Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Ballyboden got out of jail again tonight. Basquels once again to the fore. Them and Crokes will be good final.

(Yes, I know Crokes have to play Davis in a few minutes!)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Ballyboden got out of jail again tonight. Basquels once again to the fore. Them and Crokes will be good final.

(Yes, I know Crokes have to play Davis in a few minutes!)
    Oof.

Oof.

:o

My 16 Euro to win 1 is gone!

Didn't see that one coming. Mannion going off early was huge loss but they were awful. No Dublin club will win Leinster this year either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭dobman88

RTE playing a blinder having all this club action on telly. Dublin semis were fantastic viewing. Nice bit of niggle to them, some ferocious tackling and big hits. Of course some dirty stuff too which you love to see at club level with fellas getting stuck in. Great evenings entertainment. I actually liked the look of Judes before the game tonight but hard see Ballyboden get beaten now.

Davis on way back after a few tough years, including being demoted out of SFC A. Bounced right back, and in first final since they won three in a row in 1991.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭ankles

Judes will be gutted. Left that game behind and have already beaten Thomas Davis in the group stages. Running out of chances for Kevin

• Registered Users Posts: 19,065 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

ankles wrote: »
    Judes will be gutted. Left that game behind and have already beaten Thomas Davis in the group stages. Running out of chances for Kevin

Delighted. I'm still bitter after a being cheated out of a blitz win in '93 in the U11s.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Fair enough entertainment tonight did not see Thomas Davis result coming at all big chance missed by st judes despite only 2 points in second half .Suppose bodens will be big favourites in the final . Very poor crowd again even with 2 big clubs obviously a lot of members do not really get behind the senior team that much .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭dobman88

Very poor crowd again even with 2 big clubs obviously a lot of members do not really get behind the senior team that much .

:confused: the stand looked pretty much full (apart from either end) on the telly. I actually thought it was quite a good crowd

dobman88 wrote: »
    :confused: the stand looked pretty much full (apart from either end) on the telly. I actually thought it was quite a good crowd

Probably around 5,000 there in total but not at the one time. A lot of people let after the first game, expecting an easy Crokes win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Don't expect everybody to stay for both games but still thought crowd was small the middle of.the stand was ok but both ends were sparse enough not really many on the terrace just think with the amount of.people claiming to be dub supporters there should be decent crowds at the buiness end of the senior championship 8 or 9 thousand should make the semis I think .hopefully a near capacity will make the final. .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Is Shane McGrath finished with Thomas Davis or still playing. I missed the two games tonight but he was a great servant to clare football upto a few years ago, has had his problems with injuries since

There is a paradox in some clubs, that there is huge involvement in playing and mentoring but same people would have little interest in the senior club teams. Indeed within some clubs, the senior footballs would be regarded almost as a separate entity.

I was talking to woman today whose son was playing for Fianna in 21s championship and whose other kids play, but when I mentioned the footballers had been unlucky in SFC she was quite indifferent.

Dublin is just not like rural communities where whole community will identify with team even when they might have little day to day connection with the club. Dublin is much more atomised place where people mightn't even know the people next door. Sad but true,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭muddle84

There is a paradox in some clubs, that there is huge involvement in playing and mentoring but same people would have little interest in the senior club teams. Indeed within some clubs, the senior footballs would be regarded almost as a separate entity.

I was talking to woman today whose son was playing for Fianna in 21s championship and whose other kids play, but when I mentioned the footballers had been unlucky in SFC she was quite indifferent.

Dublin is just not like rural communities where whole community will identify with team even when they might have little day to day connection with the club. Dublin is much more atomised place where people mightn't even know the people next door. Sad but true,

I would imagine the same would be true for All big clubs in cities across the country. Any city clubs I've ever been close to or friends that are connected with, they're just another club that their kids participate in and the parents won't bother with the senior team until their kids are part of it.
    Depending on the individual their connection with the club might not continue when the kids have moved on.

But as a football fan I don't understand how more people wouldn't go to the club finals if living in Dublin. I always looked forward to them when I did live there!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,323 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Just on Brogan's retirement, it brings to mind Wexford's Graham Molloy and how good a man-marking job he would have done on him over the years. I can't think of another defender that fared so well on a top forward, particularly when the gulf between Dublin and Wexford was so high. Both quality players.

With the rugger chaps exiting the World Cup in usual anaemic fashion, who will RTE push as team of the year instead of Dublin?

Of course the rugger chaps might still win it. Once they get the proper promotion. Irish elite love losers. Just look at Anglo Irish Bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Still no word on confirmed fixtures for Dublin in the leagues. WTF is going on?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Does anyone know what happened at half time in the TD v Crokes game. It was mentioned by RTÉ that there was a incident going in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

With the rugger chaps exiting the World Cup in usual anaemic fashion, who will RTE push as team of the year instead of Dublin?

Of course the rugger chaps might still win it. Once they get the proper promotion. Irish elite love losers. Just look at Anglo Irish Bank.

I do admire your ability to be offended about things that havent actually happened, must be tough to keep going with all those chips on your shoulders!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,877 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

If the women's hockey team qualify for the Olympics, you will have your answer.

• Advertisement

Pogue eile wrote: »
    I do admire your ability to be offended about things that havent actually happened, must be tough to keep going with all those chips on your shoulders!

Must be tough not to have a sense of humour :)

Dublin are never going to win a poll of couch potatoes, many of whom hate anything to do with Dublin for all sorts of bizarre reasons.

Must be tough not to have a sense of humour :)

Dublin are never going to win a poll of couch potatoes, many of whom hate anything to do with Dublin for all sorts of bizarre reasons.

No couch potatoes in Dublin then no?

What price will you give me on Dublin getting it so?

There are lots of couch potatoes in Dublin, but still be outvoted.

I don't think any county GAA team will ever win it again. Limerick would have deserved it last year or Galway the year previously given the achievement after so long. In GAA terms. Just as Dublin's feat would deserve it.

But look at who have won it in recent years.

I'd say Dublin's chances this year are no better than before. 3/1 chance.

There are lots of couch potatoes in Dublin, but still be outvoted.

I don't think any county GAA team will ever win it again. Limerick would have deserved it last year or Galway the year previously given the achievement after so long. In GAA terms. Just as Dublin's feat would deserve it.

But look at who have won it in recent years.

I'd say Dublin's chances this year are no better than before. 3/1 chance.

I would think they are an absolute certainty, no question. 3 of the last 7 winners have been GAA teams and Dublin have just achieved the unattainable 5 in a row.

No amount of imagined bias is going to skew that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

https://m.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/dublin-eye-sixinarow-as-gavin-set-to-stay-put-38650783.html

Ugh !! Christ were stuck with him for another year :rolleyes:

A reminder The All-Stars are on RTE One at 7 tonight. It says there on for 90 minutes. Aren't they usually only a hour long ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

G'wan Jim. Sod off & give someone else a go.

So that's Jimbo's tenure, Berno's farewell & Dermo's return all boxed off, with zero drama or fuss.

Anyone else feel mildly guilty for giving the nation eff all to gossip about over the winter?

Thank God for Mayo. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

ProudDUB wrote: »
    G'wan Jim. Sod off & give someone else a go.

So that's Jimbo tenure, Berno's farewell & Dermo's return all boxed off, with zero drama or fuss.

Anyone else feel mildly guilty for giving the nation eff all to gossip about over the winter?

Thank God for Mayo. ;)

Even the clowns in here have been quiet. Fair weather trolls! Ha

Delighted JG staying on. Sure why wouldn't he. Wonder who the next player might be though, long list there of maybes...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,758 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Bret Hart wrote: »
    https://m.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/dublin-eye-sixinarow-as-gavin-set-to-stay-put-38650783.html

Ugh !! Christ were stuck with him for another year :rolleyes:

A reminder The All-Stars are on RTE One at 7 tonight. It says there on for 90 minutes. Aren't they usually only a hour long ?

Surely it won't take that long to list 13 Dublin players? :D

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭IRE60

ProudDUB wrote: »

Thank God for Mayo. ;)

They are out looking after the 'donkeys'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Cluxton scoops the big one. He's the greatest sportsperson,for me personally this country has ever seen. I've been blessed too have seen him so many times live since his debut,and fingers crossed,use Dubs will be seeing him again in 2020.

If he does decide too call it a day,well there'll be a tear or two shed,I'm sure. He's a sporting god.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement