Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,758 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Draw for the semi-finals

https://twitter.com/DubGAAOfficial/status/1183421785536110594

Fair play to Thomas Davis by the way, I did not see that result coming.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Was strange that no boden player got a card for the incident,

Probably give him a bye ball with Dublin, but hard to like him, and its not like I would need any reason to dislike then counts :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Was strange that no boden player got a card for the incident,

Have to saw too that MDM is a bit of a pr!ck at times. Probably give him a bye ball with Dublin, but hard to like him, and its not like I would need any reason to dislike then counts :-)

Couple of comments on this.

I can see how you could form that view of MDMA watching the game - having said that having asked him once or twice for an autograph with my kids I really couldn't not speak more highly of that guy; my experience of him is that he is so generous with his time, that made it such an occasion for the kids - I wouldn't use the word often to this extent, I was genuinely grateful.

In the game the other day, yes he was acting the maggot at times but I thought he really stood up and ran the game in the extra time period, and when Boden were chasing down an equaliser in normal time.

Re the sending off - personally, I wouldn't necessarily say it changed the result. The bigger issue for me was the kick out strategy, that boden chased down the Na fianna kick outs so well, whereas when Boden were kicking out it was more or less the same kick out everytime to the corner back and uncontested.

But the incident itself - what the f*** is the deal with this culture in gaa of just breaking the rules wherever you can get away with it. The Boden guy had the NaF guy - in a bear hug, far from where the ball was, arms wrapped around him, not letting go. It goes beyond rules, and question of culture that players are doing this and they think its ok, that its something they should be doing.....wtf.

To state the undeniable obvious, you would not see that in either soccer or rugby. It literally brings the game into disrepute, it makes it look lawless and ridiculous.

Wasn't personal thing about Michael Darragh. He is total gentleman off the pitch!

I just don't like some of the stuff, and admittedly probably be roaring my approval when he does it in sky blue.

You are right about the O'Mahony incident. For such a brilliant game, there was no need for some of the cr@p going on. And with bird's eye view of Boden corporate management within 20 feet of me, have to say they did not endear themselves to me. Rainbow was exactly the same sort of yoke when he was with Kildare. No doubt they were clapping themselves on the back over some of the stuff they were at, but leave them to it.

Karma is a bitch,

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Wasn't personal thing about Michael Darragh. He is total gentleman off the pitch!

I just don't like some of the stuff, and admittedly probably be roaring my approval when he does it in sky blue.

You are right about the O'Mahony incident. For such a brilliant game, there was no need for some of the cr@p going on. And with bird's eye view of Boden corporate management within 20 feet of me, have to say they did not endear themselves to me. Rainbow was exactly the same sort of yoke when he was with Kildare. No doubt they were clapping themselves on the back over some of the stuff they were at, but leave them to it.

Karma is a bitch,

I'd agree. People on twitter giving out about what a terrible 'decision' it was by the ref - but to be fair, it was a long way off the ball - like everyone else, the linesmen and ref have two eyes and are following the ball and the players around it at a crucial stage of the game.

This was a club game, and in normal circumstances that would have been the end of it.

But it was also live on TV, so everyone could see what was going on in replay.

I genuinely wouldnt blame the ref here - he doesnt have a TMO he can go to - I dont think this sort of off the ball stuff can be regulated at club level, you are just depending on people to respect the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,477 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Tombo2001 wrote: »

I genuinely wouldnt blame the ref here - he doesnt have a TMO he can go to - I dont think this sort of off the ball stuff can be regulated at club level, you are just depending on people to respect the game.

I can blame the referees for this bollocks of just booking both players regardless of what happened. If you didn't see it then so be it, don't book both players just to be seen to be doing something.

I was really enjoying that game but when I saw that decision I got up and turned it off, just turned me right off watching any football. It was just emblematic of the sort of bull**** the GAA can be, players performing scumbag acts followed by inept and amateurish decisions.

I can blame the referees for this bollocks of just booking both players regardless of what happened. If you didn't see it then so be it, don't book both players just to be seen to be doing something.

I was really enjoying that game but when I saw that decision I got up and turned it off, just turned me right off watching any football. It was just emblematic of the sort of bull**** the GAA can be, players performing scumbag acts followed by inept and amateurish decisions.

But the referee doesn't know what happened - all he knows is that two lads are on the ground scrapping.

You are watching on TV - you only see what happens because you have access to replay.........This is a club game in Parnell Park with no TMO. There is no way the Ref can know what happened here.

But the referee doesn't know what happened - all he knows is that two lads are on the ground scrapping.

You are watching on TV - you only see what happens because you have access to replay.........This is a club game in Parnell Park with no TMO. There is no way the Ref can know what happened here.

If he doesn't know what happened why did he book both of them?

If he saw them scrapping why didn't he issue two red cards?

If he doesn't know what happened why did he book both of them?

If he saw them scrapping why didn't he issue two red cards?

Because he issued two yellow cards, because that's what he deemed an appropriate punishment for two lads that are wrestling on the ground. And on that face of it, I cant say that's wrong.

He didn't and couldn't have seen everything that happened.

And for me anyway - giving out about the ref implies that problem is with the ref, or with the adequacy of the ref/ linesmen teams..... I think there is only so much these guys can do.

For me it distracts from the bigger issue is that teams just shouldn't be doing this. It brings the game into disrepute. its like diving in soccer. its cheating and a stain on the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,758 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

For me it distracts from the bigger issue is that teams just shouldn't be doing this. It brings the game into disrepute. its like diving in soccer. its cheating and a stain on the game.

It did look bad alright/ I was thinking after watching it that they should have two more refs on the side of the pitch for the sole purpose of watching for any blackguarding. As the linesmen do feck all lets be honest.
    Also there should be couple of refs in the stands whose sole job it is to see if the umpires were right calling a point wide.
    Maybe they could have a GAA VAR where there is no hawkeye for scores?
    Boden were done out of a good point I thought in fairness.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Are the football semi finals on this weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

There's 4 umpires, 2 linesmen and a ref, how many officials do people want on the field. The issue is not that there aren't enough, the issue is they all seem to be blind at what's happening right in front of them.

Players always have pushed the boundaries and the latest one is to wrestle the "start" forward until they both get booked, then swap markers and repeat until they're sent off. The amount of blatant stuff that is 'unseen' by the umpires and linesmen in particular is disgraceful. They know what's going on but feign ignorance and both players end up booked.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

JRant wrote: »
    There's 4 umpires, 2 linesmen and a ref, how many officials do people want on the field. The issue is not that there aren't enough, the issue is they all seem to be blind at what's happening right in front of them.

Players always have pushed the boundaries and the latest one is to wrestle the "start" forward until they both get booked, then swap markers and repeat until they're sent off. The amount of blatant stuff that is 'unseen' by the umpires and linesmen in particular is disgraceful. They know what's going on but feign ignorance and both players end up booked.

What needs to change is the role of umpires, they actually have zero say by the letter of the law, this and the quality of umpire needs to be looked at big time.

Billy Mays wrote: »
    Are the football semi finals on this weekend?

Hurling final Sunday. Football the following week.

Pogue eile wrote: »
    What needs to change is the role of umpires, they actually have zero say by the letter of the law, this and the quality of umpire needs to be looked at big time.

Completely disagree.

(I) you are saying the problem is with the adjudicators. Its not, its with the team that engages in this crap and with the sporting culture around it that tolerates it. We've already seen reference above to how the sideline team in this instance reacted positively to the carry on.

(II) There needs to be a recognition by supporters that there is a limit to structures that can be put in place for referees and their teams.

Whens the last time you umpired at a county quarter final?

Very easy to say - oh those lads need to be doing more.

So are you going to open a new referee school, train in thousands of umpires in the new rules - umpires that probably don't want to be there as it means giving up their time, to take on new responsibility for a role that they aren't paid for, will get no credit for if they do it right, will get abused for if they do it wrong?

Don't think so.

The problem is the club or team that does it and the culture that tolerates it. Its should be a shameful position to be in, its not.

As Ghandi said - be the change you want to see. If you feel strongly about it, then you sign up as a GAA ref and press for changes from within.

Whens the last time you umpired at a county quarter final?

Last Saturday, but it was actually a county semi final ;) did a qaurter final on the Wednesday night.

I couldn't make head nor tail of the rest of your post if I'm perfectly honest but thanks for sharing

Last Saturday, but it was actually a county semi final ;) did a qaurter final on the Wednesday night.

I couldn't make head nor tail of the rest of your post if I'm perfectly honest but thanks for sharing

Very good.

I'll take your word for it; though if you are well able to ref a game then I'd imagine you are able to work out what I am saying. Its not that difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Completely disagree.

(I) you are saying the problem is with the adjudicators. Its not, its with the team that engages in this crap and with the sporting culture around it that tolerates it. We've already seen reference above to how the sideline team in this instance reacted positively to the carry on.

Teams will behave when they're penalized, that's how all sports work.

Bambi wrote: »
    Teams will behave when they're penalized, that's how all sports work.

That's fine - but I just don't see how that type of behaviour can be regulated on the field - its not realistic to have 6-8 person teams of qualified refs for every game and I don't see a ref and 2 linesmen being able to pick it up.

Punishment - as I said above- needs to be retrospective.

Very good.

I'll take your word for it; though if you are well able to ref a game then I'd imagine you are able to work out what I am saying. Its not that difficult.

An umpire is not a ref, I'm begining to see why you have difficulty here!

This shi*e talk about culture is just that, name me a competitive team sport where any team will not do everything/anything to win? In fact if you remove that 'edge' then the sport loses all meaning and relevance.

• Advertisement

If its ****e talk then please explain why the culture of how players speak to referees so different in rugby to soccer and gaelic football.

If its ****e talk then please explain why the culture of how players speak to referees so different in rugby to soccer and gaelic football.

Because the Rugby players get penalised...

In Rugby the captain and the captain only is allowed to speak with the referee, this is not practical in either of the sports you speak of for obvious reasons.

And are you trying, with a straight face, to suggest that there is no foul play or cheating in Rugby??

Culture changes when the enforcement of rules makes it. When I was a young lad it was very common to see digs thrown during a game. Now, not so much as it's a straight red when you're caught and those pesky linesmen always seem to have their glasses on when a lad throws a box.

It's all about the pulling and the dragging while looking for a reaction now. Until the refs come down on it then teams will keep using it as a tactic.

Culture changes when the enforcement of rules makes it. When I was a young lad it was very common to see digs thrown during a game. Now, not so much as it's a straight red when you're caught and those pesky linesmen always seem to have their glasses on when a lad throws a box.

It's all about the pulling and the dragging while looking for a reaction now. Until the refs come down on it then teams will keep using it as a tactic.

Which comes back to the original point.

How do you regulate cynical off the play at a club game level.

In Rugby the captain and the captain only is allowed to speak with the referee, this is not practical in either of the sports you speak of for obvious reasons.

And are you trying, with a straight face, to suggest that there is no foul play or cheating in Rugby??

Would you give over with the straight face stuff.

I amnt sneering at you, I'd appreciate if you could stop doing that.

Which comes back to the original point.

How do you regulate cynical off the play at a club game level.

Penalise the offender who starts it. Booking both players is a cop out by refs IMO.

Everyone said lads getting boxed off the ball wouldn't/couldn't be changed but thankfully it's a rare enough thing these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Is there a time and date set for the senior football final?

Very good.

Would you give over with the straight face stuff.

I amnt sneering at you, I'd appreciate if you could stop doing that.

Really??

oh and you dodged the question as well!

• Advertisement

Penalise the offender who starts it. Booking both players is a cop out by refs IMO.

Everyone said lads getting boxed off the ball wouldn't/couldn't be changed but thankfully it's a rare enough thing these days.

Yes.

And how do the ref/ linesman know who that is, when they don't have a TMO to go to.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement