Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

All tickets gone. They even have a VIP area, but apparently none for elderly people, young kids, or special needs.

What VIPs? Apart from family of the two teams, and others connected with them, there ought to be no VIPs.

Sounds more and more like self promotion by the Mayor and the rest of the council. I was at the 2011 one, and whoever was Mayor then escapes my mind which is probably indication that he did not try and hog the jaysus night.

Knowing the current incumbent, you may be certain that will not be the case on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,125 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Bonniedog wrote: »
    All tickets gone. They even have a VIP area, but apparently none for elderly people, young kids, or special needs.

What VIPs? Apart from family of the two teams, and others connected with them, there ought to be no VIPs.

Sounds more and more like self promotion by the Mayor and the rest of the council. I was at the 2011 one, and whoever was Mayor then escapes my mind which is probably indication that he did not try and hog the jaysus night.

Knowing the current incumbent, you may be certain that will not be the case on Sunday.

I dunno I hope I'm wrong but have a feeling there won't be to many complaints especially online.

If they couldn't keep it in Smithfield for insurance or health and safety reasons fair enough but awful shame I really liked the more personal feel about the whole thing.

This Merrion Square thing stinks of keeping certain people happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Extremely well said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭Paulzx

Clubs are being allocated tickets by the county board for their members so there are still options to get tickets if you haven't got any on the public allocation

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Can't imagine there will be a problem getting to see the team plenty of tickets taken because it's free would think many will not bother going especially if weather conditions are not great and the council will be quite glad for people to turn up .I really hope a big crowd turn out as the teams really deserve it .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

Yeah Cuala look to be motoring alright. As a Na Fianna man, I was hoping they would stay off the boil slightly. No chance, and sure it didn't matter anyway as we were well beaten by Brigid's.

It's unlikely that either Brigid's or Craobh Chiarain will trouble Vinnie's or Cuala in the final

What happened to Fianna? It was great game and in balance to the end, but never seem to be able to bring down one of the bigger beasts - if Brigids could be so described! - when it matters.

Cuala look to be back to their hungry selves. Vinnies have good defence, midfield and Hetherton, but will need goals to beat Cuala and can't see them getting them.

Good to see Craobh back but sad that O'Tooles were relegated.

I couldn't go as I was at an U10 blitz in the Midlands. My Parnell mole told me that Na Fianna couldn't live with the ball into the Brigid's forwards with O'Sullivan and Winters snapping on lots of breaking ball and scoring consistently.

D9Male wrote: »
    I couldn't go as I was at an U10 blitz in the Midlands. My Parnell mole told me that Na Fianna couldn't live with the ball into the Brigid's forwards with O'Sullivan and Winters snapping on lots of breaking ball and scoring consistently.

Cian O'Sullivan was brilliant. 5/6 from play I think in second half. Some very good performances from forwards on or close to the county team, so perhaps we have some reason to be optimistic after the disaster in Portlaoise

• Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Dublin 5 in a row Jersey in O Neills €56 for adults €40 for the kids, Plus they have the the 2016 final jersey for €30 and the 2017 4 in a row for €30.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Cluxton,Jack and Con the three nominees for footballer of the year. A first,fully deserved All-Star for Cluxton after being disgraceful overlooked since 2013. A man whose changed the face of goalkeeping and the whole game.

What's the cut-off point when it comes too being nominated for the YPOTY ? 21 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,758 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Bret Hart wrote: »
    Cluxton,Jack and Con the three nominees for footballer of the year. A first,fully deserved All-Star for Cluxton after being disgraceful overlooked since 2013. A man whose changed the face of goalkeeping and the whole game.

What's the cut-off point when it comes too being nominated for the YPOTY ? 21 ?

Young player of the year is 23 or younger according to this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_Stars_Young_Footballer_of_the_Year

To be honest before I looked it up I would have guessed 21 as well.

Looking at this history of the award it seems to have been used as a consolation prize a lot. Mayo have won it five times!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Dublin 5 in a row Jersey in O Neills €56 for adults €40 for the kids, Plus they have the the 2016 final jersey for €30 and the 2017 4 in a row for €30.

That five a row jersey could date fast.
    What if they win 6?
    I will wait until they lose in the championship before I get the five in a row top I think! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Young player of the year is 23 or younger according to this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_Stars_Young_Footballer_of_the_Year

To be honest before I looked it up I would have guessed 21 as well.

Looking at this history of the award it seems to have been used as a consolation prize a lot. Mayo have won it five times!

So Con is up for the POTY and is eligible for the YPOTY,but is not in the running for it. Very odd.

Bret Hart wrote: »
    So Con is up for the POTY and is eligible for the YPOTY,but is not in the running for it. Very odd.

I know. It just proves how the whole thing is not based on merit really, all politics.
    To be completely honest I have not paid any interest in the all-stars since Dublin used to be struggling to win leinster. When I held any sign of an all-star as some sort of hope for the team. Even a nomination!

Personally, I think the system should be changed the public should vote on it.
    Two teams one including the last eight only - all star A and another including everyone else - a B all star.

Then out of both of those teams is a gold star team named.

There are always plenty of fellas from so called weaker counties forgotten about completely - once thier team is knocked out altogether early on.

That Dubs TV live stream is very jumpy

Edit - I found a workaround increased the speed slightly to 1.25/1.5

I cant watch it.

Bit of a shock on the cards here.

Jayus the Mun county lads must feel like retiring from inter-county at this stage.
    They must be raging looked very leggy.

Final score 0-13 0-8
    Think Na Fianna got the last 4 scores.

Na Fianna missed a few goal chances as well during the game.
    So it was well deserved.

Commentator on Dubs TV came out with a great line -

'It is Na Fianna's biggest win since Metro North!' :D

That's another disaster for Ballymun. Half an all Ireland team almost.

• Advertisement

Like me on the astro football team. There's only so much I can carry them.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,343 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Jayus the Mun county lads must feel like retiring from inter-county at this stage.
    They must be raging looked very leggy.

Final score 0-13 0-8
    Think Na Fianna got the last 4 scores.

Na Fianna missed a few goal chances as well during the game.
    So it was well deserved.

Commentator on Dubs TV came out with a great line -

'It is Na Fianna's biggest win since Metro North!' :D

Leggy? I'd still be drunk from all the celebrations. Apparently Rock was away in the States over the last while, don't know what everyone elses excuse is. Spent a good while kicking it away.

That's another disaster for Ballymun. Half an all Ireland team almost.

This craic has happened way too much now on them.
    Don't know what the solution is - never mind the lack of recovery, almost impossible to build cohesiveness in a team that way.

I once had 800 on them to win a game they managed to lose despite everything!

They are less than the sum of their parts, that's for certain.

Na Fianna got a lot more from their bench. Both teams struggled to keep possession and are a bit off Boden and Kilmacud, I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,391 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Quality was poor overall, some good scores but Ballymun in particular looked seriously leggy from early on.... not very much movement off the ball..

That said too the referee seemed to have a nightmare, not too many big decisions wrong but Na Fianna seemed to be tactically fouling a lot, conceded many frees around the ballymun 45 when Ballymun were trying to break quickly but the referee wasn’t interested.... twice Na Fianna players handled the ball on the deck too and nada.

D9Male wrote: »
    Na Fianna got a lot more from their bench. Both teams struggled to keep possession and are a bit off Boden and Kilmacud, I reckon.

Not so sure. Fianna gave as good as they got physically, which was big thing as I think Ballymun thought they might be able to bully them. As illustrated by Philly and others attempt to take out Murchan.

If Fianna can keep that intensity they will give any of the quarter finalists a game.

Seems all tickets have been taken for today was really only interested in seeing the team wonder if worth my while heading in just in case can't see many people who have tickets who aren't going putting the tickets out there .Must be stopping access near the square to stop any overflow if the situation arose also think a lot won't stick three hours standing around especially with children.

Can't see why they didn't just have an open top bus route and a short event at the end. Two weeks later and it seems like they are trying to down play it as much as they can.

Strangers in our own city. A rag tag and bobtail of a few hundred was allowed to close off O'Connell Street for hours yesterday.

• Advertisement

agree about having a shorter event would have to have an incredible line up of acts to hold attention for that time really hope it goes well as the teams deserve it but can people just turning up for a small part and leaving some of the day with small crowds hope i am wrong about that .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement