Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,843 ✭✭✭billyhead

Does anyone know when the backroom team will be announced? IMO Jayo will be part of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,653 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

billyhead wrote: »
    Does anyone know when the backroom team will be announced? IMO Jayo will be part of it.

Wondering the same myself?....

Have a feeling likes of Declan Darcy won’t be involved,Dessie was a legendary player and very successful underage coach but he would not be the easiest man to work with on a coaching ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,843 ✭✭✭billyhead

Wondering the same myself?....

Have a feeling likes of Declan Darcy won’t be involved,Dessie was a legendary player and very successful underage coach but he would not be the easiest man to work with on a coaching ticket.

I think Declan Darcy can't commit this time now due to work commitments. Paul Clarke or Mick Deegan maybe involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭Gael85

I think Declan Darcy can't commit this time now due to work commitments. Paul Clarke or Mick Deegan maybe involved.

Maybe Paul Clarke. Deegan is managing Ashbourne this year. His son Michael has transferred back to Ashbourne too.

Dessie will more than likely have Mick Galvin, Alan McNally and Philip McElwee integrated with Jim Gavin old backroom team. Jayo doesn't get on with Dessie so can't see him involved net year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

With it being Christmas now I guess we can take it that Cluxton (38), MDM and McManamon (both 33) are staying, along with McMahon (32) and Cian O'Sullivan (31).....?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Gael85 wrote: »
    Maybe Paul Clarke. Deegan is managing Ashbourne this year. His son Michael has transferred back to Ashbourne too.

Not one Isles player from good Dublin teams came back to club,

Bit of a shame really, and big part of spectacular decline.

mystic86 wrote: »
    With it being Christmas now I guess we can take it that Cluxton (38), MDM and McManamon (both 33) are staying, along with McMahon (32) and Cian O'Sullivan (31).....?

Wouldn't put money on that. We will know more after their post Christmas holiday and what sort of panel Farrell names for the league. MDM is going to be on missing list anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Is it a given that he'll name a panel? Don't think Jim Gavin did. We figured it out for ourselves based in who was or wasn't playing, or dropped players with media profiles (like Eamon Fennell) talking about it in interviews later.

Do they not have to name a panel for each competition? Thought that applied to everything. Certainly applies to championship club or county/

• Advertisement

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Do they not have to name a panel for each competition? Thought that applied to everything. Certainly applies to championship club or county/

Probably don’t or you couldn’t have things like Connolly coming back this year or when Tyrone bring players back in midway through.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

There probably is a list of players on the panel that is given to the county board or to HQ. There would have to be for logistical purposes, insurance purposes etc etc. But it's never been released to the public, as far as I'm aware of. It wasn't during Jim Gavin's tenure anyway.

Even if it is released, it's pretty meaningless to a degree. Players come & go if they are being rested over the winter, or rehabbing a niggle, or recovering from surgery. Just because a lad is or isn't on the panel in January or February, it's not a given that it will be the same story in August/September.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Watched the drawn game again last night.

Really was an heroic performance, but in retrospect I had imagined Dublin as having survived more comfortably. Definitely had upper hand in last 5/6 minutes, and had the last chances to win it, but had forgotten they had only equalised coming into added time.

Anyway, the notion that Dublin will sail to several more successive wins is illusory on all sides. I think this year marks the beginning of a transition in all sorts of ways.
    Serious prediction, Dublin will win every Leinster this decade but will lose a few league titles. As for All Irelands there is only Kerry who could challenge and maybe Cork in a few years. The big question is how long until they peak and when they do will Dublin have dipped enough if at all.

I see Dublin as being 8 points above kerry this year when both were on form and no cooper like sending offs. I think next year that gap could close but just as easily go the other way. At best I think kerry can narrow it to 4 or 5 but not enough to stop the 6.

The more all Irelands Dessie wins the easier it will get for him. I can see another 5 in a row if he wins next year.

Next years championship is the most important ever. It will decide if Dublin have reached a height unattainable by counties and if they can seamlessly remain at that level or go higher again.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

These Kilcoo lads are diving all over the place. Ref falling for it too.

Game over now. Boden been dire. The favourite title weighs heavily..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Slattsy wrote: »

Kilcoo look intent on shooting themselves in the foot.

Bodens press paying dividends.

Ain't seen as much diving from a team since El Classico games a few years back.

Boden really shooting themselves in the foot the last 5 mins. Should be level.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Boden poor enough, especially playing the ref, but he has ridden them sideways, can’t buy a free up front then frees out for every little dive. 2 black cards to none is a travesty.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,758 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I am trying to think of a match that Dublin lost v Kildare years ago in the leinster championship. I think it might have been early 2000's. It's annoying me.
    For some reason in my head Padraig Brennan and Tadgh Fennin got a goal each and Dublin were about 6 up at one stage. Kildare got level and the Dublin heads dropped.

I think I might be mixing up games because I cannot find a match where Padraig Brennan and Tadgh Fennin scored against Dublin in a Leinster game. Would it be the leinster football final 2000 I am thinking of but getting mixed up with the scorers? Were Dublin about 6 up at one stage in that game?

The scorers of the goals in 2000 were Early and Brennan.

Or was there another game where Dublin folded dramatically v Kildare in a leinster championship game - where 2 goals were conceded? :confused:

Padraig Brennan and Tadgh Fennin are in my head as being the goal scorers - and I remember feeling sickened completely.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement

Boden really shooting themselves in the foot the last 5 mins. Should be level.

It will be another handy all ireland for Corofin I think.
    Strangely there have being no negative articles and stories written about thier domination - because those type of critics do not seem to follow the club game.

As for Boden lets be honest they are not even the best team in Dublin you could pick two or three ahead of them on paper.
    Plus when Boden won the AI club 15/16 they really rode thier luck should have got knocked out to Clontarf that year if they had any cop when they were a man up (MDM off). Also Portlaoise had Boden beaten in a leinster game but blew it.
    A handy win in the final against castlebar glossed over the other games.

Boden are always a funny team to me the same it was the same core of lads carrying the team (at a high level) in hurling and football for ages.

I am trying to think of a match that Dublin lost v Kildare years ago in the leinster championship. I think it might have been early 2000's. It's annoying me.
    For some reason in my head Padraig Brennan and Tadgh Fennin got a goal each and Dublin were about 6 up at one stage. Kildare got level and the Dublin heads dropped.

I think I might be mixing up games because I cannot find a match where Padraig Brennan and Tadgh Fennin scored against Dublin in a Leinster game. Would it be the leinster football final 2000 I am thinking of but getting mixed up with the scorers? Were Dublin about 6 up at one stage in that game?

The scorers of the goals in 2000 were Early and Brennan.

Or was there another game where Dublin folded dramatically v Kildare in a leinster championship game - where 2 goals were conceded? :confused:

Padraig Brennan and Tadgh Fennin are in my head as being the goal scorers - and I remember feeling sickened completely.

That was 2000 Leinster final replay. Fennin and Earley got the goals. Dublin lack of a freetaker cost them the game the first day. Fennin scored 2 goals against us in 2002 Leinster final.

Gael85 wrote: »
    That was 2000 Leinster final replay. Fennin and Earley got the goals. Dublin lack of a freetaker cost them the game the first day. Fennin scored 2 goals against us in 2002 Leinster final.

Ah right so - thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Boden threw that game away. They owned the last quarter but kicked few stupid wides and turned over cheap possession. Basquel and Keaney didn't have a great game. Dont particularly rate Kilcoo and felt Boden v Corofin would have made a better final but hats off to them for edging out a tight game.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,125 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Great news to see Stephen staying for one more year.

Guess that's that where gonna have to go and do 6 in a row now!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

In other news, our hurlers are continuing their good form in the Walsh cup, two wins from two so far, and so long as they avoid a ridiculously heavy defeat to Laois tomorrow, then they'll play Galway this Saturday. It seems insane that Dublin will have to play three games in the space of a week, while our opponents for the third game will be coming in cold, but that's GAA for you.

The only real niggle about the last performance is that once again, we switched off mid way through the first half, nine points up, and allowed them to score 8 points to cut our lead to 1. We still don't have the killer instinct to kill teams off, always leaving a way back.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,388 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Great news to see Stephen staying for one more year.

Guess that's that where gonna have to go and do 6 in a row now!!

Comerford is only 22 so, will have a little more experience also under his belt when Stephen does actually wrap up his career. Will probably get some games in the league again.

Incidentally, what other goalkeepers are impressing out there in Dublin at the minute ?

CatInABox wrote: »

The only real niggle about the last performance is that once again, we switched off mid way through the first half, nine points up, and allowed them to score 8 points to cut our lead to 1. We still don't have the killer instinct to kill teams off, always leaving a way back.

It is fatal flaw. Galway will be out to prove a point and any slippage like that again will lead to a hiding.

Its only Walsh Cup but these sort of flaws can come to define a team. It was main factor in all of championship defeats in games they should have closed out. Even Fitz said he thought Wexford were dead and buried at one stage but Dublin allowed them back into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

CatInABox wrote: »

Did you notice it coincided with Ronan Hayes moving from midfield to closer to goal.

I don't know if he's mobile enough for midfield in the summer but i thought he had a smashing game the other day.

• Advertisement

I have to admit that I am still down over the Laois game last year.

I thought Dublin had gotten over the stage of abject surrenders to lets face it a pretty limited side that was in bonus territory.

On other hand, year would have ended with monumental tanking by Tipp so I don't know.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement