Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,758 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Bonniedog wrote: »
    I have to admit that I am still down over the Laois game last year.

I thought Dublin had gotten over the stage of abject surrenders to lets face it a pretty limited side that was in bonus territory.

On other hand, year would have ended with monumental tanking by Tipp so I don't know.

The current Dublin hurlers really remind me of the footballers from 20 years ago. No consistency, put a bit of pressure on them and they fold.
    Much to the frustration of the warriors on team, who are let down by the casualness/fear of thier teammates.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

The current Dublin hurlers really remind me of the footballers from 20 years ago. No consistency, put a bit of pressure on them and they fold.
    Much to the frustration of the warriors on team, who are let down by the casualness/fear of thier teammates.

Main memory is one fella turning his back near the end when Nolan was desperately looking for a target. I don't get that to be honest.

It is fatal flaw. Galway will be out to prove a point and any slippage like that again will lead to a hiding.

Its only Walsh Cup but these sort of flaws can come to define a team. It was main factor in all of championship defeats in games they should have closed out. Even Fitz said he thought Wexford were dead and buried at one stage but Dublin allowed them back into it.

Weren't they a 5 points up v Wexford or something? Then ended up jammying the draw.
    The worst part about that game for me was I was in the terrace church side and could not see the scoreboard. Lost track of the scores. So I had no notion what the result was at the final whistle when the pen went in - until I asked. :o

Main memory is one fella turning his back near the end when Nolan was desperately looking for a target. I don't get that to be honest.

In my head I am kind of focusing on the hurlers this year as number 1.
    Footballers number 2.
    Probably for the first time in my life I just feel the hurlers are the interesting ones to watch now. No one knows what sort of year they could have.

The hurlers need the support. The footballers are grand plus it is, mission accomplished with them. Unless Dessie starts picking real left field players for the panel it is not going to raise an eyebrow for me.

Weren't they a 5 points up v Wexford or something? Then ended up jammying the draw.
    The worst part about that game for me was I was in the stand church side and could not see the scoreboard. Lost track of the scores. So I had no notion what the result was at the final whistle when the pen went in - until I asked. :o

I was behind the Ciarans end goal. After nearly 50 years of this I was thinking never a fkn again. How he nailed the penalty I don't know.

Great win over Galway but seen this for a lifetime. One heroic performance then back to where we were.

That's our fate I think..

• Advertisement

I was behind the Ciarans end goal. After nearly 50 years of this I was thinking never a fkn again. How he nailed the penalty I don't know.

Great win over Galway but seen this for a lifetime. One heroic performance then back to where we were.

It's awful annoying they seem just that few players short.
    Even more annoying when you consider Con, Costello, Kilkenny. Even D. Connolly.

In my head it would be great if they said as collective we decided to move to the Dublin hurlers for the foreseeable, as the the five in a row is done with the footballers.

I was all hyped up after the Galway game.
    But I didn't even go to the Laois game (I assumed like the Dublin players) that it would a foregone conclusion.

Would it make a difference? Apart from Callaghan none of them are playing high standard club and Callaghan was shadow of himself this year, bearing in mind the assassination attempt by Nolan and almost no game time hurling at all this year.

Keaney is just unique in having come back from football successfully. Shane as well in fairness. He was largely responsible for the Galway win and leaves it all there and he's 38 now?

I was all hyped up after the Galway game.
    But I didn't even go to the Laois game (I assumed like the Dublin players) that it would a foregone conclusion.

Don't go there :mad:

Kenny was in Thurles watching Munster final same day Laois beat Westmeath in McDonagh final///

Don't go there :mad:

Kenny was in Thurles watching Munster final same day Laois beat Westmeath in McDonagh final///

Ah Jayus that is even worse.
    Eddie Brennan would have got a real kick out of that

• Advertisement

Ah Jayus that is evenhe might ha worse.
    Eddie Brennan would have got a real kick out of that

I think he might have referred to it!

That was worst thing of all. He thinks we are a fkn joke and we did nothing to change that.

Would it make a difference? Apart from Callaghan none of them are playing high standard club and Callaghan was shadow of himself this year, bearing in mind the assassination attempt by Nolan and almost no game time hurling at all this year.

Keaney is just unique in having come back from football successfully. Shane as well in fairness. He was largely responsible for the Galway win and leaves it all there and he's 38 now?

Kilkenny and Costello would probably take a while to get thier touch back for the hurling at intercounty. But I think it would freshen it up. When Dotsy moved to the hurlers years ago he made a massive difference. But was he was dropped from the footballers. I suppose there is no chance of Kilkenny or Con being dropped by Dessie.
    Costello - maybe...
    I can't remember if Keaney was dropped from the footballers the first time 'back in the day' was it for the love of hurling he switched?

Kilkenny and Costello would probably take a while to get thier touch back for the hurling at intercounty. But I think it would freshen it up. When Dotsy moved to the hurlers years ago he made a massive difference. But was he was dropped from the footballers. I suppose there is no chance of Kilkenny or Con being dropped by Dessie.
    Costello - maybe...
    I can't remember if Keaney was dropped from the footballers the first time 'back in the day' was it for the love of hurling he switched?

Cant recall. He was probably gone from footballers. Just watching him the other day for Boden. He still burst through lads half his age, Heart of a lion. Hurlers would have won nothing without him .

Cant recall. He was probably gone from footballers. Just watching him the other day for Boden. He still burst through lads half his age, Heart of a lion. Hurlers would have won nothing without him .

He is/was one of the few who those from the 'traditional hurling counties' would love to have playing for them.
    Crummy and EOD are pushing up that category too I think.

Eoghan is great player. One of those who took the Laois defeat particularly badly and one of few who went down with his boots on.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Got a small measure of revenge tonight, and saw off Laois comfortably enough in the end. Took until midway through the second half until we truly finished them off though, up to that point they'd kept around 4, 5, 6 points behind.

https://twitter.com/DubGAAOfficial/status/1215381770557906944

Any time we beat them fkers is good night :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

He is/was one of the few who those from the 'traditional hurling counties' would love to have playing for them.
    Crummy and EOD are pushing up that category too I think.

Remember Nicky English saying he would have taken Shane Ryan as a Tipp player in a heartbeat

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Glad to hear Connolly is staying in the squad now for 2020 also. I really hope he gets a few good games under his belt in the league. Can't wait for the Kerry match in a couple of weeks time. COYBIB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Longford 1-13(16) Dublin 3-06(15). No that's not a typo,we did only register a paltry six points.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

3 goals though. Not too shabby for early January.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,125 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Some amount of subs in that game today!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

ProudDUB wrote: »
    3 goals though. Not too shabby for early January.

Cons brother chipping in with two of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭rolling boh

just back from the game hard to make much of it. Mad number of subs with quite a few coming back on so really like a workout the free count went seriously against us later in the game particularly so we did not get the lead we needed to stay ahead .But at least players got some time on the pitch .

Bret Hart wrote: »
    Longford 1-13(16) Dublin 3-06(15). No that's not a typo,we did only register a paltry six points.

Dessie out!
    Gilroy would have won that one....

Playing as full forward player/manager.... ;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

The hurlers walsh cup campaign came to an end against Galway, which isn't terribly surprising to be honest. 3 games in the space of a week is an intense schedule, particular when you're missing players to all the college teams as well.

Quite happy with how it's gone so far, 3 relatively comfortable wins in the round robin stage against teams that we should really being winning against, with Galway being a step too far with that schedule. Would have liked to have seen what we could do with them if we didn't have a game just a few days ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Dublin were the better team for long periods but silly wides and Cathal Mannion were the difference between the sides. Also, our newbies were worse than their newbies.

On the plus side our more established players played really well. O'Rorke, Boland and Tomas Connolly are really cementing their places on the team.

Looking forward to the Kilkenny game in a couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Just wonderin' if there's any truth in the rumour that Healy Park is to have work done on its pitch around the same time the Dubs are due to play there.

I've a nice room booked in the Silver Birch that weekend and hoping the match will go ahead there and not in Enniskillen or elsewhere.
    Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Read that they're doing work on it in the Summer and it won't be available for any possible Super 8 games. Think it'll be alright for the league

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement