's not an equal achievement. Not even close.

It was not a game that was an easy watch. But that was solely down to stormy and wet conditions, the worst combination of weather for a game of football, but the Dubs made the best of it and triumphed and there was plenty of skill as well as determination in doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Putting sentiment aside in what was probably his last game for Dublin, Cluxton had his greatest ever season with Dublin imo, and I do understand the clamour for Con or Mannion when the awards come around - but for me there's only one winner - thanks Cap

• Advertisement

Cluxton, that’s a hero. Funny thing is he’s quiet and very unassuming in ‘real life’ but an absolute gent with it...be a great way to sign off if indeed that were to happen.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement