Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Not surprised at all by that really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Properly the logical choice knows a lot of the players hope some of the backroom team stay involved .Obviously wish him the very best as he is following a brilliant manager in Jim but anyhow he is the man in position now so hopefully all give him our support now and let him do it his way .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Was hoping ye might royally feck up the appointment process :pac:

But yeve gone with the best choice imo, managed a lot of those guys underage and an extremely passionate GAA man. Really maximised himself in his playing career with club and county, if he even gives half as much commitment to the Blue as a manager he'll be a huge success - I've little doubt!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

I really thought tommy Carr was worth another shot

• Registered Users Posts: 6,916 ✭✭✭doc_17

Farrell has big shoes to fill. He should change nothing, keep the same back room team and just tweak a few things.

• Advertisement

doc_17 wrote: »
    Farrell has big shoes to fill. He should change nothing, keep the same back room team and just tweak a few things.

The back room team all walked shortly after Gavin.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭The barber of chewbacca

Certainly not a surprise. Lets hope he can continue to do the business.

I think things will change a lot. I'm not sure Dessie will be as calm in his decision making as Gavin. Also, Jim delegated a lot of responsibility to staff and players. If Dessie has a different management style, he may not be as comfortable in doing that. (Especially letting certain players making tactical calls during the match). That will be a big change in dynamic that will take some getting used to by the players... and us fans!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,916 ✭✭✭doc_17

The back room team all walked shortly after Gavin.

But what’s stopping him approaching them?

doc_17 wrote: »
    But what’s stopping him approaching them?

Not a thing, I just meant he can’t keep them as they’re not in place. I could see some of them being approached.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Is he tough enough for the job?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,758 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Dessie Farrell just confirmed as new Dublin manager.

https://twitter.com/DubGAAOfficial/status/1205206371471372289?s=19

The best part about the appointment is that Na Fianna were flying at underage level recently- so Dessie will know the ones who are likely to make the step up.

I wonder where the Conroy talk came from really was he in the shakeup or just plan C?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Certainly not a surprise. Lets hope he can continue to do the business.

I think things will change a lot. I'm not sure Dessie will be as calm in his decision making as Gavin. Also, Jim delegated a lot of responsibility to staff and players. If Dessie has a different management style, he may not be as comfortable in doing that. (Especially letting certain players making tactical calls during the match). That will be a big change in dynamic that will take some getting used to by the players... and us fans!!

I don't think anyone is as calm as Gavin in his decision making in fairness.
    There will be a nice added spice to the Kerry v Dublin league game now. as if it did not need any more.

Happy4all wrote: »
    Is he tough enough for the job?

You mean will the players listen to him?
    That is my one worry that the last time most of those lads who were managed by Dessie was when they were young lads.
    Easier to get young lads to follow instructions and orders.

On the plus side though there does not seem to be massive egos in the Dub camp (bar maybe Connolly) unless they are hiding it well!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

I assume Dessie and Jason are still friends? So he might persuade him to stay on. Who were his assistants with the underage teams? Managers tend to like sticking with same coaches for example.

Bonniedog wrote: »
    I assume Dessie and Jason are still friends? So he might persuade him to stay on. Who were his assistants with the underage teams? Managers tend to like sticking with same coaches for example.

I dunno good question. I did a bit of searching and found out he was actually call in by Kenny to help the hurlers earlier this year, as a 'sports psychologist' of sorts

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/gaa/dessie-farrells-influence-reaping-rewards-in-dublin-915587.html

My first thought was ah jayus that went well beat Galway lose to Laois it must have been Dessie's fault?

I dunno good question. I did a bit of searching and found out he was actually call in by Kenny to help the hurlers earlier this year, as a 'sports psychologist' of sorts

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/gaa/dessie-farrells-influence-reaping-rewards-in-dublin-915587.html

My first thought was ah jayus that went well beat Galway lose to Laois it must have been Dessie's fault?

:)

Met him a few times. Seems nice serious sort of a chap. Would get the impression he is a bit introverted, but then so is JG basically. Will be very different style I think. Like what he has done with Fianna so we wont be seeing any reversion to negativity for sure.

:)

Met him a few times. Seems nice serious sort of a chap. Would get the impression he is a bit introverted, but then so is JG basically. Will be very different style I think. Like what he has done with Fianna so we wont be seeing any reversion to negativity for sure.

Ah Dessie seems like a very quiet fella the opposite to way he was on the field.
    In his book Tangled Up in Blue 2005 -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dessie-Tangled-Up-Blue-Farrell/dp/1860591981

He was very open about how the GAA was a contributor to the break up his marriage and how he had suicidal tenancies (ironic when you think he was working in psychiatric hospital at the time.)

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/dub-star-blames-football-for-break-up-of-marriage-25968546.html

• Registered Users Posts: 19,065 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Ah Dessie seems like a very quiet fella the opposite to way he was on the field.
    In his book Tangled Up in Blue 2005 -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dessie-Tangled-Up-Blue-Farrell/dp/1860591981

He was very open about how the GAA was a contributor to the break up his marriage and how he had suicidal tenancies (ironic when you think he was working in psychiatric hospital at the time.)

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/dub-star-blames-football-for-break-up-of-marriage-25968546.html

Not ironic at all. You find a lot of people who work in mental health services either had or have mental health problems of their own.

Anyway... I digress...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,065 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Delighted to see Dessie take on the mantle.

COYBIB!

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Paranoid Mandroid

From Waterford whispers: "Dessie Farrell appointed all Ireland 2020's winning manager" haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

From Waterford whispers: "Dessie Farrell appointed all Ireland 2020's winning manager" haha
    I think they'll win it this year and won't win a match by less then 5 points. Most matches will be hammerings. No 5 in a row pressure and I can't see a copper sending off happening again. 6 in a row will happen and the sport will be even further into the doldrums.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    I think they'll win it this year and won't win a match by less then 5 points. Most matches will be hammerings. No 5 in a row pressure and I can't see a copper sending off happening again. 6 in a row will happen and the sport will be even further into the doldrums.

Love your optimism, hope you’re right

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Great to see that the Hurlers got the 2020 (in 2019) season off to a winning start, even if the slow start is a familiar tale. Still though, looked like we took control and saw out the game comfortably, with a second string team. McMullan was meant to be good, we need new faces in the team.

The long road back!

Good to see he is trying out new players, Be interesting to see if some of them make it onto league panel. I'd imagine a few of the regulars will be under scrutiny after Portlaoise.

I wish I had the confidence of a meath man! I'm convinced there will be a dip in Dublin performance next year. Plus those Kerry feckers will be waiting for thier chance this time. Plus I don't see the sport in the doldrums at all, Dublin raised the bar, Kerry are trying to imitate them. It is up to the weaker members of class to put the effort in and try and catch up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭dunnerc

Cheer up Jack_Goff its nearly Christmas ;)

Watched the drawn game again last night.

Really was an heroic performance, but in retrospect I had imagined Dublin as having survived more comfortably. Definitely had upper hand in last 5/6 minutes, and had the last chances to win it, but had forgotten they had only equalised coming into added time.

Anyway, the notion that Dublin will sail to several more successive wins is illusory on all sides. I think this year marks the beginning of a transition in all sorts of ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Really was an heroic performance, but in retrospect I had imagined Dublin as having survived more comfortably. Definitely had upper hand in last 5/6 minutes, and had the last chances to win it, but had forgotten they had only equalised coming into added time.

Anyway, the notion that Dublin will sail to several more successive wins is illusory on all sides. I think this year marks the beginning of a transition in all sorts of ways.

Let em' think that. We're ruining their Christmas dinners, embrace it.

Haters will hate!

Nothing they will ever say, or nothing that will ever happen to Dublin in future will ever compensate for their hurt :-)

• Advertisement

Yep, I don't think we will ever see the like of a Dublin team like it again, and some people will only realise what they saw when those lads are gone.

Fellas that go to the Dubs games regularly, know that there were little signs of a dip here or there in league/championship. Tactical nous and man management won the 2019 AI. But some people think it can be bought.
    But those that say it are not real sports fans as we all know.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement