Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Billy Mays wrote: »
    Read that they're doing work on it in the Summer and it won't be available for any possible Super 8 games. Think it'll be alright for the league

Thanks. Mayo men just winding me up so!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

https://cdn.radiocms.net/radio-cms/uploads/2020/01/15191033/1501-Paul-Mannion-POD.mp3

Very interesting and thought provoking interview with Paul Mannion.

No more coddle for this disciple of a more sustainable planet.Quite an interesting choice of undergraduate degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Interesting point he makes about the new mark.

Games will turn potentially into a kick pass leading to a free deciding games.

Of course we wont know until we see it in reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,065 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Interesting point he makes about the new mark.

Games will turn potentially into a kick pass leading to a free deciding games.

Of course we wont know until we see it in reality.

This was alway my fear for the sport when the Mark was expanded upon. The thoughts of it turning into Aussie rules leaves me cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Not one person I've spoken to about the mark thinks it's a good idea. I find it utterly bizarre that it passed with a 69% vote at congress. Hopefully it turns into a complete disaster and they bin it off after a year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭PressRun

This was alway my fear for the sport when the Mark was expanded upon. The thoughts of it turning into Aussie rules leaves me cold.

Worrying indeed. I'd be no great fan of all these rule changes. Who is asking for it and what's the motivation?

The proximity of GAA to Aussie Rules at the moment, on a few fronts, is not something I'd be keen on.

The motivation is that once you set up a committee they have to come up with something. Usually something ridiculous.

Wasn't there a saying about a camel being a horse designed by a committee.

PressRun wrote: »
    Worrying indeed. I'd be no great fan of all these rule changes. Who is asking for it and what's the motivation?

The proximity of GAA to Aussie Rules at the moment, on a few fronts, is not something I'd be keen on.

The motivation is change for change sake or to counter Dublin.

There is an obsession for bringing "high-fielding" back to its 70s/80s nadir/peak.

There is an obsession for bringing "high-fielding" back to its 70s/80s nadir/peak.

That is no doubt part of the fantasy, but as Jack and Mannion and others from all counties have pointed out, the reality will not be some Mick O'Connell rising 20 feet off the ground to catch a ball kicked from 60 yards but a 30 metre diagonal kick into the scoring range into the chest.

Dublin could do that till the cows come home. It will be terrible to watch. Gaelic footballs equivalent not only of the Aussie mark but at end of games potentially like free throw fouls in basketball. Last team to get a mark wins. It will be awful/

That is no doubt part of the fantasy, but as Jack and Mannion and others from all counties have pointed out, the reality will not be some Mick O'Connell rising 20 feet off the ground to catch a ball kicked from 60 yards but a 30 metre diagonal kick into the scoring range into the chest.

Dublin could do that till the cows come home. It will be terrible to watch. Gaelic footballs equivalent not only of the Aussie mark but at end of games potentially like free throw fouls in basketball. Last team to get a mark wins. It will be awful/

And we'll take advantage of the rules and we will be the worst in the world for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,868 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Having lived through the 70s/80s, they had hand-passed goals back then, which they banned in order to bring "high-fielding" back to its 50s/60s peak.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,868 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Yes, moving the ball by handpass around the 45 line, waiting for a run into space by Con or Mannion to be fed by an accurate kickpass from Ciaran or Dermo.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Mod: Do not discuss unsubstantiated rumours of a personal nature here.

Every successful Irish person is attempted to be dragged into the mire by people who never did anything that anyone will recall. Sad fks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Bit of help lads.

Row JJ in Cusack, guaranteed to get wet, 50/50 depending on the wind or dry for the night?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Bit of help lads.

Row JJ in Cusack, guaranteed to get wet, 50/50 depending on the wind or dry for the night?

You should be safely far enough back to stay dry unless you've a gale blowing into the Cusack.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,758 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Bit of help lads.

From EE back in the cusack is termed as 'covered' so you should be grand.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,749 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Joekers

Congratulations to Jim again on receiving the freedom of the city.

https://twitter.com/IndoSport/status/1218607578730631168?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Thanks seligehgit and gormdubhgorm for answers. Will bring change of clothes as always just in case. 4 hours home wet never good.

Enjoy game

• Advertisement

Joekers wrote: »
    Congratulations to Jim again on receiving the freedom of the city.

https://twitter.com/IndoSport/status/1218607578730631168?s=19

Why is it a bow and arrow? :confused:
    Plus shouldn't there be 6 arrows? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

A marksman in the Irish defence forces gets a badge depicting a bow and arrow on his army tunic.
    In Jim's case I think this is quite apt. ðŸ¹ðŸ¹ðŸ¹

• Registered Users Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭dobman88

I actually thought that was class and just came in to say fair dues to him. Thought the whole thing looked very well done, the bow and arrow is unique and cool and hes fully deserving of every accolade he gets. Be a long time before we see his like again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Máith an fear Jim. It's a privilege and and honour to call the same city home as you.

Thanks seligehgit and gormdubhgorm for answers. Will bring change of clothes as always just in case. 4 hours home wet never good.

Enjoy game

Don't bring a change of clothes. That's way too much hassle. If it rains, just move to an empty seat further back (under the concrete overhang part of the Upper Cusack) where it's dry. I dunno what game you're going to, but if it's the club finals, or an upcoming league game, Croker will be nothing close to full. You'll have thousands of dry, empty seats to choose from.

Just watching that AI club football final it was as if Corofin never saw any Dublin matches and how to breakdown the ultra defensive team? :confused:

1) Don't bring the ball into the tackles
    2) Play handpasses and wait
    3) Maybe take the odd long shot

Instead they did mostly the opposite for ages.

Amazed how poorly they started you would swear it was a new invention they were up against.

I couldn't get my head around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Any of ye heading into Dorset St today to collect your freebie Parnell Pass Spring Series ticket?

If so, can you check if you can get a stand ticket, if your PP is for the terrace.

They seem to have a different policy on it every year. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

GAA tourist for a day, bringing some foreign friends to the game on Saturday, Lower Hogan, Row N, I assume this is too far down to catch the cover judging by the other comments? Or is Hogan better than the Cusack for cover?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭muddle84

hots wrote: »
    GAA tourist for a day, bringing some foreign friends to the game on Saturday, Lower Hogan, Row N, I assume this is too far down to catch the cover judging by the other comments? Or is Hogan better than the Cusack for cover?

The stands are physically identical to the best of my knowledge. It all depends on what way the wind is blowing which one is better for cover on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,125 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

From what I can see of the forecast for Saturday should be ok fingers crossed!

Sure I'll be right at the front of 308 so if anyone's getting wet or cold it's meself! Ha

• Advertisement

hots wrote: »
    muddle84 wrote: »
    The stands are physically identical to the best of my knowledge. It all depends on what way the wind is blowing which one is better for cover on the day.

The roof on the Hogan is ever so slightly longer so there's more cover.

You should be able to move I woudl think on the day.

Has there been any expectation on what sort of crowd is to be expected?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement